Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^rsbbm

This certainly comes as no surprise to me!

I'm currently following two murder cases in Texas -- a state case and a federal case, and for both-- it will also be more than two years before these defendants face a jury!

Also, in neither of the two cases has the issue of mental incompetence or insanity been raised.

I see no reason whatsoever to believe the murder case against Armstrong will be any different.

And per the following two Texas case timelines, I'm not sure what source or reason OP expected cited by the news reporter??

It's been more than two years since Austin, mother Heidi Broussard was murdered in December 2019 by her best friend, and Heidi's newborn daughter kidnapped.

It took 7 weeks for the 2020 grand jury indictment, and the defendant's first appearance was twice rescheduled.

For all of 2021, there was only one (virtual) status hearing which was held in lieu of a bond reduction hearing that was initially scheduled.

For 2022, there was one hearing in March where the defense challenged the search warrant, and on May 12, evidence the defense requested suppressed and/or thrown out, pursuant to the search warrant challenge heard in March, was denied. KVUE's timeline of the court case beginning 2019-22 is linked below.

It's also been more than two years since Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen was murdered on the military base in April 2020, and her case is being prosecuted by the Waco Division of the Texas Western District U.S. District Attorney's office.

After the victim's superior bludgeoned Vanessa to death with a hammer, the killer's girlfriend, CA, helped him dismember, burn, and hide the victim's body at another location. On June 30, 2020, the killer took his own life at the news Vanessa's hidden remains were discovered.

CA was subsequently arrested on July 2, 2020, and charged with three counts of conspiracy to corruptly alter, destroy, mutilate, or conceal an object, with the intent to obstruct justice. She was indicted on July 14, 2020.

On July 13, 2021, a superseding eleven-count indictment was filed against the defendant, CA. Court docket entries exceeding two years for this case are also linked below.

Since the pandemic lockdowns that began in March 2020 and the pandemic continued over the last two years, the backlog in the court system must be incredible in lots of cities.

Since the pandemic lockdowns that began in March 2020 and the pandemic continued over the last two years, the backlog in the court system must be incredible in lots of cities.
I just remembered another Texas case I followed -- August 2019, David Temple was convicted of murdering his pregnant wife, Belinda Lucas, for the 2nd time.

It's been almost 3 years since he was convicted and he's still waiting for a third jury to be empaneled to re-examine the evidence and decide on his punishment after the jury that convicted him could not decide on his punishment. His bond was set at $1M, and he remains in jail. The coronavirus pandemic has previously been cited as the reason for this court delay.

Kaitlin Armstrong’s attorney and sister have not yet responded to messages left for them by FOX reporters

I wonder if they will???
Her sister, Christine Armstrong, did not respond to messages seeking comment -- nor has she been charged with a crime.…
Armstrong’s attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday, the Fourth of July holiday.

I'm pretty shocked that the "Don't mess with Texas" state grants bonds for murder. As a proven flight risk, does the Judge have the discretion to order KA's bond cash only? By statute, it appears that KA can't be held for more than 60 days without bond but I imagine, given her hasty departure from Austin, KA probably needs the 15 or so delay days in Houston to secure her finances for her attorney's retainer, and the bond premium and collateral before arriving Austin. MOO

Capital murder is the only charge in Texas in which a defendant is not entitled to a bond as a general rule. If a judge wants to deny bond to a capital murder defendant, he or she can.

[...]

Even under the worst-case scenario, a murder or manslaughter defendant will be held without bond for only sixty days. And although capital murder defendants do not have the right to a bond, most judges will set bonds in capital murder cases as well. Whether the bond that the judge ultimately sets is one that the defendant can realistically make, however, is another matter entirely.

Are Murder And Manslaughter Bondable Charges In Texas?

