TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The bulkiness of the POLICE uniform may also have helped cover up the suspect's true weight. This person may not be as heavyset as we think they are. There are some illustrations and work done by others who analyzed the video that think this person may be thinner than what the uniform shows.

But we have no way of knowing whether or not the suspect in the POLICE uniform knew about the surveillance inside and outside the church. I think this person did know about them and because of that, it puts a different perspective in how you view the Creekside Church video when looking at it from that perspective.

The bulkiness of the POLICE uniform may also have helped cover up the suspect's true weight. This person may not be as heavyset as we think they are. There are some illustrations and work done by others who analyzed the video that think this person may be thinner than what the uniform shows.

But we have no way of knowing whether or not the suspect in the POLICE uniform knew about the surveillance inside and outside the church. I think this person did know about them and because of that, it puts a different perspective in how you view the Creekside Church video when looking at it from that perspective.
I tend to think they did, hence why they went to such lengths to cover up everything

I have been thinking about something.

There is the footage of the car in the sporting goods parking lot giving what some have tough looks like a signal, by flashing its lights. It is at 1:10 or so.

I find it highly unlikely that the car was signaling anyone that close to them, in the rain.

So, if this was a signal, and it was for someone involved in Missy's murder, could it have been being watched live from the camera it appeared on? If so, who would have access to it?

FWIW, I don't think the car is signaling anyone, but watching and waiting for a signal live would be mighty clever.

There is the footage of the car in the sporting goods parking lot giving what some have tough looks like a signal, by flashing its lights. It is at 1:10 or so.

I find it highly unlikely that the car was signaling anyone that close to them, in the rain.

So, if this was a signal, and it was for someone involved in Missy's murder, could it have been being watched live from the camera it appeared on? If so, who would have access to it?

FWIW, I don't think the car is signaling anyone, but watching and waiting for a signal live would be mighty clever.

This subject has been discussed over and over and over on this thread.
I would suggest watching Gray Hughes video, which is approved.
The car is turning its lights off as it makes the turn into the parking lot.
It is a possibility that this vehicle is the murderer and he was actually looking to do a burglary here, but found other cars parked in the back parking lot, so he left and went to the church. There is a gunshop at this building, a good place to be disguised as a police officer if a security guard showed up.
Doesn't fit with the theories of some people.

This subject has been discussed over and over and over on this thread.
I would suggest watching Gray Hughes video, which is approved.
The car is turning its lights off as it makes the turn into the parking lot.
It is a possibility that this vehicle is the murderer and he was actually looking to do a burglary here, but found other cars parked in the back parking lot, so he left and went to the church. There is a gunshop at this building, a good place to be disguised as a police officer if a security guard showed up.
Doesn't fit with the theories of some people.

I still fully believe Missy was targeted and her death was planned.

This, however, actually makes a bit of sense if the killing was not planned.

I can bite on the idea that the person in SWAT attire was spooked by the cars at the sporting goods store, went to the church to waste some time and lazily smash things out of boredom, then stumbled across Missy.

The SWAT attire (among other things but as the focus of this topic) has always been a major hangup for me, as I could not wrap my head around the fact that someone was dressed like that at 4 in the morning not intending to be in a scuffle, have their identity concealed, and keep forensics off. It does make a little more sense if the sporting goods store was the original target,

I can bite on the idea that the person in SWAT attire was spooked by the cars at the sporting goods store, went to the church to waste some time and lazily smash things out of boredom, then stumbled across Missy.

The SWAT attire (among other things but as the focus of this topic) has always been a major hangup for me, as I could not wrap my head around the fact that someone was dressed like that at 4 in the morning not intending to be in a scuffle, have their identity concealed, and keep forensics off. It does make a little more sense if the sporting goods store was the original target,
Agreed. But, IMO, I do not see a burglar interested in a gun store settling for a church. Why take the chance?

Could be but why not just run away when he heard her? He was already in gear. Why brutally murder her?

