UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Shiresleuth. I thought, for what it's worth, that he sounded a bit guarded - mainly talking in platitudes like 'we hope to see Corrie home soon' and so on, and downplaying the idea that there was anything unusual about the situation. But obviously, there is something amiss, or Corrie wouldn't be missing.

Perhaps he's just being professional in keeping everything very factual and not indulging publically in speculation. I would have thought - or at least hoped - that behind the scenes however, the military is making their own investigations into what happened. Most armies and air forces go to the ends of the earth to get their missing people returned..

What do you think?
I didn't really understand what he meant by 'lifestyle' and also why twice he said 'they didn't feel guilty" when referring to his colleagues. I would think you would feel guilty wouldn't you if a colleague didn't make it back? A very laisez-faire attitude imo ( by the co and the colleagues if true) and I agree with your last sentence.
Edit . Thinking about them not feeling guilty, the only explanation I can see for that would be if they knew he had left willingly and without regrets and so was 'beyond happy' in the words of his brother. This explanation has only just occurred to me as I think about it now and is pure speculation on my part.

Does anyone really believe that he's still alive? I don't understand the arguments for going AWOL. Is there any previous indication that he'd do something like this? Anything that would suggest that he's still alive but is choosing to stay missing?
It is curious because nothing indicates he isnt, although the family appear to be talking in past tense at times. We don' t know his state of mind but there are some indicators from happier than he is ever been to binge drinking and the norm is to pass out in a doorway. To me it sounds pretty emotional. Perhaps Corrie had enough and left. The Sc had mentioned Corries lifestyle, whatever he meant by that.

Hi everyone I have been following this thread from day one and can I just say how amazing you have all been I've been so nervous to post as you have all covered every angle so well! What a brilliant forum . I'm 30 odd pages behind today so I apologise if this has been went over but I've played about with the photos slightly and think the figure at the rear definitely has a beard . Sorry I've not had much to add but just wanted to say hi and hope I have more to add soon 🤗

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I didn't really understand what he meant by 'lifestyle' and also why twice he said 'they didn't feel guilty" when referring to his colleagues. I would think you would feel guilty wouldn't you if a colleague didn't make it back? A very laisez-faire attitude imo ( by the co and the colleagues if true) and I agree with your last sentence.

Yes, 'lifestyle' is an interesting word, as chickebeakin also mentioned. Perhaps it was a way of saying that Corrie's somewhat risky behavior when it came to socializing - even just the drinking to excess and sleeping in doorways, not necessarily anything beyond that - was something they weren't able to control. Who knows, perhaps they had spoken to him about it to no avail, and because nothing majorly untoward had come of it in the past, they let it pass. Using a word like 'lifestyle' seems like a distancing of responsibility on their part, in the sense that a person's lifestyle is really their own choice and at the end of the day there's only so much others can say or do about it, even if it involves something potentially dangerous.

I think the denial of guilt is also a sign of hidden guilt, at a certain level. That's partly why I am so interested in what the actual safety protocols for off duty personnel were. If Corrie wasn't doing anything wrong according to the rules, then why even refer to the idea of guilt? Perhaps things had happened in the past that were a bit more serous and weren't acted upon, and they feel guilty that that' s been a problem this time around? Or perhaps real mistakes were made, but we the public aren't being told.

He does sound incredibly, almost unbelievably laissez-faire, yes, Shiressleuth! I wonder if that's his real feeling, or if, as I say, there's a bit more to this all than meets the eye and he is trying to play everything down.

At the end of the day, we don't know what has happened to Corrie, but it may turn out that the Air Force comes into the answer somehow. (I'm not accusing or suggesting, purely theoretical). They're probably doing all they can to protect themselves from the start in case of that eventually.

AIMHO

Hi everyone I have been following this thread from day one and can I just say how amazing you have all been I've been so nervous to post as you have all covered every angle so well! What a brilliant forum . I'm 30 odd pages behind today so I apologise if this has been went over but I've played about with the photos slightly and think the figure at the rear definitely has a beard . Sorry I've not had much to add but just wanted to say hi and hope I have more to add soon 珞

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello, Scottishem1, welcome! I'm a newbie myself so it's good to be talking to you.

Where in Bonnie Scotland are you from? I'm from Edinburgh.

Good on the ground sleuthing SLD

attachment.php

Here's a close up. The grey button on the right of the door is a light switch. The faded notice on the wall warns not to climb up as there are spikes.

Sorry don't know why it's sideways, trying to correct...

Yes, 'lifestyle' is an interesting word, as chickebeakin also mentioned. Perhaps it was a way of saying that Corrie's somewhat risky behavior when it came to socializing - even just the drinking to excess and sleeping in doorways, not necessarily anything beyond that - was something they weren't able to control. Who knows, perhaps they had spoken to him about it to no avail, and because nothing majorly untoward had come of it in the past, they let it pass. Using a word like 'lifestyle' seems like a distancing of responsibility on their part, in the sense that a person's lifestyle is really their own choice and at the end of the day there's only so much others can say or do about it, even if it involves something potentially dangerous.

I think the denial of guilt is also a sign of hidden guilt, at a certain level. That's partly why I am so interested in what the actual safety protocols for off duty personnel were. If Corrie wasn't doing anything wrong according to the rules, then why even refer to the idea of guilt? Perhaps things had happened in the past that were a bit more serous and weren't acted upon, and they feel guilty that that' s been a problem this time around? Or perhaps real mistakes were made, but we the public aren't being told.

He does sound incredibly, almost unbelievably laissez-faire, yes, Shiressleuth! I wonder if that's his real feeling, or if, as I say, there's a bit more to this all than meets the eye and he is trying to play everything down.

At the end of the day, we don't know what has happened to Corrie, but it may turn out that the Air Force comes into the answer somehow. (I'm not accusing or suggesting, purely theoretical). They're probably doing all they can to protect themselves from the start in case of that eventually.

AIMHO

IMO the Stn Cdr is playing things down. As I've posted before, you cant even say anything untoward on references when people leave the service, even for disciplinary reasons.

Also, there are many layers of management between an airman and the Stn Cdr,so whilst I expect Corrie to have been known to his boss I wouldn't expect things like Corrie wandering off on a night out to have been known. That's why I wondered if there was anyone above the rank of airman in Corrie's social group; just one rank up so still junior enough to think it's a bit of a laugh. Also, it's the kind of thing that may have been talked about in the teabar at work or in the bar so could have been picked up on. However, gunners aren't rocket scientists and with peer pressure I have doubts as to whether any of them would deliberately flag it up.

Its not breaking military law to go off on your own, but bases publish 'routine orders' where they will inform staff of things like specific local issues or protocol for a night out. It's personal responsibility to make sure you are aware of the orders and follow them. I'm sure the Honington personnel will have been reminded of things like this since Corrie's disappearance! And his 'mates':will have been spoken to.

They can come and go as they like! A normal working week usually finishes around lunch time on a Friday and as long as they're back for work on a Monday morning there's no questions asked. I can understand why nobody noticed that Corrie wasn't around over the weekend he went missing, most rooms nowadays are self contained with an ensuite bathroom (the company I work for supply the company that built all the new singles accommodation round here) so I would assume his mates thought he'd met someone and had carried on the party! Not sure about leaving the dog in the bathroom, but perhaps he'd planned to be back at some point on the Saturday after picking his car up??

So interesting, Pooks.

Do do you know what happens if a soldier stays out of the base for the week-end or overnight? Do they have to phone in at any point or ask permission first?

We've talked at length about Barton Mills and the dodgy layby. I want to also point out that there have been other incidents within the travelling community at Mildenhall and also in Ipswich. I think that it's good to have a picture of what goes on within the local area as a whole. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tives-men-shot-dead-travellers-site-feud.html http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/mildenha...urder_at_willow_park_traveller_site_1_1747237 There have also been two murders of the travelling community at Ipswich only a couple of weeks ago. http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016...rt-charged-with-murder-of-two-men-in-ipswich/ The reason I also want to point this out is that the police searched Beck Row and we were pondering what was there. I pointed out at the time that there's a scrapyard, I didn't realise this is the location of the travellers site. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/police-search-beck-row-missing-12179398 I say this without prejudice, I think its important to know that there have been other incidents of violence within the Mildenhall / Barton Mills area.

We've talked at length about Barton Mills and the dodgy layby. I want to also point out that there have been other incidents within the travelling community at Mildenhall and also in Ipswich. I think that it's good to have a picture of what goes on within the local area as a whole. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tives-men-shot-dead-travellers-site-feud.html http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/mildenha...urder_at_willow_park_traveller_site_1_1747237 There have also been two murders of the travelling community at Ipswich only a couple of weeks ago. http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016...rt-charged-with-murder-of-two-men-in-ipswich/ The reason I also want to point this out is that the police searched Beck Row and we were pondering what was there. I pointed out at the time that there's a scrapyard, I didn't realise this is the location of the travellers site. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/police-search-beck-row-missing-12179398 I say this without prejudice, I think its important to know that there have been other incidents of violence within the Mildenhall / Barton Mills area.