I'm pretty shocked that the "Don't mess with Texas" state grants bonds for murder. As a proven flight risk, does the Judge have the discretion to order KA's bond cash only? By statute, it appears that KA can't be held for more than 60 days without bond but I imagine, given her hasty departure from Austin, KA probably needs the 15 or so delay days in Houston to secure her finances for her attorney's retainer, and the bond premium and collateral before arriving Austin. MOO

Capital murder is the only charge in Texas in which a defendant is not entitled to a bond as a general rule. If a judge wants to deny bond to a capital murder defendant, he or she can.

[...]

Even under the worst-case scenario, a murder or manslaughter defendant will be held without bond for only sixty days. And although capital murder defendants do not have the right to a bond, most judges will set bonds in capital murder cases as well. Whether the bond that the judge ultimately sets is one that the defendant can realistically make, however, is another matter entirely.

Are Murder And Manslaughter Bondable Charges In Texas?
Because of the use of a firearm, and the manner in which she ambushed Moriah, riddling her with bullets with the deliberate intent of murdering her — and with her fraudulent use of a passport and 43 days of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution which included illegal entry into another country —

I had assumed she would get no bail.

I think she’ll make it and enjoy her 8am — 8 pm curfew allowance. The temptation to unlawful flight will be strong.

Can you all remember any other cases in Texas where the alleged murdered who had also used a gun and fled the country to escape capture was to able to receive bail and pay the bond, released and was put on house arrest with a gps monitor ? Is this the way it’s always done in Texas? Is the any way a judge can revoke her bail before she makes it? I live in a state that does not allow bail for people charged with murder and I’m really shocked about Texas.

I follow the case in Houston where the 17 year old boy, David Castro, was fatally shot in a road rage incident after an Astros game with his dad. Even though there is overwhelming evidence against the killer, he has been out on bond since September. The law even allowed for bond to be denied in this case given the defendant's prior felony convictions and that he’s charged with a crime involving a deadly weapon. But the prosecutors abandoned their motion even asking for bond to be denied.

The victim's father said prosecutors told him seeking a denial of bond would require them to show more evidence against the defendant than they were comfortable sharing at such an early stage of a case. So maybe that's one reason why bond is given?

Father of 17-year-old slain in road rage shooting after Astros game demands policy change on bonds

Initially, he was clearly trying to do “damage control”. But - he lost the support of his community; for a champion, and such a late one, it might be more important. Plus, consider his own grief, grieving Mo, and his whole life he carved out by working hard. He might be somewhat irritable by nature. JMO. Well, this story, whatever the verdict, is going into the annals of psychology, because in many ways, it is an outlier. CS going through therapy and working hard to review his whole life would be a very good thing.

Also, to remind, sometimes men might be less culpable than it looks. Think of another story that went into the annals of psychology. The man was, initially, a player, but who would blame him now?
I finally had a chance to read up the Goylar case. Oh my stars! Frightening as all get out! She even killed her own pets! It gave me nightmares last night. I once had a woman so jealous and so very angry at me for no reason other than her partner was a paid instructor of mine. The first call she made to me - I quit the class. But she kept hounding me for months and accusing me of things I didn’t do. I was there to learn a new skill - in a public setting with other people around, not take her BF. The man later told my husband that from then on he was not allowed to ever have a female student in his class ever again. I was scared of that woman for years. Crazy eyes and everything. I thought she was going to break into our house or Id find my animals hanging from trees. Women’s insecurities and jealousy can get the best of them!! After reading that above case - I’m so creeped out! The things humans do! UGH!

I finally had a chance to read up the Goylar case. Oh my stars! Frightening as all get out! She even killed her own pets! It gave me nightmares last night. I once had a woman so jealous and so very angry at me for no reason other than her partner was a paid instructor of mine. The first call she made to me - I quit the class. But she kept hounding me for months and accusing me of things I didn’t do. I was there to learn a new skill - in a public setting with other people around, not take her BF. The man later told my husband that from then on he was not allowed to ever have a female student in his class ever again. I was scared of that woman for years. Crazy eyes and everything. I thought she was going to break into our house or Id find my animals hanging from trees. Women’s insecurities and jealousy can get the best of them!! After reading that above case - I’m so creeped out! The things humans do! UGH!
That must have been horrific for you! I also read up on that case last night. My God, I have no words.

Kaitlin Armstrong’s attorney and sister have not yet responded to messages left for them by FOX reporters

I wonder if they will???
Her sister, Christine Armstrong, did not respond to messages seeking comment -- nor has she been charged with a crime.…
Armstrong’s attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday, the Fourth of July holiday.

I wonder if they will???

Suspect the sister was interviewed by U.S. Marshals and is the source the US Marshals discuss in this link:Kaitlin Armstrong Captured in Costa Rica

I actually read an article (that I can't locate now) shortly after Kaitlin Armstrong's capture that went into more detail about the info the US Marshals obtained from this "source" including that the source told them the name Kaitlin was traveling under. I figure the source had to be the sister or another family member.

Suspect the sister was interviewed by U.S. Marshals and is the source the US Marshals discuss in this link:Kaitlin Armstrong Captured in Costa Rica

I actually read an article (that I can't locate now) shortly after Kaitlin Armstrong's capture that went into more detail about the info the US Marshals obtained from this "source" including that the source told them the name Kaitlin was traveling under. I figure the source had to be the sister or another family member.
I think so, yes.

Because of the use of a firearm, and the manner in which she ambushed Moriah, riddling her with bullets with the deliberate intent of murdering her — and with her fraudulent use of a passport and 43 days of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution which included illegal entry into another country —

I had assumed she would get no bail.

I think she’ll make it and enjoy her 8am — 8 pm curfew allowance. The temptation to unlawful flight will be strong.
Where would she stay if she makes bond? With CS? I kind of doubt that's a good idea. With her sister, the one who (allegedly) helped her flee? She'd have to stay in state I would think. There don't seem to be many options for that.

Yup. I also believe it’s the sister. If she traveled on her sisters passport, which it looks like she did, Authorities are DEFINITELY talking to the sister, unless she’s already retained an attorney. It doesn’t sound as though she was cooperating at first because I believe I read earlier that they had to get a search warrant. I have a feeling KA had a lot of help escaping and that person was of the same ilk as KA. JMO

Where would she stay if she makes bond? With CS? I kind of doubt that's a good idea. With her sister, the one who (allegedly) helped her flee? She'd have to stay in state I would think. There don't seem to be many options for that.

I wonder if KA's sister gave up her apartment/housing when she left Austin to go to Camp Haven in NY state. If not, then perhaps KA would stay there, while CS is in New York for the summmer. This would allow time for longer-term living arrangements (if needed) while KA is waiting for her trial.

Edited to add: If CA is not charged with anything, then I think they could probably live together. If CA is charged with a crime, it is probably best for her to not live with KA.

Now, the famed and very odd case of murdering a young woman from WA, Maricella Botello, also happened in TX. Of the three people involved, two, a female couple, posted bonds and were released in May; around Christmas, they simultaneously disabled GPS monitors and fled. Were found in Cambodia, if I remember correctly.

(We have a thread about it on WS, too. )

This thread discusses their escape

Last edited:
I assume that KA will be able to work while out on bond (if she gets out on bond) given the hours she is allowed to be out of her home during the day. I suppose that means she could resume teaching yoga. Maybe best to do it online under a pseudonym.

Now, the famed and very odd case of murdering a young woman from WA, Maricella Botello, also happened in TX. Of the three people involved, two, a female couple, posted bonds and were released in May; around Christmas, they simultaneously disabled GPS monitors and fled. Were found in Cambodia, if I remember correctly.

(We have a thread about it on WS, too. )
SBM, BBM
@SteveP @Sundog
Remember as soon as I saw that KA would have a GPS monitor and be allowed out from 8AM to 8PM I recalled cases of suspects posting bond and disabling the GPS? Here’s another I never even heard of ^^ :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheeseghost22