TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe, a woman -however angry and jealous she might be - would wait for her rival in an empty church by night, wearing Swat gear, breaking glass here and there, having a gun ready and then attack Missy with gun AND tool in a flash, escaping like a ghost unseen.
Punkture wounds on Missy's chest could be seen as the angry act of a woman; on the other hand, upper body wounds are rather lethal, and a murderer would know it.
IMO of course
Your probably right. I’m all over the map on this case.

I don't believe, a woman -however angry and jealous she might be - would wait for her rival in an empty church by night, wearing Swat gear, breaking glass here and there, having a gun ready and then attack Missy with gun AND tool in a flash, escaping like a ghost unseen.
Punkture wounds on Missy's chest could be seen as the angry act of a woman; on the other hand, upper body wounds are rather lethal, and a murderer would know it.
IMO of course

I agree that there is no proof it was a woman. I think the idea that it could be a woman comes from the lack of motive and that the crime seems rather creative in how it played out.

Was it an interrupted burglary or a targeted crime against either Missy Bevers, the church, or the Gladiator Camp is the main question in this case. Knowing how Missy Bevers was killed and her injuries would go a long way in coming to a better conclusion about that. For example, was there a violent physical face to face confrontation with a hammer or other weapons being used on Missy and then maybe she was shot? Or was she simply shot with a gun and this person left the building after the crime?

The glass case in the northwest corner near where her body was found does not make any sense. Either it was broken by a killer trying to make it look like a staged burglary by breaking things throughout the building or there was some sort of violent confrontation between Missy and her killer that resulted in it being broken. Unfortunately, only the police have the answers to these questions.

Over the years, numerous unarmed people have been killed by burglars whom they interrupted. Why did any of those burglars kill instead of fleeing?

Getting caught in the act seems to trigger a violent response fairly often. It probably has to do with a mixture of shame, anger, and adrenaline triggering a fight-or-flight response.

There are burglars in prison for life right now for killing people who interrupted them when those burglars could have fled and only served a few years even if they had been caught.

These guys aren't too adept at weighing the risks and rewards. If they were, they probably wouldn't be committing B&Es.
But the context here is somewhat different it was an empty church as far as the perp knew. Was Missy far away from the perp when the perp decided to harm/kill her? These types of things have to be considered also.
I have no way to know but I'd think that most of those burglars who killed did not have the outfit that obscured their identity completely - cause that seem to be rare thing.
There might be also the adrenaline associated with feeling of being not only caught but "trapped" if the person interrupting the burglary is somewhat "blocking" the burglar's way out of the flat/store/whatever.

If someone is doing burglary then surely they arent doing best life choices anyway and it was mentioned many times that it's not that realistic to expect them to have clear mind and see it as "okay, now I cooperate and act nicely so I'll get few years at worse instead of becoming a murderer and taking my 10, 20, 30% chances of getting away with it and 70-90 of getting not being free man ever again". Handsight is 20/20 and it applies there too.

But how many of those burglars who are currently serving life sentences for killing people who interrupted them had a luxury of wearing outfit that completely disguised them? I'd guess that not so many, cause minority seem to take an effort to wear a bandana, mask or one of these black socks working as full headwear (that I currently forgot how are called).

There is no telling, Missy could unfortunately end up in a spot from where she was "blocking" the perp's way out of a room, but that's just a possibility. It's almost more likely here that the perp got out of thei way to commit this murder instead of focusing on fleeing the place.

I have no way to know but I'd think that most of those burglars who killed did not have the outfit that obscured their identity completely - cause that seem to be rare thing.
There might be also the adrenaline associated with feeling of being not only caught but "trapped" if the person interrupting the burglary is somewhat "blocking" the burglar's way out of the flat/store/whatever.

If someone is doing burglary then surely they arent doing best life choices anyway and it was mentioned many times that it's not that realistic to expect them to have clear mind and see it as "okay, now I cooperate and act nicely so I'll get few years at worse instead of becoming a murderer and taking my 10, 20, 30% chances of getting away with it and 70-90 of getting not being free man ever again". Handsight is 20/20 and it applies there too.

But how many of those burglars who are currently serving life sentences for killing people who interrupted them had a luxury of wearing outfit that completely disguised them? I'd guess that not so many, cause minority seem to take an effort to wear a bandana, mask or one of these black socks working as full headwear (that I currently forgot how are called).

There is no telling, Missy could unfortunately end up in a spot from where she was "blocking" the perp's way out of a room, but that's just a possibility. It's almost more likely here that the perp got out of thei way to commit this murder instead of focusing on fleeing the place.
Missy might have blocked the perp's way; we don't have enough information to say.

IMO, It is fairly easy to disprove the idea that this was targeted now that we have the podiatrists testimony.

If Missy heard someone in the Church when no one should have been there, instead of going towards where the person was in order to investigate, all she had to do was exit the building and call the police. Most people—most women, especially—would have done exactly that.

She had a chance to remove herself from the situation unscathed but didn't take it. No killer who had targeted Missy would have given her that chance.

I don't know whether this perp was there to steal or simply to role play and vandalize, but I am confident that he was not there for Missy.

Your probably right. I’m all over the map on this case.
I don't know, if I am right or not. Maybe, you are right with a woman as the SP. There were probably 1-2-3 angry women. But have you ever seen the images from a talented member here on WS, who showed us the assumed stature (green) of SP within the disguise? Atm I can't remember the sleuth's name.

She had a chance to remove herself from the situation unscathed but didn't take it. No killer who had targeted Missy would have given her that chance.
Snipped by me. I have been in the "prowler-interrupted" camp from pretty much day one but I've never heard someone put it quite like that. I think you make an excellent point - especially considering that according to the podiatrist she entered the building, heard something and went toward it where she just as easily could have gone back to her car. I think you checked another box for me in supporting my theory on the case.
My speculation only.

Snipped by me. I have been in the "prowler-interrupted" camp from pretty much day one but I've never heard someone put it quite like that. I think you make an excellent point - especially considering that according to the podiatrist she entered the building, heard something and went toward it where she just as easily could have gone back to her car. I think you checked another box for me in supporting my theory on the case.
My speculation only.
Yes, that could be how it happened, but maybe she thought one of her class members had arrived and she went to see, not expecting anyone else to be around?

I lean towards it being targeted as well. If it wasn’t targeted , why did the perp kill her at all. Why not just flee? Or at least, just knock her out.

With their disguise she would have had no idea who they were. Why kill her?
It makes no sense, unless they had a habit of killing people? And do people like that bother with such elaborate disguises? Maybe, idk.

That, and it all seemed to be too much to be simply coincidental.

It really reminds me of something from a horror movie like “Scream”. Unfortunately it wasn’t just a movie. :(
100% everything you said.

Wouldn't that work only if they'd connect to local wifi or use actual internet connection that someone was paying to get?
What about some sort of radio connection? Or surveillance cameras or photo traps meant to work where no cable, wifi or internet is available?
Straight line distance between SFWA parking lot and church is not that big. And it's clearly possible to find a spot where it's not obscured by even a tree.
View attachment 362030
Im not even sure if I see that as likely possibility, cause I fail to see anything that could be considered a laptop (but definitely some phone/gps/tabletlike kind of thing).
I would agree with you that this is unlikely, but what if the stops and starts were to find a good connection for this (non wifi) communication with the church? Then this person left SFWA because they could not establish the connection?
I would say it seems too “smart” compared with other behavior in this case, but they must be smart or lucky because they got away with murder.

Missy might have blocked the perp's way; we don't have enough information to say.

IMO, It is fairly easy to disprove the idea that this was targeted now that we have the podiatrists testimony.

If Missy heard someone in the Church when no one should have been there, instead of going towards where the person was in order to investigate, all she had to do was exit the building and call the police. Most people—most women, especially—would have done exactly that.

I don't know whether this perp was there to steal or simply to role play and vandalize, but I am confident that he was not there for Missy.
It must not be that easy if investigators weren't able to rule this possibility out completely.

Some people knew that surveillance in the church isn't working like it should.

Were they making a big deal out of it? Warning everyone who could end up being the first/last/only one in the church at some time to be especially cautious?
If YES - perp could learn about it from same source and use that to their advantage.
If NOT - then apparently people felt relatively safe about it and didn't think of it as a big deal.

Some people knew that Missy will be going there at this time of night to get ready for her classes.
Was that a big deal? Unusual? First time ever?

If YES - she should be advised to have someone to accompany her, someone else than her husband to remind her to be cautious and enter only in a group as students will arrive; reminded that surveillance is there for a reason and place can be not so safe at the time.
If it didn't happen and was immediately taken as super neglectful on the church administration's side or if it happen but Missy ignored it, then it'd be a different story. But nobody really said that it was the case.
If NOT - then she had no reason to be super extra cautious and nervous upon realising that someone else is there.

Everything seems to be hinting that it wasn't THAT big of a deal, and that church is huge: many rooms, multiple playrooms, kitchen, office and so on. Not "just" a church, where there could be literally like one or two people who would have keyes and none who could be there without mentioning it to the others.
Was Missy so well informed and in touch with everyone who had access to the keys to know that 100% she will be there alone, totally no way that someone else may show up at random time to clean, set up a playroom, change decorations or do something? Is there any reason to expect that she was?

It seems to be pretty active community with various activities and events going on. There could be plenty of people (in reality or in Missy's considerations) who could end up having a reason to be there, working on something to get it ready before work, before an event, or before group of kids will arrive.

If what she heard would be really scary, omnious sound hinting at someone with ill intent being there, she would turn back and run away. Cause why would she stay and go to investigate unarmed and unaware what's going on. To risk her health, safety and life just cause she could and had nothing better to do?

We don't know what she heard and if it was just a suspicious sound or something that could be easily associated with a person causing the sound. And surely we can't assume that she heard someone breaking things in church while confident that there was no innocent/good reason for someone from the community to be there and just choosed to walk on a crazy cop wannabe doing his late night church cosplay weirdity.

And this is victim blaming.

Either A: cause she was so fierce and confrontational that it could be expected and easily predicted that no matter what, she won't get scared. But if so, then really no reason to leave gun behind.
Or B: cause she had no or not enough reasons to instantly associate the sound or even somebody's obvious presence there with danger.

Most people would exit the building and call cops... if what they heard was scary, alarming and easily associated with something wrong or bad going on.
I doubt that "most people", hearing some sounds in big building, which theoretically should be empty, but was a centre of multiple activities for multiple people, especially not being the owner (or there regularily at that time of day/week) would immediately assume that something bad is going on + not considering the place as being interesting for potential burglars or vandals.

Yes, we know that her husband was concerned enough to insist on her carrying a gun for self protection. But it sounds for me like he was just cautious in general, cause she was getting out at night and alone - not like he was seriously considering that she might be in danger and may actually need to that gun to fight for her life someday.

We don't know what she heard and if it was just a suspicious sound or something that could be easily associated with a person causing the sound. Might be something like opened window, malfunctioning electricity or whatever, followed by "Is anyone there? Please come and help me, I have an issue with..." to lure her to the exact location where surveillance wasnt recording.

Yes, that could be how it happened, but maybe she thought one of her class members had arrived and she went to see, not expecting anyone else to be around?
But it doesn't matter what she thought.

The point is, she could have left the building. If her being killed hinged on her decision to investigate what she heard, when she could just as easily have went back to her car, it is logical to conclude that this was not a planned killing.

IMO, it is irrational to believe that someone would go to the effort of carrying out an elaborate murder plan that would hinge on an arbitrary, unpredictable action on the part of the victim.

It would be like sabotaging someone's car with a bomb that would only go off if the driver chose to tune the radio by turning the knob counterclockwise while turning the knob clockwise would diffuse the bomb.

The driver might not even listen to the radio, period—just like Missy might not have entered the building alone. When you really look into the chain of events that culminated in Missy's being killed—a chain of events that could have been disrupted in a number of ways—the planned-killing theory because utterly implausible.

BBM:But again we don't know how far she was from the perp when this happened. Did the perp look for her as the perp heard her or saw her truck possibly enter the parking lot. What I mean specifically is once she entered from the main doors did the perp wait for her to come to the area the perp was, the perp could have left. I don't think Missy would put herself in harms way deliberately as in getting the perp out of the church so she would likely not go to the perp if she did hear something unatural when she looked over. More likely the perp came at her, again we don't know how far apart they were.

How would they get in the building? Wouldn't their car be parked outside?
Possibly Missy left the front door unlocked but that's probably unlikely, IDK maybe she did for students to arrive. That would be risky though IMO at that time of morning. They would probably park outside you're right. I just don't see Missy leaving that door unlocked. Since the rain had stopped I'm sure the perp would have heard her vehicle enter the parking lot or at least seen lights outside. The actions of this perp are baffling.

And they certainly wouldn't have been causing visible damage to the interior, which could have been seen by MB and alert her to get out of there.
THAT is one of the things, I don't understand at all (all day long ;) )! Missy could have returned to the entry and to her car, when she saw some demolition or broken glass. Missy could have called 911. Missy could have taken her gun. Missy could have left the parking lot, then call 911.
If she had a bad feeling before, to be stalked in some way, and her husband advised her to have a gun because of her early morning classes - why didn't she feel enough fear this morning?

BBM:But again we don't know how far she was from the perp when this happened. Did the perp look for her as the perp heard her or saw her truck possibly enter the parking lot. What I mean specifically is once she entered from the main doors did the perp wait for her to come to the area the perp was, the perp could have left. I don't think Missy would put herself in harms way deliberately as in getting the perp out of the church so she would likely not go to the perp if she did hear something unatural when she looked over. More likely the perp came at her, again we don't know how far apart they were.
Except we know that what you're saying isn't true. We know from the video and the podiatrist's testimony that Missy did turn and go towards whatever noise she heard. We can reasonably assume that the noise was made by the perp, which means that Missy approached the perp.

I'm not sure whether the distance she had to go mattered, but the sister-in-law seemed certain that Missy was killed in the NW corner of the church, so it's reasonable to suppose that the perp was in that general area doing whatever he was doing.

My opinion: Missy entered the building, Killer called to her, Missy turned and went towards them, perhaps recognizing their voice. I think the Killer knew where the cameras were and killed Missy off camera because it was personal and they wanted to make sure Missy knew why and who was killing her but didn’t want the cameras to identify them.

My opinion: Missy entered the building, Killer called to her, Missy turned and went towards them, perhaps recognizing their voice. I think the Killer knew where the cameras were and killed Missy off camera because it was personal and they wanted to make sure Missy knew why and who was killing her but didn’t want the cameras to identify them.
You're free to speculate, but the evidence doesn't support that theory, in my opinion.

If I unlocked a dark church with no other cars apparent to me on a stormy night and someone called my name, I would freak out! I'd be out of there like a cartoon character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB