Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Texas Monthly: “[Sgt. Rachel Kading] said they also couldn’t determine for sure whether Tom had died by suicide. They did say they had sent Tom’s phone to a lab, where technicians had discovered that [...] on Thanksgiving eve, while Tom was with Christian and Kaleb King, he had used his phone’s internet browser to search ‘suicide hotlines.’ But there was no evidence that Tom had called any of the numbers from his phone.” (BBM)
Tom Brown’s Body, Chapter 7: The Wake

I’m leaning more and more towards someone other than Tom doing the search on Tom’s phone.

And if so, I also believe either that very person or someone with the knowledge that the search been done on Tom’s phone earlier that evening is involved in his death, IMO.

I really, really hope this was not premeditated :(.
It should have read:
“... that the search *had been done on ....”

I should have known better: it took me almost an hour to write the post because I kept falling asleep ... :oops:.

I always wonder why everyone who has been in contact with Lewis and describes interactions with him, he denies the interactions occurred or says they were misunderstood. Penny has three interactions with him: the original confrontation Tom had at the movie theater, the street-level picture of Tom at Fronk's, and one other I can't recall off the top of my head. Then Christian's parents interaction at the restaurant the Lewis denies to Skip later on. Lewis is the most misunderstood person in this story. Everyone else remembers meetings or discussions with him that he later denies.

According to Texas Monthly: “[Sgt. Rachel Kading] said they also couldn’t determine for sure whether Tom had died by suicide. They did say they had sent Tom’s phone to a lab, where technicians had discovered that [...] on Thanksgiving eve, while Tom was with Christian and Kaleb King, he had used his phone’s internet browser to search ‘suicide hotlines.’ But there was no evidence that Tom had called any of the numbers from his phone.” (BBM)
Tom Brown’s Body, Chapter 7: The Wake

I’m leaning more and more towards someone other than Tom doing the search on Tom’s phone.

And if so, I also believe either that very person or someone with the knowledge that the search been done on Tom’s phone earlier that evening is involved in his death, IMO.

I really, really hope this was not premeditated :(.

Re: the veracity of the claim that an internet browser search for 'suicide hotlines' was done: by Tom, on Tom's phone, and at 9:45 pm

Imo Texas Monthly and/or Rachel Kading and/or the AG investigators and/or those at the AG meeting made some "assumptions based on presumptions" (logic leaps) when they reported that: "technicians discovered that [...] on Thanksgiving eve, while Tom was with Christian and Kaleb King, he had used his phone's internet browser to search 'suicide hotlines'."

First, how would they (the "technicians" - or even "investigators") have known who Tom was with? There's no way they could possibly have known this. They made assumptions based on presumptions - that (among other things) the time of the search could be (and had been) established as fact.

Second, how would they (the "technicians") know that "he" was actually Tom - and/or that "he" had used "his" (Tom's) phone's internet browser..."? Again, there's no way they could possibly know this for a fact. They made assumptions based on presumptions - that (among other things) the time of the search could be (and had been) established as fact.

Given that Canadian, TX is in CST...
and that TB disappeared approx 3 wks after a fall time change...
and that the phone was found in October of the following year (just before a fall time change)...
and that the lab was very likely located in EST...
and that there was (and still is) some doubt as to whether the phone that was found was actually Tom's phone...

And given the improbable pristine condition of the phone when found...
and that the area where the phone was found had previously been searched...
and that the grass where the phone was found had just recently been cut...
and that the phone was found just seven minutes into the search...
and that the color of the phone might have been incorrect (gold or rose gold?)..

And given that to this day no one in Tom's family has ever actually seen the phone in person...

I just don't see how anybody with a straight face can say, with any certainty - and definitely not 'for a fact' - that TB did a search for 'suicide hotline' on his phone while he was with Christian and Kaleb.

I admit that I don't know much about digital or smart phone forensics, and that I don't know whether smart phone and/or smart phone time data would be referenced against the smart phone's own hardware/software or against some big tech or government server(s) or clouds in the sky, but IF the internet browser search occurred at 7:45 pm (instead of the reported 9:45 pm) it would have been done prior to when Tom met up with Christian and Kaleb. The only person Tom was with at that time was MC

Jmo

My big issue with the internet search (besides if it was actually Tom who did it) is this --- everyone that he was with has said that he was fine and nothing was out of the ordinary. He was laughing, happy, making plans, etc.

IF Tom was doing internet searches for a suicide hotline, wouldn't his friends --- those who are with him, and interacting with him -- have an idea that was happening? Or at least know he was doing something on the internet. No one has made any claim that Tom was doing anything other than hanging out with his friends, laughing and making plans.

It wasn't a body. Skull and some bones.
(With no indication of gun shots in the skull. What we can surmise is that TB didn't run off and he is deceased.

That is true. My point was we don't even have proof of death in Michael Chambers case, so therefore no arrests.

I always wonder why everyone who has been in contact with Lewis and describes interactions with him, he denies the interactions occurred or says they were misunderstood. Penny has three interactions with him: the original confrontation Tom had at the movie theater, the street-level picture of Tom at Fronk's, and one other I can't recall off the top of my head. Then Christian's parents interaction at the restaurant the Lewis denies to Skip later on. Lewis is the most misunderstood person in this story. Everyone else remembers meetings or discussions with him that he later denies.

Cannot like this post enough! If Lewis was a criminal being interrogated be LE.....who would believe him? Everyone is lying but me!

Right? Poor Nathan :rolleyes:!

Nah :). Thank goodness he is no longer in law enforcement, period, IMO:
Lewis insisted that he had never abused his power and that he certainly had not mistreated Tom. He told me that after the movie theater incident, he ran across Tom at a Rotary Club meeting, ‘He was doing a public speaking event for 4H, he went in there and gave a public speaking deal in the Rotary Club one day. And he saw me in the Rotary Club and he approaches me, and he says, “Man, I'm sorry for, for that night.” And he told me that he told his mother a lie. He said, “Man, I fibbed to my mother” because he, he told his mother that, that I was brute, cussed at him, pulled a gun, he said all kinds of stuff to his mom. And he said, “Man, I'm sorry for doing all that stuff,” and I said, “Thomas, the past is the past, man, don't worry about it. Just always tell the truth.” And that's all I told him.’” (BBM) [transcript]
Tom Brown’s Body, Chapter 2: Tom’s Loop

People also lie about him all the time :rolleyes:!
Here, it appears someone else filed a rather similar complaint, and just like when Penny did on Thomas’ behalf, 31st District Attorney, Franklin McDonough, declined to file charges due to lack of lack of probable cause:
“According to responsive documents from DPS, Nathan Lewis was being investigated for allegations alleging that while in his official capacity, he threatened a juvenile probations officer over a recent case the officer was involved in.

[...]

Responsive documents include McDonough’s October 1 letter to the Texas Rangers. In the letter, McDonough said his office rejected the file for insufficient evidence to prove probable cause that the offenses of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Tampering with a Witness, or Official Oppression were committed as alleged.” (BBM)
Investigation into Hemphill County Sheriff closed, 31st District Attorney says

Of course, he never said he suspected Tom of being gay or having run away ... :rolleyes::
“According to Klein, Lewis had already made up his mind about what had happened to Tom. “He said, ‘I think he’s gay. I think he has a fetish of wearing adult diapers and peeing in them.’ He sat there for thirty minutes and tried to convince me that Tom had run away, that he’d run away from life in Canadian.”
Lewis denied ever characterizing Tom this way.” (BBM)
Tom Brown’s Body, Chapter 3: “Evil Has Come to Canadian, Texas”

And he even calls Penny a liar :mad::
“According to Lewis, a few weeks after Tom's disappearance, Penny had done something he found peculiar. She had texted Caleb King'smother, Robin, and asked if Kaleb or his friends knew the four digit password to Tom's iPhone.

‘The way that that went down was Robin King called us at the office and came by and gave us a copy or screenshots, printed them out, of Penny asking her for the passcode. Robin said, “I don't, I don't know the passcode.” And Penny says, “Hey, will you ask Kaleb to try to find the passcode for me? Ask him, have him ask his friends.” “What would you need a passcode for? You don't need a passcode unless you have a phone.”

So why would she want to know the password?

“Clapp contacted me and asked me if I had the four digit four digit passcode to Thomas's phone.” This is Penny.

She told me she had received a call from Brent Clapp, Lewis's chief deputy.

[...]

Robin King wouldn't talk to me for this story, but I emailed Clapp and asked what he remembered. He wrote that he had never asked Penny for the passcode.

[...]

Either Clapp or Penny, of course, could have easily confused the details of a conversation that took place nearly four years ago. But Lewis told me he was convinced Penny was not telling the truth.

“All right. For the hundredth time, explain the passcode question. She says that ...” “She’s a liar!” “She says that your chief deputy Clapp called her to ask for Tom's passcode to his cell phone.” (BBM) [transcript]
Tom Brown’s Body, Chapter 5: Unusual Suspects

ETA: Maybe Lewis had an associate call Penny, pretending to be then-Chief-Deputy Clapp, IMO.

Last edited:
Finally, here, Lewis is either outright lying (to Skip), or he fails to understand why he was reprimanded by TECOL (because, in part, and according to TECOL, he lied to them):

“Lewis said he and the other deputies had actually completed their training hours but that he had simply submitted the reports incorrectly.”
Tom Brown’s Body, Chapter 8: The Remains

The document found at the link does a good job of explaining what really happened (if you are short on time, go to “Conclusion,” which starts on the sixth to the last page):
https://www.scribd.com/document/433776199/Nathan-Lewis-Case-Docs

Further, “[Then] Chief Deputy Brent Clapp spoke to TCOLE, during its investigation of whether the sheriff had turned in phony training reports.

In the summary of the TCOLE report, the investigating officers said, ‘Clapp said it wasn't outside the realm of Lewis fabricating a document because he had manufactured a supplement for a missing person a year and half after it happened.’

Here is what Clapp had to say when TCOLE investigators asked why Sheriff Lewis might fabricate the training records:

‘Because we've been through the Tom Brown mess ... on that deal he manufactured a supplement a year and half after the fact,’ Clapp said. ‘Same deal. When you write reports a year and after because why? Because we're getting ready to turn it all over to the attorney general and I go to him and say you've got two pages in this thing. I've got 26. You need to catch up some supplements. You need to do something. Where is your documentation? ...The attorney generals came in and they wanted to know about a video that did or did not exist. It was a huge issue. [surveillance videos from] Dollar General and Fronk. And he came up with a report on that a year and half after the fact.’

A second deputy also discussed the Dollar General surveillance video with a TCOLE investigator:

Nathan always said there was never a video,’ the deputy said. ‘Well, then after the attorney general came down to talk to me about the whole situation he said something one day in his office. He said whenever I looked at the video from the Dollar General there wasn't anything on there, so I threw it away.’

So, was the surveillance video viewed and discarded?

The sheriff said there was simply nothing on it.

As to the documentation of Thomas's investigation, though memory may be imperfect a year and a half after the fact, there is no indication the report is inaccurate.

[...]

ABC 7 reached out to TCOLE to see if the deputies' statements about the reconstructed report would warrant a new investigation.

We received this response: ‘If our investigators come across a separate crime that falls outside of our purview during the course of an investigation, we will turn it over to the appropriate state or local law enforcement agency. In this situation, the investigators had knowledge that another law enforcement agency was looking into the missing person situation.’”
TCOLE investigation of reveals new information about Thomas Brown case

The article above includes the “raw” TCOLE interviews with then-Chief-Deputy Clapp and Lewis. The men were interviewed one after another in the morning of August 21st, 2019. That afternoon, they both would also attend an invitation-only meeting in Pampa, called by OAG Investigators Kading and Smyth. I’ve always found the timing interesting.

In regard to "timing", I posted the following similar thoughts at another area. What could be the reason that the Durango was not spotted between the hours of 1 am something and 5 am something? Could it be that the killers knew that there would be searches in and around town so they must lay low for a while? Probably.

What could be the reason that the Durango suddenly re-appeared in the area of Alexander's Deli at 5:20am and 5:22am (another account says 5:40am and 5:42am)? This appearance on CCTV was "coincidentally" at nearly the precise time that the "coast was clear" as Gregory was ending his shift and returning Tucker home. Could it be the reason may have been to drop off an accomplice at or near their home before sunrise? Possibly, maybe even probably.

Then, only minutes later the Durango was abandoned at the location where it was found only 1/4 mile from a residential area on the north end of town. Could the reason be that the area is close to the residence of the driver; where they could have a short walk home before sunrise? Yes, no doubt. The perfect location to abandon the vehicle then get home rather quickly.

No killer would leave themselves exposed to potential public view by walking a long distance [mile(s)] across town after or near sunrise when people around the city were beginning to stir. Another factor is that it was 34 degrees in Canadian that morning. All actions occur for a reason.

Just to be clear, isn't Gregory the deputy and Tucker is the brother of Tom? If I'm wrong, forgive me, but why would there be "shannanigans" when Tom's bro was out till 4 and with Gregory.

Yes. Gregory is the deputy and Tucker is Tom's brother.
Thank you!

But if the 2 of them were out until 4:00am, are you thinking that whatever happened to Tom happened later than 4am.? Or it happened before and they transported the body after 4? Didn't the deputy discover Tom's bones several years later?

If his body was transported, what did they use? TB's Durango didn't give up any clues for that scenario.

Thank you!

But if the 2 of them were out until 4:00am, are you thinking that whatever happened to Tom happened later than 4am.? Or it happened before and they transported the body after 4? Didn't the deputy discover Tom's bones several years later?

If his body was transported, what did they use? TB's Durango didn't give up any clues for that scenario.

I wasn't the person who brought up the Durango sightings, but I will throw my two cents in.

I think whatever happened, happened before 2am. I think *someone* not involved with looking for Thomas that night was busy disposing of his body and Durango while everyone else looked. I do not think Tom was moved in his Durango but in a truck possibly.

*edited to add: I think its possible Thomas was put in the back of a truck because of his size. I think it would be somewhat easy to hide a body, in the back of a truck if they had a bed cover over the bed (which are very common up here).

I wasn't the person who brought up the Durango sightings, but I will throw my two cents in.

I think whatever happened, happened before 2am. I think *someone* not involved with looking for Thomas that night was busy disposing of his body and Durango while everyone else looked. I do not think Tom was moved in his Durango but in a truck possibly.

*edited to add: I think its possible Thomas was put in the back of a truck because of his size. I think it would be somewhat easy to hide a body, in the back of a truck if they had a bed cover over the bed (which are very common up here).
I know he played football but just how big was? Height and weight?
Could he have been killed at the spot where he was eventually found? If so, was his Durango driven from there and parked where it was found?

If that were the case, his size wouldn't matter much. And it could have been accomplished by one person.

Just thinking aloud.

I know he played football but just how big was? Height and weight?
Could he have been killed at the spot where he was eventually found? If so, was his Durango driven from there and parked where it was found?

If that were the case, his size wouldn't matter much. And it could have been accomplished by one person.

Just thinking aloud.
According to this Dateline Tweet, Thomas was 6 ft and 195 lb. I think its possible he was killed close to where he was found - but if that was the case, why move his Durango to somewhere it was for sure to be found quickly? Maybe to 'throw off' any searches at Lake Marvin, I guess.

https://twitter.com/datelinenbc/status/1067244871231131648

Thank you!

Just speculating on what I believe is the most logical scenario based on the circumstances and "publicly" known evidence. I actually don't have any suspicion regarding who did it or their motive. However, I believe there is significant indications that others are covering. I think Tom was severely injured and incapacitated at or before midnight. I don't know what time he actually died. Possibly 30 min-1 hr later, but there was no attempt by anybody to seek medical attention to address his injury. The Durango was on CCTV at 1:15am or 1:45am (depending on which account is accurate), then not seen again until well after 5:00am. Shortly after the 1 something sighting the body was moved to the Lake Marvin area. At some point the killers dispersed items including books, gun case/holster, gun, backpack/computer, etc. then waited at some location remote from town for several hours until the searches subsided; then slipped back into town at precisely the "right moment" to drop accomplice(s) off and abandon the Durango just prior to sunrise and at HCSO shift change time. Two round trips to Lake Marvin area (or equivalent thereof) accounts for the 1/4 tank of fuel that was used in the Durango.

....... but if that was the case, why move his Durango to somewhere it was for sure to be found quickly? Maybe to 'throw off' any searches at Lake Marvin, I guess.

https://twitter.com/datelinenbc/status/1067244871231131648

If the killers had brought along another vehicle, the Durango would have been abandoned in a more remote location. But they didn't. The killers needed the Durango in order to get back to town and get home before sunrise. Under the circumstances there could not have been a better place to drop the Durango inconspicuously yet close enough to their residence.

If the killers had brought along another vehicle, the Durango would have been abandoned in a more remote location. But they didn't. The killers needed the Durango in order to get back to town and get home before sunrise. Under the circumstances there could not have been a better place to drop the Durango inconspicuously yet close enough to their residence.
Or close enough to where they had left their own car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste