TX TX - Tyler, near I-20 & FM14, Blk/mixed, likely Male 20-70, UP17281, skeletonised, Nov'17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Bohemian

Reaction score
HUMAN REMAINS FOUND NEAR I-20 IN SMITH COUNTY
cbs18.tv
Author: Kris Kirst
Published: 5:15 PM CST November 13, 2017

‘A set of human remains was found in Smith County just off Interstate 20, according to Sheriff Larry Smith.

The 911 call came in at 8 p.m. on Nov. 11 about a human skull located near Interstate 20 and Farm-to-Market Road 14 in Smith County.

Deputies responded and secured the scene, and did uncover what are believed to be human remains.

An additional search was conducted on Nov. 12 with the help of the ALERT academy, but authorities did not comment on whether any further evidence was retrieved.

The remains were taken to the Southwest Institute of Forensic Science in Dallas for identification.’

Read more at:

http://www.cbs19.tv/mobile/article/news/human-remains-found-near-i-20-in-smith-county/501-491486561

I posted about this in an old thread where I have a few links to other bodies found along I-20. Lot of death here in East Texas along that particular stretch of road.

NamUs UP # 17281
Case number 17-20239

Date found November 12, 2017 (all articles state skull found November 11)

Minimum age: 37 years
Maximum age: 55 years
Race: Black/African American
Sex: Unsure

Estimated postmortem interval: 5 Years

Zip code: 15706

Circumstances
Skull found by hunters in heavily wooded area. No other bones recovered.

Appears to be African-American with mixed ancestry. The skull also appears to have both male and female characteristics, but more likely to be male.

Fingerprints Status: not available
Dental Status: available and entered
DNA Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/17281

This Namus case was recently updated & has a revised age range of 20-70. Though listed as Male it still also contains the comment that it is possibly either male or female - surely by having the main listing as male, anyone searching for a missing female would miss this potential match?

This Namus case was recently updated & has a revised age range of 20-70. Though listed as Male it still also contains the comment that it is possibly either male or female - surely by having the main listing as male, anyone searching for a missing female would miss this potential match?
Mitchell Buchanan, black male aged 70, went missing in this very area in 2006. He was my first thought, but the article I saw originally read said age was estimated at 45-55, or something similar, so I figured that ruled him out. I'm guessing this is him. I wonder if anyone has reached out to his family members for possible dental records?

Mitchell Buchanan, black male aged 70, went missing in this very area in 2006. He was my first thought, but the article I saw originally read said age was estimated at 45-55, or something similar, so I figured that ruled him out. I'm guessing this is him. I wonder if anyone has reached out to his family members for possible dental records?
Have you contacted NamUs, an LE investigator or someone at the ME's office? I suspect they'd be interested in hearing about Mr. Buchanan. I think you're on to something here. ;)

Mitchell Buchanan Jr. – The Charley Project
SBBM
Buchanan was last seen at his residence in the vicinity of the 6400 block of Autumn Woods Trail in Dallas, Texas at 8:00 p.m. on October 25, 2006. He has never been heard from again.

His gray 1996 Dodge C15 truck with the Texas license plate number 2FYJ09 was found abandoned on October 29. It was located on the shoulder of Highway 20, east of the Tyler, Texas exit at Highway 14. There was no sign of Buchanan at the scene. He did not have any identification with him when he disappeared.

Doe's contacts at NamUs - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Mitchell's NamUs contacts - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back