Identified! TX - Pecos, WhtFem, 17-20, UP13480, in motel swimming pool Jul'66 - Jolaine Hemmy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also she was wearing a bathing suit when she drowned. If she wanted to kill herself, why bother changing into swim gear?
Same question actually applies if she was intoxicated.

I also have my doubts the man killed her, would have been loads easier to do that somewhere on the road. Also I believe they must have had some more stopovers, at least overnight, before they reached Texas. But because the theory was going around she was a Mexican maid and because in 1966, there was very little cross state interaction in LE, that was never looked into.

Also she was wearing a bathing suit when she drowned. If she wanted to kill herself, why bother changing into swim gear?
Same question actually applies if she was intoxicated.

I also have my doubts the man killed her, would have been loads easier to do that somewhere on the road. Also I believe they must have had some more stopovers, at least overnight, before they reached Texas. But because the theory was going around she was a Mexican maid and because in 1966, there was very little cross state interaction in LE, that was never looked into.

oh she had a bathing suit on? I thought I read she was wearing a floral print blouse and black shorts? I maybe mistake though.
Yes it’s unfortunate that they did not have much cross state interaction at that point. Iam sure they would of found a trail of where they had been.

"Her mom did get a letter in the first part of July, saying she was in Las Vegas," Divilbiss said.

According to Divilbiss, the family didn't think the letter was written by Hemmy, as it didn't look like her handwriting.

"Her mom tore that letter up," Divilbiss said.

One of her sisters received a postcard from Hemmy dated July 3, 1966, saying she'd see her in a week, but it also didn't look like her handwriting.

Salina teenager identified as 1966 Texas Jane Doe

I wonder if it was the guy that was writing these postcard/ letters. Too bad it does not mention anything on what state the letters/postcards were stamped from. That could of given another clue.

the article mentions that she had moved to Kansas. I wonder how long she had been there. And the diner . I wonder how much it was frequented by outsiders. If anyone remembered a customer that stopped showing up when she vanished. Oh it’s so long ago. I wonder even if the diner even exists.

oh she had a bathing suit on? I thought I read she was wearing a floral print blouse and black shorts? I maybe mistake though.
Yes it’s unfortunate that they did not have much cross state interaction at that point. Iam sure they would of found a trail of where they had been.

I thought so too.

If she was wearing a swimsuit, then that swings me back to probable accident and as Marzipanda pointed out, the guy just panicking and getting out of there.

And yes, if it was that hot and I had been traveling, I would have put on a swimsuit and gone to soak in shallow end/sides of the pool.

Ok I came across this guy and he caught my eye.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Missing Person / NamUs #MP13082Charles Daniel Samples, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 1, 1965
Missing FromTiptonville, Tennessee

37 Years
Current Age92 Years
First Name Charles
Middle NameDaniel
Last NameSamples
Nickname/AliasRusty

SexMale
Height5' 8" - 5' 10" (68 - 70 Inches)
Weight140 - 160 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances of DisappearanceHe was a transient, and road the railroad around the country. He would work awhile and then get back on a train. He always visited areas with family and always visited and stayed with them. The last anyone heard of him was a cousin that received a letter from him in Tiptonville TN, 1965. She wrote him back in the summer of 1965 and her letter was returned to her. His parents, brothers and sisters are all deceased

Ok a couple of things stuck out to me here. That his Alias was Rusty could that be short for Russell? Also he would work places for a while and hop on a train and leave town. ( maybe one of these places is where he met the real Russell?) I have a snap shot below The Roper Motel is not very far from Train Tracks. Also his profile looks like a military photo.

I am putting this out there since there really was no mention of a car. Maybe they did not even have a car? And that is why they just say late model sedan Kind of like the screams that was confirmed and not confirmed. I also know it says his age was 37 but he could of looked younger. Now I wish I knew where the diner she worked at was and if it was close to train tracks.

anyway just thought I would post it.

Attachments

• 875F93D5-5EA4-440C-AE3A-2F792A487CDB.png
    875F93D5-5EA4-440C-AE3A-2F792A487CDB.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 1
I honestly don’t think foul play was involved here. I understand her family doesn’t know of anyone she would have run off with, but that doesn’t mean there was no one she could have run off with. A lot of my family came from Pecos and I recently traveled there. I remember thinking of only this case, before Jolaine was identified. This motel was not some place you’d know of unless you were familiar with the area or just passing through. It’s certainly not a place you’d want to take someone if you intended on murdering them. It’s really small. I remember thinking that if she were in that pool, everyone staying there could see her from their room.

I have never read about her family receiving letters. That is interesting. I’m not sure what to make of that.

Yes she checked in in a floral blouse and black shorts but was found wearing a red bathing suit in the pool

That is not a bad suggestion but I doubt a guy who lived as transient and illegally rode freight trains hobo style for many years would be able to pull off such an unsuspecting, clean cut impression. I mean, living on the streets for years does take a toll on someone, even if we are not talking about possible alcoholism etc.

The man Jolaine was with apparently was such an unsuspecting guy that nobody really remembered anything unusual about him. Nobody even believed they were not husband and wife. They were a neat young couple.

And while I am no expert about the Amtrak network, it is a major headache to travel across states just by train. Even in the 60s which had slightly more comfortable public transport than today. I am almost certain they had a car.

Ok I came across this guy and he caught my eye.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Missing Person / NamUs #MP13082Charles Daniel Samples, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 1, 1965
Missing FromTiptonville, Tennessee

37 Years
Current Age92 Years
First Name Charles
Middle NameDaniel
Last NameSamples
Nickname/AliasRusty

SexMale
Height5' 8" - 5' 10" (68 - 70 Inches)
Weight140 - 160 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances of DisappearanceHe was a transient, and road the railroad around the country. He would work awhile and then get back on a train. He always visited areas with family and always visited and stayed with them. The last anyone heard of him was a cousin that received a letter from him in Tiptonville TN, 1965. She wrote him back in the summer of 1965 and her letter was returned to her. His parents, brothers and sisters are all deceased

Ok a couple of things stuck out to me here. That his Alias was Rusty could that be short for Russell? Also he would work places for a while and hop on a train and leave town. ( maybe one of these places is where he met the real Russell?) I have a snap shot below The Roper Motel is not very far from Train Tracks. Also his profile looks like a military photo.

I am putting this out there since there really was no mention of a car. Maybe they did not even have a car? And that is why they just say late model sedan Kind of like the screams that was confirmed and not confirmed. I also know it says his age was 37 but he could of looked younger. Now I wish I knew where the diner she worked at was and if it was close to train tracks.

anyway just thought I would post it.

Id also say that the guy sent those cards to cover his tracks. He likely felt guilty and the first weeks and months after Jolaine died, he was not sure whether he left evidence somewhere or whether he was seen or identified somewhere.
So he tried to create false leads in case LE would find him. He could easily have said then, yes, we traveled a while, but Jolaine decided to go to Las Vegas alone and I have nothing to do with her disappearance and death. I am not even sure whether he actually knew she was dead as she was only declared dead in the hospital. He surely knew she was in a serious condition and got really cold feet and left the scene.

"Her mom did get a letter in the first part of July, saying she was in Las Vegas," Divilbiss said.

According to Divilbiss, the family didn't think the letter was written by Hemmy, as it didn't look like her handwriting.

One of her sisters received a postcard from Hemmy dated July 3, 1966, saying she'd see her in a week, but it also didn't look like her handwriting.

I wonder if it was the guy that was writing these postcard/ letters. Too bad it does not mention anything on what state the letters/postcards were stamped from. That could of given another clue.

the article mentions that she had moved to Kansas. I wonder how long she had been there. And the diner . I wonder how much it was frequented by outsiders. If anyone remembered a customer that stopped showing up when she vanished. Oh it’s so long ago. I wonder even if the diner even exists.

That is not a bad suggestion but I doubt a guy who lived as transient and illegally rode freight trains hobo style for many years would be able to pull off such an unsuspecting, clean cut impression. I mean, living on the streets for years does take a toll on someone, even if we are not talking about possible alcoholism etc.

The man Jolaine was with apparently was such an unsuspecting guy that nobody really remembered anything unusual about him. Nobody even believed they were not husband and wife. They were a neat young couple.

And while I am no expert about the Amtrak network, it is a major headache to travel across states just by train. Even in the 60s which had slightly more comfortable public transport than today. I am almost certain they had a car.

I was never under the impression he was a hobo and road train illegally. Maybe iam wrong. It states yes he was a transient but says he worked and went from place to place. He wrote to a cousin from some place.

Snip it from The profile.

Either way it’s prob not the guy but I thought his Alias Rusty was interesting.

Id also say that the guy sent those cards to cover his tracks. He likely felt guilty and the first weeks and months after Jolaine died, he was not sure whether he left evidence somewhere or whether he was seen or identified somewhere.
So he tried to create false leads in case LE would find him. He could easily have said then, yes, we traveled a while, but Jolaine decided to go to Las Vegas alone and I have nothing to do with her disappearance and death. I am not even sure whether he actually knew she was dead as she was only declared dead in the hospital. He surely knew she was in a serious condition and got really cold feet and left the scene.
Yeah makes me wonder the same thing. Would love to know where they were stamped from.

"Rode the railroad" usually means riding illicitly. If he bought a ticket and got a seat, they'd be more likely to say "took the train."

Omg too funny.. ok I need to brush up on my Train/Railroad Lingo.. Iam a Fresh Air Fund City Kid!
The most I know about that would be “Taking The Subway” hahahaha:D

You know.. MarziPanda...I think you have a good point there. Why would he just try and drown her in the pool in public...when he had all the chances to do so elsewhere.

He prob was just hanging in the room and had no idea and panicked and ran out of there because he prob knew he was with a girl that just left home ran away, was prob being looked for and was younger.

Makes me wonder was she on some type of drug or something or drinking. I wonder if they ever tested that. Something that made her not think clearly. Because again. I don’t swim I would Not be going into a pool Alone past my waist.. ever ever.

