UK UK - Damien Nettles, 16, Isle of Wight England, 2 Nov 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Will take a look at Luke D's thread here, one thing that i and others cannot help but notice after being on Ws for sometime now, is that there certainly seems to be a correlation between young men who are missing who are ultimately located in a body of water, imo, speculation.
Ws thread..
UK - UK - Luke Durbin, 19, Ipswich, 12 May 2006
Yes! I am not saying that the cases are in anyway connected. However, I noticed several similarities between Luke's case and Damien's. The close proximity to water, the suggestion of drug use, the similar ages, the night out with friends, seemingly trying to get home afterwards. I shall look at Luke's thread now.

Something of significance is the fact that the Saturday night was followed by a Sunday morning. In the UK, Sundays are traditionally days of rest. Businesses don't open until later in the day. People lay in bed until late morning. Some nurse hangovers from Saturday night at home. This, combined with a lack of CCTV in 1996, could have been an opportunity for anything to happen to Damien. There have been suggestions that Damien was wrapped in Carpet and taken to be buried. There were no Ring doorbells back then, very little CCTV and on a sleepy Sunday morning, it could have made for a very discreet disposal of Damien's body. Damien was seen on CCTV at around 00:02 on Sunday morning, alive. If Damien was killed, he would have been killed on Sunday morning at the earliest. Could Damien have been picked up on Baring Road and invited to a party that led to a disagreement, resulting in his death? It is suggested Damien could have been seen pinned against a wall by N**** Mc******. This suggests that someone out there was angry at Damien; which draws my mind to what councillor Lynn Hammond says about Damien, that he might have been brought to the chalet on Shore Road to be taught a lesson. I have looked at a map of the Island and Shore Road is VERY close to Woodvale Road, where Damien lived. It is suggested that Damien was picked up on Baring Road, a short drive away from Shore Road. More than one person is said to have mentioned Baring Road - the witness who was deemed unreliable by police and S****** B******, who allegedly said that N**** Mc****** picked Damien up on Baring Road. Damien was last seen on CCTV walking towards a side road which would lead towards Baring Road.

On a slightly different note, someone was suggested to have been seen on Baring Road matching Damien's description with a carry bag. This was not visible in the chip shop video, where could he have bought goods from at that time of day? What could have been inside, could it have been drugs?

Having watched the documentary again, it seems that the sighting of someone (possibly Damien) pinned against a wall was after the chip shop footage, which is as I thought. It seems like there is some consistency between the rumoured sightings. Although they seem to end at Baring Road, it strongly suggests that Damien headed westwards, away from the marina and water, which makes the swimming theory seem even more doubtful and puts more plausibility on the foul play theory.

Something that was mentioned by someone is that they heard in hearsay that supposedly Bu*** Is*es was present at the time Damien supposedly died. The person who said this, I feel has strong links to associates of B*** Is*es. In the video, I did get the feeling that he was trying too hard to seem genuine. The eye contact seemed excessive when talking to people who you don't know so well.

Damien's brother said in the documentary that he once went to Ni**y MCN***ra's house when he was younger and said that he reacted strangely and asked everyone to leave upon finding out that he was Damien's brother. This seems like very strange behaviour, if N**** had no connection to Damien's disappearance, then why would he be so bothered by his brother being in his house? I am not sure if, at that time rumours had been circulating to suggest his involvement, but from what I can gather, it seems his name was only mentioned as a potential link after he had passed away.

Ok here’s my theory. I’ve been reading about this case for years, watched countless documentaries including the BBC one. My conclusion is that I don’t believe Damien Nettles was murdered.
This case reminds me in many ways to the one of Steven cook who was missing For 14 years in Malia. In the Steven cook case there were various theories about how he likely upset local criminals and there were rumours on the island about how he had had an argument or annoyed one of the local Albanian gangsters and he fell foul to them. Similarly to the Damien case the last sighting of Steven was of him stumbling home towards his hotel.
The conclusion to the Steven cool case was that after 14 years missing a local man found skeleton remains in one of his disused wells. It had not been used or cleaned since before Steven went missing and it seems that Steven fell down into it when he was drunk and trying to find his way back to his hotel. It’s one of those type wells which is Basically a hole in the ground contained in an outside small hut.
It’s likely he was looking for somewhere to relieve himself, went into the hut and fell down the hole.

My point is I think that like with the Steven cook case , Damien was planning to go home, but had taken something that night. I believe one of the last sightings was of him en route to his home from the chippy , so I don’t believe he would’ve turned around to go back into the centre. Footage from the chip shop shows him to be incoherent ( not drunk but more like he was on drugs). I believe he went off course to his route home due to being not “with it” and either fell down somewhere becoming trapped or fell into the sea. This is Especially likely if he had taken something which made him hallucinate

Ok here’s my theory. I’ve been reading about this case for years, watched countless documentaries including the BBC one. My conclusion is that I don’t believe Damien Nettles was murdered.
This case reminds me in many ways to the one of Steven cook who was missing For 14 years in Malia. In the Steven cook case there were various theories about how he likely upset local criminals and there were rumours on the island about how he had had an argument or annoyed one of the local Albanian gangsters and he fell foul to them. Similarly to the Damien case the last sighting of Steven was of him stumbling home towards his hotel.
The conclusion to the Steven cool case was that after 14 years missing a local man found skeleton remains in one of his disused wells. It had not been used or cleaned since before Steven went missing and it seems that Steven fell down into it when he was drunk and trying to find his way back to his hotel. It’s one of those type wells which is Basically a hole in the ground contained in an outside small hut.
It’s likely he was looking for somewhere to relieve himself, went into the hut and fell down the hole.

My point is I think that like with the Steven cook case , Damien was planning to go home, but had taken something that night. I believe one of the last sightings was of him en route to his home from the chippy , so I don’t believe he would’ve turned around to go back into the centre. Footage from the chip shop shows him to be incoherent ( not drunk but more like he was on drugs). I believe he went off course to his route home due to being not “with it” and either fell down somewhere becoming trapped or fell into the sea. This is Especially likely if he had taken something which made him hallucinate
Welcome to Ws Londongirl2020, good post, thanks for chiming in!

Welcome to the forum. I think it might an idea to so some research in to potential areas that Damien could have become trapped, I will have a search on maps for potential trapping zones. The thing about the island is that many directions could have been a potential route home, if Damien had walked south along the High Street, towards the Co-Op, he could have turned right and gone home that way, and walking northwards, past the CCTV, he could have gone up Sun Hill or along the sea front. What do you think about the suggestion that Da***l S*ence*r and N*cky M***mara being with a youngster who was pinned against a wall?

Will take a look at Luke D's thread here, one thing that i and others cannot help but notice after being on Ws for sometime now, is that there certainly seems to be a correlation between young men who are missing who are ultimately located in a body of water, imo, speculation.
Ws thread..
UK - UK - Luke Durbin, 19, Ipswich, 12 May 2006

I concur. It's a strange phenomenon.

MOO

I concur. It's a strange phenomenon.

MOO

I don't know if I would call it a "strange phenomenon".

Most blokes who go out on the razz come home safely, if a little worse for wear, but with impaired brain function and motor skills there's always a chance that some will have an accident, particularly if they live near bodies of water. There was a local case here where a drunk university student was kicked out of a nightclub and "vanished". Not long afterwards he was found floating in the sea.

I don't think there was foul play in Damien's case, and I'd be inclined to take the word of junkies with a truckload of salt.

At the time of Damien's disappearance, he was near the seafront and not inland. The surveillance footage would suggest he was drunk or high on something. When I put those two together, I think it's more plausible that we took a swim with the fishes and perished rather than murdered by local thugs.

An expert said "The Solent gives back what it takes away"; meaning it would be likely that his body would have washed up, had he gone in the river.

As Ivor Bennett said, there is too much information to suggest that something happened on land for me to believe he went to sea. I gather that rumours and gossip spread like wildfire in such small places, and I don't doubt that the odd person has made up stories for attention, but I believe the majority of people, even drug users would not give false information to a family looking to find their teenage son.

Something of significance is the fact that the Saturday night was followed by a Sunday morning. In the UK, Sundays are traditionally days of rest. Businesses don't open until later in the day. People lay in bed until late morning. Some nurse hangovers from Saturday night at home. This, combined with a lack of CCTV in 1996, could have been an opportunity for anything to happen to Damien. There have been suggestions that Damien was wrapped in Carpet and taken to be buried. There were no Ring doorbells back then, very little CCTV and on a sleepy Sunday morning, it could have made for a very discreet disposal of Damien's body. Damien was seen on CCTV at around 00:02 on Sunday morning, alive. If Damien was killed, he would have been killed on Sunday morning at the earliest. Could Damien have been picked up on Baring Road and invited to a party that led to a disagreement, resulting in his death? It is suggested Damien could have been seen pinned against a wall by N**** Mc******. This suggests that someone out there was angry at Damien; which draws my mind to what councillor Lynn Hammond says about Damien, that he might have been brought to the chalet on Shore Road to be taught a lesson. I have looked at a map of the Island and Shore Road is VERY close to Woodvale Road, where Damien lived. It is suggested that Damien was picked up on Baring Road, a short drive away from Shore Road. More than one person is said to have mentioned Baring Road - the witness who was deemed unreliable by police and S****** B******, who allegedly said that N**** Mc****** picked Damien up on Baring Road. Damien was last seen on CCTV walking towards a side road which would lead towards Baring Road.

On a slightly different note, someone was suggested to have been seen on Baring Road matching Damien's description with a carry bag. This was not visible in the chip shop video, where could he have bought goods from at that time of day? What could have been inside, could it have been drugs?

It's possible hid name wasn't mentioned before because people were too frightened when he was alive.

Having watched the documentary again, it seems that the sighting of someone (possibly Damien) pinned against a wall was after the chip shop footage, which is as I thought. It seems like there is some consistency between the rumoured sightings. Although they seem to end at Baring Road, it strongly suggests that Damien headed westwards, away from the marina and water, which makes the swimming theory seem even more doubtful and puts more plausibility on the foul play theory.

Something that was mentioned by someone is that they heard in hearsay that supposedly Bu*** Is*es was present at the time Damien supposedly died. The person who said this, I feel has strong links to associates of B*** Is*es. In the video, I did get the feeling that he was trying too hard to seem genuine. The eye contact seemed excessive when talking to people who you don't know so well.

Damien's brother said in the documentary that he once went to Ni**y MCN***ra's house when he was younger and said that he reacted strangely and asked everyone to leave upon finding out that he was Damien's brother. This seems like very strange behaviour, if N**** had no connection to Damien's disappearance, then why would he be so bothered by his brother being in his house? I am not sure if, at that time rumours had been circulating to suggest his involvement, but from what I can gather, it seems his name was only mentioned as a potential link after he had passed away.

That would have been alot of drugs for need a carrier bag

An expert said "The Solent gives back what it takes away"; meaning it would be likely that his body would have washed up, had he gone in the river.

There is always the potential that the body won't wash up. The sea doesn't always give up it secrets.

For all we know, the body did wash up somewhere and was never found.

As Ivor Bennett said, there is too much information to suggest that something happened on land for me to believe he went to sea.

But how reliable is that information?

There is always the potential that the body won't wash up. The sea doesn't always give up it secrets.

For all we know, the body did wash up somewhere and was never found.
The Hook Of Holland is mentioned as a possible place, but I don't know how possible it would be for a body to float that far un-noticed.

What else could have been in the carrier bag, I was thinking drink but all of the shops would have been closed at that time of night. I don't think 24 hour stores were a thing back then.

Maybe the witness is mistaken. Or mistook something else for a carrier bag.

I still find the body language of one of the men in the chip shop video very interesting, the tall guy with dark hair. The way he meanders his head close to the others, it seems very dominant.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back