U.K - Third Royal Baby on the way - Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope they don’t choose Arthur or Albert. Prince Albert is the nickname for an intimate male piercing.

I wondered if William's "funny you should say that . . . it will be a strong name" to Alexander Downer's suggestion of Alexander meant that William was inclining to his own name--William.

I like Francis too, but perhaps traditional English Francophobia would rule that out.

I’m partial to James, but Arthur isn’t a bad choice either! Alexander would also be good.

Can’t wait to find out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think John might be in there somewhere. Only because of William's remark about calling him Jack. most Johns area Jack.

“I’m going to insist the baby is called Jack,” before adding after a pause “... or Jackie”.

Thanks for the update. Too bad they couldn't Skype and call it good.

I shouldn't complain. One of my kids was six weeks old before I decided on his name.

So does that mean they haven't decided yet, or just not releasing it?

I shouldn't complain. One of my kids was six weeks old before I decided on his name.

We couldn't decide on my son's name, so I gave my husband a list of 20 names and said pick one. I thought that was pretty generous of me. He didn't like any of them. We finally agreed on something when my son was 2 days old.

Just curious, what did you call him for six weeks, LOL ?

We couldn't decide on my son's name, so I gave my husband a list of 20 names and said pick one. I thought that was pretty generous of me. He didn't like any of them. We finally agreed on something when my son was 2 days old.

Just curious, what did you call him for six weeks, LOL ?

We just called him 'the baby'.

The only reason we made a decision at six weeks old is because you have to register the birth within six weeks here. Otherwise, we probably would have taken even longer!

I would be very surprised if they go for Albert, considering what a Prince Albert means in slang. Maybe as a third or fourth name, eg Phillip Leopold Albert Augustus, but not as his first.

Just curious, why is Arthur the projected favorite? Does anyone know where that might name have come from? Other than King Arthur & the Knights of the round table, how long has it been since there has been a prince Arthur?

The older brother of Henry VIII was Arthur, Prince of Wales. Arthur was married to Catherine of Aragon but died within a few months and Catherine went on to marry Henry. Catherine claimed her marriage to Arthur was unconsummated, which is why her subsequent marriage to his brother was allowed since ordinarily a widow was not permitted to marry her late husband's brother.

Whatever they choose, I hope it isn't James. They already have George, and with James and George, you have almost finished saying the entire name before you hit a difference. (George and John are even worse in that respect.) George and Jacob (instead of James) would be better.

Or else Alexander! Michael! Philip!

It's funny you mention the name John. That's one of the names I was hoping they would consider as well. I wish they could go rogue and honor Diana by calling the baby Spencer, but I think the Queen's head would explode if they did that. ;)

I suspect John is very unlikely as it is regarded as unlucky in royal terms. Not just because of King John, but because the last Prince John was the youngest son of George V who had epilepsy and died in his early teens.

That being said, I hope they will go a little bit off piste and choose a name that it not traditionally royal, like Theodore, Sebastian, Hugo or Rupert. All of those are well used in the British aristocracy, so he would fit in well at Eton. :)

AFAIK none of those names have a precedent in the royal family and they do tend to follow precedent unless there's a very good reason to step outside it, eg if Kate's father or brother had one of the names.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlennOthram
Back