UK UK - Ann Heron, 44, found at home with throat cut, Darlington, 3 August 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How can it be accurate to say the car seen parked at the house at 4.45 was the same one seen exiting the driveway at 5.05 - neither of the witnesses who saw the speeding car were the same ones who saw the car parked at the house?

What happened to the blue Leyland Sherpa van that was seen parked at the bottom of the drive - was the sightings of this before or after the 5.05 speeding blue car?
Yes the 'Trident ' van was found and eliminated. It is a convenient turning point at the roadside.

Bear in mind that nobody knew about the affair until a week after the murder, so PH could not of mentioned 'hoping to catch a glimpse of his mistress' when he was first interviewed by the police. So what did he say his reason for driving the long way back to work was in his original statement?
That is a very good point.

Very cool!
''Jen Jarvie, Association of British Investigators (ABI) Investigator of the Year, and Jaz Khan, a former Detective Superintendent who led on major crime at West Yorkshire Police, have gone into business together with an exciting and sought after new private investigation agency.

The pair met at York St John University when Jaz joined the Professional Policing team where Jen is a lecturer. They got chatting and found a common understanding and interest in investigations, each recognising each other's potential.

Combining forces

The lecturers have earned their stripes in two very different areas that in combination, make a formidable team.

Alongside her role as an academic with a solid a background in death investigation, forensic medicine, and crime scene analysis, Jen was already working alone as a cold case investigator. It was her work on the unsolved murder case of Ann Heron that led to national recognition and the most prestigious award in her field, the Zena Scott Archer Investigator of the Year.

She was looking for a business partner to expand the business when Jaz joined York St John as a Visiting Lecturer.

Jaz is a former Detective Superintendent who has previously led on both Major and Serious Organised Crime. Having investigated numerous high profile cases, he’s received several Judges Commendations for his work.

He finished his 30 year policing career in the 4th largest crime city in the country, Leeds.

He says: “One of our aims is to forge better relations within the Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) community and represent families and victims throughout the local area.''
www.jarvie-khan.co.uk is a better source!

ADMIN NOTE:

Stop the rudeness and back and forth bickering this thread or Time Outs will be issued.

We are always fortunate to have Verified Experts in our discussions. Members are entitled to apply however much weight they wish to what a Verified member has to say, but do NOT bicker with them or make rude comments. If you disagree with what a Verified Expert contributes, either state it respectfully or scroll and roll.

Thank you for replying, the podcast perhaps did edit it unfairly but the impression it gave was not as convincing as maybe intended . As you said you have seen all of this other information. Based on it, do you think Benson did it?
Very grateful to have @Jen Jarvie here and hope you have had no abuse. I posted this a while back and just wanted to ask again Jen, with the extra evidence you have seen, do you think Benson must have done it?

I don't know if you are not allowed to say but it would put to bed any speculation online from people here. We dont know any of the extra evidence admittedly but looking again, the husband seems most likely. I watched the programme and didnt initially think it was him but unless you know otherwise, I can see why he was arrested. Occam's Razor points to him. Do you think it was Benson?

Very grateful to have @Jen Jarvie here and hope you have had no abuse. I posted this a while back and just wanted to ask again Jen, with the extra evidence you have seen, do you think Benson must have done it?

I don't know if you are not allowed to say but it would put to bed any speculation online from people here. We dont know any of the extra evidence admittedly but looking again, the husband seems most likely. I watched the programme and didnt initially think it was him but unless you know otherwise, I can see why he was arrested. Occam's Razor points to him. Do you think it was Benson?
Thank you, I really appreciate that. The documentary didn't portray Peter as he actually is. I agree he didn't come over well. He was hoodwinked to give a story of 80s misogyny which when edited didn't look great on him - times were very different then.
Statistically (80 ish percent depending on geographical location) it is someone known and usuallya partner. Peter Heron has an alibi from 2pm to 6pm with witnesses that include an off duty police officer, and people Peter actually spoke to. The case is however, littered with poor decisions on all parts from 1990 - 2005 to now.

The only evidence the police had against Peter was the DNA on his wife in his home ( nothing exceptional there) and the fact he initially lied about his journey route home. In the initial lie he would implicate him more. When his actual route was given it does give him a coverdd alibi, so the initial lie didn't benefit him - just a stupid thing to do.

There are recent developments which will be published in the media in the next week or so. Once they are public, I'll be able to elaborate more.

Regarding Benson, yes I believe he is a viable suspect. This is simplified but based on antecedents, efit, witness statements, psychiatric reports, and interviews with those who knew him, location and reason to be near, the car, his description, the confession. Hope that helps.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. The documentary didn't portray Peter as he actually is. I agree he didn't come over well. He was hoodwinked to give a story of 80s misogyny which when edited didn't look great on him - times were very different then.
Statistically (80 ish percent depending on geographical location) it is someone known and usuallya partner. Peter Heron has an alibi from 2pm to 6pm with witnesses that include an off duty police officer, and people Peter actually spoke to. The case is however, littered with poor decisions on all parts from 1990 - 2005 to now.

The only evidence the police had against Peter was the DNA on his wife in his home ( nothing exceptional there) and the fact he initially lied about his journey route home. In the initial lie he would implicate him more. When his actual route was given it does give him a coverdd alibi, so the initial lie didn't benefit him - just a stupid thing to do.

There are recent developments which will be published in the media in the next week or so. Once they are public, I'll be able to elaborate more.

Regarding Benson, yes I believe he is a viable suspect. This is simplified but based on antecedents, efit, witness statements, psychiatric reports, and interviews with those who knew him, location and reason to be near, the car, his description, the confession. Hope that helps.
Hi Jen, great to have you here.

Did he ever say why he took that route back to the office from the meeting?

Durham Constabulary have ruled Michael Benson out in the Ann Heron murder investigation. A spokeswoman for the force said: "Durham Constabulary has undertaken considerable investigation into Michael Benson. We have evaluated the information gathered and have determined that Michael Benson is not and never has been a suspect in this case."

Durham Constabulary have ruled Michael Benson out in the Ann Heron murder investigation. A spokeswoman for the force said: "Durham Constabulary has undertaken considerable investigation into Michael Benson. We have evaluated the information gathered and have determined that Michael Benson is not and never has been a suspect in this case."

Thank you @CSIAngus

Hi Jen, great to have you here.

Did he ever say why he took that route back to the office from the meeting?
Thank you. Peter took the longer journey back to see if he could see his lady friend and wave. As it happened she was not walking her dog as usual so carried onto the office. Hope that helps.

Hi Jen, i have a couple of questions for you regarding the route home that day:

1. If the affair between Mr Heron and his mistress had been kept secret, would he have continued to lie to the police about his journey home that afternoon?

2. The witnesses who say they saw Mr Heron drive via Croft from the meeting to his office, were these statements taken before or after he had changed his story of his route home?

Thanks.

Hi Jen, i have a couple of questions for you regarding the route home that day:

1. If the affair between Mr Heron and his mistress had been kept secret, would he have continued to lie to the police about his journey home that afternoon?

2. The witnesses who say they saw Mr Heron drive via Croft from the meeting to his office, were these statements taken before or after he had changed his story of his route home?

Thanks.
I can't say either way about what Peter Heron might have said in those circumstances. However, the initial lie he told was actually was more detrimental- so the truth actually was better.
Peter openly admitted when asked about the affair. The statement I think you're referring to was not actually Peter that was seen. For reasons I can't as yet go into at the moment the statement is incorrect. At the time of this alleged sighting Peter Heron was in a meeting with three other people. This was always his statement and the witness, in my opinion could not have seen Peter Heron.

Hope that helps

Thank you Jen, and thank you for letting us know that more developments are being published soon. It seems in the last couple of years the case is getting real attention despite the time that has passed. Will be interesting to see what is published.

Thank you Jen, and thank you for letting us know that more developments are being published soon. It seems in the last couple of years the case is getting real attention despite the time that has passed. Will be interesting to see what is published.
Thank you - it is definitely worth waiting for.

I can't say either way about what Peter Heron might have said in those circumstances. However, the initial lie he told was actually was more detrimental- so the truth actually was better.
Peter openly admitted when asked about the affair. The statement I think you're referring to was not actually Peter that was seen. For reasons I can't as yet go into at the moment the statement is incorrect. At the time of this alleged sighting Peter Heron was in a meeting with three other people. This was always his statement and the witness, in my opinion could not have seen Peter Heron.

Hope that helps
Thanks for your reply.

The statement you mentioned is not the one i was referring to. I wanted to know that if there were any witnesses to Mr Heron's drive from the meeting to his office via Croft that afternoon, did they come forward with the sighting before or after he had changed his story from the original one he had told the police?

TIA

Hi Jen

Did anything come of these developments? I can't find anything recent in the press. Thanks

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallowed_disaster164
Back