GUILTY TX - Michael Swearingin, 32, & Jenna Scott, 28, Temple, Bell County, found deceased, 4 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JUN 7, 2023
[...]

Marks accepted his responsibility for putting himself in trouble as a child going to jail for armed robbery.

Outside of jail for armed robbery, Marks explained from his perspective why he was charged for disorderly conduct.

Enlisted in the military post 9/11, Marks explained why he was discharged from the Navy through his own choices.

Marks’ testimony over April Pease focused on his custody battle with her over Adrian.

Marks did admit he sent April an email saying he’d kill her.

Marks said the email was taken out of context and was sent to convey humor.

Marks started to cry when talking about first meeting Jenna and had to call for break.

[...]

The Killeen Daily Herald reported Wednesday that Marks recounted his multiple romantic relationships in an attempt to prove he is not violent with women.

“I’m not trying to beg or plead for anything,” Marks told the jury during his testimony, according to the Daily Herald, “I may be adding fuel to the fire (but) I wanted you to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.”

Thursday, June 8th:
*Sentencing Phase Hearing continues (Day 4) (@ 9:15am CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 12, 2019) – *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 48) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
*Charged & indicted (3/13/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with 1st degree felony burglary (on 8/21/18 at Scott’s home). $16,500 bond on charges of interference with an emergency call, making a false police report & violation of a protection order, bond for the burglary charge is $250K & the murder of multiple persons is carrying a bond of $1.5 million & $250K. Plead not guilty to all charges.
Trial was set to begin on 2/20/23 with jury selection. From 3/27/23 to 4/4/23 with a total of 69 potential jurors selected. Final individual voir dire happened on 4/13/23. Judge Steven J. Duskie presiding. DA Henry Garza & 1st Asst. DA Stephanie Newell. Marks is representing himself (pro se).
Trial began on 4/17/23 & State rested their case on 5/19/23. Defense started case on 5/19/23 & rested on 5/23/23.
Jury started deliberations on 5/24/23 @ ~1:30pm to 5pm – guilty of all charges. Sentencing phase started 6/5/23: Prosecutors rested on 6/6/23. Defense began their case on 6/6/23.

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 2/9/23 & Jury Selection Days 1 to 29 (2/20 to 4/4/23), 4/5/23 thru 4/13/23 & Trial Day 1-28 (4/17-5/24/23) & Sentencing Phase Day 1-2 (6/5 & 6/6/23) reference post #339 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...nna-scott-28-temple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-17

6/7/23 Sentencing phase hearing (Day 3): Defense witnesses: Marks called two of his female acquaintances to speak on their relationships with him. No names were given. Cedric Marks testified on his own behalf.
Marks will finish his testimony tomorrow & the prosecution will be able to cross examine Marks.
For more info see posts #340 (pg 17) & 341 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...emple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-18
Sentencing phase continues on Thursday, 6/8/23.

*Maya Renee Maxwell – Pretrial hearing on 7/7/23. Accepting a plea deal to serve 20 years for two counts of tampering with evidence with chance of parole.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where charges were dismissed, testified against Marks.

JUN 8, 2023
  • Marks admitted he lied to the jury and they were right to find him guilty.
  • Marks confirmed he did choke Jenna Scott, he regrets sending videos of Scott to UMHB, and agreed he violated his protection order to not contact her.
  • Marks says Maxwell and one of her exes abducted and killed Michael and Jenna in an abandoned home right behind where Michael lived.
  • Marks said he helped Maxwell put Jenna and Michael in his car to then bury them in Oklahoma.
  • Marks testified to Scott and Swearingen’s family and friends he was meant to be on trial for doing this and other past actions in his life, but restated he’s not the killer.
  • Marks said to Jenna & Michael’s family, “You need to know a stranger killed your son and Maxwell killed your daughter.”
  • After recess, the courtroom was left speechless and stunned as Cedric Marks requested the jury to give him the death penalty.
  • Marks confessed he’s had colon cancer for the last year not taking medication because he’s ready to go.
  • Marks said to do it for the Scott and Harrison families to give them resolution.
  • For Adrian and Logan — Marks said he needs to be on death row so his sons don’t have to put their lives on hold.
  • In the end Marks said he loved Jenna and still loves her, and he’s sorry he didn’t get to know Michael.
  • Marks said he isn’t asking for the death penalty because he’s going down.
  • Marks said he’d be going down anyway with health issues.
  • Marks told Garza he did not kill April Pease and said Ginell McDonough lied in her testimony on this situation.
  • Tomorrow, Marks will have his last witness testify and closing arguments will be held.

JUN 8, 2023
[...]

Marks asked for the death penalty from the jury. He said he deserves it for helping cover up the murders of Scott and Swearingin.

“I have not told the truth, I have been a liar. I agree with Mrs. Harrison, I deserve the harshest punishment. I helped cleaned it up and I lied to everyone about it. I’m not asking anyone to spare me anyway. I’m dealing with colon cancer and I’m ready to go. I’ve been an *advertiser censored**hole all my life and I’m going to die from a-hole cancer, that’s the funniest thing I heard. I’ve been ready to go for a long time, let me go. Help let me go,” said Marks.

[...]

During cross examination, Marks and Bell County District Attorney, Henry Garza, went toe to toe. This first questio

[...]

Friday, June 9th:
*Sentencing Phase Hearing continues (Day 5) (@ 9am CT) - TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK on Jan. 12, 2019) – *Cedric Joseph Marks (44/now 48) (ex bf of Scott’s) arrested (1/8/19) in Kent County, Mich. for a burglary warrant, waived extradition to Texas. *Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (5/10/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & tampering with evidence. $2,016,500 Bond. DA will seek DP. Bond reduction denied (3/30/21). Will be representing himself.
*Charged (2/4/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/10/19) with interfering w/emergency call, false report to police officer violating protective order, burglary habitation intend.
*Charged & indicted (3/13/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with 1st degree felony burglary (on 8/21/18 at Scott’s home). $16,500 bond on charges of interference with an emergency call, making a false police report & violation of a protection order, bond for the burglary charge is $250K & the murder of multiple persons is carrying a bond of $1.5 million & $250K. Plead not guilty to all charges.
Trial was set to begin on 2/20/23 with jury selection. From 3/27/23 to 4/4/23 with a total of 69 potential jurors selected. Final individual voir dire happened on 4/13/23. Judge Steven J. Duskie presiding. DA Henry Garza & 1st Asst. DA Stephanie Newell. Marks is representing himself (pro se).
Trial began on 4/17/23 & State rested their case on 5/19/23. Defense started case on 5/19/23 & rested on 5/23/23.
Jury started deliberations on 5/24/23 @ ~1:30pm to 5pm – guilty of all charges. Sentencing phase started 6/5/23: Prosecutors rested on 6/6/23. Defense began their case on 6/6/23.

Court information from 2/3/19 thru 2/9/23 & Jury Selection Days 1 to 29 (2/20 to 4/4/23), 4/5/23 thru 4/13/23 & Trial Day 1-28 (4/17-5/24/23) & Sentencing Phase Day 1-3 (6/5 to 6/7/23) reference post #342 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...nna-scott-28-temple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-18

6/8/23 Sentencing phase hearing (Day 4): Defense witness: Cedric Marks testified on his own behalf continues on stand. Marks asked for the death penalty from the jury. He said he deserves it for helping cover up the murders of Scott & Swearingin.
For more info see posts #343 & 344 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...emple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-18
Marks said he’ll bring in one more witness tomorrow morning before he rests. Sentencing phase continues on Friday, 6/9/23.

*Maya Renee Maxwell – Pretrial hearing on 7/7/23. Accepting a plea deal to serve 20 years for two counts of tampering with evidence with chance of parole.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing on 11/19/20 where charges were dismissed, testified against Marks.

JUN 9, 2023
[...]

The day started off with Marks’ sister, Darlena Marks-Simmons testifying.

Darlena said she’s voluntarily testifying because she loves her baby brother.

Marks-Simmons described Cedric as protective, having a calm demeanor, and being a great father.

[...]

Darlena recommended life without parole and said whoever did this should be held accountable.

The prosecution brought forth two officers who had arrested Marks as rebuttal witnesses, testifying Marks’ prior bad acts before the state rested its case.

[...]

Marks still asked for the death penalty and still accepts his responsibility in Michael and Jenna’s deaths, but he didn’t kill them.

Marks said, “I hope to live long enough because once the family’s know they were mislead, its going to be great.”

Going into the trial Marks said, ” [Its] A lot of frustration because I could have done the right thing in the first place, but I didn’t, and that’s why I’m sitting here now.”

In response to Bell County District Attorney Henry Garza’s previously asking Marks’ ‘are you ready?’ Marks ended his closing argument to tell Garza ‘b**** I was born ready.'”

[...]

The jury made its unanimous decision in two and a half hours.

Marks had no outburst when the sentencing was given.

Judge Steve Duskie told Marks he can make a direct appeal.

In the end Marks put in a motion for a new trial.

[...]

JUN 9, 2023
[...]

Garza compared the jury’s coming justice to a thunderstorm rolling overhead.

“You are the thunder of justice,” Garza said. “Let your thunder echo outside this courtroom for all to hear.”

About two hours later, the jury of 12 Bell County residents did just that — sentencing Marks to death.

[...]

In an impact statement before sentencing, Deborah Harrison, the mother of Michael Swearingin, told Marks he should thing about his victims.

“I want so bad to be able to forgive you,” Harrison said. “But you’re a narcissistic psychopath and I find it hard to get to that point.”

“I will no longer wait one more minute of my life thinking of you,” she said. “But you should definitely think about the people you took away from this world.”

[...]

I remember thinking they would never get finished with jury selection. I've never seen it take that long, but it was sure worth the wait. Outstanding job. MOO

Noting:

The victims' families have created a nonprofit in honor of Scott and Swearingin's memory. Priceless Beginnings strives to make a difference in the lives impacted by domestic violence. For more information and how to donate, click here.

June 16, 2023

Bell County, Tx (FOX44) – The Bell County Sheriff’s Department reports Cedric Marks has been transported to the Texas prison system.

A statement issued by Bell County Chief Deputy T.J. Cruz said, “The Bell County Sheriff’s Department has completed the transport of Cedric Joseph Marks from the Bell County Jail, turning him over to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice where he will serve his sentence. There were no incidents in the transport of this inmate.”

He was dropped off at the TDCJ Intake Unit, the Walls Unit, in Huntsville. All inmates are taken there first to do their classification and go through medical screening. He will later be moved to his assigned unit.

Based on Wiki, it appears he will be assigned to the Polunsky Unit which is in West Livingston, TX.

Texas State Penitentiary at Huntsville or Huntsville Unit (HV), nicknamed "Walls Unit", is a Texas state prison located in Huntsville, Texas, United States. The approximately 54.36-acre (22.00 ha) facility, near downtown Huntsville, is operated by the Correctional Institutions Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.[1] The facility, the oldest Texas state prison, opened in 1849.[2]

The unit houses the execution chamber of the State of Texas. It is the most active execution chamber in the United States, with 583 (as of March 9, 2023)[3] executions since 1982, when the death penalty was reinstated in Texas (see Lists of people executed in Texas).[4]

[...]

The Huntsville Unit is the location of the State of Texas execution chamber.[30] The TDCJ houses male death row inmates in the Polunsky Unit and female death row inmates in the Mountain View Unit.[31]

[...]

[...]

... The death row offenders live in single person, 60-square-foot (5.6 m2) cells,[37] with each cell having a slit window and a concrete door. There is a "tempered air" system intended to keep inside temperatures at 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius) or below. ...

Death row offenders receive no programming and are not allowed to work.[38] Death row prisoners receive meals through bean slots, gates in the cell doors. Whenever an offender is taken from his cell, such as when the offender goes to take a shower, the offender is strip searched.[39] The offenders receive individual recreation in a caged area.[37][39] Depending on the custody level, death row offenders may be eligible for having radios.[37] Death row inmates wear white jumpsuits, and the death row uniforms have the letters "DR" in black on the backs.[39]

[...]

Friday, July 7th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK 1/9/19) – *Maya Renee Maxwell (26/now 29) (Mark’s GF) arrested (1/11/19) & extradited from MI to TX (1/16/19), charged (1/16/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & 3rd degree tampering or fabricating physical evidence. $750K bond. Bond reduction denied (8/18/20).
Maxwell admitted in an arrest affidavit she took Swearingin’s car and drove it to Austin to hide it, was in the house with Marks when he reportedly killed Swearingin and Scott, drove with him to Oklahoma and was there when the bodies were buried.
Trial was set to begin on 11/15/21 continued no further dates. Maxwell is accepting a plea deal to serve 20 years for two counts of tampering with evidence with chance of parole for testifying at Marks' trial. And capital murder charge is dismissed.

Court info from 4/3/19 thru 2/9/23 reference post #306 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...emple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-16

3/31/23 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 5/19/23 @ 8:30am. Maxwell is accepting a plea deal to serve 20 years for two counts of tampering with evidence with chance of parole for testifying at Marks' trial. 5/19/23 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 7/7/23 @ 8:30am.
*Cedric Joseph Marks – Trial began on 4/17/23 & ended 6/9/23 with a guilty verdict of all charges & sentenced to death.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing was on 11/19/20: charges dismissed testified against Marks.

Bell County Odyssey Portal

THE STATE OF TEXAS VS MAXWELL, MAYA RENEE
Case Number FR80245
File Date 04/03/2019
CAPITAL MURDER OF MULTIPLE PERSONS 19.03(a)(7)

THE STATE OF TEXAS VS MAXWELL, MAYA RENEE
Case Number FR80233
File Date 01/13/2019
TAMPER/FABRICATE PHYS EVID W/INTENT TO IMPAIR 37.09(c)
  • 07/07/2023 Pre-Trial Hearing
    Judicial Officer Duskie, Steven J
    Hearing Time 8:30 AM
    Cancel Reason Other
  • 07/11/2023 Plea
    Judicial Officer Duskie, Steven J
    Hearing Time 8:30 AM

Tuesday, July 11th:
*Plea Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – TX – Michael Lee Swearingin (32) & Jenna Kay Scott (28) (Jan. 4, 2019, Temple; found in Clearview, OK 1/9/19) – *Maya Renee Maxwell (26/now 29) (Mark’s GF) arrested (1/11/19) & extradited from MI to TX (1/16/19), charged (1/16/19), indicted (4/3/19) & arraigned (4/26/19) with capital murder of multiple persons & 3rd degree tampering or fabricating physical evidence. $750K bond. Bond reduction denied (8/18/20).
Maxwell admitted in an arrest affidavit she took Swearingin’s car and drove it to Austin to hide it, was in the house with Marks when he reportedly killed Swearingin and Scott, drove with him to Oklahoma and was there when the bodies were buried.
Trial was set to begin on 11/15/21 continued no further dates. Maxwell is accepting a plea deal to serve 20 years for two counts of tampering with evidence with chance of parole for testifying at Marks' trial. And capital murder charge is dismissed.

Court info from 4/3/19 thru 2/9/23 reference post #306 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...emple-bell-county-4-jan-2019-2.577817/page-16

3/31/23 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 5/19/23 @ 8:30am. Maxwell is accepting a plea deal to serve 20 years for two counts of tampering with evidence with chance of parole for testifying at Marks' trial. 5/19/23 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 7/7/23 @ 8:30am.
7/7/23 Update: Plea hearing on 7/11/23.
*Cedric Joseph Marks – Trial began on 4/17/23 & ended 6/9/23 with a guilty verdict of all charges & sentenced to death.
*Ginell Marie McDonough – 1/31/20: Plead guilty. Sentencing was on 11/19/20: charges dismissed testified against Marks.

JUL 11, 2023
[...]

The hearing for Maya Maxwell was set for early this morning, but it is now rescheduled for August 1st. According to Maxwell’s defense attorney Kyle Watkins, “the basis of their motion was that Mr. Garza was not in town and he wanted to be here.”

[...]

“Maya Maxwell has an agreement with the state to plead guilty to tampering two counts of tampering with a corpse, which is punishable by 2 to 20 years in exchange for the dismissal of the capital murder charge and we were set for a plea today” says Watkins.

[...]

...she has already served over 4 years in jail, making her eligible to be considered for parole.

“Once she finally gets into her guilty plea, she will then be in the custody of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the prison system. And they have 180 days to interview her for parole. So that 180 day clock does not start until she enters or guilty plea,” says Watkins.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ademith83
Back