UK - A commercial plane took off from London Stansted Airport w/ 2 missing windows & reached 10,000 feet before anyone realized problem, 4 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
A commercial plane took off with two missing window assemblies and reached more than 10,000 feet before anyone realized something was wrong, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch said.

The incident, which involved an Airbus A321, was the subject of a special bulletin released by the AAIB last week detailing events that took place on October 4.

On that day, the plane departed from London Stansted Airport for Orlando International Airport. It was carrying three pilots, an engineer, a loadmaster, six cabin crew, and nine passengers, and it was scheduled for a multiday charter, the bulletin said.

But shortly after takeoff, several passengers noticed that the aircraft cabin seemed both colder and noisier than usual, according to the report.

The plane continued to climb to an altitude of 10,000 feet, and the seatbelt signs were switched off, the bulletin said.

It was at this point that the loadmaster walked toward the back of the plane and noticed a significant increase in cabin noise, saying it was "loud enough to damage your hearing," according to the report.

Missing plane windowA plane with 20 people aboard took off on a flight from London to Orlando while missing two windows and reached 10,000 feet before anyone noticed.

The damaged panes were “deformed and shrunk[en],” according to the AAIB.

“Whereas in this case the damage became apparent at around FL100 (10,000 feet) and the flight was concluded uneventfully, a different level of damage by the same means might have resulted in more serious consequences, especially if window integrity was lost at higher differential pressure,” the AAIB said.

The same plane had been used by King Charles and Queen Camilla for their recent state visit to France.

It also had reportedly been used by Sunak and UK Foreign Secretary James Cleverly before being made available for private service, according to the outlet.

My instinctive reaction to this was to cover my ears, close my eyes, and say, "Nope! No No no."

If anyone's ever seen the interview with Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth where Hemsworth is casually describing being in a group of surfers when a shark is around, and Chris Evans' horror, I am Chris Evans in this situation.

Man, I hate flying.

I am equal opportunity, I hate boats, too.

And tall buildings.

I just don't like having huge amounts of space between me and solid ground, okay?

Last edited:
Caused by high-powered lights from a filmshoot. Wonder what it was (or will be)? TV or theatre?
A plane took off from Stansted Airport with missing windows due to damage caused by high-powered lights during a filming event.

[...]

The incident happened a day after it was used for filming on the ground, when powerful lights were set up close to the plane to “give the illusion of a sunrise”, the AAIB said in a preliminary report.

They shone on the right side of the aircraft for around five-and-a-half hours, before being moved to the left side for four hours.

The AAIB said the lights were designed to be deployed no closer than 10 metres from the object being illuminated, but they were between six metres and nine metres from the damaged windows.*

*32.8, 19.7 and 29.5 feet, respectively

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back