TX TX - Unidentified victims of Dean Corll, Houston Serial Killer, 1970-1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No trace of McNutt except a possible birth record. Searching his mom may yield better results, but the information on her is pretty limited.

Tried to find the rest of them.
I looked at 3950 Hollister but couldn't find anything so I looked at FamilySearch which was more promising. The results I'm getting are marriage and residence records. The top result is someone born in 1954 and some marriage records that mean if it's the same Gary Allen Wilkerson, he was alive in 1974 and would've been 19. May even be the same guy as the top result. Ancestry has one but the guy is from California but I don't have an age to estimate a birthdate so I can't say if it's him for sure (I'm guessing the mom's name is Holt and when I put that in it was still there, says he was born in Riverside and that's a big if).
Bill Walls has too many results to even count. I can't even begin to imagine which one is the Bill Walls we're looking for. There's a lot of results that come from Texas alone and within the range of birth years that would be consistent for a Corll victim.
David Lucas has some promising results (some that are probably the same person), with birthdates that are usually in the range of 1955-1956 with a few outliers. Most of them were alive after the Houston Mass Murders.
Note: FNU means First Name Unknown, so that doesn't help much, especially since we're not sure if it's a spouse, mother, father, or even child (the same record keeps coming up of a man alive after the murders that was born in Texas for Wilkerson but that's if he was even born in Texas). MyHeritage looks promising, but I can only see the pictures and the implied birth date right now. I don't know if it would be much help, but feel free to look (maybe the yearbooks or something). It would be helpful if they had an age, birthyear, or next of kin.

Tried to find the rest of them.
I looked at 3950 Hollister but couldn't find anything so I looked at FamilySearch which was more promising. The results I'm getting are marriage and residence records. The top result is someone born in 1954 and some marriage records that mean if it's the same Gary Allen Wilkerson, he was alive in 1974 and would've been 19. May even be the same guy as the top result. Ancestry has one but the guy is from California but I don't have an age to estimate a birthdate so I can't say if it's him for sure (I'm guessing the mom's name is Holt and when I put that in it was still there, says he was born in Riverside and that's a big if).
Bill Walls has too many results to even count. I can't even begin to imagine which one is the Bill Walls we're looking for. There's a lot of results that come from Texas alone and within the range of birth years that would be consistent for a Corll victim.
David Lucas has some promising results (some that are probably the same person), with birthdates that are usually in the range of 1955-1956 with a few outliers. Most of them were alive after the Houston Mass Murders.
Note: FNU means First Name Unknown, so that doesn't help much, especially since we're not sure if it's a spouse, mother, father, or even child (the same record keeps coming up of a man alive after the murders that was born in Texas for Wilkerson but that's if he was even born in Texas). MyHeritage looks promising, but I can only see the pictures and the implied birth date right now. I don't know if it would be much help, but feel free to look (maybe the yearbooks or something). It would be helpful if they had an age, birthyear, or next of kin.
Thanks for doing all this!! I’ve tried several times to look for some of these boys and been mostly unsuccessful. The reports are so vague when mentioning most of them. I don’t know how to go about finding out what happened to all the boys in these reports. I’m not even sure that the agencies who took these reports would know the answers. It’s extremely heartbreaking.

Dunno if it's much of an update but the other supposed Corll victim: Jefferson County John Doe (1973)
They finally have an entry there. There's still not much information on this set of bones (the date isn't even correct, since they were supposedly found at High Island beach and that area wasn't searched til August 13), so it was probably a file with little information anyway. Hopefully DNA can provide us with this young boy's identity soon.

Dunno if it's much of an update but the other supposed Corll victim: Jefferson County John Doe (1973)
They finally have an entry there. There's still not much information on this set of bones (the date isn't even correct, since they were supposedly found at High Island beach and that area wasn't searched til August 13), so it was probably a file with little information anyway. Hopefully DNA can provide us with this young boy's identity soon.
Thanks for sharing! I’m glad he’s finally getting some attention elsewhere!

The date could be correct. There are a ton of police reports on this case, and bodies were even being discovered at Lake Sam Rayburn as early as the 9th. They were also at the beach prior to the 13th. I can’t find the exact page, but it’s all right here: Dean Corll records from Houston PD : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

One thing I did notice, which doesn’t surprise me, is that NamUs indicated (before they stopped listing this for the public) that this “set of remains” consisted of a sacrum only. The Wiki now says it’s an armbone and pelvis. It really is no wonder there’s always been mass confusion in these cases. Poor boys.

I truly hope that one day DNA, or something, can help get these cases solved!

Billy Ridinger

Even searching Websleuths only gives 4 results but to me he has always been the most interesting part of the case.

I believe I found him but I don’t know the rules about posting stuff like that.

57477E2D-90B1-1C17-D1BE960A7BBA0E3A.jpg

pretty sure that’s his HS pic.

Also, this quote: “Main witness, believed to be Billy Ridinger, escaped death with David Brooks' help. Houston DA Carol Vance refuses comment on main witness” [Texas Mass Murders / Indictments | Vanderbilt Television News Archive] is one more of the long list of abrupt and odd stoppages of info every time his name comes up.

I talked to Rhonda via YouTube messenger several years ago. Even she didn’t have anything to say about him and we know she loves talking about the case. She stopped responding once I brought his name up.

I’ve spent countless hours on this case. And the Ridinger situation is why. The pedophile ring is crazy but Billy could have saved a dozen lives after he was released. Why is there such secrecy around him?

Hi all,
Fascinating work on this case. I became interested after seeing the documentary Collectors in 2000 and hearing the song "Candy Man" by Monte Cazazza in the late 90's. Reviewing all the police files and articles on the theory that Corll was an active member of a pedophile ring has me wondering if there was any contact between this ring in the California/Texas area and the alleged pedophile ring that is at the heart of several investigations surrounding the Michigan "babysitter" murders/Oakland County child killings in 1976/77, specifically the figure of Francis D. Shelden, and the boy's camp he sponsored on North Fox Island. It's unbelievable how many people were involved and to what depths these organized rings operated at. John Norman seemed to have an extensive business not only producing child *advertiser censored* but also setting up boys with clients. Was Norman soliciting materials and boys from other pedophiles and other rings? Norman had an Illinois "business" set up and could have engaged with others of his predilections in Michigan. Geographically, the two states touch so it could be possible that transactions of numerous kinds could have happened clandestinely. Shelden had a pilot's license and his own plane. Would like to hear other's thoughts on this.

Hi all,
Fascinating work on this case. I became interested after seeing the documentary Collectors in 2000 and hearing the song "Candy Man" by Monte Cazazza in the late 90's. Reviewing all the police files and articles on the theory that Corll was an active member of a pedophile ring has me wondering if there was any contact between this ring in the California/Texas area and the alleged pedophile ring that is at the heart of several investigations surrounding the Michigan "babysitter" murders/Oakland County child killings in 1976/77, specifically the figure of Francis D. Shelden, and the boy's camp he sponsored on North Fox Island. It's unbelievable how many people were involved and to what depths these organized rings operated at. John Norman seemed to have an extensive business not only producing child *advertiser censored* but also setting up boys with clients. Was Norman soliciting materials and boys from other pedophiles and other rings? Norman had an Illinois "business" set up and could have engaged with others of his predilections in Michigan. Geographically, the two states touch so it could be possible that transactions of numerous kinds could have happened clandestinely. Shelden had a pilot's license and his own plane. Would like to hear other's thoughts on this.
Thanks for the insight! I’m not familiar with these other pedophile rings. The first thought that comes to mind is how on earth did Corll get so involved with such an extensive operation by the time he was 33?! I’m only a few years older than that, and I guess it’s not considered young, but I just can’t imagine. Then again, I can’t imagine doing any of the things he did, so. I guess that’s about average age for the typical serial killer.

I didn’t explore much down the pedophile rabbit hole when in comes to Corll. I had to take a little break from him, in fact. But I do think anything is possible! I certainly don’t believe that his crimes were exclusive to Houston or Texas.

ETA: Welcome to Websleuths by the way! :)

Thank you! Yes, that is a really interesting question about when Corll got involved with the ring and if it coincided with his first murders. I think I remember reading that one of Corll's accomplices saying that Corll had mentioned killing a hitchhiker as his first murder? Maybe after he got out of the army and met Brooks? A bigger question is how did pedophiles in the 60's and 70's find these rings? Obviously there was no Internet or Dark Web for them to advertise and communicate on. I don't think that Corll ever went to Michigan or anything like that but I wonder if the same pictures of his victims that were found in his child *advertiser censored* cache ever found their way to Michigan, sold and distributed through Norman's mail order business and if Corll and Norman ever received photos from the ring in Michigan. Perhaps there was a special line of product that catered to those looking for extreme photos of sex and violence and were not sold to your average child molester?

Thank you! Yes, that is a really interesting question about when Corll got involved with the ring and if it coincided with his first murders. I think I remember reading that one of Corll's accomplices saying that Corll had mentioned killing a hitchhiker as his first murder? Maybe after he got out of the army and met Brooks? A bigger question is how did pedophiles in the 60's and 70's find these rings? Obviously there was no Internet or Dark Web for them to advertise and communicate on. I don't think that Corll ever went to Michigan or anything like that but I wonder if the same pictures of his victims that were found in his child *advertiser censored* cache ever found their way to Michigan, sold and distributed through Norman's mail order business and if Corll and Norman ever received photos from the ring in Michigan. Perhaps there was a special line of product that catered to those looking for extreme photos of sex and violence and were not sold to your average child molester?
I can’t remember offhand where, I thought, his crimes might have started. It’s been awhile, I’ll need a refresher.

I can’t imagine, even with the internet, how people are able to do these sorts of things and get away with it. I imagine it would have been easier to get away with then for a multitude of reasons. For one, who aside from the criminals themselves would have even been looking for that sort of thing? Ya know? So much about these crimes was taboo and relatively unheard of. Especially in any mainstream capacity. I could be wrong, as I’m only basing that off of my research. I wasn’t alive back then and am not speaking from experience.

I don’t think he ever went to Michigan either, but I can see something like an exchange of photos taking place between him and other “ring leaders”. If he was even the ring leader of his whole operation.

I think the homosexuality aspect of it all makes some things hard to distinguish. Like, were all these other men (listed on reports) that he was allegedly associated with his love interests? Potential victims? Business associates? I came across SO many names in my research. It’s hard to imagine that some of them weren’t involved or, at least, aware of what was going on.

The whole thing is just so sad. And frightening. I have been anticipating the identification of “Swimsuit Boy” for awhile. Something tells me his identification is will result in many more answers AND questions. But something seems to be holding up his process. :(

I’ve seen a little bit of this “documentary” that will be airing on ID tonight, I think. I haven’t listened to the podcast linked on the site. Understandably a lot of details are being left out but for the most part it’s a good representation of facts.

https://www.investigationdiscovery....he-candyman----the-inside-story-of-dean-corll

Seeing the photos of all these boys again is overwhelmingly sad. ETA: And the home videos... :(

Last edited:
On Discovery plus there is a special about the “clown and the candy man”. It is horrific... they don’t exactly tie them together but the exact words that Corll used in regards to the handcuffs were the same words Gary used... I felt nauseous. I was a kid in high school south of Chicago when the whole Gary thing came out (we told the jokes and giggled) and so I remember it vividly when body after body came out...

