UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not new at all. DNA testing of local men started in June 2007, so even then they had a profile to compare. Pub talk could be key to Nairn banker's doorstep murder
There is no DNA sample or DNA collected from any item tested.

A cigarette but found on his doorstep was tested against 2000 men & nothing was matched. It could have blown over from the pub & belong to someone on holiday.

DNA from the gun found nothing!
They tested the men incase of a match.

Regarding potential DNA and new technology. We had a 20 year-old case solved in Wales due to new/advanced technology that was able to locate DNA on items from scene of crime exhibits (gun/clothing in this particular case - John Cooper murders) - that it couldnt do in the 80's. That's the sort of thing I think they may be meaning DNA wise?..I.e advances in technology can now pick up forensic details like blood etc that they couldn't get previously off the crime scene items. Perhaps they do have DNA off the bullets etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211-003642_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211-003642_Chrome.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 8
I was expecting the original sources rather than your own notes. Can you post links to the originals please?
If you look at what I said, I said that I’ve written down word for word what was in the interviews- so I’m not sure how you weren’t expecting that tbh…If you want to look at what was said, then start with the doorstep podcast and look for the other interviews on YouTube.

If you look at what I said, I said that I’ve written down word for word what was in the interviews- so I’m not sure how you weren’t expecting that tbh…If you want to look at what was said, then start with the doorstep podcast and look for the other interviews on YouTube.
Can you provide links to your sources? I'm sure that we would all find that helpful.

25 March 2024
''Nobody has ever been charged with the crime though there did seem to be some movement in the investigation last year as news emerged that the father-of-two had made a formal objection to proposals for a new decking area to be created outside the Havelock Hotel in Nairn, yards from his home just days before his murder.
There were also reports of Scottish police working with counterparts in Canada to interview witnesses in Nova Scotia.''
''THE gunman who murdered a banker on his doorstep may have escaped by boat.

One craft was spotted in the harbour at Nairn last Sunday, the day 30-year-old dad-of-two Alistair Wilson was shot dead at his home in the town.

Detectives are also checking reports that a speedboat was found at the Black Isle, on the opposite side of the Moray Firth.''

On Monday, Scotland’s Lord Advocate Dorothy Bain KC said a new team of prosecutors will work with officers from Police Scotland to launch a new probe into the murder.

She said: “This was a deeply disturbing crime in which a devastating loss was suffered by Mr Wilson’s family.

“There have been strenuous efforts made over many years to resolve this case and a great deal of evidence has been gathered.

“However, I have decided that it is appropriate for all the details of the case to be considered afresh and for further investigations to be made.

“It is my sincere hope that this secures justice for Alistair Wilson’s family and for the wider community who have been affected by this violent crime.”

Quoting from an old BBC article dated 27 Nov 2017 - The mysterious envelope and the death of Alistair Wilson

"He was bewildered by the name, that it was not addressed to himself, and there was nothing in the envelope.

"And I said 'no, he definitely asked for you by name'."

Veronica said there was no sense of danger at that point. Alistair had closed the front door.

She said: "It wasn't threatening. It was just very unusual. But there was no fear, otherwise I wouldn't have let him go back downstairs. He didn't need to, he was in the house now."

His wife told him they should get the boys down for the night and then try to figure it out.

"He just said he'd go back downstairs and see if the gentleman was still there," she recalled."

The only sense I can make of it is -

1. Alistair did not have much of any conversation with the killer when he first went down, and wasn't told to put anything in it, because he didn't understand the envelope, had closed the door, there was no urgency expressed by Veronica to sort it out then because he was still waiting, and lastly because the killer had no worries that Alistair had discussed anything with Veronica like a demand for money for MrX, meaning he'd have to kill her too as a witness with knowledge of who had sent him.

2. So I think the envelope was probably used solely as a prop to get Alistair to be face on and not guarded bodily while taking it from him, while the killer said something like 'I've been asked to deliver this to you'. And then just shoot him and leave.

3. I think the killer just needed one envelope for this, so he stopped and bought a birthday card rather than a packet of envelopes. Mind you the price of cards, I have to wonder if it might have been cheaper to buy 20 envelopes.

4. I think he wrote Paul on it to extend the face to face with Alistair, assuming he would glance at it and enter into a short dialogue with him such as 'this isn't for me', and hand it back. But I speculate Alistair said thanks and closed the door before looking at it, and then went back up to find out from Veronica whether the killer had actually used his name, and therefore got the right house.

5. I speculate the envelope was not stuck down, because Alistair wouldn't have opened it with someone else's name on the front.

6. I think the intention was only to kill Alistair, and the first encounter didn't go to plan because he was aware there were people nearby, at the hotel, perhaps arriving, leaving or just walking past, who would have heard the gunshots and possibly might have been able to identify him as he turned to make his escape.

7. It was only by chance that Alistair decided to go and see if he was still there and hand it back to him, and the killer might even have been called back to take the envelope, rather than waiting at the door expecting him to come back.

JMO

So all in all, based on the above reasoning, and apparent local knowledge of placement of cctv, possible fear of being identified, I think it could be someone local or previously local to the area, but not someone Alistair would recognise, carrying out a hit for someone. JMO

Quoting from an old BBC article dated 27 Nov 2017 - The mysterious envelope and the death of Alistair Wilson

"He was bewildered by the name, that it was not addressed to himself, and there was nothing in the envelope.

"And I said 'no, he definitely asked for you by name'."

Veronica said there was no sense of danger at that point. Alistair had closed the front door.

She said: "It wasn't threatening. It was just very unusual. But there was no fear, otherwise I wouldn't have let him go back downstairs. He didn't need to, he was in the house now."

His wife told him they should get the boys down for the night and then try to figure it out.

"He just said he'd go back downstairs and see if the gentleman was still there," she recalled."

The only sense I can make of it is -

1. Alistair did not have much of any conversation with the killer when he first went down, and wasn't told to put anything in it, because he didn't understand the envelope, had closed the door, there was no urgency expressed by Veronica to sort it out then because he was still waiting, and lastly because the killer had no worries that Alistair had discussed anything with Veronica like a demand for money for MrX, meaning he'd have to kill her too as a witness with knowledge of who had sent him.

2. So I think the envelope was probably used solely as a prop to get Alistair to be face on and not guarded bodily while taking it from him, while the killer said something like 'I've been asked to deliver this to you'. And then just shoot him and leave.

3. I think the killer just needed one envelope for this, so he stopped and bought a birthday card rather than a packet of envelopes. Mind you the price of cards, I have to wonder if it might have been cheaper to buy 20 envelopes.

4. I think he wrote Paul on it to extend the face to face with Alistair, assuming he would glance at it and enter into a short dialogue with him such as 'this isn't for me', and hand it back. But I speculate Alistair said thanks and closed the door before looking at it, and then went back up to find out from Veronica whether the killer had actually used his name, and therefore got the right house.

5. I speculate the envelope was not stuck down, because Alistair wouldn't have opened it with someone else's name on the front.

6. I think the intention was only to kill Alistair, and the first encounter didn't go to plan because he was aware there were people nearby, at the hotel, perhaps arriving, leaving or just walking past, who would have heard the gunshots and possibly might have been able to identify him as he turned to make his escape.

7. It was only by chance that Alistair decided to go and see if he was still there and hand it back to him, and the killer might even have been called back to take the envelope, rather than waiting at the door expecting him to come back.

JMO
I think there's a lot of good points here.

I also think its very hard to make sense of this case.

There's a few points I would raise:

Firstly, the gun. I'm no expert but my understanding is that it was a very small gun more commonly used for defensive rather than offensive purposes. By all accounts it is also very inaccurate. Not the sort of weapon you would choose for a planned killing. Although of course it may be that this was the only weapon that the gunman could get hold of. Alastair was shot several times and didn't die immedicably.

The sequence of events when AW went back in to the house still puzzles me. The idea he just goes back outside to see if the gentleman was still there just strikes me as really odd as is the idea the gunman just hung around on the off chance AW might reappear. Even if AW was only inside 3-4 minutes then the gunman would have been several hundred yards away before AW reappeared. If he didn't shoot him first time because of the risk of people hearing gunshots etc, surely hanging around increased the risk of being spotted and why would the risk of being heard be lower second time round? It was only a short time later.

To me it makes much more sense if AW was always going back outside and explains why the gunman was still there. That though is not the the official line.

Of course we only have one witness, Veronica, and she didn't witness much first hand either. We also know that not all details of the conversation between VW and AW have been released. Those might make better sense of everything. Perhaps AW didn't tell VW everything or wasn't completely truthful to her?

Using the envelope as a distraction technique is certainly plausible. I still remain curious why the police decided to bring the letter up again after so many years. There's next to no chance the general public will provide any help on it. I assume there was a specific reason the police were asking and it was aimed at specific individuals. Another problem with the envelope is how did the gunman know AW would bring it back out with him?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back