UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

No technology on-board a mobile phone will reveal its exact location.

I don't think this is true. Don't all phones now have GPS built in, whether it is switched on or off at any particualar time?

I have an app on my phone which tracks me round fields when I'm metal detecting so I can log the location of a find to 7 decimal places of latitude and longitude. On the ground, that's accuracy down to about a metre using the phone's GPS capabilities.

For what it's worth and based on my own interpretation of his actions, my experiences and attitudes...
I would plump for one of my original theories of an affair with an American Serviceman's wife who possibly works locally in a pub, club (or not) and has access to a car. He's been seeing her on and off and when he can. She's stuck in a US base with limited interaction and needs a buzz. Corrie is that buzz. They met on neutral soil originally (night out/weekend social function on US base?) He's been sending her messages after leaving the club to meet her whilst her husband is away. The husband has intercepted the phone and messages, gone to meet him, hard punched him into the back of the car, phone fallen out of shirt pocket, phone goes into the bin and Corrie is driven away.

Its right that we've discussed Corrie having possible involvement with Tinder AND Grinder AND drugs AND awol AND....that is what this forum is designed to do. To address difficult topics with a view to finding a near perfect answer to a problem. As unsavoury as they are, we HAVE to discuss them to solve issues.

The last theory of mine is that he was a secret Harry Potter fan and he'd just found Platform 9 3/4!!

If it was a US serviceman, then their married quarters should be over in the Mildenhall area, which could be why the phone pinged on the Barton Mills mast?

I think the 'profile' of Corrie is one of a bit of a risk-taker...someone who might jump on the back of a bin lorry for a lift has to be a bit of a risk-lover. The military would naturally attract people who enjoy doing something risky/scary. A married woman might look extra attractive through the lens of a risk-taker personality, it adds an extra buzz knowing you're doing something naughty.

I can't remember the first time it was mentioned but a little while back I posted about it and the general concensus was that any distressing element was just a suggestion on here and not something anyone in the family had brought uup

Sounds about right. I think we were speculating on why the footage of Corrie in eating or sleeping in the doorway was not made public, and the suggestion was that it might be upsetting/distressing for the family because at that time it was thought to be last known sight of him.

I don't think this is true. Don't all phones now have GPS built in, whether it is switched on or off at any particualar time?

I have an app on my phone which tracks me round fields when I'm metal detecting so I can log the location of a find to 7 decimal places of latitude and longitude. On the ground, that's accuracy down to about a metre using the phone's GPS capabilities.

Absolutely correct Melmoth. But I'm talking about the phone itself, NOT an app that's been uploaded to that phone. See the difference?

If it was a US serviceman, then their married quarters should be over in the Mildenhall area, which could be why the phone pinged on the Barton Mills mast?

I think the 'profile' of Corrie is one of a bit of a risk-taker...someone who might jump on the back of a bin lorry for a lift has to be a bit of a risk-lover. The military would naturally attract people who enjoy doing something risky/scary. A married woman might look extra attractive through the lens of a risk-taker personality, it adds an extra buzz knowing you're doing something naughty.
Think of all the information we've been given and join up the dots. I ain't saying it's the answer. All I'm saying is it leads towards the area of the map which I've highlighted in red. The area near Mildenhall that was searched the other day adds to that theory.

Absolutely correct Melmoth. But I'm talking about the phone itself, NOT an app that's been uploaded to that phone. See the difference?

No difference. The GPS is built into the phone. The app is merely one that uses that capability for a specific purpose.

If I try to use Google maps for satnavving, it asks me to turn on "location services", ie GPS, before it will work properly. Otherwise, how could it direct me precisely from where I am to where I want to go?

GPS is there in the phone, but it is both battery and data heavy so it's not something you would leave switched on as a matter of course.

No difference. The GPS is built into the phone. The app is merely one that uses that capability for a specific purpose.

If I try to use Google maps for satnavving, it asks me to turn on "location services", ie GPS, before it will work properly. Otherwise, how could it direct me precisely from where I am to where I want to go?

GPS is there in the phone, but it is both battery and data heavy so it's not something you would leave switched on as a matter of course.
...and if it's not on, it can't be updating. If it ain't updating it can't be traced as a motion, and if it can't be traced as a motion then a time/speed/distance equation can't be applied to it and so tracked.

If a social app is signed into by a password and checked by the user for social updates then it switches that app on. It's then trackable. If the user is permenantly signed in then the app automatically updates (unless of course it enters a signal difficult area to receive that update). Get it?

You have to actively activate the app or phone location device to put the phone into 'visual' mode.

