GUILTY TX - Melissa Sowders, 26, Harris County, 26 December 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know it doesn't matter now, but did MS think he would send the police scrambling to Oklahoma to search for him because of his hastily updated FB status that he'd just moved there? :facepalm: He should of at least faux moved to a state without the death penalty.

View attachment 39979

It seems completely desperate. When there is nothing left that can help you out of a situation, just do anything remotely possible of giving you any chance at all.

Those poor kids :(

Has said gun been located?

I haven't seen anything about a gun being located. LE have not mentioned it. It was the ex who said she pulled a gun on him when explaining to his friend why he had to kill her.
Since then we have found that she was naked from the waist down. So waiting for his excuse for that.

Well, a lot of people agree to meet at neutral locations when they are having custody disputes, that in itself isn't strange to me. McDonald's has the kiddie playground too. There is a lot we don't know yet, including why she went to MS's house. He could have called her last minute and somehow convinced her to come over to his apartment. The baby is sick, my car won't start blah blah blah. She probably went there against her better judgement. I believe MS found out she was pregnant through the grapevine and lured her to his place. I think they argued, he tore off her pants to look at her belly, became enraged and strangled her. His intention may not have been to kill her when he woke up that day, but he couldn't control himself. I'll go so far as to say I think he got some enjoyment out of it, as gruesome as that sounds. It's such a slow and personal way to kill someone.

LOL I just said the same thing before reading your post. There is just way too much we don't know!

Can you provide a link that says they met at McDonalds?
It makes more sense to me too that Melissa went straight to Matt's apartment after she dropped her BF off at work. That would explain why she left her BF's apartment so early. I think someone said JS had his own vehicle.

I think after Melissa arrived at Matt's she asked him to go get her baby and Matt left the apartment, went to his parents house and picked her up. The baby is quite young and being separated from her must have been very difficult.

According to Melissa's sister, Matt returned the baby to his parents house after Melissa was murdered. Matt's parents know what happened.

I understand why Matt may have been upset with Melissa especially since it was Christmas time.

Still reaching it seems. I'm not trying to start up anything at all but if you could would you mind explaining your last sentence? I don't get what you mean. Thanks!

Oh and she didn't leave her BF's apartment to go see Matt she left so early to get the BF to work on time.

I think it was late afternoon when the witness arrived at Matt’s apartment and saw Melissa’s body lying on the floor so I wonder if Melissa needed to leave to go pick up her boyfriend at work and Matt went ballistic?

We do not discuss comments/posts from face book or any social media site. It is all considered rumor and not allowed here.

We are a victim friendly site, you can discuss what we know thru main stream media and law enforcement. We do not bash the victim, and we don't speculate what the victim should have done or not done.

:tyou:

I doubt his version will hold much weight, unless it is verified that she often carried a gun and was liable to threaten with it. It is the most basic thing he could think of, IMO. And how does one strangle someone who has a gun pointing at you? If he disarmed her, he would have had no need to choke her to death. It doesn't make any sense at all.
How come they mentioned during the probable cause hearing she wasn't wearing pants? Thought it a bit odd. I understand that the witness was able to see the feet and legs of the victim...but were they implying something else?

I haven't seen anything about a gun being located. LE have not mentioned it. It was the ex who said she pulled a gun on him when explaining to his friend why he had to kill her.
Since then we have found that she was naked from the waist down. So waiting for his excuse for that.
Ok...so that was established. This guy has signed his own death warrant, IMO.

A rapist is only interested in taking the pants off. I think he may have heard that she was pregnant and he was going to show her who was in control. Maybe it all went hay wire at that time. Regarding blacking out. This seems to be the normal excuse. I have seen so many saying they blacked out and don't know how someone died. These people are usually fit and healthy. In all my long years on this earth I have never blacked out.
I could see her begging him not to rape her and telling him that she was pregnant right then. Then he unleashed all of the anger he could unleash and strangled her.

I finally finished reading and I just have to thank all of those who stepped forward and shared their personal stories. I so admire your bravery. You know of what you speak. Melissa was a brave and courageous soul. G-d bless her and her family.

I always feel so bad for adoptive parents when their kids do horrific things. His dad can't see it, because he himself has a pure and giving heart.

I just feel like at a glance, I can see murderous rage in this man's face.

Those poor, poor sweet little children - [modsnip], and then their dad murders her. I hope the Sowders family has enough energy and room in their hearts to raise these four deserving children.

I'm glad that Matt's father has come out and spoken. These are really good people. The Sowders family are some of the strongest people I know and they'll do whatever it takes to give those 4 little girls the best life they can. MOO.

Although I do the same thing, I always feel badly when the person we have all been searching for is found and we kind of forget and move on to the next case. Melissa's funeral was the 10th. RIP Melissa, you will not be forgotten.

Melissa RIP.jpg

I'll be watching for MS's trial and keep y'all updated.

So Matthew's next court date is 12/5/14. His defense attorney sure does like the reset request. I'll post it here if anything significant comes up.

Click to enlarge matthew sowder.jpg

Matthew Sowder's next court date is 3/18/2015. I wasn't sure what a disposition hearing was so I looked it up and it means they need to plea or set for trial. But after two disposition hearings already, what are they waiting for?

2cxdfcw.png

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-does-disposition-mean-if-someones-in-jail-and-527920.html
http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/Search.aspx

SimplexFish,

According to jail records, he was booked on 01/02/2014, and has not been released since. Just as Snoods mentioned, his next court appearance is scheduled for 03/18/2015.

sowders.jpg

I can't believe this slipped by me, but Matthew Sowders pleaded guilty on April 10th and was sentenced to 60 years! He will be eligible for parole after 30 years. (I think it unlikely that he will receive parole after 30 years though). Yikes, jail has not been kind to him.

jq4akg.jpg

Melissa's mother spoke at the sentencing hearing.

Sonia Newsom stood in a Harris County courtroom on Friday and faced the man who killed her 26-year-old daughter and unborn grandchild: her son-in-law.

"You've hurt a lot of people," Newsom said as she wiped tears from her eyes. "You're the one who did the crime, so now you have to do the time. Justice is going to be done."

Jimmy and Sonia Newsom, Melissa's parents
wi7xiq.jpg

Sowders' father also made a brief statement after the plea. I really feel for Matthew's family as well, they seem like really good people.

"This is really the best possible outcome," Dave Sowders said after the plea. "I love my son and I love Melissa. They loved each other, but their marriage tore them apart."

He said he hopes his son uses the time behind bars to better himself.

"I'm proud of him for taking responsibility and sparing everybody a trial," he said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...pleads-guilty-in-estranged-wife-s-6192077.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paladin1166
Back