UK UK - Billie-Jo Jenkins, 13, Hastings, Sussex, 15 Feb 1997

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Supporters of the foster father cleared of murdering schoolgirl Billie-Jo Jenkins have called for a new investigation into the unsolved murder.

The 13-year-old was battered over the head with an 18in iron tent peg as she painted patio doors at the family home in Hastings, Sussex on February 15, 1997.

Sion Jenkins, now 63, spent six years in jail before his life sentence was quashed on appeal.

He was formally acquitted in 2006 following two inconclusive retrials.

Sussex police recently revealed it is conducting a forensic review of the unsolved murder.

The Justice for Sion Jenkins website said: “Only now, as the 25th anniversary of the murder is imminent, has there been any acknowledgment that this sad story still has no ending.

“Jo Shiner is the first Chief Constable to have initiated any kind of review of the case. She deserves respect for taking this step..."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/supporters-foster-father-cleared-murdering-26198911

Although obviously pro SJ, this site gives quite a bit of background detail.

For example, I didn't know, or had forgotten, that BJ had been a school friend of their daughter Annie when they had all lived in Bow, East London, and so had moved with them to Hastings.

I had imagined they had decided to foster an unknown, not a girl already known to them.

Justice for Siôn Jenkins - The Case of Siôn Jenkins

What did Lois Jenkins say in relation to whether she had ever seen Sion hit BJ?

I feel she and the four daughters would have seen, heard or been told something by BJ.
Two friends of murdered teenager Billie-Jo Jenkins have told how she confided in them that her foster father had punched her and scratched her neck.

Laura Jane Conway, now 22, told the Old Bailey the 13-year-old had come to school with blood on her face.

Holly Prior, also 22, said the teenager had told her Sion Jenkins had pushed her against a door and scratched her. [...]

The court was shown videos of interviews between Ms Prior and Ms Conway, then aged 13, which were made by police shortly after Billie-Jo died. [...]

Earlier, Mr Jenkins' former wife Lois, 44, recalled how she had also seen the scratch marks, but Billie-Jo had told her she got them because she had been carrying her schoolbag the wrong way and another pupil had pulled it.

Mrs Jenkins also described the former deputy headteacher's "vein-popping" anger when he lost his temper with Billie-Jo.

She said he would sometimes flip and lose control, becoming "red in the face", but said she had never seen Mr Jenkins hit Billie-Jo or threaten her with violence.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Billie-Jo 'attacked by Jenkins'

Billie-Jo had not told an adult because she could not go back to her natural family and there was little realistic chance of her finding a new one if she returned to a children's home.

"In truth, she had nowhere else to go," said Mr Hilliard. "That girl suffered in silence and gave Holly Prior the reason why.

"She was worried that the defendant and Lois Jenkins would lose their jobs."

BBC NEWS | England | Billie-Jo 'suffered in silence'

Sion Jenkins, 48, now of Lymington, Hampshire, told jurors of two incidents when he disciplined Billie-Jo. On one occasion he slapped her face.

The first incident described to jurors in which he disciplined Billie-Jo was when she was 12.

Mr Jenkins said: "I heard a noise upstairs so I went up and Billie was pulling heads off dolls."

He said Esther, his daughter then aged seven, was crying, and he asked Billie-Jo to stop, but when Esther went to stop further damage, Billie-Jo swore at her and grabbed her hair.

"I prised one of Billie's hands off Esther's hair and then slapped her face," he said. [...]

Mr Jenkins said: "I turned Billie's face gently towards Lois and said 'look at your mother'.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Jenkins admits slapping Billie-Jo

"For the first time he admitted he had a temper, previously he had always blanked it out and refused to admit that he had hit me."

She described the reality of life in a household that outwardly appeared to be a happy middle class home, but was anything but. Often, she said, her husband was violent to their four daughters.

Two years after moving to Hastings his wife alleged he carried out his most severe attack, which left her with a perforated eardrum.

