TX TX - Partial remains of adolescent male found on Jefferson County Beach believed to be victim of Dean Arnold Corll - UP9782 - August 9, 1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) UP9782

Date Body Found:
August 9, 1973
Location Found: Jefferson County, Texas
ME/C Case Number: PA29-30-31 (B)
Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: Uncertain
Estimated Age Group: Adolescent
Estimated Age Range (Years): 13-20
Estimated Year of Death: 1970-1973
Estimated PMI: 3 Years
Height/Weight/Hair & Eye Color: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery: Decedent is believed to be one of the victims of a serial murder case investigated by this office in 1973.

Inventory of Remains: Head not recovered, One or more limbs not recovered, One or both hands not recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

2 Missing Person Exclusions:
MP6542 Norman Prater TX
MP4960 A Campbell, Jr TX

Last edited:
I looked at your link. Is the link referring to the two extra bones that were found on High Island? I'm not sure if DNA was extracted from them.
I quoted you over on this thread as not to go too far off topic on Sammy’s thread. Yes these were just partial remains. I wish someone knew where they were and if DNA was or could be extracted. Something tells me they could belong to an already identified victim. I’m just surprised to not see any interest in identifying them. At least not publicly.

I quoted you over on this thread as not to go too far off topic on Sammy’s thread. Yes these were just partial remains. I wish someone knew where they were and if DNA was or could be extracted. Something tells me they could belong to an already identified victim. I’m just surprised to not see any interest in identifying them. At least not publicly.
Since they figured out the victim was male, I would imagine they had a DNA profile.

I think Mark Steven Scott is a possible match for this John Doe, I would like to know what you think.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think Mark Steven Scott is a possible match for this John Doe, I would like to know what you think.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think he could be a match too. I may email the NamUs coordinator tomorrow and see what (if anything) he can tell me. I know Michael has DNA and tested against one or more of the remains. It’s a matter of whether or not anyone can be tested against these remains. I’ll keep the thread updated!

Sorry, I'm not super familiar with Texas. Is this High Beach?
Basically. There were remains found along the shore spanning 2 or 3 counties if I remember correctly. Jefferson, Chambers and maybe Galveston. I’d have to look back at my notes. But collectively it’s been referred to as High Island Beach. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I think he could be a match too. I may email the NamUs coordinator and see what information he can or will give me.

Basically. There were remains found along the shore spanning 2 or 3 counties if I remember correctly. Jefferson, Chambers and maybe Galveston. I’d have to look back at my notes. But collectively it’s been referred to as High Island Beach. Hope that helps!
I would really appreciate it if you decide to send the email.

Hmmm the profile is not available? Was this just added?
Keep trying. Several of us have been having that problem with NamUs. It shows unavailable the first time but appears after a couple of attempts. ;) This has actually been in NamUs since 2012

I think he could be a match too. I may email the NamUs coordinator and see what information he can or will give me.

Thanks. I am now leaning towards this being Mark Scott. Hopefully we will get answers about that soon.
Hmmm the profile is not available? Was this just added?
NamUs has been acting up lately. Try refreshing or using another device; it sometimes helps. I'm not sure if they're doing maintenance or if it's buggy lately or what.

Currently, this set of remains has two exclusions, once of whom was from AJ Campbell Jr., who disappeared in 1958. I can only assume they would have a DNA profile for this set of remains found then?
I mentioned that to the NamUs rep too. Hopefully he’ll be able to share more.

So, you are referring to the extra bones that were found with bodies 26 & 27? I had conversed with Sharon Derrick via email on those extra bones some years ago. I will have to go back and see what her response was. I wish I had a contact for the person who replaced Sharon. And yes, I agree it is annoying when they refer to Swimsuit Boy as the "last unidentified victim." Based on Wayne's & David's statements and from those I've met who have missing friends and siblings, I suspect that there is at least 2 - 4 more possible victims whose bodies were never located.

So, you are referring to the extra bones that were found with bodies 26 & 27? I had conversed with Sharon Derrick via email on those extra bones some years ago. I will have to go back and see what her response was. I wish I had a contact for the person who replaced Sharon. And yes, I agree it is annoying when they refer to Swimsuit Boy as the "last unidentified victim." Based on Wayne's & David's statements and from those I've met who have missing friends and siblings, I suspect that there is at least 2 - 4 more possible victims whose bodies were never located.
I’d appreciate you sharing additional information! Thanks for responding.

Yes, I feel 2 - 4 is a more fair estimate. These boys have been wronged for so long I feel.

I’d appreciate you sharing additional information! Thanks for responding.

Yes, I feel 2 - 4 is a more fair estimate. These boys have been wronged for so long I feel.
I went back and found the email. I emailed her on 11/23/11 (farther back then I thought). Her reply re the additional bones was: "Thank you for your interest in these cases. There were no extra remains recovered with #26. The extra remains recovered with #27 are in process for DNA extraction and comparison. I would urge anyone who believes a missing family member to be one of the victims in this case to submit a DNA sample for upload to the CODIS system."

That was 11 years ago so I wonder if they ever got a DNA profile. Having extra bones has always confounded me. Was there another body buried underneath or alongside # 27 that LE missed? Or did the bones from a recovered victim get mixed in with # 27 by accident? If that was the case, then one or more of the other victims should have been missing those bones.

I went back and found the email. I emailed her on 11/23/11 (farther back then I thought). Her reply re the additional bones was: "Thank you for your interest in these cases. There were no extra remains recovered with #26. The extra remains recovered with #27 are in process for DNA extraction and comparison. I would urge anyone who believes a missing family member to be one of the victims in this case to submit a DNA sample for upload to the CODIS system."

That was 11 years ago so I wonder if they ever got a DNA profile. Having extra bones has always confounded me. Was there another body buried underneath or alongside # 27 that LE missed? Or did the bones from a recovered victim get mixed in with # 27 by accident? If that was the case, then one or more of the other victims should have been missing those bones.
Thanks for sharing! Over 10 years ago so one would think if DNA could be extracted it has been. I wonder if that would be ran against the previously identified victims. Maybe. If their DNA is kept in the system? Goodness what a mess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyacintha
Back