TX TX - Unidentified victims of Dean Corll, Houston Serial Killer, 1970-1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SBM
According to Brooks' and Henley's confessions, bodies were buried up and down the coast near High Island Beach. Old Highway 87 (which is now closed IIRC) runs the entire length of Bolivar Peninsula but ends, or intersects with Hwy 124, at around High Island Beach (marked by the arrow). So, from what I gather, the men drove from the locations they killed the boys, exited at Hwy 87 at High Island Beach with the boys' bodies in wooden boxes and then picked a spot on the beach and buried them.
Upon reading back through the thread, I realized I was a bit confusing in this post. I’ve been studying the coast line’s topography as it was in the 70’s compared to what it is now. It’s quite different. Old Highway 87 did extend East past 124 and into Chambers and Jefferson County. Today, you can’t drive East of 124, it’s just beach. In the 70’s Highway 87 extended up and down the coast both ways (I’m not at my desktop or I’d post a screenshot) and right off the highway (South) was a sandbar/dune separating it from the actual beach. That is the grassy area you see Henley and Brooks sitting in the photos of them at HIB.

Not that it makes any difference, but I wanted to clear that up. Only now has Hwy 87 been closed east of Hwy 124. I guess essentially due to flooding over time. But back then it was accessible for a significant portion of the coastline.

FWIW

@MadMcGoo I tried to access your spreadsheet but was denied access, is it still public?

Great find with the death certificates, how did you find them?

WARNING GRAPHIC
Poor Johnny Delone, sexually tortured, raped, strangled, gagged, and shot. Johnny was the boy in which Elmer said “Hey Johnny!” and shot him in the forehead. Johnny was still alive and pleaded for his life but Elmer strangled him. Sick *advertiser censored*.

According to Brooks, Henley was 'especially sadistic' in his participation of the murders committed at 925 Schuler: before Corll vacated the address on June 26, Henley assisted Corll and Brooks in the abduction and murder of two youths named Billy Baulch and Johnny Delone. In Brooks' confession, he stated that both youths were tied to Corll's bed and, after their torture and rape, Henley manually strangled Baulch, then shouted "Hey, Johnny!" and shot Delone in the forehead, with the bullet exiting through the youth's ear. Delone then pleaded with Henley: "Wayne, please don't!", before he too was strangled

This quote is from the book The Man with the Candy.

I came across a few photos I hadn’t seen before.

Location of the bodies found at the storage shed at 4500 Silver Bell.

B6152E37-B890-4882-9E6C-C1855ADF4B20.jpeg

Tim Kerley, who at 19 was bound to a torture board with Rhonda Williams, 15. Tim committed suicide at the age of 55. He and Rhonda escaped after Elmer shot and killed Dean Corll
3CA7AF32-AC18-40E9-992E-E582AF977D0A.jpeg

Rhonda Williams at 15, she is also deceased
5BB6A86C-D91A-4E44-BDCD-F8899E73778F.jpeg

Serial killer Elmer Wayne Henley and his mother, prison photo
1B8D27D2-4D7E-416D-9B2C-1A244E436190.jpeg

The mother of victim David Hilligiest, 15
1BFBB91F-4C6D-4CF6-8401-3917FDA83854.jpeg

Last edited:
Serial murderer David Brooks in 1973, at High Island burial site
AEFC7FCE-78F3-46CD-9965-DA9173F4C69B.jpeg

David Brooks mugshot 1983
46E330E3-9328-40A4-8191-930EE9F4388D.png

David Brooks mugshot 2018
6ABFEF5B-F6F5-4F54-B52F-600433F277A3.jpeg

Serial killer Dean Corll
6FB68B67-5ABF-4EE7-BBEC-449C9858E8BE.jpeg

Bridget Brooks, wife of David leaving courtroom, in 1974. To her left is David’s attorney and in the middle is David’s father, Alton Brooks. Bridget passed away in 2012 after a brief illness.

Bridget and David had a daughter together, Rachel, who died in a car accident the night of her senior prom.
696173E7-FED0-4FE6-9C77-599495FA12BB.jpeg

Last edited:
@MadMcGoo I tried to access your spreadsheet but was denied access, is it still public?

Great find with the death certificates, how did you find them?

WARNING GRAPHIC
Poor Johnny Delone, sexually tortured, raped, strangled, gagged, and shot. Johnny was the boy in which Elmer said “Hey Johnny!” and shot him in the forehead. Johnny was still alive and pleaded for his life but Elmer strangled him. Sick *advertiser censored*.

This quote is from the book The Man with the Candy.
Hey Snoods! Sorry!! I removed access to the spreadsheet for a bit so I could update it and change a few things (and I didn’t figure it was much use to anyone else). I don’t mind sharing any and all of my research, it’s just usually difficult for others to comprehend the madness of my method! ;):p Here’s the link again and fair warning - it’s still under construction, so somethings may not make sense, but it’s resourceful if nothing else. The dates of discovery, for example, are going to be wrong on a few because the police reports give conflicting info on those and I’m trying to sort through those.

Dean Arnold Corll

I found all the death certificates on Ancestry. I think I’ve seen a few scattered about the web, but that was just the easiest place for me to locate all of them, minus the few I didn’t find any place.

I was also able to locate the original police reports, which is where the drawing of the boat stall graves came from. They are EXTREMELY insightful. Aside from court transcripts, they’re usually the first things I try to find in any case. Although, in this instance they raise a few more questions for me. The links should now be in the spreadsheet somewhere, if not just holler and I’ll try to get you the link. I’m assuming though that everyone has already seen them. :D

Interestingly enough, I was able to find where the UID we’ve been looking at recently (Jefferson County, on beach - not “Swimsuit Sammy” and not the two additional bones found in the grave with the other boys), was discovered at the same time the others were found, on “High Island Beach”. ETA: I can’t figure out why all the death certificates have listed Chambers as the location of discovery.

I don’t have the document in front of me right now, but on one day of digging on the beach (Aug 9 IIRC), Jefferson, Chambers, and Galveston county authorities were all at the beach because they in fact had discovered bodies on the beach, in all three counties. One body (UP9782) was found separate from the others and definitely in Jefferson County. And as far as I can tell, after reading all the police reports, that body was never identified - not even misidentified. So I’m not sure why this boy has not received more attention. He’s been unidentified since August 1973, same as the others.

I’m still reading back over all the reports because it’s a lot to take in and I’m sure I’ve missed things here and there, but I’m confident in my findings regarding the remains found in Jefferson at the same time the others were discovered. Whereas “Swimsuit Sammy” is the only remaining unidentified boy found at the boat stall during those first few days after Corll’s murder, UP9782 is the only remaining unidentified boy found on “High Island Beach” at the exact same time. Aside from the misidentified boys and of course the ones who have yet to be discovered. Which after reading the police reports, I’m certain there are more of both that we simply aren’t aware of.

I knew this entire case was grossly mishandled, but it’s worse than I thought. I wasn’t sure how many, if any, people were interested in this outside of identifying the remaining victim, but there’s definitely more to the story and many more questions to be answered. I understand the want for closure amongst the victim’s families, and a sense of peace, but I truly feel that the murders of these boys is only the tip of the iceberg to something(s) much more horrendous.

Whomever pushed to have this brushed under the rug, and I believe that is what happened, did a fantastic job of doing so. In my opinion, there’s more digging to be done - both literally and metaphorically speaking.

Last edited:
That diagram above shows 7 graves discovered on the beach, six of which have been discussed; Jeffrey Konen, Frank Aguirre, Johnny Delome, Richard Kepner, John Sellars (Chambers County), and Billy Baulch (Jefferson County). These reports are dated August 10, 1973 and Joseph Lyles was not discovered until 1983, so that 7th body found, in Jefferson County, has been known of since that first week and unidentified this entire time.

My guess is that Galveston County authorities were on location because HIB is technically in that county. So when Henley and Brooks said they’d point out bodies buried on HIB, they probably didn’t initially expect to be digging in 3 different counties. That’s just speculation on my part however.

I’ve seen most all of them and can also place names, but 4th row, last 2? I think I know...
The collage is in the order of their murder, or pretty close.
This is the order they are in in the collage.

Jeffrey Konen, 18 / James Glass, 14 and Danny Yates, 14 (murdered together)/ Donald Waldrop, 15 and his brother Jerry Waldrop, 13 (killed together) / Randell Harvey, 15 / David Hilligiest, 13, and Gregory Malley Winkle, 16 (murdered together) / Ruben Watson, 17 / Willard 'Rusty' Branch, Jr. 17 / Frank Aguirre, 18 / Mark Scott, 17/ Billy Baulch, 17 and Johnny Delone, 16, not pictured (murdered together) / Steven Sickman, 17 / Roy Bunton, 18 / Wally Jay Simoneaux, 14, and Richard Hembree, 13 (murdered together) / Richard Kepner, 19 / Joseph Lyles, 17 / Billy Ray Lawrence, 15 / Ray Blackburn, 20 /* Homer Garcia, 15 (supposed to be but I believe is incorrect?) / John Sellars, 17 (supposed to be?) / Michael 'Tony' Baulch, 15 (his older brother Billy Baulch was murdered a year earlier) / Marty Jones, 18, and Charles Cary Cobble, 17 (murdered together)/ James Dreymala, 13

*This is a picture of Homer Garcia, so not sure about the picture in the collage. They don’t look similar.
0E4C8AED-BCA8-4E93-839F-ACBA34FFA529.jpeg

Last edited:
The death certificates are so confusing with the different precincts, or two on one certificate!

The counties? Doesn’t anyone care that there are so many discrepancies, extra bones and bodies lying around, or about all the other mistakes that have been made? It boggles my mind.

That diagram above shows 7 graves discovered on the beach, six of which have been discussed; Jeffrey Konen, Frank Aguirre, Johnny Delome, Richard Kepner, John Sellars (Chambers County), and Billy Baulch (Jefferson County). These reports are dated August 10, 1973 and Joseph Lyles was not discovered until 1983, so that 7th body found, in Jefferson County, has been known of since that first week and unidentified this entire time.
Yes! But why has he been pushed under the rug?
I agree there has been cover up after cover up and a let’s get this over with as soon as possible attitude. Here ya go, these bones are your kid. Now let’s move along, nothing else to see here.

@MadMcGoo Interestingly enough, I was able to find where the UID we’ve been looking at recently (Jefferson County, on beach - not “Swimsuit Sammy” and not the two additional bones found in the grave with the other boys), was discovered at the same time the others were found, on “High Island Beach”. ETA: I can’t figure out why all the death certificates have listed Chambers as the location of discovery.
Amazing, you are doing fantastic work here! Again with another county discrepancy.

Billy Ridinger, let go after torture, what is your opinion about him? PM me if you think wise.

Would you mind terribly linking the police reports, court documents, and the misc. forum, websites, and blogs? Thank you in advance! For some reason they won’t open for me on your fabulous spreadsheet. Wow, you have been putting in some work!
How did you find out the specifics about who and what was in the photos found at Corll’s house? Page two is mind-blowing!

View attachment 244197
...one of many interesting pages from the reports. o_O
Whoa, are you looking at the Dallas warehouse?

I just started reading a recently published book called “The Candy Cards: The shocking story of Dean Corll” by Robert Brown. Have you read it yet? Do you find it odd there aren’t more books about Dean Corll and co.? There are a gazillion books about John Wayne Gacy, Dahmer, Bundy, etc. but only one decent book about Dean Corll, The Man with the Candy by Jack Olson. Corll makes Gacy look like a Boy Scout.

Last edited:
Amazing, you are doing fantastic work here! Again with another county discrepancy.

Billy Ridinger, let go after torture, what is your opinion about him? PM me if you think wise.

Would you mind terribly linking the police reports, court documents, and the misc. forum, websites, and blogs? Thank you in advance! For some reason they won’t open for me on your fabulous spreadsheet. Wow, you have been putting in some work!
How did you find out the specifics about who and what was in the photos found at Corll’s house? Page two is mind-blowing!
The discrepancies are so numerous, I don’t know how anyone working this case kept things in order. I guess they really didn’t, obviously. And yes, I agree that it was a lot of “here’s a body or set of remains, they belong to your son, case closed”. I can understand the amount of pressure and stress put on the agency, but racing through the investigation in order to lighten their load and satisfy the families of these missing boys, is disheartening. And I’m putting that mildly.

I also understand that things were very different back then, but here were are today with so many questions still that I think could be answered if someone were to take the time to at least reevaluate some of the evidence. I don’t know, I’m in no place to judge really, I’m just taken aback by all the lose ends.

The death certificates - I suppose I can see how they’d list one County, I guess. I’m sure that wasn’t a top priority for them, as I doubt the families gave it a second thought. It was probably easier just to put the same thing on all of them. But then I don’t understand why they’d go into such great detail (1917 ft. east of the...) about the locations if the certificates themselves were merely a formalities.

Billy Ridinger - I don’t mind giving my thoughts on him. I’ve not read anything pertaining specifically to him (his testimony, statements, etc.) only the few police reports that mention him. He was involved with Corll, in some way, earlier than Brooks IIRC. In the reports are multiple addresses associated with Corll and I believe Ridinger either lived with him at a few or was listed as next of kin (roommate possibly) on a rental application. I can’t remember exactly, but the day he almost became another victim was not the first time he had met Corll. Ridinger’s name also comes up in other reports, from other witnesses, and seems to have been associated with more than one victim and more than one perp (known and suspected). I’d like to read more of his own statements and testimony, but his name comes up a lot.

The police reports are not in order so that why it’s hard for me to go back and find exactly where I read all this, but this is the link to where I found them...
Dean Corll records from Houston PD : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Like I said before, I’m sure I’ve missed things which is why I’m reading over them again. So if I misquote something, it’s unintentional. All this information is in those reports though.

The court documents are the same as what you linked above, only from different sites. They’re the same documents though.

As far as the photos found in Corll’s home after his murder, that information is also in the reports! And I haven’t read all of those, I’ve been trying to get the basic facts down, which even that is difficult. I really wish I had the time to organize them because it’d make it easier to read chronologically and go back and find specific things. That’s another place Ridinger’s name comes up...a few photos of him were found amongst the ones found at Corll’s.

Rhonda’s interview - Yah, the Dallas warehouse for one, but also her mentioning that she told Dean she wanted to get away from her own home for a few days in order to make her mind whether or not she wanted to run away with him (Dean) to CO/NV. Wait a sec, reading over this again, I think there were some typos. It sounded to me like Corll knew Rhonda would be coming over that night and possibly running off with him and Henley wherever they were going. But I think Dean and Wayne’s name were inadvertently switched a couple of times in that particular report. :confused:o_O There we have again, more confusion!

Yes, page 2 is mind boggling, and I’ve yet to scratch the surface there. I’ve been throwing things on there as I go, because there are sooo many additional people mentioned in various witness statements; other missing boys, other sexual predators in the community, other potential victims. I can’t read one report without finding a new name mentioned. Also several potential aliases for Corll! There’s a wealth of information there, I’m just slowly combing through it.

I do find it very interesting that not more is available to read about this case. I’ve not been able to read any of the well known publications and that’s the first I’d heard of the one you mentioned. I’d like to. It’s also interesting to me that everything out there seems to focus on Henley. A case of the “squeaky wheel gets the grease” I think, but I believe Brooks’ role in all this is significantly downplayed. At the very least, he’s managed to be overshadowed by Henley’s loose lips and love for attention.

I’m going to link the stuff I have on the spreadsheet below...

Police Reports:
Court Documents:
Misc. Forums/Blogs:
  • [Police report links] Sadistic ‘Candyman’ Killer Dean Corll: Involved in a Nationwide Child Kidnapping, Rape, Trafficking, Snuff Film and *advertiser censored* Ring
Books & Magazines:
Podcast (transcript):

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!