"He hit me around the face hard and my head was spinning with the force of it," she said. "I went upstairs and hid in the loft crying. Later I went downstairs and it was as if Sion had forgotten he had hit me."

In statements never read to the court, Annie Jenkins, then 12, said her father had once punched her so hard in the stomach she had to lie down to recover.

When asked about the beatings by police, she said: "But doesn't every family have a naughty stick?"

'Doesn't every family have a naughty stick?'

parts bolded by me

It looks to me as if he admitted the incident one of his daughters was witness to.

Where have we heard recently of a murderer going shopping during the time-window of the murder, and forgetting to take money? Oh yes, Ian Stewart. :rolleyes:

:

"He said Mr Jenkins had failed at first to tell police he had been inside the house that afternoon before going to the DIY store.

Mr Jenkins later said he had gone into the dining room to turn down Billy-Jo's music but had not noticed her on the other side of the patio doors.

"How did he come to give the earlier different version to police? Had he just forgotten or was he lying about it?" asked Mr Hilliard.

Billie-Jo Jenkins died minutes after attack, court told

The foster-father said that when he got back home he realised that he needed some white spirit and so took his two daughters off with him to the hardware shop, Do-It-All. However, it was said that when they got there the step-father realised that he had forgotten to take any means of payment and so returned home, and when they went into the house they found Billie-Jo Jenkins lying in a pool of blood on the patio.

Billie-Jo Jenkins - Unsolved Murder 1997 - Lower Park Road, Hastings, East Sussex - Billie-Jo Jenkins Unsolved Mysteries UK

Former deputy headteacher Sion Jenkins has denied that he misled emergency services to back his claim that a mystery intruder murdered his foster daughter.

Jenkins allegedly told the operator during a 999 call that he had been out for between half to three-quarters of an hour before returning to find 13-year-old Billie-Jo dead by the patio windows she was painting.

The court heard he was out for about a 10-minute period.

Jenkins denies Billie-Jo 999 call was misleading | Daily Mail Online

Jenkins ...never excelled in class. He was a D stream pupil. He was later to claim to have 10 A-grade O-Levels but in reality achieved only four poorly-graded ones.

After leaving school, Jenkins announced he wanted to become a journalist, but instead went to work on a part-time basis for confectionery giant Mars, based in Slough. He was not taken on full-time because of his "uncooperative" attitude.

Jenkins then decided to try his hand at teaching, a career he would later develop through deceit. [...]

When details of his bogus curriculum vitae were exposed, East Sussex County Council was quick to say better checks would be introduced, and the authority issued a statement revealing the extent of Jenkins's lies.

The statement said: "He did not attend the University of Kent and has not obtained a BA (hons) degree, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education, an Advanced Diploma from the Open University or an Msc in Education Management from Kings College London.

"He did not attend Gordonstoun School. This is the information contained in his application for deputy headmaster."

The statement added that Jenkins did obtain a Certificate in Education in 1979 after a three-year training course at Nonnington College of Physical Education.

In focus: Who killed Billie-Jo? | Daily Mail Online

"Mrs Lancaster [the neighbour called by SJ to come to the house] said Jenkins was wearing a blue fleece when he told her that Billie-Jo was dead. She put her arms round him.

Later, the family were at her house and the fleece was left behind as they left.

She said: "I picked up the fleece and Lois said to Sion 'your coat'. He said he didn't want it and she said 'It's freezing out there, take your coat'."

Neighbour: 'I tried to help battered Billie-Jo' | Daily Mail Online

Where have we heard recently of a murderer going shopping during the time-window of the murder, and forgetting to take money? Oh yes, Ian Stewart. :rolleyes:

:

"He said Mr Jenkins had failed at first to tell police he had been inside the house that afternoon before going to the DIY store.

Mr Jenkins later said he had gone into the dining room to turn down Billy-Jo's music but had not noticed her on the other side of the patio doors.

"How did he come to give the earlier different version to police? Had he just forgotten or was he lying about it?" asked Mr Hilliard.

Billie-Jo Jenkins died minutes after attack, court told

The foster-father said that when he got back home he realised that he needed some white spirit and so took his two daughters off with him to the hardware shop, Do-It-All. However, it was said that when they got there the step-father realised that he had forgotten to take any means of payment and so returned home, and when they went into the house they found Billie-Jo Jenkins lying in a pool of blood on the patio.

Billie-Jo Jenkins - Unsolved Murder 1997 - Lower Park Road, Hastings, East Sussex - Billie-Jo Jenkins Unsolved Mysteries UK

Former deputy headteacher Sion Jenkins has denied that he misled emergency services to back his claim that a mystery intruder murdered his foster daughter.

Jenkins allegedly told the operator during a 999 call that he had been out for between half to three-quarters of an hour before returning to find 13-year-old Billie-Jo dead by the patio windows she was painting.

The court heard he was out for about a 10-minute period.

Jenkins denies Billie-Jo 999 call was misleading | Daily Mail Online

Jenkins ...never excelled in class. He was a D stream pupil. He was later to claim to have 10 A-grade O-Levels but in reality achieved only four poorly-graded ones.

After leaving school, Jenkins announced he wanted to become a journalist, but instead went to work on a part-time basis for confectionery giant Mars, based in Slough. He was not taken on full-time because of his "uncooperative" attitude.

Jenkins then decided to try his hand at teaching, a career he would later develop through deceit. [...]

When details of his bogus curriculum vitae were exposed, East Sussex County Council was quick to say better checks would be introduced, and the authority issued a statement revealing the extent of Jenkins's lies.

The statement said: "He did not attend the University of Kent and has not obtained a BA (hons) degree, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education, an Advanced Diploma from the Open University or an Msc in Education Management from Kings College London.

"He did not attend Gordonstoun School. This is the information contained in his application for deputy headmaster."

The statement added that Jenkins did obtain a Certificate in Education in 1979 after a three-year training course at Nonnington College of Physical Education.

In focus: Who killed Billie-Jo? | Daily Mail Online

"Mrs Lancaster [the neighbour called by SJ to come to the house] said Jenkins was wearing a blue fleece when he told her that Billie-Jo was dead. She put her arms round him.

Later, the family were at her house and the fleece was left behind as they left.

She said: "I picked up the fleece and Lois said to Sion 'your coat'. He said he didn't want it and she said 'It's freezing out there, take your coat'."

Neighbour: 'I tried to help battered Billie-Jo' | Daily Mail Online

I feel asleep part way through the documentary (I was exhausted) but woke up later so missed the middle bit. What I did see of the documentary was obvious where the finger was pointing. JMO MOO

I feel asleep part way through the documentary (I was exhausted) but woke up later so missed the middle bit. What I did see of the documentary was obvious where the finger was pointing. JMO MOO
Yes. It's available to watch on My5 which is free to sign up for. My5

The bucket ofwater that daughter Annie had been using to wash the car at the side of the road was on the patio a few feet away from Billie-Jo's body.

The tent peg (murder implement) belonged to the family and had been placed outside that morning, within feet of the french doors Billie-Jo was painting - it was not brought to the scene by the killer.

SJ got in his car when the ambulance turned up. He couldn't justify why he did this when he was interviewed by Trevor McDonald. In the documentary it was said that he had told police it was to close the soft top roof because it had started to rain, but they pointed out that you don't do that from inside that type of sports car, you have to be standing outside the car to do it. They said it might have been to justify any blood they might find inside the car. They said they found a small amount of what could have been blood but it wasn't definitive. When did they examine it? Did he have an opportunity to clean it? He wasn't arrested for something like 11 days.

The expert who examined the blood spray on SJ's clothing and whose evidence was excluded by the judge from the trial because it would have meant delaying the trial, found microscopic particles of green paint and metal in the blood spots, and the tent peg was found to have similar green paint on it. In the interests of justice I cannot think why that judge was concerned about a few months delay.

