Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they ask the other child what she has seen, or is that not allowed since she is a small child.

I think so if they ask permission of the one/s who have temporary custody. If the child has been placed with other family members they may not agree for her to be interviewed though.

I do know they were able to interview Christa Worthington's 2 year old daughter, when her mother was murdered, and the little girl was there at the time. She wasn't much help in solving the case.

But in another case where a mother (Jessie Davis) was missing at the time and later found murdered, her 2 year old son, Blake, told LE 'Daddy put Mommy in the rug' and that was an important piece of evidence in the case.

She certainly could tell them things that may be important. Not necessarily the night Sherin went missing because she could have slept through it all but she could tell them other things about Sherin, her Mom, and Daddy. Like has Mom or Daddy ever hit Sherin before? etc.

He could but I have a feeling this was an unplanned killing and he probably didn't think things through clearly/was in a panic. Based on his whole tree story, it doesn't seem well thought out and is more of a panic response

That aligns with my own personal theory. Seems that the official references to the feeding issues indicate that she got up (as opposed to being awoken on a schedule) during the night regularly. I can see a sleepy and possibly controlling dad fixing the whatever and then growing frustrated when she decided not to partake. Maybe he slapped her in anger and she started screaming and he covered her mouth to muffle the screams and she stopped breathing. Or maybe he tried to force her to drink and she choked and asphyxiated. Maybe he actually tried to lure coyotes by putting her in the alley, but then realized he was going to have to find another way to hide the evidence.

His details are so bizarre that I am guessing that the tie back to something he actually did, rather than being invented completely. If he wanted a safe story, waking up to see that she had wandered off would have been a better cover.

Yes they would have to ask her through a child psychologist. Usually they use play in these types of cases. The child does speak pretty good from what I've heard, so she would be verbal to articulate, if she saw something.

They actually have trained police officers who do these types of interviews. In the Jessie Davis case it was a female police officer who interviewed 2 year old Blake. They are trained just for this kind of thing involving children who may have seen or know something that would be helpful to their investigation. Since this is in Dallas I would think they have these type of police officers on duty. Like Lt. Joe Kenda in CO and he has a degree psychology. He has interviewed many small children over the years when their parent/s or another family member had been murdered.

Makes sense. I feel for the older child too. I think she will forever be changed.

The time of between 4am-5am is very specific. It sound like to me, some one in the Mathews street may have CCTV on the front of their house, probably looking towards a driveway. If this is the case Mathews maroon car might have been spotted driving past at 4am and and coming back at 5am. If that is the case it minimizes the distance in which sherin could have be dumped at. So 30 minutes away would be just to place her somewhere but even less than that if he has had to dig to bury her. What areas look suitable 20-30 minutes from the home.

My mind goes to dumping in a body of water. No digging required.

If dad left out the information about the vehicle leaving for an hour I wonder if he could be arrested again and charged with obstruction.

If dad left out the information about the vehicle leaving for an hour I wonder if he could be arrested again and charged with obstruction.

Not sure, what if he was not the one driving?

That's probably why the neighborhood videos are important - to see who was in that car.

I hope someone in the neighborhood has something to share!

jmo

I totally understand, but I can see how a "rehoming" clearinghouses are formed.

I mentioned upthread that someone I know adopted a child from overseas who turned out to be VERY disturbed emotionally - in all likelihood from severe neglect while an infant and toddler in an orphanage. The American family who adopted him were actually afraid for their safely and for the safety of their bio children. I cannot overstate enough that situation was horrific and the family, as loving and strong as they are, could not handle it.

But, once he was adopted, he was their legal child. You can't give a child back, even if he was literally tearing the family apart physically and emotionally. You can't go back to the courts and "undo" the adoption. Churches, community groups, hospitals. social services offered no help for the family I know - there is no system to handle adoptions that don't work out....and there is no system that fully informs families of this in advance. It's a shock that each family has to endure and negotiate on their own.

The people I know eventually were able to "rehome" him, legally and through proper channels, to a couple who knew what they were committing to and had the time and experience to handle an extremely violent child. But what if they didn't find that couple who would take their adopted child? What could they do??

Adopting a child is such a generous thing to do - and families lovingly and eagerly go into it ready to accept whoever they get, sick or healthy....but some children from overseas might require care that a regular family simply cannot provide, especially if they are completely unaware of what harm to their development neglected children may have suffered.

Again, these cases are not just a spirited child or a depressed child or malnurished child....but severely emotionally damaged to the point of being dangerous for people untrained to handle it.

I know I'm going off on a tangent as there is no evidence (that we know of) that little Sherin suffered these severe problems, but I do want to jump in and present another side to the "rehoming" scenario. These are not just people who decided on a whim to get rid of a child they don't like....they are desperate and there is really no support net for them other than to figure it out on their own.

It's a problem that needs to be fixed.

jmo

You are spot on. Not only do kids adopted internationally sometimes come with spotty information owing to the systems in their own countries, but supports that are sometimes available to families who adopt domestically are denied to families who adopt internationally. Even abandonment (into protective services or through the court) can frequently require the family to commit to ongoing financial support for the child. Clearly some families enter into international adoption unprepared or with unreasonable expectations, but there are some situations that go far beyond what a family can reasonably anticipate. A disrupted adoption is incredibly painful for all involved, but sometimes the only sane option. And few people truly understand. There's a lot of misplaced blame.

I think so if they ask permission of the one/s who have temporary custody. If the child has been placed with other family members they may not agree for her to be interviewed though.

I do know they were able to interview Christa Worthington's 2 year old daughter, when her mother was murdered, and the little girl was there at the time. She wasn't much help in solving the case.

But in another case where a mother (Jessie Davis) was missing at the time and later found murdered, her 2 year old son, Blake, told LE 'Daddy put Mommy in the rug' and that was an important piece of evidence in the case.

She certainly could tell them things that may be important. Not necessarily the night Sherin went missing because she could have slept through it all but she could tell them other things about Sherin, her Mom, and Daddy. Like has Mom or Daddy ever hit Sherin before? etc.

I believe that technically, regardless of where the child was placed, CPS has custody and would be required to give permission.

Still catching up, but I hope "dad" doesn't have a moment of peace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Still catching up, but I hope "dad" doesn't have a moment of peace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As well as anyone else involved in this child's disappearance!

We can hope that they are going to crack.

This new information about the car could have come from Dad. He could have had an "I forgot" moment and told them he was looking for her between those hours.

Even if he wasn't driving, from what we know, he was awake from 3:00 on so how would someone else take one of the family vehicles without him knowing?

This new information about the car could have come from Dad. He could have had an "I forgot" moment and told them he was looking for her between those hours.

Lol, yeah I bet he did have an "I forgot" moment. He forgot to tell the truth is more like it.

BBM.

I'm not familiar with this case but how heartbreaking :(

Well, even if he didn't drive it, then Mom drove it. And unless they found out this information from one of them in the early stages (which I'm sure LE would have mentioned straight away if they had) then it's obstruction even if Dad isn't the one lying.

If he stopped looking for her at 5am, why wasn't she reported missing until 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephenWiltshire