UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
28 February 2023 01:35

Update in search for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon​

Shortly before 21:30hrs on Monday, 27 February, a member of the public reported a sighting of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon in Stanmer Villas, Brighton.

Officers from Sussex Police attended the location and the pair were arrested. They remain in custody.

The baby is still missing and an urgent search operation is taking place in the area.

Anyone with information that could assist the search is asked to call 999.

Because they've been found without the baby?

No. There must be something else, and will be interesting to see. 'Endangering the life of a minor' or such??

Possibly arrested under Section 46 of the Children Act 1989 to place the child in Police Protection. I don't know but likely something ongoing prior to birth, IMO.

Last edited:
Interesting that none of the Press reports are detailing his criminal record. No mention, except that the Daily Mail calls him her ‘rapist boyfriend’.

The previous statement released by the police more or less said ‘there are reasons we are concerned, you’re just going to have to trust us on this’.

If they are charging MG with various crimes Press reporting will now be subject to all the sun-judiciary restrictions. They will say what the charges are, if charged, but not details, evidence etc, until any trial.

So worrying about the poor baby.

Interesting that none of the Press reports are detailing his criminal record. No mention, except that the Daily Mail calls him her ‘rapist boyfriend’.

The previous statement released by the police more or less said ‘there are reasons we are concerned, you’re just going to have to trust us on this’.

If they are charging MG with various crimes Press reporting will now be subject to all the sun-judiciary restrictions. They will say what the charges are, if charged, but not details, evidence etc, until any trial.

So worrying about the poor baby.
The BBC is:

Gordon, a registered sex offender, was deported to Britain from the United States in 2010 after spending 20 years in prison for a rape he committed aged 14.

The only two reasons I can imagine them not cooperating with the police is if they know the baby is safe and being looked after by someone else or if they know the baby is no longer alive. Otherwise, if the baby is out there by itself, how could they keep quiet?

Does anyone know where they were found? Other than Brighton. Just wondering if they were actually camping or were being housed by friends.
Reports mention a 'residential street following a tip-off from a member of the public at about 9.30pm on Monday. Officers from Sussex Police attended the Stanmer Villas in Brighton.'

New to this thread, so apologies if this has been made clear earlier - but we still don’t know why the police were looking for them do we? On what grounds have they arrested them, given they didn’t know they were going to be found without the baby? I think it sounds like they were staying with someone, and I’m expecting (hoping) the baby is with someone else being looked after.

Stanmer Villas is a mix of students, young families and older people. It's the rougher end of the Fiveways area. I used to live on nearby Hollingbury Road when I was a student. I have some hope they were camping in Wild Park - homeless people often do - and the baby may yet be found. The fact she couldn't bear to be separated from it and previously carried it everywhere makes me very worried though

Why 'arrested'?
I think there is more to it than we 'the public' know; that's the only explanation I can give other than what @JennieM said, but under what crime were they arrested for that? The baby could have been with a babysitter, they wouldn't be arrested for that. I believe there is a lot more going on that we know

If they were camping in the park they'd head down Stanmer Villas to the shops on Fiveways, police could have been laying in wait if this was a repeat trip. Lots of slumlords in that area too though, so they may have been housed.

The threshold to be arrested in England is not as high as in some other jurisdictions; no need to make out too much of a real case but simply for the police to have reasonable grounds. Without my saying anyone has done anything wrong here: even if no charges are later brought, it would not from what’s in the press be unreasonable to arrest the couple immediately IMO on suspicion of child neglect if suspecting not having provided the child with sufficient shelter, and depending what has been said or not said or revealed on where the child is, there might have been other charges laid out.

Really hope the child is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member