TX - Police officer James Brennand, 25, charged after shooting Erik Cantu, 17, an unarmed teen holding a cheeseburger - 10/8/22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

A San Antonio rookie police officer fired after shooting an unarmed 17-year-old boy who was eating a burger in a McDonald’s parking lot is also a former soldier and received a commendation for his firearm skills while at the police academy.

The officer shot and wounded Cantu on Oct. 2 after responding to an unrelated disturbance at the fast-food restaurant. He spotted the boy in his car eating. Brennand mistakenly believed the boy had evaded him the night before, according to the Daily Mail. The license plates allegedly did not match the car.

He ordered the teen to get out of the car. Cantu put the car in reverse and proceeded to attempt to drive off, allegedly hitting the rookie with the car door. The officer fired several shots into the vehicle, wounding the boy. Reports indicate that the rookie fired five shots into the car and five more shots as it sped away.

Brennand had requested backup that had not arrived yet. He also administered CPR while waiting for paramedics to arrive.

There was also an unarmed female passenger in the car. She was not injured in the shooting. Cantu is listed in critical but stable condition. He is at University Hospital following the shooting.

He has been charged

What happened before he shot Erik. (As I see it)

• Officer suspects stolen vehicle and calls for back up. (I think this was the only normal and routine part)

• But then, going up to the parked vehicle and opening the door and saying, "Get out of the car", just seems really bizarre and over the top.

• I would freak out myself. I wonder if Erik even knew that the man opening the door was a cop? (Maybe he did eventually, but on an emotional level, someone opening your car door while you are sitting in a parking lot just evokes feelings that this person was a parking lot creep gone bad)

• Shouldn't the officer have flashed his lights before approaching the vehicle? (So that Erik would know that an officer would likely approach his vehicle)

• Shouldn't the officer have knocked on the window and asked to see his license?

Shouldn't the officer have identified himself as an officer before attempting contact with Erik?

I don't know what the routine for this type of suspected incident should be, but it seems like just going up to a parked vehicle, opening the door and yelling "Get out of the car" is not the correct way to do this.

Don't get me started on the shooting part...

Even the Chief of Police knew when he saw the bullet trajectory that it was all wrong.

Last edited:
Gosh… I’m glad he was fired and charged and cannot see why he did this or will get away with it. He can’t say he was in fear of his life. Cantu was sitting in a parked car eating!

Erik Cantu's car was not stolen.

This poor boy and his family. Erik did nothing wrong. If the officer really thought he was the exact same person from the previous night, the officer's job was to first ensure everyone's safety while finding out for sure.

Anyone's normal reaction to having their car door thrown open and being yelled at would be to try to drive away.

There are so many other ways the officer could have handled his suspicion. He chose the worst option. I think his charges should be upgraded.

The start of the criminal trial for James Brennand, the former SAPD officer who shot 17-year-old Erik Cantu Jr. in October, has been set for June 6, according to Bexar County court records.

In December, District Attorney Joe Gonzales announced that a grand jury indicted Brennand.

Brennand faces one count of attempted murder, a second-degree felony, and two counts of first-degree felony aggravated assault by a public servant. He faces between 4 to 20 years for attempted murder and 5 to 99 years for each of the aggravated assault charges.

James Brennand is scheduled to stand trial on Nov. 12 on a charge of deadly conduct with a firearm in connection with the shooting of Erik Cantu.

[...]

The prosecution is requesting Brennand’s psychological evaluation, but the City of San Antonio is arguing that it’s off-limits because it’s part of the former officer’s personnel file.

Perez is expected to rule on that issue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back