What I suspect happened is that the daughter who returned her clarinet to the house before being told to go and wait by the car for the trip to buy white spirit heard Billie-Jo's loud music when she went inside. She said she spoke to Billie-Jo before she went back out to the car. SJ originally told police he hadn't been inside the house when he returned from picking up the daughter from her music lesson. Then when the daughters returned to the house after the trip to the DIY store and were to discover Billie-Jo lying dead outside, the radio must have been off and they most likely were asked about this by police - hence SJ changed his story from not being inside the house at all to having gone into the dining room to turn off Billie-Jo's music, but he denied seeing Billie-Jo or speaking to her because that would have been too many changes to his story. IMO

What I find very coincidental is SJ's defence hinged on him seeing a bubble of blood from Billie-Jo's nostril, and there being a big controversy because part of the bin bag Billie-Jo had been sitting on to paint was stuffed up inside her nostril. Did the killer stuff it up her nose to block her breathing and any chance of a recovery?

"Her head was lying on a bin liner - part of which was lodged inside her left nostril, said Mrs Lancaster." Neighbour: 'I tried to help battered Billie-Jo' | Daily Mail Online

We are expected to believe that in 10 minutes a raging murderer went to the back of the house, taking the bucket of water from the roadside with him, found the murder implement there and bludgeoned Billie-Jo to death, without her (an agile and energetic teenager) having time to run into the house or move at all from the spot she was sitting on to paint, knew she was at home alone and that no one else might catch him through the open french doors, and then left quickly as if knowing he only had 10 minutes before the father returned, during which time SJ had already circled back and driven past the house again, without seeing him entering. And there was no sign of a blood covered murderer leaving the scene by anyone else either.

The defence made much of the man witnessed by many with a Safeway bag and red marks on his face, further away in the park opposite the house. The SIO said (on the documentary) he would have had to have gone from sitting on a bench at the other end of the park where he was seen before the murder, to the house, committed the murder and then returned to the same bench afterwards where he was seen by other witnesses after the time of the murder. Presumably knowing he only had a 10 minute window, and not fleeing the area completely. And the red mark was a birth mark.

I got distracted at times when I watched the documentary so I may have missed this, but did it say whether it was normal for Sion to drive 2 of the girls in a tiny 2 seater car?

87Yd8pqteNRJnCXvb0lEwRwgVlt__1az30YX4xAKqNp3p_ywRhvpOGa8He4dbiSOSjNE5Vq6WTDP6qwyYi2ym5Jo6lfgRp2uQBKDCEeywkWg4tD8uweDgF-pADqXl-WWA8ZXjIHJg6xZo0j-B9T5AQ_aJSUx79GwONYBQkJwSonL54o72Ns9qqVdMr9GhVlOhhcQX4Msq_Tlt7yR9fpkNTPGs5N37uDXsdM9Ga9mS65ewGobx6sKQWZp554O_n6FMp6kC91M6fyByok6RHJc4sllUuRUt5ZHnxQFN5g0EVfdRiGckLLylT17eF1Jqtr_LsWkOXTupZ5jdbZtbCLnWaXzYjCVV09xb_kQsaY5nFVP0O12pRIEits8HYt4vC7bJUs-Wnq2-DNb9rT9pVjxZ3H1_s_6qbvKJ-3QVTNGgxMo6l5oTG8MQF-B4A327ac89MnB4q1nfNAVzLwSBaQGVcGEyPE4HNSYifnaV7cW50PX6oHAa2uWJTCuHHOrecza_Q0N6hTmfzPsrp4HTFpWswR5KYvjt7cH3MyeI0jwbD4me1H4pV6c2qOTH5H0uoae5ZaJOaPtfvD89WLiHXB0pCD-7uVxQeYkYuwex4FlxwzpWJ7ViMlHhp81KBLg8cH6pzGvt5pN10jJMIGc1bR8j5SdEXSKGj7kwkei8YBo0yuyL7vklimLlxf7PnNIgwQChE0DTxNg7vq0ArntmKnhQqA=w1253-h937-no

Pic at 4m25s:
My5

I got distracted at times when I watched the documentary so I may have missed this, but did it say whether it was normal for Sion to drive 2 of the girls in a tiny 2 seater car?

87Yd8pqteNRJnCXvb0lEwRwgVlt__1az30YX4xAKqNp3p_ywRhvpOGa8He4dbiSOSjNE5Vq6WTDP6qwyYi2ym5Jo6lfgRp2uQBKDCEeywkWg4tD8uweDgF-pADqXl-WWA8ZXjIHJg6xZo0j-B9T5AQ_aJSUx79GwONYBQkJwSonL54o72Ns9qqVdMr9GhVlOhhcQX4Msq_Tlt7yR9fpkNTPGs5N37uDXsdM9Ga9mS65ewGobx6sKQWZp554O_n6FMp6kC91M6fyByok6RHJc4sllUuRUt5ZHnxQFN5g0EVfdRiGckLLylT17eF1Jqtr_LsWkOXTupZ5jdbZtbCLnWaXzYjCVV09xb_kQsaY5nFVP0O12pRIEits8HYt4vC7bJUs-Wnq2-DNb9rT9pVjxZ3H1_s_6qbvKJ-3QVTNGgxMo6l5oTG8MQF-B4A327ac89MnB4q1nfNAVzLwSBaQGVcGEyPE4HNSYifnaV7cW50PX6oHAa2uWJTCuHHOrecza_Q0N6hTmfzPsrp4HTFpWswR5KYvjt7cH3MyeI0jwbD4me1H4pV6c2qOTH5H0uoae5ZaJOaPtfvD89WLiHXB0pCD-7uVxQeYkYuwex4FlxwzpWJ7ViMlHhp81KBLg8cH6pzGvt5pN10jJMIGc1bR8j5SdEXSKGj7kwkei8YBo0yuyL7vklimLlxf7PnNIgwQChE0DTxNg7vq0ArntmKnhQqA=w1253-h937-no

Pic at 4m25s:
My5
I haven't seen anything said about that anywhere. But interestingly he was actually driving three girls from the music lesson, one of them a friend of Lottie's who shared the music lesson. The friend's mother had taken them to the lesson and it was SJ's turn to pick them up.

There's a reconstruction of the journey with the two daughters going to the DIY store in the Trevor McDonald interview. I can't tell if the girls are in the front next to him or in the back.

Starts at 5:38 in the video

My Aunt had a MG Midget when I was about 10, she'd occasionally drive us kids up and down her drive, my brother in the front seat and me and my sister perched on this little rear bench. I can't anyone being daft enough to go on the road like that.

Using the soft top car would be a good way to get Lottie and Annie to want to go on what I would consider a boring trip to a DIY shop I suppose, maybe that was his reasoning?

Bench isn't really the right way of describing it, it was like this photo - we squashed our legs through the gap in the seats.

Attachments

• MG car.jpg
    MG car.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 26
The one thing that throws me out is the timing.

Can anyone fit it feasibly in the time frame SJ gives?

When was BJ last physically seen by another member of family, other than SJ, on that last day? Has that been recorded?

Fri 2 Jul 2004

A teenager yesterday broke down in tears as she recalled the moment when as a 10-year-old girl she came upon the battered body of her foster sister Billie-Jo Jenkins.

Giving evidence at the appeal of her father, Siôn, Charlotte Jenkins also described her deep confusion after he was accused of murdering Billie-Jo.

Ms Jenkins, now 18, remembered being worried that if she incriminated Jenkins, a deputy headteacher, he might not like her ever again.

She also told the court of appeal that it was possible she may have said to her mother, Lois, that she "knew" her father had killed 13-year-old Billie-Jo.

Sister tells of how she found Billie-Jo's body

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BanPokies1
Back