Found Safe UK - Antonino Coppola, 23, from Richmond, Surrey, missing from Bow, East London, 16 Sep 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There must be doorbell CCTV somewhere as at least that would give a clue as too where Antonio headed. All we know if which way he turned after the station but he could have gone back on himself or anything. If he fell into the river I think the nearest water is Limehouse cut. One particular side of this location looks pretty hazardous.
Limehouse cut is the place I mentioned previously. Most would rule out as not in the direction he turned but he could have gone back on himself.
I am now thinking about how long it could take for a person who has passed away in water to re-surface so if anyone wants some further details on this here is a link.
How long does it take for a dead body to float to the surface after drowning ? - Quora

Last edited:
Latest update from Chi l’ha Visto tonight (I’ll post a link as soon as it becomes available):
  • Still no news about Antonino’s whereabouts;
  • Antonino and his flat mate, Ciro, should have got off the train at Bromley-by-Bow, but he felt sick and they stopped at Bow Road;
  • After waiting on the platform with their luggage for 25-30 mins, Ciro went out looking for him taking the luggage with him;
  • In a phone conversation with the CHLV reporter, Ciro says that CCTV shows Antonino throwing up as he comes out of the station, after which he looks back as if he’s embarrassed that he’s been seen (or so Ciro thinks);
  • It’s confirmed that he turned right as he came out of the station;
  • Last week’s appeal generated a great response, esp. people wanting to help, both in London and in Italy, but no concrete leads;
  • Ciro keeps posting about Antonino on Instagram.
The whole episode is now available at Chi l'ha visto? - RaiPlay You need to register to watch Rai programmes but it’s safe and easily done from UK. For Antonino’s case you must fast forward half an hour or so into the programme.

Last week’s appeal is available here
Chi l'ha Visto - Scomparsi - Antonino - La scheda

Yes, 20 December to 10 January. A tidal river in December is a bit different from a canal in September, but how bodies behave in water can be unpredictable. It's definitely worth considering. What/where is the canal you mentioned @SaintGertrude?
Here is a link to the walk along Limehouse Cut https://www.imvisitinglondon.com/limehousecut.html
If you look on the map from Bow station it is not a great distance although not the route we have been looking at due to him turning in a different direction.
upload_2021-9-30_12-17-24.png

Let’s all be mindful that AC’s family could be reading this thread
It will be good if someone searching for AC does read all the ideas on Websleuths as may give some further clues and places to search. Not everyone is aware of what happens in drowning instances and the link is there if they choose to read. When Anthony Knott's family were looking for him they were grateful for any leads good or bad. Sadly Anthony was found in the river in Lewes and I do hope that we will have a more positive outcome with AC.

I'm really surprised so many people now think this is a voluntary disappearance when, to me, the fact he was seen vomiting on CCTV acts as further evidence that claiming to feel ill was true, not an excuse or a ruse. Would anyone like to explain their reasoning? Do people think he deliberately made himself vomit? Pretended to vomit? And if so why, seeing the person he would have lied to wasn't there to see him? Do you think it was planned or spontaneous? If the latter, he would have had no certainty there was a camera to capture it for posterity either. I don't really understand and would like to.

ETA: And as I said upthread, if he wanted a voluntary disappearance to look like something more sinister, surely he wouldn't have picked a situation when someone was obviously going to raise the alarm in very short order?
Yes I agree with your thinking too. Puzzled by the logic of voluntary missing because he was seen vomiting too.

Perhaps not relevant, but thought I'd mention is as not seen it in the thread. Nausea and Vomiting can also be a symptom of severe anxiety/a panic attack. It's something I've personally experienced when feeling suicidal. That being said, nothing else I really see points that way.

Good point! I was thinking of it along slightly different lines of 'knowing he was about to make himself missing and not see his family for a long time' (go underground, as opposed to suicide) so therefore was sick. Originally I assumed due to his age that it was an acute appendicitis situation. JMO MOO

I've watched the Italian broadcast now. It's a shame the friend from the platform (name: Ciro) wasn't seen on a video link, but you could hear him speak and they gave him Italian subtitles (not sure if that was due to his southern accent or the phone line was distant - assume he was in London still?). I noted his speaking style and he didn't do any pauses with ums and ahs. He spoke fast (as most Italians tend to do) but he sped up even more when he was discussing the CCTV and what he saw on the footage. Here is a transcript of what he said. I used google translate from the Italian subtitles so I hope the Italian's in this thread will correct anything that might be incorrect:

Here is the Italian words from his friend Ciro: "
Mi fa non venire con mi - aspettami qua senno devi portarti le valigie. O aspetatto vicino ai binari. Poi doppo mezz'ora, ventticinque minuti mi sono preoccuparto e sono uscito fuori con tutti i baggagli .
Nella prima telecamera dove siamo riusciti a vedere antonino si vede che vomita alza la testa cammina e si giro dirreto , perche li si vede che vomita pero doppo si vede che e come capito girasse la facia per paura che aveva vomitato e la gente lo avesse visto pero perche doppo aver vomitato non tornare nella stazione "

And here is the google translate into English (Italians please correct this if needs doing):

"It makes me not come with me - wait for me here otherwise you have to bring your suitcases. Or wait near the tracks. Then after half an hour, twenty-five minutes I got worried and went out with all the baggage.
In the first camera where we were able to see Antonino you can see that he vomits raises his head walks and turns directly, because you see him vomiting but then you can see that and as understood he turned his face for fear that he had vomited and people had seen him but because after throwing up don't go back to the station."

I wish we could see him speak on video and see his face and body.

I just googled What does it mean when a person talks fast (thinking about when Ciro sped up speaking about the CCTV and AC turning to look at people nearby). It said 'People interpret fast talking as a sign of nervousness and a lack of self-confidence. Your fast talking can make it appear that you don't think people want to listen to you, or that what you have to say is not important.18 Jul 2014'

I also found this (but it was from an article about spotting liars and of course I'm not at all suggesting he was lying). It said:
5. Mumbling and talking faster than normal.
That might indicate the person is anxious to finish the conversation and avoiding desperately to answer questions.

How to Tell If Someone Is Lying

However, I'm pretty sure talking fast also denotes someone being excited and maybe his Ciro talked faster at that point because there was some evidence he was relieved to talk about? Perhaps.

This is interesting:
How to lie: tell it really quickly | News | The Times

All above is my opinion only JMO MOO. Edited to add the last Times article.

Last edited:
I've watched the Italian broadcast now. It's a shame the friend from the platform (name: Ciro) wasn't seen on a video link, but you could hear him speak and they gave him Italian subtitles (not sure if that was due to his southern accent or the phone line was distant - assume he was in London still?). I noted his speaking style and he didn't do any pauses with ums and ahs. He spoke fast (as most Italians tend to do) but he sped up even more when he was discussing the CCTV and what he saw on the footage. Here is a transcript of what he said. I used google translate from the Italian subtitles so I hope the Italian's in this thread will correct anything that might be incorrect:

Mi fa non venire con mi - aspettami qua senno devi portarti le valigie. O aspetatto vicino ai binari. Poi doppo mezz'ora, ventticinque minuti mi sono preoccuparto e sono uscito fuori con tutti i baggagli .
Nella prima telecamera dove siamo riusciti a vedere antonino si vede che vomita alza la testa cammina e si giro dirreto , perche li si vede che vomita pero doppo si vede che e come capito girasse la facia per paura che aveva vomitato e la gente lo avesse visto pero perche doppo aver vomitato non tornare nella stazione "

And here is the google translate into English (Italians please correct this if needs doing):

"It makes me not come with me - wait for me here otherwise you have to bring your suitcases. Or wait near the tracks. Then after half an hour, twenty-five minutes I got worried and went out with all the baggage.

In the first camera where we were able to see Antonino you can see that he vomits raises his head walks and turns directly, because you see him vomiting but then you can see that and as understood he turned his face for fear that he had vomited and people had seen him but because after throwing up don't go back to the station."

I just googled What does it mean when a person talks fast (thinking about when Ciro sped up speaking about the CCTV and AC turning to look at people nearby). It said 'People interpret fast talking as a sign of nervousness and a lack of self-confidence. Your fast talking can make it appear that you don't think people want to listen to you, or that what you have to say is not important.18 Jul 2014'

I also found this (but it was from an article about spotting liars and of course I'm not at all suggesting he was lying). It said:
That might indicate the person is anxious to finish the conversation and avoiding desperately to answer questions.

However, I'm pretty sure talking fast also denotes someone being excited and maybe his Ciro talked faster at that point because there was some evidence he was relieved to talk about? Perhaps.

This is interesting:

Perché means why as well as because. So he's saying, why didn't he come back into the station after throwing up? Which is what I wondered too.

This is interesting:

Well done @Officer Dibble I hadn’t thought about doing a literal translation.

At the beginning, the sentence starting with Mi fa… means:
  • He says to me ‘Don’t come with me’
He later talks about “the first camera” where you can see Antonino. So he must have been caught by at least another one, maybe where he turns right at the exit?

Well done @Officer Dibble I hadn’t thought about doing a literal translation.

At the beginning, the sentence starting with Mi fa… means:
  • He says to me ‘Don’t come with me’
He later talks about “the first camera” where you can see Antonino. So he must have been caught by at least another one, maybe where he turns right at the exit?

Thanks for making sense of that. Interesting more than one camera.

If they were allegedly moving house and you assume they had a lot of bags as bags have been mentioned, how did Ciro get from the platform with all those bags? Has that ever been covered before? Also were they really moving house? Did the bags have something else in them? JMO MOO

If they were allegedly moving house and you assume they had a lot of bags as bags have been mentioned, how did Ciro get from the platform with all those bags? Has that ever been covered before? Also were they really moving house? Did the bags have something else in them?
They may have been making the move over several journeys, so possibly the baggage wasn't all their worldly goods.

As for talking fast, it could just be that he's given the account so many times now that he just rattles it off.

I live in London and am happy to meet with people to search for him, anyone else?
I live quite a distance so would be unable to join in the search. I would agree with what others have said about looking in alleyways and hidden places, local homeless shelters. I know when Anthony Knott went missing in Lewes people looked in bins but bearing in mind his missing was late evening and Antonino Coppola was a daytime disappearance is not so likely. There is also the case in Newhaven. East Sussex where a 28-year-old man whose body was found at a waste disposal site as may have fallen asleep in a commercial bin. Are there any warehouses, garages, commercial buildings nearby where Antonio could have gone for a snooze and either been shut in or had another Asthma attack and sadly passed in a corner unseen.

Last edited:

This is interesting:

I would guess that the 'near the tracks' translation means the friend waited on the platform, not on the main concourse, which would be reasonable given he was expecting they would carry on their journey shortly.

AC had his backpack with seemingly all his important documents and items with him.

Still wish we knew more from friend about AC's demeanor and what had transpired earlier in journey.

And I still feel, in the current absence of more information, this was intentional, for whatever reason, ie no accident or kidnapping befell him on Bow Road.

That he was 'sick', vomited, I suppose it is to be asked whether this was a mild sputum eruption, or a full blown stomach contents explosion. The latter might indicate food poisoning or gastritis.

Again, going back to journey, to be so ill, AC must have been looking bad or telling friend he felt unwell for some time en route - which we have not heard about, only from the point of reaching Bow.

Last edited:
I would guess that the 'near the tracks' translation means the friend waited on the platform, not on the main concourse, which would be reasonable given he was expecting they would carry on their journey shortly.

AC had his backpack with seemingly all his important documents and items with him.

Still wish we knew more from friend about AC's demeanor and what had transpired earlier in journey.

And I still feel, in the current absence of more information, this was intentional, for whatever reason, ie no accident or kidnapping befell him on Bow Road.

That he was 'sick', vomited, I suppose it is to be asked whether this was a mild sputum eruption, or a full blown stomach contents explosion. The latter might indicate food poisoning or gastritis.

Again, going back to journey, to be so ill, AC must have been looking bad or telling friend he felt unwell for some time en route - which we have not heard about, only from the point of reaching Bow.
Do the police check bank card movements when someone goes missing. If no signs of life with bank card or mobile this is concerning. If he had a stomach and sickness explosion at the same time a change of clothes may have been needed. Are there any laundrettes nearby where he may have taken any soiled clothes to wash and possible charity shops he may have called into just to tie him over.

There was a post and an image somewhere I saw, where the poster I believe was addressing whether the positioned camera on a building - I think it was on corner or near Mornington Grove - had been checked.

I think they meant the one on the magistrates court building, which if working I suppose might show if he walked on down Bow Road past the court, or if maybe turned down Mornington before coming into camera view.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back