TX - Nichol Olsen, 37, & 2 daughters, found shot dead inside mansion, Bexar County, 10 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a presumptive chemical test that looks for nitrate, lead, and barium which are present in the gunpowder and primer. This test is essentially instantaneous color change reaction. There are two more involved tests (electron microscopy and ICP-MS) that both take a few hours to setup and run each. The turn around will depend on the backlog in the lab.

Yes to all of this. 100%. And the presumptive test wouldn’t be admissible in court.
They can delay everything as much as possible and use every legal loop hole. And people wonder why we have a delay and no decision yet? There is you answer folks! IMO of course :)

Truth is you can fake a suicide but you cant fake technology evidence.

Lets be honest what innocent person hires 3 attorneys before they have even been question? We have all seen the scenario played thousands of time before, a suspect is brought by the LE for questioning and the first thing is they say is "I want to speak to my attorney" or " No comment" That's whats being played out here except 3 attorneys were got before the first question was even asked.

Everything will come to light pretty soon like I said. Great job Sheriff keep pilling on the pressure.

Okay what did I miss? lol Where did we hear that CW is withholding/delaying something/anything? I can’t find the post where this originated. Of the many nonsensical things Sheriff has said the past 2 weeks, the one thing he was actually clear about was that CW was being completely cooperative. If he had asked for an attorney and refused to answer questions or refused to allow his phone records to be collected by LE, etc., this would, by definition, be UNcooperative behavior. Do you really think he hasn’t been questioned? Of course he has. It is common practice for LE to tell the public when someone refuses to submit to questioning or isn’t being cooperative. Why would the Sheriff not only keep this information from us, but go even further to mislead us and say he was fully cooperating? Did Sheriff give a different account today? Lastly, if he didn’t consent to his records being turned over to LE (which if “fully cooperating,” he would surely do), they would actually have to write a search warrant for them (TX law used to allow a subpoena, now need full-on search warrant). Assuming the warrant lays out PC, and a Judge signs it, there is not really anything anyone can do to stop LE from “executing the search.” And here, all they would need to show in the warrant language is PC that the records could contain SOME evidence related to a crime. Not even that the records would specifically incriminate CW, so that would be a super easy burden to meet considering they know his phone would have communication with NO all throughout and she’s at the center of the investigation.

Edited to add: IMO, MOO, etc.

Last edited:
IMO

Regarding the ongoing discussion of the phone records, I believe NO, CW and AM (16yo daughter of NO) will all have cell phones and perhaps other tablets and computers to interrogate data and then there is the matter of getting the data on cell phone pinging of cell towers to try to triangulate the user(s). My lay understanding is this process is quite complicated and can include forensic recovery of deleted data.

IMO

Handing over a phone or other e device is just the beginning of what may be a month of more of forensic analyses. I believe it would be a mistake to rush to judgment based on the time required for these analyses. The persons of interest have no control over that.

This is all IMO from a lay person perspective. If there is an expert in this thread please expound. Thank you.

I agree completely. I also think these type of searches/date retrieval is a huge (of not the only) reason that the FBI was called in. FBI generally has the ability to search electronics, in house, and more thoroughly and much faster than a lot of the state labs. So the FBI is probably helping sift through the huge amount of data involved in this investigation.

It is not the correct HS for where they lived. Clark would have been a drive but maybe it was the HS she went to her Freshman year. Do we know where NO and the kids lived last year - her daughters Freshman year of HS?

I think it is the right high school, but not the right elementary school for the address.

Not sure if it’s wise to butt into the RMathers90 controversy, but there is something to back up one of the things they said. There’s this statement from Alexa’s father, indicating that she spent weekends with his sister/her aunt. It seems she did enjoy a close relationship with his family. I think - MOO - it’s beautiful that she had a lovely extended family (and that Nichol didn’t get in the way of it), and my sympathies go to them as well.

“Carlos Montez, who lives in College Station with his wife as she attends Texas A&M University, said his family is devastated by his daughter's death, as they had a close-knit relationship. He said Alexa Montez would stay with his sister every weekend and that his sister treated her as if she were her own daughter.”

Father identifies teen killed in triple shooting as Clark High School sophomore
Not to jump in on this either(lol), but as a young teen I spent every weekend with my aunt. In the summers I spent mon-fri with her, and weekends with my parents. I still wouldn't (and neither did they) describe that as me living with my aunt P. There's a difference imo between someone staying with a relative weekly and "living with" but maybe that's just me.

As an aside: I didn't stay with her for any weird or problematic reason. I just liked me aunt a lot. My cousin and I both stayed with her mon-fri each summer, and then later with her new husband as well(who has now been my uncle for about 20 years)

Yes to all of this. 100%. And the presumptive test wouldn’t be admissible in court.

Okay what did I miss? lol Where did we hear that CW is withholding/delaying something/anything? I can’t find the post where this originated. Of the many nonsensical things Sheriff has said the past 2 weeks, the one thing he was actually clear about was that CW was being completely cooperative. If he had asked for an attorney and refused to answer questions or refused to allow his phone records to be collected by LE, etc., this would, by definition, be UNcooperative behavior. Do you really think he hasn’t been questioned? Of course he has. It is common practice for LE to tell the public when someone refuses to submit to questioning or isn’t being cooperative. Why would the Sheriff not only keep this information from us, but go even further to mislead us and say he was fully cooperating? Did Sheriff give a different account today? Lastly, if he didn’t consent to his records being turned over to LE (which if “fully cooperating,” he would surely do), they would actually have to write a search warrant for them (TX law used to allow a subpoena, now need full-on search warrant). Assuming the warrant lays out PC, and a Judge signs it, there is not really anything anyone can do to stop LE from “executing the search.” And here, all they would need to show in the warrant language is PC that the records could contain SOME evidence related to a crime. Not even that the records would specifically incriminate CW, so that would be a super easy burden to meet considering they know his phone would have communication with NO all throughout and she’s at the center of the investigation.

Edited to add: IMO, MOO, etc.
The FBI can subpoena cell phone data/pings. My guess is that the sheriff could not persuade a judge to sign off on a search warrant because of lack of probable cause.

Social media seems to be turning this into a witch hunt for CW. Glad to see he has attorneys protecting his rights.

JMO

I agree completely. I also think these type of searches/date retrieval is a huge (of not the only) reason that the FBI was called in. FBI generally has the ability to search electronics, in house, and more thoroughly and much faster than a lot of the state labs. So the FBI is probably helping sift through the huge amount of data involved in this investigation.
And if the case was cut and dry, the FBI, IMHO, would not be needed. Some piece of the puzzle is still missing!

What we know is far smaller than what we do not know. Some of my many questions: 1) Were the children killed where they were found? 2) Could they have been kidnapped, killed, brought back to house? 3) Were the girls killed in the same time frame as NO? 4) Did any of the three have defensive wounds? 5) Has the home been released as a crime scene? Of course that brings me back to whether it is the only crime scene.

Exactly and I am sure CWs attorney is paying close attention as they should.

Even if they finally clear him some will still think he is guilty anyway simply because he happpened to be this woman's boyfriend.

Some already believe the ME is wrong even though the ME has the experience and has no skin in the game one way or the other.

It seems it's far easier to blame the male even though mothers murdering their own children and committing or unsuccessfully trying to commit suicide is not new by any means.

I have no reason to doubt the MEs findings. I do believe CW is innocent for I've seen no evidence supporting he is guilty of anything.

He has been publicly excoriated by this Sheriff and if it has caused CW to be harrassed or had death threats made against him I hope his attorney sues this Sheriff like others have done with Sheriff Israel in Florida. Even lawmen can be sued.

Jmo

I agree with everything you posted here. As to the bold bit by me, I think that this excoriation by the sheriff may have been inadvertent due to people spinning his words into what they want to believe vice what was actually said by the sheriff.

At no point has the sheriff said that Nichol wasn't a suicide - exactly the opposite. People are spinning what he actually stated about the MEs findings and his further comment about this requiring further in-depth investigation. He did state that it needed further investigation - precisely because there were TWO murders (not three) and that their murderer needed to be identified.

BCSO 'not ready to say' mom killed 2 kids then self at Anaqua Springs Ranch home

"It's not that I'm not totally convinced by (the evidence)," Salazar said. "We owe it to the public and to the victims in the case, and their families, of course, to continue this investigation. We can't just say, 'Well, this is what the medical examiner says, case closed.' We've still got two murder investigations, at least at this point, on these two young ladies. We have to find out who it is."

ME has ruled a murder/suicide. Sheriff says he agrees with that finding, just that it's the two murders he needs to confirm who the killer of them is. IE: Sherriff is not just assuming that the murderer of the two girls is Nichol, so needs to ensure a full, in-depth investigation.

Others are posting about cell phone records etc and that he would already have access to the phones so implying something is "up" with CWs story.

To that I say, IMO, not likely. Sheriff would have indeed have immediate access to both cell phone to have a look at the texts as the sheriff has publicly stated that CW has been fully cooperative with them. Thing is, the sheriff would have to subpoena the official cell records from the one (or both if not the same) cell service providers just to make sure no texts were deleted etc by either party. An immediate search of a recovered cell, or one that CW handed over to them, would not reveal whether any part of any conversation call history or text history had not been deleted. So it's taking a while - oh well, it's not like apple etc have ever been very efficient or open to voluntarily handing over those records; they are very big on making LE subpoena those kinds of things regardless of what, if any, crime may have possibly been committed.

CW is a POI as he is involved in this as a family member whether he likes it or not as he may have been the last one to communicate with Nichol and thus is a very important witness. He too is a victim at this point in time and not a thing more and the speculation, rumors, and stuff that I'm seeing put into this thread about him is quite disheartening to see happening to a only-a-victim at this stage.

I would imagine that CW's family always has a law firm, and they didn't suddenly get hired. Although, they did get involved.
CW is (understandably so) being represented by THE top criminal defense attorney in SA. I would personally find it incredibly unusual for his family to have this particular lawyer on retainer year round. They’re a wealthy oil family, not the mob.

Here is the newspaper account of the county the Wheeler family is from, which CNBC calls "the richest" county in the US. The Wheeler family ranched for 150 years but recently made millions from fracking. Yes, they are an old family. But this is not "old money," for what that's worth. Money is money. It's also one of the tiniest counties in Texas. Population: 804. We've discussed NO's background. It makes sense to discuss CW's. He is a POI until he's not.

The secrets of America's richest county

I may be wrong about this but I didn’t think CW hired any attorneys immediately after he reported the bodies, LE showing up, LE towing his car, etc. I actually thought it was quite a bit later, when “social media” took over. After hopping on just one random FB page today (1 of hundreds) and reading the comments; I don’t blame him one bit for hiring multiple attorneys. IMO

Exactly. He's a business owner. He has and has had a lawyer since long before this incident.

CW is (understandably so) being represented by THE top criminal defense attorney in SA. I would personally find it incredibly unusual for his family to have this particular lawyer on retainer year round. They’re a wealthy oil family, not the mob.

He has had a lawyer for years as a business owner. IMO it's more than likely that he and that lawyer reached out to a criminal one given the demeanour of the sheriff and the judgements being bantied about on SM (and similar inferences being made in this thread), in the public and by family friends of the suicide victim as well as at least one outright threat in that public domain, "he knows me tell him I'm coming" or whatever the exact words were.

I don't blame him a single, fracking iota for using that fracking money to protect himself. The sharks circling him without any basis is amazing.

ME has ruled a murder/suicide. Sheriff says he agrees with that finding, just that it's the two murders he needs to confirm who the killer of them is. IE: Sherriff is not just assuming that the murderer of the two girls is Nichol, so needs to ensure a full, in-depth investigation.

But the newspaper headline line in the link says the BCSO isn't ready to say it is a murder suicide. Am I missing something?

BCSO 'not ready to say' mom killed 2 kids then self at Anaqua Springs Ranch home.

The FBI can subpoena cell phone data/pings. My guess is that the sheriff could not persuade a judge to sign off on a search warrant because of lack of probable cause.

Social media seems to be turning this into a witch hunt for CW. Glad to see he has attorneys protecting his rights.

JMO

All the more reason for the FBI to get involved! Did we get some information that there was a problem getting phone records (ie there is some kind of delay, whether due to CW’s attorney, a lack of PC, etc)? Or are ppl just becoming impatient? This is what I get for not checking WS for an afternoon.

But the newspaper headline line in the link says the BCSO isn't ready to say it is a murder suicide. Am I missing something?

BCSO 'not ready to say' mom killed 2 kids then self at Anaqua Springs Ranch home.

It says, "BCSO not ready to say MOM killed two kids then self". And reporters don't write the headline.

IMO, when you read the text of the article, which I quoted and bolded, it says he believes the MEs ruling (murder/suicide) when he says "it's not that I am questioning the ME ruling, but we've got two murders" to look into as well. Two murders. Not three. He wants to make sure that they ensure they get it right when they name the murderer of the two girls.

And if the case was cut and dry, the FBI, IMHO, would not be needed. Some piece of the puzzle is still missing!

Or, they would be needed if the sheriff's public comments had lead to threats against CW and his public evisceration, possibly inadvertently, by the sheriff. If the two girls were murdered by Nichol prior to her suicide, a huge swath of populace now isn't going to believe that and will yell, "rich guy, it's a cover-up" … and vice-versa.

The sheriff should have learned there's a reason why "no comment" regarding an ongoing investigation is ALWAYS the best response, despite what the public may want him to divulge, when an investigation is … well … ongoing.

Good call on calling in the FBI because if he didn't, either way it is found this happened wouldn't be believed by a great many on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro