TX - Texas inmate Arcade Comeaux escapes from prison 11/30/09

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<snip>

TDCJ spokesman Jason Clark said Michael Price, who has served as a correctional officer for more than six years, is accused of reckless endangerment for not searching Comeaux for a weapon at the Estelles prison unit.

more here

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/091210-arcade-comeaux-prison

I guess this is a start to keeping monsters like Comeaux from escaping.

I would also like to hear about any add'l procedures TDCJ may implement for checks & balances....obviously they had procedures for moving Comeaux that did not work -- and how he got the gun to begin with.

Prison Escape Leads To More Fallout

Estelle Unit Warden, Assistant Warden To Retire

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - Four more Texas Department of Criminal Justice employees have lost their jobs after an inmate escaped during a transfer, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Arcade Comeaux Jr. was being transferred from the Estelle Unit in Huntsville to a Beaumont prison on Nov. 30. Texas Department of Criminal Justice officials said he had a gun, which he said he got with the help of a prison nurse and senior corrections officer. He took the guards transferring him hostage in Montgomery County and escaped on foot in the Baytown area.
TDCJ officials said the warden and assistant warden of the Estelle Unit have decided to retire and two others have started the mediation process after being recommended for dismissal.

Officials said Senior Warden Alfonso Castillo and Assistant Warden Thomas Hunt failed to ensure that agency policy was complied with in regards to the offender property policy, administrative segregation plan and employee search procedures.
Major of Correctional Officers Thomas L. Hutt was charged with violating agency policies and procedures. He was recommended for dismissal and elected to initiate the mediation process. Paperwork was sent to him on Tuesday and he has until Jan. 27 to respond.

Correctional Officer David Delaney was charged with trafficking and trading any contraband. He admitted to delivering notes and contraband to offenders from other offenders, officials said. He was recommended for dismissal and has elected to initiate the mediation process, which has been scheduled for Jan. 20.
Three officers at the Estelle Unit were fired in December. The two guards who were transferring Comeaux turned in their retirement paperwork while prison officials were in the process of terminating them.

more here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34830345/ns/local_news-houston_tx/

Yep - TX prison systems are corrupt...but the guys at the top are allowed to leave with their retirement. :mad:

Texas Mist--The link isn't working but I'm curious. What sort of sanction did the nurse receive?

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that "mediation and retirement" and not the actions which spring to mind when one aids a dangerous inmate in an escape? Thank God the man didn't harm any innocent citizen while he was on the run. But think of the cost the Texas taxpayer. Those were some pretty hairy days.

Retirement...hmmm. I lived in Texas for 14 years and spent every childhood summer there. It doesn't sound like anyone has broken up the GOB's network yet. Runs deep.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back