TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pry bar is also a tool that we see. Also potentially a tac light just as the suspect approaches the auditorium. So yes, there are multiple tools seen on video.

But all LE said was that Missy had wounds “consistent with the tools”. Meaning they did not observe wounds on her body that would be inconsistent with anything the suspect was known to be carrying.

“Consistent with the tools” does not mean “must have been caused by more than one tool.”

However, GS, as NIN has shown us, in their very careful analysis, the possible firearm on SPs body but it's so very doubtful anyone else has studied the video as NIN has in order to find a firearm. Hence, the only tools we, (we being the general audience), see SP carrying is the pry bar and the hammer.

Sure, SP could have conked her over the head with the pry bar or somehow, a professional killer would def know how, puncture her with it but SP never lets go of that hammer so it's possible all three tools were utilized for SPs purposes and those are the tools LEO is referring to.

My own opinion is that the firearm and the hammer were the killing weapons. And, that's consistent with the Warrant data. (Gun in SPs right hand and hammer in SPs left hand at the time of the heinous attack, jmho.)

Do you really suspect SP used a his tactical light in order to kill MB? It's not preposterous, simply unlikely.

Welcome to Websleuths, Gumshoejane.

I can go along with a targeted hit. If one was to plan a targeted killing, it's hard to think of a better place than the empty church in the early morning hours. Missy is isolated from friends, family and the public. She's distanced from her phone and gun. She's away from her vehicle. It's dark. The killer has the surprise advantage.

Where else could a targeted hit on Missy have occurred that would cover all these bases?
Lots of places. And with less risk.

If this person supposedly put all this movie-worthy strategy and cunning into a plan to murder Missy at the church, why would they still be willing to carry it out when it’s 4:15 and there is STILL no sign of Missy... with early bird campers now likely to arrive within moments of, or simultaneously with, or even BEFORE, Missy?

And to @DeDee ’s scenario of SP hiding in the auditorium - how in the world is SP going to know if Missy is even going to come that far inside and how is SP going to know that she won’t have someone walking with her or standing just outside the door in plain view?

If the answer is, “Well, SP was willing to accept collateral damage,” then why kill her inside the church, having hung around and gone on a tour for the longest time? Why not just drive into the lot right as they begin workouts and shoot them all while they’re exercising in the parking lot, or if they’re inside, rush in and blow them all away with a semi-automatic ? Or any other number of scenarios - block the end of her rural road with your car and shoot her when she stops. Or go break into her house overnight and shoot her in her bed.

Or if you have the argument of, “Well, they thought they had planned everything out but they didn’t know about the early bird workout”, it doesn’t make much sense to assume they’re capable of all this planning but would make such a boneheaded omission as to not even know when her workouts actually started.

Honestly, put yourself in the mindset of this killer who supposedly has it in for Missy and has decided to kill her. The drawing board is empty and you can come up with any plan you want. Maybe you do decide to make it happen at the church. But... would you really break in so much earlier than needed? Would you really break in at all, when it would be super easy to hide in the bushes near the awning entrance and blow her away as soon as she steps out of her truck? There is nothing around the church. No one would hear the gunshot.

But instead, what so many want to go with is a super intelligent killer who tries to fake a burglary but yet doesn’t fool anyone (except apparently me) because in all his Mission Impossible intelligence, he forgets to actually TAKE anything. Right.

And this “smart” guy apparently can walk all over the church, doing whatever, not bothering to be near the place his “target” will enter, yet he must believe that it is all magically going to work out. And somehow it does. That’s when you invent a whole other character in this scenario - The Accomplice - despite there being zero indication of such.

However, GS, as NIN has shown us, in their very careful analysis, the possible firearm on SPs body but it's so very doubtful anyone else has studied the video as NIN has in order to find a firearm. Hence, the only tools we, (we being the general audience), see SP carrying is the pry bar and the hammer.

