Identified! TX - Pecos, WhtFem, 17-20, UP13480, in motel swimming pool Jul'66 - Jolaine Hemmy

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We are looking at this case. It is premature to make any judgements yet as we have not adequately examined what evidence remains and what condition it is in, but we are hoping (if possible) to help here. More details to follow shortly.

That is absolutely fantastic to hear. Good luck! I would so much like her to get her name back (among a lot of others :))

Thanks, reading it I was sure I've read it before....seems I posted it myself upthread hahaha.

Here you can find all kind of paper articles about the case. From the newspapers

They circulated a picture to find out who she was so there must be a picture of her somewhere on file. Did anybody manage to dig that up?

Sorry! We should have checked the thread before posting the article. We have a picture that NCMEC prepared for the Jane Doe. Details here: Who is Pecos Jane Doe?.

Sorry! We should have checked the thread before posting the article. We have a picture that NCMEC prepared for the Jane Doe. Details here: Who is Pecos Jane Doe?.

No need to say sorry. Reading up on everything can take lots of time. The recon is wonderful, but they must have had a PM picture. Did you or can you get a hold on it? I sometimes feel that a PM picture can show different things..it's hard to explain.

I wonder if there was any attempt to locate the missing "husband" over the years.

Find him and he can/could tell you who she was.

Some pictures of the motel (which still exists) and pool. The pool was pretty good-sized, so I think it would be possible to drown if you weren't a swimmer.

Attachments

• 5CFA6044-D3F3-483A-9DF1-FD87F26DE27A.png
    5CFA6044-D3F3-483A-9DF1-FD87F26DE27A.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 80
I wonder if there was any attempt to locate the missing "husband" over the years.

Find him and he can/could tell you who she was.

From the newspaper clippings and other story's. Different accounts.
The couple registered as Mrs. and Mr. Russell Battoun. When the girl was taken to the hospital the young man made up a story about needing the registration card as it could help with ID'ing in the hospital. "Let me have our registration slip" "We are not known around here and it and it will help us identify in the hospital". An other account is that the man "just"persuaded the desk clerk to give him the registration card and left. The name “Russell Battoun” was later found to match that of an active U.S. Marine who was stationed in North Carolina before serving in Vietnam but no link could be established between him and the unknown couple.

Yes, but if they tried to find him, there should have been some descriptions and his sketch issued. He was a "missing person" too.

There was a description of the guy; slender, reddish blond hair cut on top, long at the sides. weighing about 135 -140 pounds and about 5'7 in height.

Just something scintillating about a teenage girl's unsolved death in a motel pool in west Texas, where July highs frequently break a hundred degrees, in that summer of 1966, Vietnam ablaze, the Summer of Love yet to arrive, and, on the radio, such misogynistic anthems of paranoia and despair as Paint It Black, Dirty Water, and the Syndicate of Sound's Little Girl.
Very possible.
Unfortunately I don't think this case will be solved, at least not in the near future

That's such a random surname to have just plucked out of thin air. I can't believe that isn't his name or somebody very close to him.

Disagree - Othram has almost raised funding to start genetic genealogy on this case. They have a pretty good track record so far.
I think she's in safe hands if they can help crack the case of a man murdered in 1916 they certainly know what they are doing.

Disagree - Othram has almost raised funding to start genetic genealogy on this case. They have a pretty good track record so far.

The case is fully funded as of this evening. We definitely can't solve every case but we will do our best! In our experience there are two big risks: (1) there is not useable DNA to build a profile or (2) there are few or no good matches. We are experts at de-risking against #1, but we are blind to #2 obviously until we upload a profile...

The case is fully funded as of this evening. We definitely can't solve every case but we will do our best! In our experience there are two big risks: (1) there is not useable DNA to build a profile or (2) there are few or no good matches. We are experts at de-risking against #1, but we are blind to #2 obviously until we upload a profile...
How do you go about finding usable DNA in a case as old as this?

How do you go about finding usable DNA in a case as old as this?

Most commonly there are skeletal remains to work with. The DNA is usually degraded and overrun with bacteria and other non-human stuff, but as long as there is human DNA (even a little) we can generally (but not always) use it to build a profile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back