Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Qmfr:

Who the heck in their right mind is going to allow this? Custody for the mom, maybe...the dad? No way. And he's in jail anyway...I don't get it...?

I don't understand either. I can't believe the courts are even considering this.
The more that comes out about this case the more angry I get.

I don't understand either. I can't believe the courts are even considering this.

Maybe you have to keep showing up at these hearings to show you're committed to getting the child back....and eventually you will? In other words, does it count against you later if you fail to show up or fail to pursue custody???

I don't know.

jmopinion

As far as I understand, her parents have a legal right to attend the hearing and ask that the child be returned to them but it doesn't mean that it will happen. IMO the judge will take the opinion of CPS seriously, along with the current status of Sherin's case and whatever argument Sini's lawyer will make in her favor. It's pretty obvious that WM has zip weight in all of this but I believe it's his right to attend. He may not attend anyway.

My question is whether or not Sini's decision (through her lawyer) to end conversation with LE after helping identify Sherin's body will have any impact on the court. IOW would CPS and/or the judge see it as refusal to cooperate with LE or as Sini having told LE everything she knew? Or is it irrelevant to the custody case?

To be clear I'm not challenging Sini's decisions regarding how much contact she has with LE or her right to have legal representation or her right to stay silent. I'm just wondering if any of that will impact the court's decision.

Just jumping off your post...I’m sorry you had that frightening experience with your child. You didn’t leave her and run for help, you helped her. And I believe if Sharin’s dad wanted to save her, if it happened like he said, he would have PICKED 20lb. SHARIN UP AND CARRIED HER TO THE NURSE WHO WAS IN THE HOUSE! If you run into a bedroom where the nurse mother is sleeping, with a DYING/CHOKING child, and wanted help, no one would remain sleeping. He says he didn’t do that. Why? Simple...it didn’t happen like he said and he is/was hiding what he really did to Sharin. He took her to the garage to prevent his wife and daughter from hearing or seeing what he was doing to Sharin and I don’t believe it was forcing her to drink milk. I believe he was assaulting her, whatever that entailed, and putting walls between her and her nurse mother’s ears.

I agree and I actually sort of hope that this is more likely the case. Not because Sherin would have suffered likely more than on a single occasion, but because if it happened so "innocently" like the story suggests, its just absolutely deplorable to think someone with good intent could then wait for the person to die, take their pulse scoop them up and remove them from the house. Like, if he was out there with the intention of hurting her in some way and she died IMO that is easier to comprehend than an accidental death... I really feel badly for Sini because she is likely very much in the dark about cause of death and such too, and certainly she is playing out all of the worst case scenarios and wondering how she didn't realize her husband was a monster. I know for many that's hard to believe, but people don't expect the person they love to be a monster, especially if he treats them well... :(

JMO

I'm a bit behind on reading Sherin's threads but it just occurred to me that if the mother told LE "everything she knows", why on earth would she shut the door on speaking to LE again?

IMO a guilt-ridden nurse mother who was really asleep would be going over and over in her mind what possible details/red flags she may have missed. And that's why LE would want her to remain open to speaking to them again, in case she had some new information.

The only reason I can come up with, is that by speaking to LE again she risks contradicting her alibi.

Rest in Peace, Sherin. Justice is coming.
:rose:

ETA Like I said, I'm behind reading these threads so if LE has officially stated there are no other suspects and the mother has been officially ruled out, I will alert my post and have the mods delete it. Like many here, I think there's way more to this story.

ETA #2 Is it possible the mother might have been drugged unknowingly before bed that night?

Qmfr:

Who the heck in their right mind is going to allow this? Custody for the mom, maybe...the dad? No way. And he's in jail anyway...I don't get it...?

Jails and prisons in my area have like a TV court where inmates can meet court appearances for things like this from the jail. He is listed because he is her parent and those rights aren't terminated by incarceration. So, the docket will likely say both their names. I doubt he will attend physically, that's not something a jail is concerned about as far as transportation etc goes. He will likely have his lawyer attend on his behalf, and if the court tv system is available there then he may be in "attendance" that way, where the judge can speak directly to him and he to the judge in real time. It's a good system. I have known a lot of people who have put in their plea this way on criminal cases or done it this way for a basic remand. Very efficient.

Sini has sep lawyers, so they will be a second party to WM. CPS will likely be taking things into account like if she has talked to WM on the phone, if she has gone to visit him, etc. Basically, if she hasn't cut ties to him that is going to be a strike against her as she is staying in contact with the man responsible for her child's death. If she hasn't taken his calls or had any contact with him, that will go in her favor. If she has sought counselling of any sort that will also look good, as will her being on time for every single visit etc.

I would say there is a fairly good chance Sini will get her daughter back as to my knowledge she is living with her parents now and hasn't been back to the house since the Lexus video that showed her dad. That shows she has support of family and presumably a safe place to live. Unless LE says that an arrest for her is imminent and shows some evidence they really don't have reason to keep this child away from her mom... I am sure CPS has been highly involved and done some home visits etc outside of the scheduled visits to check on placement with Sini or any other family members.
JMO and how things work in my area.

There is a process in place to protect children. That includes not permanently removing them from their family of origin without due diligence. The timeline of court hearings is somewhat defined by law (there are time limits by which hearings must occur and decisions made). There is a general recognition that moving a kid from one family to another is traumatic with life-long impacts. Kinship care, all other things being equal, is generally preferable to foster care. Now, whether all things are equal is not an easy decision. Based on the reporting of the last hearing, one thing that can be expected tomorrow is a CPS report on the home study of the relatives being recommended for placement. I cannot foresee ANYTHING at this point being anything other than temporary. Clearly WM cannot legally be in the presence of this (or any child). Sini's situation is clearly in flux, at the very best. These are all appropriate considerations for the court,and it is the court that must make those considerations. The fact that a hearing is scheduled does not imply any particular outcome.

Jails and prisons in my area have like a TV court where inmates can meet court appearances for things like this from the jail. He is listed because he is her parent and those rights aren't terminated by incarceration. So, the docket will likely say both their names. I doubt he will attend physically, that's not something a jail is concerned about as far as transportation etc goes. He will likely have his lawyer attend on his behalf, and if the court tv system is available there then he may be in "attendance" that way, where the judge can speak directly to him and he to the judge in real time. It's a good system. I have known a lot of people who have put in their plea this way on criminal cases or done it this way for a basic remand. Very efficient.

Sini has sep lawyers, so they will be a second party to WM. CPS will likely be taking things into account like if she has talked to WM on the phone, if she has gone to visit him, etc. Basically, if she hasn't cut ties to him that is going to be a strike against her as she is staying in contact with the man responsible for her child's death. If she hasn't taken his calls or had any contact with him, that will go in her favor. If she has sought counselling of any sort that will also look good, as will her being on time for every single visit etc.

I would say there is a fairly good chance Sini will get her daughter back as to my knowledge she is living with her parents now and hasn't been back to the house since the Lexus video that showed her dad. That shows she has support of family and presumably a safe place to live. Unless LE says that an arrest for her is imminent and shows some evidence they really don't have reason to keep this child away from her mom... I am sure CPS has been highly involved and done some home visits etc outside of the scheduled visits to check on placement with Sini or any other family members.
JMO and how things work in my area.

There are two main reasons I would *not* place the bio daughter with the adoptive mother at this time. (1) I am not aware that LE has cleared her of any wrong doing. As a matter of fact, they stated there may be additional arrests. If they formally clear the adoptive mother than that is another matter. (2) Given the volatility of public sentiment, I would think it best the child is placed in a safe environment away from all the local activism

IMHO

I'm a bit behind on reading Sherin's threads but it just occurred to me that if the mother told LE "everything she knows", why on earth would she shut the door on speaking to LE again?
Is there a media source for this claim ?

Maybe you have to keep showing up at these hearings to show you're committed to getting the child back....and eventually you will? In other words, does it count against you later if you fail to show up or fail to pursue custody???

I don't know.

jmopinion

When a child is taken into the custody of social services due to allegations of abuse, neglect or dependence, there must be a hearing within 10 business days to allow for a response from the parents or persons from whom custody was removed. At that hearing in this case a continuance was granted due to WM not having proper legal representation, so Monday’s hearing is essentially the first hearing. The judge did order that home studies for possible family or friend placement in lieu of foster care begin.

Now, both parents are required by law to attend. This may be in person or if approved br the Judge electronically. They are not required to have legal representation but it is highly recommended. This hearing will in essence review the reason custody was sought by CPS/DSS/DCFS and determine if that removal was justified. Obviously we have a deceased child and a parent who has admitted to law enforcement that he is the direct cause of her death and that he proceeded to dispose of the body in an attempt to conceal the circumstances of the death. That alone is more than ample to justify the removal in the eyes of they. Second, does the possibility of the child being as continued risk if custody is returned? Unless the autopsy report makes a miraculous appearance showing some bizarre natural cause of death.(as bizarre as it sounds is possible) the fact that actual cause of death is unknown should be sufficient to show risk.

If as someone said Sini is living with her parents that would not work in her favor for getting the child placed with the grandparents. CPS/DSS/DCFS is notorious for dragging their feet completing familial home studies especially in sitiations where there are still so many unknowns. The court would normally be tolerant of them reporting that the studies are in progress this early in the proceedings. The parents having “high paid” attorneys does help in that these attorneys are usually more prepared and more insistent than the court appointed regulars who have dealt with so many families and excuses they tend to just go through the motions.

That at all being said unless a bombshell autopsy appearance occurs the odds are custody will remain with the department until such time that the cause of death is determined at least. Even though Sini is well within her legal rights not to cooperate with law enforcement is will still put her in an unfavorable light with CPS/DSS/DCFS and it is unlikely they will recommend unsupervised visits at this time. If the attorneys have worked diligently behind the lines there may be a move to a familial or friend placement but it would surprise me at this hearing unless a home study was just so outstanding it was impossible to delay.

WM is just window dressing at this time. If he is brought to court and his attorney can not get LE to alllow a change of clothing and removal of handcuffs during the hearing the visual impact is devastating. (I know it was in my case when my daughters bio was brought into court in her orange jumpsuit and cuffs). Those optics drive home the serious nature of this case and the risk to the child. The fact that Sini did not participate in searches or make public appeals will have no effect as both the court and CPS/DSS/DCFS understand that LE do not want parents participating in searches and possibly contaminating crime scenes and some people no matter how desperately the want to simply cannot speak publicly or to news cameras. She did have an attorney who spoke on her behalf and that shows effort.

IMHO - custody will remain with the department
She will remain in the current foster placement unless there are she is having issues adjusting at the current foster placement or there was a home study that was too good to ignore.
Sini will continue to have supervised visitation
Wesley will put his new bracelets back on and quietly go back to his new accommodations at the jail.
If placement remains at the current foster home the judge will order the department to step up home study efforts
A new hearing date will be set in 30 days.

Again based on my decades of experience with foster/adoptive care and as a Guardian ad Litem(CASA) volunteer this is my opinion without having access to the CPS/DSS/DCFS reports.

Not my post, but which claim do you mean?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Since OP specifically quoted "everything she knows" , I thought it was a direct quotation from a statement. I am only aware of the text from the official attorney statement in the links already shared above.

Since OP specifically quoted "everything she knows" , I thought it was a direct quotation from a statement. I am only aware of the text from the official attorney statement in the links already shared above.
I'm going to test whether edits are showing up as such, because I don't think they are on my end. Don't mind me.

You answered my question, but I need to point out that, as I said before, it was not my post. I was confused by your question, though, and wanted clarification.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I believe that was my post and i only meant that if Sini has said everything she wants to say or everytgibg she knows then i dont fault her for not subjecting to more interrogation. But that I wish she would talk more..

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

When a child is taken into the custody of social services due to allegations of abuse, neglect or dependence, there must be a hearing within 10 business days to allow for a response from the parents or persons from whom custody was removed. At that hearing in this case a continuance was granted due to WM not having proper legal representation, so Monday’s hearing is essentially the first hearing. The judge did order that home studies for possible family or friend placement in lieu of foster care begin.

Now, both parents are required by law to attend. This may be in person or if approved br the Judge electronically. They are not required to have legal representation but it is highly recommended. This hearing will in essence review the reason custody was sought by CPS/DSS/DCFS and determine if that removal was justified. Obviously we have a deceased child and a parent who has admitted to law enforcement that he is the direct cause of her death and that he proceeded to dispose of the body in an attempt to conceal the circumstances of the death. That alone is more than ample to justify the removal in the eyes of they. Second, does the possibility of the child being as continued risk if custody is returned? Unless the autopsy report makes a miraculous appearance showing some bizarre natural cause of death.(as bizarre as it sounds is possible) the fact that actual cause of death is unknown should be sufficient to show risk.

If as someone said Sini is living with her parents that would not work in her favor for getting the child placed with the grandparents. CPS/DSS/DCFS is notorious for dragging their feet completing familial home studies especially in sitiations where there are still so many unknowns. The court would normally be tolerant of them reporting that the studies are in progress this early in the proceedings. The parents having “high paid” attorneys does help in that these attorneys are usually more prepared and more insistent than the court appointed regulars who have dealt with so many families and excuses they tend to just go through the motions.

That at all being said unless a bombshell autopsy appearance occurs the odds are custody will remain with the department until such time that the cause of death is determined at least. Even though Sini is well within her legal rights not to cooperate with law enforcement is will still put her in an unfavorable light with CPS/DSS/DCFS and it is unlikely they will recommend unsupervised visits at this time. If the attorneys have worked diligently behind the lines there may be a move to a familial or friend placement but it would surprise me at this hearing unless a home study was just so outstanding it was impossible to delay.

WM is just window dressing at this time. If he is brought to court and his attorney can not get LE to alllow a change of clothing and removal of handcuffs during the hearing the visual impact is devastating. (I know it was in my case when my daughters bio was brought into court in her orange jumpsuit and cuffs). Those optics drive home the serious nature of this case and the risk to the child. The fact that Sini did not participate in searches or make public appeals will have no effect as both the court and CPS/DSS/DCFS understand that LE do not want parents participating in searches and possibly contaminating crime scenes and some people no matter how desperately the want to simply cannot speak publicly or to news cameras. She did have an attorney who spoke on her behalf and that shows effort.

IMHO - custody will remain with the department
She will remain in the current foster placement unless there are she is having issues adjusting at the current foster placement or there was a home study that was too good to ignore.
Sini will continue to have supervised visitation
Wesley will put his new bracelets back on and quietly go back to his new accommodations at the jail.
If placement remains at the current foster home the judge will order the department to step up home study efforts
A new hearing date will be set in 30 days.

Again based on my decades of experience with foster/adoptive care and as a Guardian ad Litem(CASA) volunteer this is my opinion without having access to the CPS/DSS/DCFS reports.

Great info. I also think it will depend on how cooperative Sini is being with CPS. As in, is she answering their questions, meeting with the worker, has she set up trauma counselling for the loss of Sherin, is she in contact regularly and asking about her daughter, was it important for her to be the one to tell her daughter about Sherin's death, has she been wanting this child to meet with a therapist to be sure she is coping well and so on. Basically, if she is doing everything they ask and is eagerly showing that she is demanding the best for her daughter, I think that could be a big help.

I also wonder what CPS care is like in this specific location. Has this child been in the same home since she was removed? If not how many times has she been moved? How many other children are also in the home? Does she have her culture around her? Has she had to stop school or switch schools? How many times? Many homes are "emergency" homes and within a week or two they HOPE to have the child in a more permanent/long term foster home if one opens. So if she has bounced around a couple of times already that could also play a role.

I think one thing people need to remember is there are plenty of serious criminals who do NOT lose their children at all, and there are others who don't break any laws and lose them because of small complaints adding up. Many times, in my experience, parents who show positive signs for healthy change and an eagerness to cooperate with CPS, regardless of the past, are given their children back, and remain closely monitored.

Even if Sini gets her daughter back it will by no means be a case-closed.

Finally, I am sure CPS will be using information that has not yet been released. They may have sealed records of the preliminary autopsy report that are good enough for use in this setting at this time, but not good enough for public release. Copies of her statements given to LE about Sherin's disappearance and death. The state of the home and such during initial searches and then the search warrants, would also have been photographed, and could come into play as well. If the home was neat and tidy with proper safety equipment, plenty of good food, toys and things that a child should have to thrive, that could help to speed up some of the process as they sort of have a "before and after" about the type of home Sini and WM had. The reports for Sherin given to the adoption agency will also likely be good evidence for getting the other child back and of course the adoption home studies and psych reports and everything that goes into the process will likely also be helpful for Sini. Much of the home study type of work has been done because of Sherin's adoption and the type of reporting that was required this past year. So, CPS may try and drag their feet, but Sini's lawyers may be quick to say "look we have all of that information right here. It's as current as this past year" and a judge may look fondly at that.

I know this stuff often takes a lot of time, but I do feel like some of the circumstances that required this girl to be removed, are also the exact reasons why she should be brought home. She has lost her entire world, from school to church and her usual friends, to her parents, home, bed, own possessions, and of course the death of her sister. She SHOULD be around people she is familiar with so that she can grieve Sherin, grieve the loss of her dad, and grieve anything else she will have lost because of all of this.

ALL JMO

There are two main reasons I would *not* place the bio daughter with the adoptive mother at this time. (1) I am not aware that LE has cleared her of any wrong doing. As a matter of fact, they stated there may be additional arrests. If they formally clear the adoptive mother than that is another matter. (2) Given the volatility of public sentiment, I would think it best the child is placed in a safe environment away from all the local activism

IMHO

And now I am going to add reason #3. This household had previous involvement with CPS per this article.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/20/parents-missing-richardson-girl-cps/

And now I am going to add reason #3. This household had previous involvement with CPS per this article.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/20/parents-missing-richardson-girl-cps/

CPS has never verified WHY they had previous contact. We do know that the Mathews were reporting for the adoption, this may have had CPS send out a social worker to do a small investigation each time. It also could have been previous to the actual adoption during the adoption process. I don't know if Richardson is "big" or "small" when it comes to services available, but if it were my town, CPS would be the one doing those things as they help with adoption services and home studies. They also are the ones you call to set up any type of child therapies, including things like speech therapy. We also know Sherin had her arm in a sling, it may have been something as simple as them doing a wellness check on this because Sherin was newly adopted -being extra careful.

JMO

IMHO

Legally speaking, LE does not "clear" someone or declare them innocent. Innocence is presumed until guilt is proven. That said, family courts have greater latitude to make decisions based on the best interest of the child. This child was remove from a situation in which one parent admitted to placing a sibling at risk. Since that time, there has been an escalation in what he has admitted to. Even if he could be tried and locked up next week, and Sini not charged, there would have to be considerations about the impact of changed family dynamics, likelihood of Sini ever being in another relationship with someone who could hurt a child. I would say that these are more serious considerations than the public agitation.

If Sini does get custody back, does this mean she will have to divorce WM? We don't know how long WM is going to jail for. What if he is jailed for only a few months/years and is back with Sini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010