UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Police are searching for a couple who have gone missing with their newborn baby after their car broke down on a motorway.
Constance Marten and Mark Gordon left the car near junction four of the M61 near Bolton on Thursday night and walked towards Anchor Lane bridge, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.
Officers believe Ms Marten had recently given birth and neither she nor her baby had seen medical professionals.
They are appealing for information.
The bridge the couple walked towards links the Highfield and Little Hulton areas.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Just driven through the South Downs, all be it the other end from where they are expected to be. -4 at 8am and freezing fog. Horrid conditions. Certainly not conditions for camping in a flimsy Argos tent.
I keep remembering the advice for safe sleeping when mine were born, keep room temperature stable at around 18, no co sleeping, use layers and add/remove as necessary. Then I think about this baby and I get so worried.

I keep remembering the advice for safe sleeping when mine were born, keep room temperature stable at around 18, no co sleeping, use layers and add/remove as necessary. Then I think about this baby and I get so worried.
Safe sleep guidance has changed now and it's more a promoting safe cosleeping attitude rather than saying it shouldn't be done at all.

But the rest is the same. Imagine sleeping out in -4.

Absolutely agree and we can't loose sight of this baby is the priority. Adults can do as they please, if they have a child they have a responsibility and that child is priority.
I keep remembering the advice for safe sleeping when mine were born, keep room temperature stable at around 18, no co sleeping, use layers and add/remove as necessary. Then I think about this baby and I get so wo

I really do fear for the baby. it's been quite a long time since the last sighting and I just really hope the baby is alive and well. I do think there may be coercive/controlling aspects to MG and CM's relationship, though, which would put her in danger too.

It is true that her family could be caring for her other children. She posted an album to Facebook showing 2 different children. A boy and a girl who both looked lovely and healthy at the time. <modsnip> I really hope she contacts her Mothee for help, surely this is “ Rock bottom”.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> ... with what appears to be extremely sudden isolation from her family at the same time she met MG in 2016 and his former conviction. Her mum described her as headstrong but it seems to me like he's completely worn that away. that isn't to say that she has no agency in this situation - but agency is very different from blame.

<rsbm>

She strikes me as tough though. You don't give birth in a car, walk miles on end in January weather and sleep rough with a newborn without some guts.
This is very true. I couldn't imagine doing this having just given birth. I just hope she delivered everything properly and hasn't developed an infection. It does really worry me there has been no sighting in near enough a month :(

I'm not sure why her estrangement would impact her family having any children? Are you U.K. or US based? In the UK, where a child is taken from their parents as they are deemed unable to care for them, social services will often seek to place them with family as kinship foster carers. That doesn't require the parents to be in touch with the parents at all. <snipped to reply>

I’m Canadian and our laws are very similar to UK. The point I was intending to make was not to debate the fact SS would place children with a family member with or without consideration to estrangement between the respective parties.

It was that CM was reportedly has been estranged from her family for a period of 6 years, which one can generally assume to include her mother. IF her mother had custody of any prior children and CM chose to not have contact with her, what would be the point of her mother issuing a pleading public letter subtly remind her about that? If that were so it comes across to me as spiteful, even verging on cruel, driving away her daughter even further. I would sooner believe CM’s mother genuinely wants this saga to have a happy ending, as do I.

I agree with you completely on this, with what appears to be extremely sudden isolation from her family at the same time she met MG in 2016 and his former conviction. Her mum described her as headstrong but it seems to me like he's completely worn that away. that isn't to say that she has no agency in this situation - but agency is very different from blame.
When headstrong people go into the mode of "saving" or "protecting" people they love, even in cases where they are actually enabling, it is impossible to diffuse the situation. It becomes obsessive. JMO.

In terms of social services, they would be involved in any pregnancy that is fathered by a known sex offender. It would then be down to CM and MG to prove they are fit to raise a child. This can involve a lot of hoop jumping and any hostility to this is seen as unwillingness to engage.
Often times SS will insist the woman leaves the man they deem as dangerous early in pregnancy to show she is able to keep away from him as her ability to keep herself safe shows she would be better able to keep a baby safe.
Speculation of course but it SS have told CM to leave MG and she has refused this alone child be used as evidence she can't protect a newborn.
SS also look at family support as a big aspect of assessing parents. If she is cut off from her own parents and his are in the USA then this could be another black mark against them as they would have little support.
I think if she had other children removed before, and she did nothing to better her situation before this pregnancy then she likely knew before getting pregnant that the baby would be taken into care.
I believe I read she had never seen a medical professional this pregnancy so it's likely she's decided early on to hide this baby and everything fell apart last minuet with the car fire / not making it to Ireland.

In terms of social services, they would be involved in any pregnancy that is fathered by a known sex offender. It would then be down to CM and MG to prove they are fit to raise a child. This can involve a lot of hoop jumping and any hostility to this is seen as unwillingness to engage.
Often times SS will insist the woman leaves the man they deem as dangerous early in pregnancy to show she is able to keep away from him as her ability to keep herself safe shows she would be better able to keep a baby safe.
Speculation of course but it SS have told CM to leave MG and she has refused this alone child be used as evidence she can't protect a newborn.
SS also look at family support as a big aspect of assessing parents. If she is cut off from her own parents and his are in the USA then this could be another black mark against them as they would have little support.
I think if she had other children removed before, and she did nothing to better her situation before this pregnancy then she likely knew before getting pregnant that the baby would be taken into care.
I believe I read she had never seen a medical professional this pregnancy so it's likely she's decided early on to hide this baby and everything fell apart last minuet with the car fire / not making it to Ireland.

One thing we don’t know - is MG a registered sex offender in the UK?

This report indicates he is on the list but only refers to Florida records.

And indeed that is factually correct. Florida records also reflect that he was deported however all other information is “unknown”.

It appears SS would only be involves if MG is currently a registered sex offender in the UK, a fact that LE and the media curiously seem to be side-stepping away from, neither confirming whether he is or not.

BBM

Having a family of your own​

All the time you are on the sex offenders’ register, you stand a good chance of there being some involvement with children’s services if you choose to start a family of your own. Once you come off the register, you should be treated no differently to any other couple looking to start their own family.

One thing we don’t know - is MG a registered sex offender in the UK?

This report indicates he is on the list but only refers to Florida records.

And indeed that is factually correct. Florida records also reflect that he was deported however all other information is “unknown”.

It appears SS would only be involves if MG is currently a registered sex offender in the UK, a fact that LE and the media curiously seem to be side-stepping away from, neither confirming whether he is or not.

BBM

Having a family of your own​

All the time you are on the sex offenders’ register, you stand a good chance of there being some involvement with children’s services if you choose to start a family of your own. Once you come off the register, you should be treated no differently to any other couple looking to start their own family.
It will be part of information sharing. His sex offending will be on his records here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IdreamofJeannie