UK - Four Cheeki Rafiki crew members, North Atlantic, 16 May 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There were 200,000 signatures collected, and various government ministers and high profile sailors and personalities lent support.

But I tend to think the power of the families' pleas was what really worked in the end. They have worked very hard and were impossible to turn away from. Whatever the outcome, they know they have done everything they can for their missing loved ones.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27492026

I was hoping there might be 200,000 thanks on the USCG FB page, but I can't even see one!

I'm not on FB though, so might just be missing them.

https://www.facebook.com/UScoastguard

It is a 'business' style page so only topics posted by the page owners are allowed. It didn't feel right to offer thanks under the posts about a mans retirement or advice on the wearing of lifejackets. I do think they would get many thanks if they were to post an update.

I hope Figtree's heard too....

WOW - this is great News to wake up to!! (5.30am)
Thanks to the Posters keeping up the information.

Thank-you to the USCG and all the new Search Teams which will be out there looking for them.
Sending them the Best of Luck.
I sincerely hope that all will go well and they will find them.

Sky News. Read More:
Mr Warren's sister, Kay Coombes, told Sky News: "I was on the phone to the US Coastguard and I was quite firm with them and asked to speak to somebody that could help me (and who I could ask) why they weren't searching.
"I was put on hold for a few minutes and they came back to say they had decided to start searching again.

"They said to me a plane would be in the air within the hour and also that they were also talking to the air force and the Canadians to see what resources they could spare.

"People-power has been amazing. We've moved a mountain today."

:)

BBC News. Read More:

Involved or en route to the search
Crews from

A US Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, North Carolina, HC-130 Hercules aircraft
US Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous
US Air Force C-130 aircraft, from Moody Air Force Base, in Valdosta, Georgia
Canadian military C-130 aircraft
The 672ft vessel Premium Do Brasil
The 751ft AM Hamburg
The 600ft Bow Flora
The 477ft Chem Venus
The 551ft Independent Accord

Yes! Response from Tomnod:
"Thanks for this suggestion. We're actively tasking the satellites and hope to be able to release a campaign soon. Thanks for being part of the team!"

"Thanks for this suggestion. We're actively tasking the satellites and hope to be able to release a campaign soon. Thanks for being part of the team!"

If they get the pictures up or however this works and you teach me how, I will help look. I'm a quick learner :)

Yatching World posted a Search Location Map in one of their articles:

Yatching World. Read More:
Cheeki Rafiki: New Search Information

The USCG has disclosed two search areas, one of which (the north area) is approximately 90 nautical miles to the west of the coast guard's original search area, a position based no doubt on their sophisticated weather, current and drift models.
The two search areas are:
North Position: 38-37N 048-48W
South position: 37-36N 050-14W
Each area is believed to be 100nm radius although this hasn't been confirmed.

-----

The location of where the hull was found last week is:
38-15.7N 048-38W

picture.php

*edited
The diagram provided by the WCC also shows
The last known position of position of Cheeki Rafiki,
The two positions of the Emergency personal locator beacons (PLB)
The upturned hull, (believed to be the yacht), as discovered by the Maersk shipping container ‘Kure' on the weekend.

The illustration suggests that the PLB and the yacht have been drifting towards the southwest
The distance between the two PLB signals is around 15 nautical miles
The distance between the second PLB signal and the upturned boat is 25 miles.

US Coast Guard Facebook: Video

Video footage at link above:
Coast Guard flight 2002 takes off from Air Station Elizabeth City to head towards the search area for Cheeki Rafiki. It is anticipated that it will arrive on scene to begin its search within the next two hours.

Great work Yoda!!!! Well done

The Coastguard say they will release a further update on the search at 23.30 local time. I think it's only 3am in Boston now though, so there's a long wait.

Sir Richard Branson says he really thinks the hull should be located again and checked, to see if the life raft is still on the yacht or not. It makes sense. I don't know if it's possible though.

Look at her hand signals - thumbs up. It says it all really. This was a meeting between Brit officials and the coast guard. I'm giving a thumbs up to the searchers and keeping my fingers crossed too. In the hope they find the crew, and that they stay safe themselves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 17
The Coastguard say they will release a further update on the search at 23.30 local time. I think it's only 3am in Boston now though, so there's a long wait.

Sir Richard Branson says he really thinks the hull should be located again and checked, to see if the life raft is still on the yacht or not. It makes sense. I don't know if it's possible though.

I think it would be possible to check to see if there is a liferaft still attached - if they can now find the hull - and if it is the Cheeki Rafiki. Though it would have been good to have marked and had a tracker gps on the capsized yacht at the time it was found - it would also have been useful to see what the vessel drift has been then.

And the yacht is a danger out there to other craft as long as it is just under the surface and in striking range.

Keeping the hope alive :)

I cannot think why UK authorities didn't do this before, but the Royal Air Force has now sent out a C-130 Hercules to help. It left Brize Norton in Oxfordshire this morning, refueled in Portugal, and is expected to reach the search area this afternoon. (In an hour or so)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27497974

In the article above, Admiral Richard Gurnon of the Mass. Maritime Academy, does seem to suggest that cost was a factor in calling off the search: '...an extremely small outfit, faced with huge costs'.

If that's the case, the UK rescue services should definitely have been volunteered to help before now. I don't understand why Brit officials took so long to act.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back