On Discovery plus there is a special about the “clown and the candy man”. It is horrific... they don’t exactly tie them together but the exact words that Corll used in regards to the handcuffs were the same words Gary used... I felt nauseous. I was a kid in high school south of Chicago when the whole Gary thing came out (we told the jokes and giggled) and so I remember it vividly when body after body came out...
Yea. That’s the one I’m watching now on Discovery+. I think I read that it will be airing on the cable channel ID tonight and tomorrow. It’s very nauseating. I’d venture to say viewer discretion is certainly advised!

Interestingly, Norman Prater’s photo is front and center among the photos of the missing and identified boys. Where is his body? I don’t doubt they he was a victim of these predators.

Gacy had accidentally killed his first victim in January 1972 (by stabbing which was the only time he did so). His second (most likely Body 28 who is still unnamed) was most likely killed in 1974, months after Dean Corll's horrible murders were uncovered. I believe Gacy was very much influenced by how Corll operated, maybe even to the point that he was inspired to start killing again. His rope trick and handcuff tricks were classic Corll tricks too. Moreover, Patrick Kearney had news clippings of the Houston Mass Murders when he was arrested as well. Corll was a sick killer whose actions were directly known to at least two other killers, and possibly inspired at least one to start killing again. It makes one feel quite sick to think about.

From what I've read about DC, it seems like his UID victim probably died between November 17, 1970 and December 31, 1971. Maybe Dean chose this UID as his first victim to try burying in the shed, who knows?

Interestingly, Norman Prater’s photo is front and center among the photos of the missing and identified boys. Where is his body? I don’t doubt they he was a victim of these predators.
I agree, Norman was probably a victim and buried at HB. The Hurricane probably washed away more bodies there than were ever found at HB.

I decided to compile a list of Corll, Brooks, and Henley's victims and their dates:
(Template = Name/Date/Burial (High Beach = HB, Jefferson Beach = JB, Lake Rayburn - LR, and Boat Shed = BS)
  1. Jeffrey Konen (September 25, 1970): HB
  2. Unknown Male "Swimsuit Boy" (c. November 17, 1970 - December 31, 1971)
  3. James Glass (December 13, 1970): BS
  4. Danny Yates (December 13, 1970): BS
  5. Donald Waldrop (January 30, 1971): BS
  6. Jerry Waldrop (January 30, 1971): BS
  7. Randall Harvey (March 9, 1971): BS
  8. David Hilligiest (May 29, 1971): BS
  9. Malley Winkle (May 29, 1971): BS
  10. Ruben Watson-Haney (August 17, 1971): BS
  11. Frank Aguirre (March 24, 1972): HB
  12. Mark Scott (April 20, 1972): HB
  13. Johnny Delome (May 21, 1972): HB
  14. Billy Baulch (May 21, 1972): HB
  15. Steve Sickman (July 19, 1972): BS
  16. Roy Bunton (August 21, 1972): BS
  17. Wally Simoneaux (October 2, 1972): BS
  18. Richard Hembree (October 2, 1972): BS
  19. Willard Branch (November 1, 1972): BS
  20. Richard Kepner (November 15, 1972): HB
  21. Joseph Lyles (February 1, 1973): JB
  22. William Lawrence (June 4, 1973): LR
  23. Raymond Blackburn (June 15, 1973): LR
  24. Homer Garcia (July 7, 1973): LR
  25. John Sellars (July 12, 1973): HB
  26. Michael Baulch (July 19, 1973): LR
  27. Marty Jones (July 25, 1973): BS
  28. Charles Cobble (July 25, 1973): BS
  29. James Dreymala (August 3, 1973): BS

I think I have a possible ID for the suspected Corll UID victim at Jefferson Beach:
Norman Lamar Prater
Original

Born: June 6, 1956
Disappeared: January 14, 1973

Norman might've been with Joseph Lyles, as that is where Joseph was killed (Jefferson Beach). Dallas and Jefferson Co. are about 3 1/2 hours apart by car. The UID was 13-20 and Norman was 16.

Do y'all think this match might be worth submitting?

UID NamUs: Unidentified Person Case (namus.gov)
Norman's NamUs: Missing Person Case (namus.gov)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back