Sure, SP could have conked her over the head with the pry bar or somehow, a professional killer would def know how, puncture her with it but SP never lets go of that hammer so it's possible all three tools were utilized for SPs purposes and those are the tools LEO is referring to.

My own opinion is that the firearm and the hammer were the killing weapons. And, that's consistent with the Warrant data. (Gun in SPs right hand and hammer in SPs left hand at the time of the heinous attack, jmho.)

Do you really suspect SP used a his tactical light in order to kill MB? It's not preposterous, simply unlikely.
I don’t think it matters whether we see a firearm in the video or not. We know she was shot. And police certainly knew it the day of the autopsy if not before. The point is, police were not carefully crafting every single word and wringing their hands over it. They were throwing these warrants together when needed in that first week, and we err if we hang onto those affidavits as if they are gospel truth. Maybe Missy was killed with multiple tools. Maybe she wasn’t. You shouldn’t take “consistent with tools” verbiage and try to make it mean more than it does because it does not tell us whether she was or wasn’t killed with multiple tools. Otherwise, we might as well go back to the warrant that referenced “external relationship(s)” and resume the goofy argument about what the “(s)” means.

Just to clarify, please don’t anybody take too personally anything I say. Everyone is more than welcome to believe whatever they wish. And we ALL are capable of being wrong on various aspects of this case. It is a confounding case on many levels. I’m not trying to suppress any theory at all, just trying to look at each with a critical eye. Which should include my own theories. Now I’m going to take a break and let others talk.

Lots of places. And with less risk.

If this person supposedly put all this movie-worthy strategy and cunning into a plan to murder Missy at the church, why would they still be willing to carry it out when it’s 4:15 and there is STILL no sign of Missy... with early bird campers now likely to arrive within moments of, or simultaneously with, or even BEFORE, Missy?

And to @DeDee ’s scenario of SP hiding in the auditorium - how in the world is SP going to know if Missy is even going to come that far inside and how is SP going to know that she won’t have someone walking with her or standing just outside the door in plain view?

If the answer is, “Well, SP was willing to accept collateral damage,” then why kill her inside the church, having hung around and gone on a tour for the longest time? Why not just drive into the lot right as they begin workouts and shoot them all while they’re exercising in the parking lot, or if they’re inside, rush in and blow them all away with a semi-automatic ? Or any other number of scenarios - block the end of her rural road with your car and shoot her when she stops. Or go break into her house overnight and shoot her in her bed.

Or if you have the argument of, “Well, they thought they had planned everything out but they didn’t know about the early bird workout”, it doesn’t make much sense to assume they’re capable of all this planning but would make such a boneheaded omission as to not even know when her workouts actually started.

Honestly, put yourself in the mindset of this killer who supposedly has it in for Missy and has decided to kill her. The drawing board is empty and you can come up with any plan you want. Maybe you do decide to make it happen at the church. But... would you really break in so much earlier than needed? Would you really break in at all, when it would be super easy to hide in the bushes near the awning entrance and blow her away as soon as she steps out of her truck? There is nothing around the church. No one would hear the gunshot.

But instead, what so many want to go with is a super intelligent killer who tries to fake a burglary but yet doesn’t fool anyone (except apparently me) because in all his Mission Impossible intelligence, he forgets to actually TAKE anything. Right.

And this “smart” guy apparently can walk all over the church, doing whatever, not bothering to be near the place his “target” will enter, yet he must believe that it is all magically going to work out. And somehow it does. That’s when you invent a whole other character in this scenario - The Accomplice - despite there being zero indication of such.
You make some really good points but my respectful opinion is that the SP knew MB’s habits, was very aware of how she sets up her class and when. The SP wanted to be seen on camera prowling in the church to fool all of us into believing this was a robbery gone wrong. In my opinion, this was a very well planned murder, in the works for months prior. This is just my opinion and I do respect your opinion as well.

Every time someone lays out all the reasons they think it was a robbery gone wrong, I think “oh that seems possible” then someone explains their theory for targeted kill, I think “absolutely”.

Personally I lean towards targeted kill but really like to see both perspectives. And if I’m proven wrong it’s likely because of an arrest and I’ll be elated. So I’m good either way.

A lot of time and effort expended there, Nin. Good work. Comments inline below, in bold.

Thank you for your comments GS. Yes, I did not specifically include which rooms and areas SP may have entered or checked out in the E and partial W hallways because we have the timestamped short video from MPD showing at what time he traversed from the W to the S hallway. I was more interested to see, how he moves through the rest of the hallways, at least in theory.

SP did pull out that tactical light in front of the SW auditorium doors and kept moving forward without hesitation. I expected him to enter. But you are correct. We really do not know.
Perhaps the attack did happen around he alcove(s) in the W hallway and the auditorium was not part of it at all. What kind of flooring is in the auditorium by the way, carpet?

I will give you the extra time by allowing SP to move in a more slower pace around. Makes sense. So we should be able to eliminate the extra overflow of 2 minutes. It just gets tricky again with room 17: The more time they spent here, the tighter the timeline gets again.

The timeline could be one of the reasons MPD stated they did not understand the suspect's movements in the church - yet.

-Nin

Hear Ye! Hear ye! Please lend me your ear!

Here's a video from CBS with Gayle King reporting. It is dated April 20, 2016 or just two days after Missy's murder.

The SP video has audio but LEO cut the audio away from the one released to the public, for reasons only known to them.

In the first few seconds of the video, I can hear the sound of SP walking (clomping) and then opening the Double Dutch Door. :)

Squeaking of the door opening can be heard again a little over a minute into the video, jmho. Hope you'll listen to agree, disagree, augment....

You may wish to stop the video just before it ends so you can listen again or else CBS will begin reporting the latest news.

@Jethro4WS if you're around, hoping you'll check this out for its veracity. Where can we find more video with audio like it?

Police release more video in search of Texas church murder suspect

Just to clarify, please don’t anybody take too personally anything I say. Everyone is more than welcome to believe whatever they wish. And we ALL are capable of being wrong on various aspects of this case. It is a confounding case on many levels. I’m not trying to suppress any theory at all, just trying to look at each with a critical eye. Which should include my own theories. Now I’m going to take a break and let others talk.

Hi Gumshoe, I remember either from one of your podcasts or on here you mentioned you didn’t agree with the path MPD is taking regarding persons of interest (I’m paraphrasing). I know you can’t reveal specifics but are you aware that MPD does have current persons of interest who are being watched and/or investigated? Sorry, if I somehow misconstrued what you said but would like clarification or maybe I’m just misremembering altogether lol. Thanks for all of your insight.

Here's a video from CBS with Gayle King reporting. It is dated April 20, 2016 or just two days after Missy's murder.

The SP video has audio but LEO cut the audio away from the one released to the public, for reasons only known to them.

In the first few seconds of the video, I can hear the sound of SP walking (clomping) and then opening the Double Dutch Door. :)

Squeaking of the door opening can be heard again a little over a minute into the video, jmho. Hope you'll listen to agree, disagree, augment....

You may wish to stop the video just before it ends so you can listen again or else CBS will begin reporting the latest news.

@Jethro4WS if you're around, hoping you'll check this out for its veracity. Where can we find more video with audio like it?

Wow! I can hear footsteps and a click as SP opens the dutch doors.

Great pickup DeDee and fabulously interesting. Yes, sounds exactly like you've described. So the audio has been removed .... could there have been a phone ring, or a wall clock chime that went off, or some other device sound that they don't want the public to know about? H'mm, would be very curious to know.

Precisely, My Dear. Isn't it terrifying to know SP was in that dark Church waiting, with a gun and a hammer, for a beautiful mother of three to enter so he could viciously end her life?

I've mentioned this before but don't mind repeating it. I feel the SP entered the auditorium at the South Hallway then made his way to the front entry double doors and opened one as MB passes by or as she approaches then SP shoots her. Feeling glued to that possible theory, att. That would explain why we see CS investigators thru the Western doors.
May I say at this point (no time really fits for it), that I remember to have read in the beginning, Missy went around the church outside (in heavy rain) from the SW entrance to the main entrance W. I remember my own astonishment about that, asking, why she would have had to do it. If I further remember right (not sure), it should have had to do with her key, so as if she had to open the SW entrance door from inside to let the campers in.
This sequence of events was reported only once and I remember, when I was done with my wondering about it, the "story" never got repeated, which could have had different reasons.
Does anyone remember the same and is it true or half-true or nonsense? Of course it would change the event a lot, IF Missy entered the church not where we think since 2016, that she entered.

Last edited:
Here is a lengthy post about the timeline of the suspect's movements inside the church. The summary is, that we end up with a rather tight timeline as opposed to think the perp had all the time in the world..(or so it apprears..)

Timeline (MPD updated video, MPD timestamped short video, GS corrected sequence video)

· NE camera picks up suspect emerging from room 8 (Connection Café) entering N hallway @ 3:50am

· Walks down N hallway going W

· Proceeds into W hallway going S

· SW camera picks up suspect @ some point while moving S

· Opens door of room 2 (cub room) and enters/returns

· Tries to unsuccessfully open Room 1 (janitorial) for app 30 secs.

· SE camera picks up suspect traversing into S hallway @ 3:58 29s going E.

· Opens up double dutch doors of room 21 (nursery), looks into room

· Stops at room 20 (Xerox room)

· Camera picks him up approaching from E end of the S hallway moving W

· Suspect enters Auditorium.

· NE Camera picks up suspect exiting room 10 (youth group)

· Suspect possibly hammers vertical window of room 9 (storage room) and seems to enter room, 18 sec

Hallway lengths (according to /WS and GS/WS

102’ from middle of NW hallway to middle of NE hallway

102’ from middle of SW Hallway to middle SE Hallway

128’ from middle of NE Hallway to middle of SE Hallway

128’ from middle of SW Hallway to middle of SE Hallway

1. Total linear feet: 460 feet

2. App. Feet per s walking averages 4.6 feet per second

3. Total of app. 100 s for one time around the church (460 linear feet), nonstop walking, no stopping

4. Walking the 4 Hallways without stopping:

N Hallway - app. 22.2 seconds

W Hallway – app.27.7 seconds

S Hallway - app. 22.2 seconds

E Hallway - app. 27,7 seconds

We know it took the suspect 8 min and 29 secs to get from exiting room 8 in the N Hallway moving counter clockwise to traversing from W to S Hallway, while checking out/ visibly entering room2 and trying to open room 1.

He then opens up at least one more room in the S Hallway (room 20) and disappears from the view.

He is visible again approaching from an Easterly direction moving towards West and entering the Auditorium via double doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building.

Last time we see the suspect is in the East Hallway exiting from room10 and breaking into room 9, which is right across from room 10.

Calculated time from emerging time (3:50am according to MPD) to approximate time of when MB enters the church through S Main Entrance(4:18am according to MPD):

· 8min 29secs from exiting room 8 to middle of W and S Hallway (includes stop at room 1, app. 30 seconds). Total of 8 min
29 secs.

· Moving from room to room (outer perimeter) in S Hallway app. 22.2 sec walking only (102’ 4.6’/sec). Total of 22.2 secs

· Suspect seems to open up doors (3 secs) and glances (2sec) or enters ( app 10 secs) randomly.

S Hallway consists of 7 rooms. That would be 35 secs for opening the doors peeking in or more for entering. Total of 35secs.

· We know room 17 was more disturbed, so we add more time here. Total 60 secs (or only 30 secs ?)