Also was it ever checked out or mentioned if there was anyone else with her by the pool??. Like maybe someone that worked at the motel that tried to do something to her or get funny with her in the pool ( but the Motel never said anything to cover up for the worker and the reputation of the motel) that is just a thought I had right now .

Oh and last thought. What if she just went out to the pool and drowned herself to kill herself.. because leaving home with this guy was not what she planned and she felt she could not go back?? (And that is why the guy was not with her sleeping)

The screams mentioned are also unclear.. could it have been the granddaughter when she realized the girl was dead in the pool that started screaming? And it was confused with girl screaming??

So many scenarios and so many Questions.. and still.. who is the guy??

It's possible that he was holding her against her will in the motel room. Maybe he was exhausted and fell asleep after driving all that time and she escaped, he chased her to the pool, she slipped and fell into the water or he pushed/hit her (she had a bruise on her temple?), she screamed and he ran back into the room.

We have to wonder, too, did she wait in the car while he registered or did she come in with him to the front desk? If she came in with him, then it's fairly possible that she left her town on her own free will.

Her daughter disappears and she tears up evidence? Did she have suspicions her daughter may have eloped and was angry? I wonder where it was postmarked from.

That is possible but would have been a public scene that would have stirred up a lot of other guests and staff.

The bruise, though, maybe Jolaine went into the low water to just hang out and cool down but then slipped somewhere, hit her head, became unconscious and drowned.

From my understanding, both checked in together as a married couple. Her outfit was noted by the hotel owner. I also think she initially went voluntarily with him.

It's possible that he was holding her against her will in the motel room. Maybe he was exhausted and fell asleep after driving all that time and she escaped, he chased her to the pool, she slipped and fell into the water or he pushed/hit her (she had a bruise on her temple?), she screamed and he ran back into the room.

We have to wonder, too, did she wait in the car while he registered or did she come in with him to the front desk? If she came in with him, then it's fairly possible that she left her town on her own free will.

I still think she was groomed by this man and went voluntarily with him. She was a shy girl from a farm and now living and working in simple jobs in Kansas. Maybe he pretended to be a photographer, movie or show producer and take her to Las Vegas and make her famous. Of course since her family would not like it, she would have to be quiet to them about it all.. Or maybe he confessed his "love" and said he would marry her and give her a beautiful life.

He may have done the same to other young women in the past (not necessarily killing them but leaving them after a while after using them). Jolaine was vulnerable. Shy, quiet, very young and probably a little bit unhappy in her diner job. And she knew she was good looking. Ideal candidate for a predator.

Everything went according to plan until she had the accident. Apparently he did not even know she was dead as he continued to send postcards in her name the following weeks. He did not want to take responsibility and also he lied about their relationship, lied about their name and was with a girl below the age of consent.

I think there is a good chance he was at least recognisable in or around the diner where Jolaine worked and I think that's why he ran. He k e she was underage and he could be in a lot of trouble and now she was dead with no witnesses, even though it seems it was most likely an accidental death he probably thought it wasn't a risk worth taking. I think this is why he left her there with no name, he was protecting himself because if she was identified and his description was circulated in her home town it would have led to him. To me, he was either a local or someone who passed through regularly on business.

I still think she was groomed by this man and went voluntarily with him. She was a shy girl from a farm and now living and working in simple jobs in Kansas. Maybe he pretended to be a photographer, movie or show producer and take her to Las Vegas and make her famous. Of course since her family would not like it, she would have to be quiet to them about it all.. Or maybe he confessed his "love" and said he would marry her and give her a beautiful life.

He may have done the same to other young women in the past (not necessarily killing them but leaving them after a while after using them). Jolaine was vulnerable. Shy, quiet, very young and probably a little bit unhappy in her diner job. And she knew she was good looking. Ideal candidate for a predator.

Everything went according to plan until she had the accident. Apparently he did not even know she was dead as he continued to send postcards in her name the following weeks. He did not want to take responsibility and also he lied about their relationship, lied about their name and was with a girl below the age of consent.

It is possible they eloped or she was groomed and she went voluntarily. They were headed for Mexico, after all, and were about 120 miles from the border. Human trafficking may have been another remote scenario. We also don't know whether there was another man in the car who could have remained hidden until the other two were checked in and he then slipped into the room.

"Mexico raised its age for sexual consent from 12 to 15 in 2012, according to a review of historical changes to the penal code available online from the Mexican government."

She was also wearing a bright red bathing suit. Did the family confirm that belonged to her? If so, I doubt she would have been abducted with it.

Agree. Also she would not have been easily traceable by anyone if they made it to Mexico. It is to this day not easy, let alone in the 60s. Another possible route would be that they were headed to the southwest coast of the US, Las Vegas or something. He sent fake cards from Las Vegas, actually, that may be a hint they may have planned to travel there (maybe to elope and get married?).

Human trafficking, i am not so sure of that possibility, because normally people are trafficked from economically poorer areas to wealthier ones. Not exactly from Kansas to Mexico. I still believe it was very personal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog
Back