A recent bit of extra info from Tony in the facebook group in answer to someone asking about the possibility of Corrie changing clothes in the horseshoe

"Changing clothes is highly unlikely, but please also bear in mind we can use quite precise measurements of size, shape, silhouette etc. of head, hands, feet, limbs etc. As well as known gait, or movement pattern analysis to identify or discount people."

A recent bit of extra info from Tony in the facebook group in answer to someone asking about the possibility of Corrie changing clothes in the horseshoe

"Changing clothes is highly unlikely, but please also bear in mind we can use quite precise measurements of size, shape, silhouette etc. of head, hands, feet, limbs etc. As well as known gait, or movement pattern analysis to identify or discount people."

Hence my chip comment a few posts up.

And FWIW, I don't think Corrie threw his own phone away. He speaks to his family daily - Darroch, 4x the day he went missing. I can't see him going a week without communicating while he waits to get a new one. If he had already purchased and was using a new one, then yes. But without a replacement, no.

I just wonder if his wallet was trashed along with his phone - in which case, it would lean more towards robbery.

...and if it's not on, it can't be updating. If it ain't updating it can't be traced as a motion, and if it can't be traced as a motion then a time/speed/distance equation can't be applied to it and so tracked.

If a social app is signed into by a password and checked by the user for social updates then it switches that app on. It's then trackable. If the user is permenantly signed in then the app automatically updates (unless of course it enters a signal difficult area to receive that update). Get it?

You have to actively activate the app or phone location device to put the phone into 'visual' mode.

Yes, I know. We are both on the same hymn sheet here, but what I was originally responding to was your statement "No technology on-board a mobile phone will reveal its exact location.", which GPS IF USED can do.

Or at least "exact location" to within a metre or two.

As I said before, most people don't have it switched on routinely. Many probably don't know their phone has it available.

And FWIW, I don't think Corrie threw his own phone away. He speaks to his family daily - Darroch, 4x the day he went missing. I can't see him going a week without communicating while he waits to get a new one. If he had already purchased and was using a new one, then yes. But without a replacement, no.

I just wonder if his wallet was trashed along with his phone - in which case, it would lean more towards robbery.

I've often wondered why the keys and wallet are not mentioned. After all a wallet description and key description while won't give you the information a phone might, could help build a picture depending on the general area they're found. This person assumingly would have had access to corries keys, not just his car but any other keys he had.

Talking of phone tracking, I don't subscribe to the Grindr theory but there have been articles where their software enabled you to pinpoint a loctation to incredible prescision.

Talking of phone tracking, I don't subscribe to the Grindr theory but there have been articles where their software enabled you to pinpoint a loctation to incredible prescision.

Sounds like another app using the same GPS capabilities for another specific purpose.

First post here, not sure if it's been covered yet.

Nicola said that Corrie's passport was in his room . Would that be both of them ? One for work purposes and 1 for leisure? .

I've often wondered why the keys and wallet are not mentioned. After all a wallet description and key description while won't give you the information a phone might, could help build a picture depending on the general area they're found. This person assumingly would have had access to corries keys, not just his car but any other keys he had.

And if Corrie's keys had a key finder fob on them it would be one more way to try to track their - and his - location. Something like Tile or TrackR both have crowd sourcing capabilities and would ping if another Tile or TrackR come within range.

First post here, not sure if it's been covered yet.

Nicola said that Corrie's passport was in his room . Would that be both of them ? One for work purposes and 1 for leisure? .
Hello Spurslass, welcome.
Can you explain your meaning of 'one for work purposes and 1 for leisure' please?

For what it's worth and based on my own interpretation of his actions, my experiences and attitudes...
I would plump for one of my original theories of an affair with an American Serviceman's wife who possibly works locally in a pub, club (or not) and has access to a car. He's been seeing her on and off and when he can. She's stuck in a US base with limited interaction and needs a buzz. Corrie is that buzz. They met on neutral soil originally (night out/weekend social function on US base?) He's been sending her messages after leaving the club to meet her whilst her husband is away. The husband has intercepted the phone and messages, gone to meet him, hard punched him into the back of the car, phone fallen out of shirt pocket, phone goes into the bin and Corrie is driven away.

Its right that we've discussed Corrie having possible involvement with Tinder AND Grinder AND drugs AND awol AND....that is what this forum is designed to do. To address difficult topics with a view to finding a near perfect answer to a problem. As unsavoury as they are, we HAVE to discuss them to solve issues.

The last theory of mine is that he was a secret Harry Potter fan and he'd just found Platform 9 3/4!!

It is very difficult to get a job in the local community if you are a US service member's spouse as they are not granted work visas - unless the spouse is a UK citizen, in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BexLuth0r