It’s hard for me to think that this was targeted and planned. If it was, it all sounds to me like the dumbest plan ever.
—”I want to kill Missy so I’m going to get to the church early, break in, and wander around dressed like a SWAT team member. Then when she gets here I will get her. This will increase the chances of me being seen either by security camera, or someone who shows up legitimately at the church, or one of Missy’s students who shows up early. It will increase the chances of leaving evidence at the scene inside the church.” or “I could wait in my car in the parking lot for her. When she drives in I can quickly determine if others are around, approach her car as she’s getting out and shoot her. A lot of blood and evidence gets washed away by the rain”
Now some will argue that, if it’s such a dumb plan, why has the killer not been arrested yet? It was a dumb plan followed by dumb luck, but if it was planned it was a still dumb plan.
That’s why I think it was a strange random crime. Missy was killed because she walked in on this bizarre play-acting skit, and the SWAT guy panicked and killed her.
The randomness and strangeness is why it hasn’t been solved. Whatever the motive was for the SWAT guy to be doing this is the key. Was it role playing, was it vandalism, was it a bungled burglary, was it madness?
LE has looked at everything and everybody, trying to make sense of it. But it doesn’t make sense, and that’s the problem.

Agreed. But, IMO, I do not see a burglar interested in a gun store settling for a church. Why take the chance?

Could be but why not just run away when he heard her? He was already in gear. Why brutally murder her?

I agree with both of you.

The idea that she was not targeted seems very forced, and a lot of holes that get filled in with “for some reason” and not a lot of logic in some areas.

Two logical points I have heard for her not being targeted:

1. The killer didn’t take anything that could tie it back to them because he was planning to rob the church and didn’t want anything that could it back to them being there. (It can easily be argued they were simply there just to kill Missy).

2. The ridiculous SWAT gear may have been to rob the sporting goods store. They DO sell stuff like that at the store, and the killer does appear to be wasting time in the church with lazy vandalism efforts. (I personally feel the gear was to keep off forensics, conceal identity, add a layer of protection from attacks, and throw chaos and confusion. I also feel like the killer was wasting time, seeing where Missy may have been set up or was going to be, inspecting rooms for unexpected people and best places to surprise attack her. Also forced their way inside the building through the kitchen, the last place Missy would be entering and the best place use if they did not know how she would be enterinf the building)

Other than the fact that any murder is 'brutal" in a way because it ends someone's life, we have no indication that this murder was particularly "brutal." Whoever this was, he shot her, and who knows why. Did he intend to kill her? Was he cornered accidentally (or psychologically cornered) and felt forced to shoot a few shots that not only allowed his escape but also caused her death? Was there any interaction at all between the 2 other than the shots? Unfortunately all we really know for sure about the killing is that she was shot, and apparently somewhere quite a long ways from the door where she entered.

It’s hard for me to think that this was targeted and planned. If it was, it all sounds to me like the dumbest plan ever.
—”I want to kill Missy so I’m going to get to the church early, break in, and wander around dressed like a SWAT team member. Then when she gets here I will get her. This will increase the chances of me being seen either by security camera, or someone who shows up legitimately at the church, or one of Missy’s students who shows up early. It will increase the chances of leaving evidence at the scene inside the church.” or “I could wait in my car in the parking lot for her. When she drives in I can quickly determine if others are around, approach her car as she’s getting out and shoot her. A lot of blood and evidence gets washed away by the rain”
Now some will argue that, if it’s such a dumb plan, why has the killer not been arrested yet? It was a dumb plan followed by dumb luck, but if it was planned it was a still dumb plan.
That’s why I think it was a strange random crime. Missy was killed because she walked in on this bizarre play-acting skit, and the SWAT guy panicked and killed her.
The randomness and strangeness is why it hasn’t been solved. Whatever the motive was for the SWAT guy to be doing this is the key. Was it role playing, was it vandalism, was it a bungled burglary, was it madness?
LE has looked at everything and everybody, trying to make sense of it. But it doesn’t make sense, and that’s the problem.
I have a couple of possible explanations for why Missy was not attacked in the parking lot.

I agree that plan would be much more efficient and less riskier in some aspects.

I do think that there are a few reasons it was not the plan:

1. It would have made it very obvious that Missy was targeted, and this case would have had no question about that. It would change the outlook, and give really good reasons to place magnifying glasses on anyone who may have potentially been involved.

2. Missy had a gun in the car. Shootings can not only be inaccurate on regular conditions, but she also had some degree of protection and bullet deflection by sitting inside her truck. If she was outside the truck (be it directly outside of the truck or walking into the building to be ambused), now shes can become a moving target, running frantically, the last thing any shooter would want, no matter how skilled. If she was shot inside or outside of the truck, there is still the small chance she would survive, get her gun out, and return fire, again, not ideal. I think the killer's plan was to see where she would be coming in and/or if she had a place to set up, then attack her as a surprise. Missy's hands may have been full with workout equipment and it highly reduces the chance of her taking a gun into a church at 4am in workout attire.

3. Missy's daughters'. I think the killer may have had inside knowledge about many of Missy's morning routine, including if her daughters would be attending with her. If the killer had positive conformation that the girls were not going to attend with Missy (but we all know plans change on a whim, especially with teenagers), they may have still been reluctant to attack her in the open and cause one of the girls to be collateral damage. The killer seemed to have a quick way in and quick way out, basically vanishing after they murdered Missy. Could this have been done with extra caution, physically confirming Missy was alone so that the girls were not harmed? Visually confirmed Missy was alone, but also had a quick getaway if she was not?

Other than the fact that any murder is 'brutal" in a way because it ends someone's life, we have no indication that this murder was particularly "brutal." Whoever this was, he shot her, and who knows why. Did he intend to kill her? Was he cornered accidentally (or psychologically cornered) and felt forced to shoot a few shots that not only allowed his escape but also caused her death? Was there any interaction at all between the 2 other than the shots? Unfortunately all we really know for sure about the killing is that she was shot, and apparently somewhere quite a long ways from the door where she entered.
Yes, all murder is brutal. Let me be more particular, Missy's murder was particularly violent. Several wounds. Now unsure if gunshots or puncture wounds.

ETA: My questions are not meant to be sarcastic. I am curious as to why if this was a random cosplay person, why he/she thought stabbing her several times to death was better than running off since they were in disguise. I can see maybe hitting her once to the ground so they can run away. But killing her and risking the chance of life in prison/ death penalty seems extreme for someone that broke in to cosplay. Maybe if this person was a prominent member of the community and potentially being discovered and outed by Missy would be too humiliating? I am stuck on how violent the murder was.

Last edited:
Why cosplay as a police officer in a church out of all places? Why in a day of torrential rain? What weird and bad luck they would unknowingly pick a church to cosplay in that just happened to host a 5am exercise class. Why the need to violently murder instead of run out once noise was heard? Police would be called anyways with a murder. Not at all saying it can't be circumstantial but what an ill-fated sequence of events.

3. Missy's daughters'. I think the killer may have had inside knowledge about many of Missy's morning routine, including if her daughters would be attending with her. If the killer had positive conformation that the girls were not going to attend with Missy (but we all know plans change on a whim, especially with teenagers

This means that a known person who had frequent knowledge of the household comings and goings or an actual member of the family, inside knowledge of "many of Missy's morning routine".

You have posted before, recently, that you think the killer had inside knowledge and you asked if it was known who the babysitter was that morning, someone who could have then told others that Missy was going to the church alone.

The family/relatives have been cleared and the rumor was not allowed to be discussed. Since we have previously known who helped take care of the children and babysat, I believe the suggestion could lead to sleuthing and accusing persons that are off limits. MOO
The killer could not have confirmed Missy was alone, the killer could not know who else was in the parked truck and I don't think he saw her as she entered at the front doors. He also would not have known if anyone was in the lobby. She had to walk down a hallway to encounter the killer. Not all of the entry doors were in view of the hallway Missy walked down.MOO

The killer seemed to have a quick way in and quick way out, basically vanishing after they murdered Missy. Could this have been done with extra caution, physically confirming Missy was alone so that the girls were not harmed? Visually confirmed Missy was alone, but also had a quick getaway if she was not?

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with this case but do remember when it first happened.

Was it a bizarre burglary gone wrong?

That last right turn out of the exit seemed to normal like someone had driven out that exit numerous times. They knew they were turning right, turned to vehicle to the right, yet they put the right signal on at the last minute as if they do it all the time out of habit. But there wasn't any need to use that signal at that time when there were no other vehicles. Odd. A small tell in my opinion.

At this point in time with over 7 years gone by and no arrest or publicly named POI/suspect I'm thinking it is likely one of two situations.
1. A cosplay or vandal who runs into Missy just as she enters the hallway and uses what he has available to try to subdue her and make an escape. This would likely be a stranger and therefore very difficult for LE to solve.
2. It was a targeted killing BUT not by someone Missy knew. That is, this was a stalker that knew of Missy but Missy didn't necessarily know them. In this instance if LE is looking at her KNOWN associates it will be almost as difficult to solve as a stranger killing. (IOW, someone who saw her at another boot camp session or followed her FB page.)

Apparently the forensic evidence here is very thin. Maybe the only way is someone calling in a tip. I can't believe someone hasn't seen that gear before. But who knows, maybe a tip was called in and it was poorly documented or misfiled or misunderstood. It's happened before like in the Tara Grinstead case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back