E Hallway consists of 4 rooms on the outside perimeter and 2 rooms on the inside. There is an additional auditorium entry
on the inside. It is unclear, whether the suspect checked and entered or not. Subtotal time 27.7

· secs for walking, 18 secs for opening 6 rooms plus app. 16 secs for breaking into room 9 and an extra 5 secs for possibly
entering room 9. Total of 66.7 secs.

· Check out room 14 app 5 s. Total 5secs.

· Walk down hallway from SE to SW corner 22 secs, entering auditorium + 2secs on SW corner. Total 24 secs

SUMMARY TIME SPENT (all times approximal):

8min (1601 secs) + 29secs

22.2 secs

35secs

60secs

66.7 secs

5secs

24secs

TOTAL TIME SPENT since entering N Hallway to entering auditorium (S Hallway):

1842.9 secs = 30.6 min

Surplus of 2.6 min = 156 secs. We need a total of 28 min until MB enters the church. Deducting 30 secs from room 17. We have a surplus of 126 secs or 2 min 6 secs.

They may have opened up the auditorium doors on the E Hallway and peeked in or the doors were locked and he entered through the S doors located at the SW corner of the inside of the building (sounds familiar..). If he peeked, we can deduct some more seconds. I would then not understand why they did not enter the auditorium right away.

Again, we have a surplus of about app. 2 min.+-

What does that mean? It means I have miscalculated somewhere, although the calculations seems reasonable. Or the suspect did not check all rooms listed. The times assigned to each room though seem very conservative to me. Or we made a mistake in the suspect’s movements throughout the church. It seems reasonable though, that they went counterclockwise checking out the rooms located on the outer perimeter first ( GS’/WS theory) and then clockwise checking out the inside rooms including the auditorium.

It may be a combination of the above mentioned factors.

What does that all mean? It means, that the suspect did not have any time left IMO to explore the auditorium itself. We already have 2 in surplus left. We needed 28min , but have slightly more than 30min. Even if we find the faulty 2 min, we

would still need time for the suspect to walk through the auditorium. Or didn’t he plan on that?

In conclusion the suspect IMO may have been interrupted during that process. The attack therefore may have very well started inside the auditorium. Or, the attack was targeted and it was late in time, so he notices MB pulling into the driveway and hides inside the auditorium, when she enters. That would be indeed 2 min from pulling in to entering the church for MB plus the time she needed to walk down the hallway.

He would then perhaps have to make a noise, so MB would check out the auditorium and they could attack her.

Whatever happened and wherever the suspect moved prior and past MB’s murder, looking at the timeline and the suspect’s movements, he did seem to run out of time in the end..

Thank you for going through my lengthy timeline.

ALL IMO

-Nin

Our talented NIN has shown off for us again with a display of talent in composing a remarkable timeline of the SPs walk. My head bows to you, NIN, in honor of your arduous work and dedication to solving this murder mystery.

He would then perhaps have to make a noise, so MB would check out the auditorium and they could attack her.

Perhaps the noise that alerts Missy is the sound he makes when he opens the auditorium door. The noise causes Missy to turn her head. Isn't that what the podiatrist said she did? In that way, the noise of an opening door grabs her attention so Missy turns her head to acknowledge it, perhaps, and finds herself surprised and shocked to see a faux Police Officer with his firearm drawn and pointing at her.

I feel quite ill just considering the implications. No matter that it's been years with this particular case, it remains just as frightening as it always has been.

edit for punctuation correction

for punctuation correction

Last edited:
May I say at this point (no time really fits for it), that I remember to have read in the beginning, Missy went around the church outside (in heavy rain) from the SW entrance to the main entrance W. I remember my own astonishment about that, asking, why she would have had to do it. If I further remember right (not sure), it should have had to do with her key, so as if she had to open the SW entrance door from inside to let the campers in.
This sequence of events was reported only once and I remember, when I was done with my wondering about it, the "story" never got repeated, which could have had different reasons.
Does anyone remember the same and is it true or half-true or nonsense? Of course it would change the event a lot, IF Missy entered the church not where we think since 2016, that she entered.

The idea that MB entered through the W entrance was never a "fact". It was merely people misunderstanding what the given descriptions of events were conveying. From that misunderstanding, there was WS speculation trying to "explain" why she had gone to that W entrance (some of which you cite).

And, as you say, the idea went away quickly -- just as soon as people had a better comprehension of what LE had been saying.

She entered via the doors at the SW corner of the church. There is no question about it.

Yes, I recall that discussion, FromGermany, about MB possibly opening the W front door in order to enter the building but that theory was debunked. She def entered at the SW Porte-Cochère.

I always thought she had a plastic card with a magnetic strip but others say it was by using a metal key as both options are visible at or on, respectively, the SW exterior doors.

A few months ago, I deleted many images related to MBs murder and that was one of them. However, if you wish to see it, toss me a PM and I'll dig it out of my google photos for you.

Last edited:

No. The cameras at Creekside did not have audio capability, period. What you heard on the CBS clip was an open studio mic, most likely the one belonging to the reporter that the show cut to after the surveillance video clip ended. I went on a forum for audio engineers and asked them to review it. That was their conclusion. They said that what people interpreted as “footsteps” did not have the qualities of what footsteps would actually sound like. You’re hearing a shuffling kind of sound. They said in an empty church with that stained concrete floor and the perp clearly picking up their feet and not shuffling, you would expect to hear distinct footsteps that would echo or reverberate in that environment.

But regardless - the cameras were video only.

Hi Gumshoe, I remember either from one of your podcasts or on here you mentioned you didn’t agree with the path MPD is taking regarding persons of interest (I’m paraphrasing). I know you can’t reveal specifics but are you aware that MPD does have current persons of interest who are being watched and/or investigated? Sorry, if I somehow misconstrued what you said but would like clarification or maybe I’m just misremembering altogether lol. Thanks for all of your insight.
I would love to comment, but unfortunately I cannot speak on what police are currently doing.

Thank you for your comments GS. Yes, I did not specifically include which rooms and areas SP may have entered or checked out in the E and partial W hallways because we have the timestamped short video from MPD showing at what time he traversed from the W to the S hallway. I was more interested to see, how he moves through the rest of the hallways, at least in theory.

SP did pull out that tactical light in front of the SW auditorium doors and kept moving forward without hesitation. I expected him to enter. But you are correct. We really do not know.
Perhaps the attack did happen around he alcove(s) in the W hallway and the auditorium was not part of it at all. What kind of flooring is in the auditorium by the way, carpet?

I will give you the extra time by allowing SP to move in a more slower pace around. Makes sense. So we should be able to eliminate the extra overflow of 2 minutes. It just gets tricky again with room 17: The more time they spent here, the tighter the timeline gets again.

The timeline could be one of the reasons MPD stated they did not understand the suspect's movements in the church - yet.

-Nin
Regarding the flooring in the auditorium, it is stained concrete just like the hallways.

On your timeline, now I’m wondering if I misunderstood you on your 2-minute overage. With your assumptions, you had SP spending 30 mins of time in the church, when the actual time was 28 minutes (3:50 to 4:18). So, you had the suspect spending 2 more minutes than they actually had. Am I correct on that?

So with my comments about SP maybe not able to walk as fast as you assumed, and maybe spending more time in the offices, that means we are slowing SP down, not speeding SP up. So we are not eliminating the 2-min overage. We are creating MORE of an overage. Right? Or am I off base?

This is something I put out awhile back. It covers things like the “audio” on the CBS clip of the surveillance video. One caveat on one of the other myths - while I continue to believe that there is NO bumper sticker on the Altima, there are those who strongly disagree.
10 Myths of the Missy Bevers Murder

ETA: Also, myth #8 contains some outdated info about the awning entrance door having a “button”. I’ve since found out more about how that door worked:
How Did That Awning Door Work, Anyway?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members