UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
why would the risk of being heard be lower second time round? It was only a short time later.
Because we know no one did hear them, so the witness/es who saw them talking on the doorstep were no longer there by the time Alistair came back.
Another problem with the envelope is how did the gunman know AW would bring it back out with him?
We don't know if he did. Maybe he thought he'd bungled it and was walking away when Alistair reappeared and called him back? I don't think it was immediate that Veronica heard the shots.

(Speculation)

The odd thing about today's developments is the extent of the team being committed to the new investigation. The normal procedure is for a case review by a senior officer followed by a decision on whether there is any basis for further work. Unless such a case review has taken place but not been mentioned what has been announced goes against protocol. It suggests they have some new information to support further work.

The odd thing about today's developments is the extent of the team being committed to the new investigation. The normal procedure is for a case review by a senior officer followed by a decision on whether there is any basis for further work. Unless such a case review has taken place but not been mentioned what has been announced goes against protocol. It suggests they have some new information to support further work.
Perhaps, perhaps not.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Johnson stated, “They will conduct a thorough reinvestigation of this murder."

It looks as if they have no new information and have been instructed to start at the beginning, with a new team coming in to look at it from a different angle.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Johnson stated, “They will conduct a thorough reinvestigation of this murder."

It looks as if they have no new information and have been instructed to start at the beginning, with a new team coming in to look at it from a different angle.

JMO but I've always thought the previous investigation team(s) became headless chickens after the first few weeks/months. The planning objection theory was the final straw for me. I wonder if it was for the family too. I've always thought it was mistaken identity (as suggested by the wife) and someone else was lucky that night. Hardest murders to solve are where there is absolutely no connection between victim and perpetrator. MOO

I'm delighted that a new team will review the whole case from scratch.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Which is completely in conflict with the usual process unless there is a basis for a new investigation. The only reasons I have seen in past cases is either new evidence or some serious concerns around previous investigations (as happened in, for example, the Stephen Lawrence and Daniel Morgan cases). But, whatever doubts we may have about past efforts, there has been no suggestion of the sort of concerns which drove the new investigations in the Lawrence and Morgan cases (essentially proven corruption in the original investigations). Of course, it does not mean that either such concerns have not been raised or that a senior officer review has not taken place. It could be that they have chosen not to reveal it.

Which is completely in conflict with the usual process unless there is a basis for a new investigation. The only reasons I have seen in past cases is either new evidence or some serious concerns around previous investigations (as happened in, for example, the Stephen Lawrence and Daniel Morgan cases). But, whatever doubts we may have about
Could it be that the family has made a serious complaint? Would that have prompted this?

JMO but I've always thought the previous investigation team(s) became headless chickens after the first few weeks/months. The planning objection theory was the final straw for me. I wonder if it was for the family too. I've always thought it was mistaken identity (as suggested by the wife) and someone else was lucky that night. Hardest murders to solve are where there is absolutely no connection between victim and perpetrator. MOO

Yep, and this is why the Lord Advocate has decided that it needs a new team and a fresh look.

But it remains to be seen if we get any positive developments.

The mistaken identity idea to me cannot be 100% ruled out although I know the police have pretty much done do. The big issue is that the person who turned up, went to AWs house and asked for him by name. So if it was mistaken identity it was a case of it being the "wrong" AW rather than a random wrong person.

Having reread a few bits it's seems clear AW didn't recognise the person. So he didn't personally know them, in person at least.

One of the big factors of course is that we have no idea if this person was acting on their own accord or for someone else. I wonder if it could be something other than what we would usually consider as mistaken identity. If this person was acting for someone else could it be they were deliberately given false information about AW? so the right person in one way but would explain why apparently AW had no idea what was going on.

I think the big elephant in the room is that we do not have the details of the conversation between AW and the caller and in turn the conversation between AW and VW. Whatever information the police hold on that may instantly rule out mistaken identity or a number of other potential scenarios.

I feel it could have something to do with the reason he was leaving his job. It just seems too much of a coincidence to me that this happened when there was a major change happening in his life. Maybe he kept to himself the real reason for seeking that change, and gave an excuse. One thing I think for certain is that he wasn't happy to continue at the bank.

IMO

I should have raised an additional point in my previous posts. It is odd that the Advocate General Dorothy Bain has been to the fore in the recent development. Police Scotland do not report to her and she has no operational authority to direct such an investigation. This lies with the Justice Secretary in the Scottish government who has responsibility for policing. Bain's authority is limited to and similar to that or a coroner in terms of investigation. Given this odd confusion of roles at the heart of the Scottish government and the recent civil war within the SNP I wonder if what we are seeing has more to do with internal party struggles than the case itself, albeit that the families unhappiness with past investigations may have provided a catalyst.

The Lord Advocate can issue instructions and guidelines to the Police and prosecutors, as she has done with this case. I doubt it had anything to do with the political situation here in Scotland. Her decision will likely be because it has been nearly 20 years and there has been little to no movement recently.

The Lord Advocate can issue instructions and guidelines to the Police and prosecutors, as she has done with this case. I doubt it had anything to do with the political situation here in Scotland. Her decision will likely be because it has been nearly 20 years and there has been little to no movement recently.
The Lord Advocate can issue instruction regarding a prosecution. She cannot make an operational order to the police as that power is reserved to the Justice Secretary. In practice the Lord Advocate, acting under her coronial powers, can pursue an investigation (but requires any instruction to the police for their assistance to be from the Justice Secretary as the reporting line for Police Scotland). It is the apparent blurring of cabinet responsibilities in this case which is so unusual (along with the previously mentioned apparent absence of the usual reasons for a new full investigation as opposed to a case review).

The Lord Advocate can issue instruction regarding a prosecution. She cannot make an operational order to the police as that power is reserved to the Justice Secretary. In practice the Lord Advocate, acting under her coronial powers, can pursue an investigation (but requires any instruction to the police for their assistance to be from the Justice Secretary as the reporting line for Police Scotland). It is the apparent blurring of cabinet responsibilities in this case which is so unusual (along with the previously mentioned apparent absence of the usual reasons for a new full investigation as opposed to a case review).
I know that she can't issue an order. She issued an instruction and that is what is getting carried out.

And this is why the Lord Advocate has stepped in.

The mistaken identity idea to me cannot be 100% ruled out although I know the police have pretty much done do. The big issue is that the person who turned up, went to AWs house and asked for him by name. So if it was mistaken identity it was a case of it being the "wrong" AW rather than a random wrong person.

Having reread a few bits it's seems clear AW didn't recognise the person. So he didn't personally know them, in person at least.

One of the big factors of course is that we have no idea if this person was acting on their own accord or for someone else. I wonder if it could be something other than what we would usually consider as mistaken identity. If this person was acting for someone else could it be they were deliberately given false information about AW? so the right person in one way but would explain why apparently AW had no idea what was going on.

I think the big elephant in the room is that we do not have the details of the conversation between AW and the caller and in turn the conversation between AW and VW. Whatever information the police hold on that may instantly rule out mistaken identity or a number of other potential scenarios.
I recall from earlier in this thread that there were a dozen people in that area with the same name and I believe 14 Crescent-named streets in the town. A mistaken identity murder might never be solved. That's where I think this one is and will remain. The envelope with Paul on it makes no sense for that very reason.

I recall from earlier in this thread that there were a dozen people in that area with the same name and I believe 14 Crescent-named streets in the town. A mistaken identity murder might never be solved. That's where I think this one is and will remain. The envelope with Paul on it makes no sense for that very reason.
The person who orchestrated this hit needed Alistair Wilson dead, on that date, so a mistaken identity murder wouldn't have solved their problem. I think they would not have given up if that was their mindset and the right Alistair Wilson would have been killed within a reasonably short timescale, not necessarily in the same set up, OR they would have gone into hiding immediately, which would have been obvious to everyone who knew them and to the police, or come forward to the police to identify who posed this mortal danger to them, exposing the extortion if there was any, and seeking protection. This person wasn't prepared to get their own hands dirty, but the right victim would have known immediately who was behind it and would still be alive with this knowledge. I don't think they would just carry on their daily lives and ignore the danger they were in and I believe police would have investigated this angle, IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PandorasBox83
Back