Three nights after the double stabbing at Ipswich site there was an arson attack and a horse was unlawfully killed.
It was a frightening couple of days.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.po...e-linked-to-double-murder-probe-1-7732441/amp

attachment.php

Here's a close up. The grey button on the right of the door is a light switch. The faded notice on the wall warns not to climb up as there are spikes.

Sorry don't know why it's sideways, trying to correct...

Great post- The door numbering is odd as you would expect it to match the shop it is behind (36 cornhill - carphone warehouse) There are no flats there apparently unless someone has set something up like a squat?

I really think those are disputes within the travelling community themselves. There was also a double murder in Beck Row itself some years ago. We cannot link all suffolk and norfolk crime to Corrie.

Great post- The door numbering is odd as you would expect it to match the shop it is behind (36 cornhill - carphone warehouse) There are no flats there apparently unless someone has set something up like a squat?

Could be 26 Brentgovel Street, as it runs through the horseshoe area and out the other side for some way?

Hello, Scottishem1, welcome! I'm a newbie myself so it's good to be talking to you.

Where in Bonnie Scotland are you from? I'm from Edinburgh.

Just butting in, I am also Scotland (east coast) but originally from a town a few miles away from Bury St Edmunds.

Could be 26 Brentgovel Street, as it runs through the horseshoe area and out the other side for some way?
Yep technically this is Brentgovel Street but the old mill fabric shop opposite is no 8 and a cafe just past the shopping centre is no 12.

Edited to add = I have just had another look - on streetview the hairdressers on brentgovel is no 24 then on that side you have mcdonalds (not brentgovel) then the musuem and then this door, so it probably is 26 Brentgovel.

Hi everyone I have been following this thread from day one and can I just say how amazing you have all been I've been so nervous to post as you have all covered every angle so well! What a brilliant forum . I'm 30 odd pages behind today so I apologise if this has been went over but I've played about with the photos slightly and think the figure at the rear definitely has a beard . Sorry I've not had much to add but just wanted to say hi and hope I have more to add soon 🤗Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I should clarify slightly from what I said earlier. From what I could tell the 'goatee' part of the 'beard' was a marking on the wall when it's compared to the photo of the other two people passing in the same direction on that camera...as the other two were captured on CCTV a little farther ahead it is possible to compare the wall markings. So I would say I don't think it's a goatee-type beard on the person and would imho be closer shaved around the chin as opposed to the type of goatee that sticks out an inch or so.

I had a thunk last night as I seem to be fixated on a certain area of this case. A while back I posted some maps with timings that had been agreed by the majority of the group. However, that majority seem to have now fallen by the wayside and fresh eyes and members have joined the forum. These new members have given a valuable new insight into the ideas behind the phone timings and so they're open for review again.

A new member last night posted an image of the white slatted door which I looked at for at least a full minute (about two dozen posts back). Surprisingly after awhile, I noticed a car in the same photo. This got me thinking. If it took me several moments to notice the car....why couldn't Corrie do the same? His jog and then saunter towards the rear of the 'Horseshoe' suggests that surely?

Now for the phone timings...
I'm now giving great thought towards a Grindr contact in the local pubs or nightclub that night (see my earlier post for reasons).
What if diplomacy protocols meant that Corrie met the person in their car in the darkened rear of the 'Horseshoe' and sat in it for awhile (at least from 0324 onwards)? That car could have been parked there ALL evening even before Corrie and the lads even arrived in BSE. We know that parking in town was difficult otherwise Corrie would have parked in a normal parking bay and not a disabled bay. It would give Corrie, his phone and his 'guest' time to get aquatinted locally. Then a short time later, the bin lorry arrives (0405ish) and it's headlights temporarily disturb them both and carries out the emptying of the bins by the driver who is now by the side of the vehicle operating the lifting ram. They both get frustrated as the bin lorry starts its circular exiting manoeuvre and decide to leave themselves in the car towards BM/M getting stuck behind said lorry practically all the way to Mil.
The phone signal (by now approx 0420-0430) would be delayed from leaving the mast area footprint, no one would see them in the car as it would have steamed windows and so no witnesses, the CCTV camera wouldn't pick up the vehicle as its already parked there in the dark and has and has been all evening, the average speed of the phone and vehicle leaving would be lower because it's behind the bin lorry along the A1101 and it would meet the nearly all the requirements of our case?
JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads