UK - Four Cheeki Rafiki crew members, North Atlantic, 16 May 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes! Response from Tomnod:
"Thanks for this suggestion. We're actively tasking the satellites and hope to be able to release a campaign soon. Thanks for being part of the team!"

I hope they get the satellite images up soon...
-----

Additional aircraft to be deployed in Cheeki Rafiki crew search
GetSurryNews UK. Read More:
The sailors' families are in discussions with a crowd-sourcing initiative set up by satellite company Tomnod, run by DigitalGlobe, which would allow people to view satellite photos online and tag objects of interest, with the co-ordinates being sent to the coastguard. It was previously used following Typhoon Haiyan and the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.
Gloria Hamlet, Mr Warren's partner, remained hopeful the men would be found.
"If there are eyes out there looking for them then there's a chance," she said. "Hopefully today will be the day but we've got to wait and see.

Boston Globe News. Read More:

The US Coast Guard said this morning that debris found in the area where a British yacht disappeared late last week, is not related to that incident.
-----
As of this morning, search teams had covered about 12,000 square miles of ocean. A volunteer vessel reported objects in the water, but they were not related to the Cheeki Rafiki yacht, Popiel said.
“We take reports of debris very seriously and, at this time, no debris or objects reported during this search correlate to the Cheeki Rafiki,” Popiel said in the statement.
Popiel said the search will continue and all debris will be analyzed.
-----

Dont Give Up on Cheeki Rafiki Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/CheekiRafiki?ref=nf

Prayers and support going out to the family and loved ones of the Crew... as
the most distasteful journalism is rearing its ugly head regarding the search for the Crew of the Cheeki Rafiki.

Independent.co.UK. Read More:
#FindOurSailors: This is not the same as Flight MH370 or the missing Nigerian schoolgirls
At some point a publicly funded search has to stop. That time is now

:banghead:

Young journalist but she called the search efforts distasteful. I hope she thinks about that. Writing opinion pieces may not quite be her true calling, in my opinion.

I think that even if US Coastguards call off the search, the UK will continue efforts for a while. As well as simple compassion, there is a political point - with 200,000 sigs in such a short time, the Government can see it's the will of the people.

.....and anyone who wants to stop the private yachts searching is going to have to catch them first!

I just heard those rescued Aberdeen fishermen on the radio. They are such jolly, grateful fellows. I wanted to laugh with joy for them, and cry at the thought of the ones still missing at the same time......

Dont Give Up on Cheeki Rafiki Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/CheekiRafiki?ref=nf

Prayers and support going out to the family and loved ones of the Crew... as
the most distasteful journalism is rearing its ugly head regarding the search for the Crew of the Cheeki Rafiki.

Young journalist but she called the search efforts distasteful. I hope she thinks about that. Writing opinion pieces may not quite be her true calling, in my opinion.

I guess it's easy to make such a declaration when it's not your father/son/brother that's missing.

People that are able to value some lives over others so easily amaze me.

I think the search should be called off when it's too dangerous to continue or the odds that they survived are so slim, it's a lost cause. and for the families, they'll never stop looking, God Bless them.

Ouch didn't like Richard Brandsons comment, ouch!.
Basically his answer was no he would not help pay to retrieve our guys.
Buy he let our government save him. *******!.

The search by US authorities will cease at 5am Saturday (UK time). That's 20 hours from now. The decision is backed by UK authorities.

Over 17,000 miles of the high seas have been searched but no trace of the crew or ship have been found. Some 'fresh' planks discovered have been confirmed as NOT coming from the Cheeki. As the crew have been missing one week now, I don't think authorities can be criticized for making that decision at this time. I suspect the life raft would only have had a few days' water supply, and lack of fresh water on survival chances has to be a major factor, besides anything else.

I hope for the families' sake some trace is discovered in these next hours though. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for a miracle before tomorrow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-yacht-Cheeki-Rafiki-says-US-Coast-Guard.html

Photo of last press conference at the link, by Petty Officer Ruddell again.
https://m.facebook.com/USCoastGuardNortheast?refsrc=http://www.google.co.uk/&_rdr

Having said that, the Aberdeen fishermen survived with a small bottle of water, flask of tea and two biscuits, for days.....

They forgot to take a phone with them. And the rescue boat nearly passed by at first - thought they were just waving hello. Their boat sank completely as it was being towed back to land, so these guys were very, very lucky indeed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-27514632

Why aren't the bottoms of all yachts painted with high-vis, bright orange paint? That would make them far easier to spot from the air if they overturn.

Plymouth Herald News. Read More:
Search for missing British yacht given one more day

The MCA also urged volunteers in small vessels hunting for the missing yacht not to enter the search area over safety fears because of forecasts of bad weather.

The spokesman said: "We would urge owners of small craft not to venture into the area to conduct their own search operations taking into account the forecast decrease in weather conditions and the loss of two yachts in this region in the past fortnight."

Did they find the other 2 missing yachts that went missing in the past fortnight?
What was their story?
Were there missing crew from the vessels as well - or did they manage to get rescued, or make it to shore? Or was it just the yachts that went missing in the area - broke their mooring or something?

Weather prediction: Atlantic Ocean
Sailing Weather

Good questions about the other yachts figtree. Branson was quick to back the McCanns with his cash.
The next time his butt is on the line, I will petition to make him foot the bill.

The poor families will always wonder if they could have been found, had we not lost precious time searching. I feel so badly for them.

Did they find the other 2 missing yachts that went missing in the past fortnight?
What was their story?
Were there missing crew from the vessels as well - or did they manage to get rescued, or make it to shore? Or was it just the yachts that went missing in the area - broke their mooring or something?

Weather prediction: Atlantic Ocean
Sailing Weather

There were two missing yachts in this region last year, I don't know if they were ever found. I think there are many vessels lost in the Atlantic, and always have been. It can be very fierce.
http://www.noonsite.com/General/Med...acht-in-distress-500-miles-west-of-the-azores

The site linked above also carries a list of the latest incidents, it's on this page, on the right when you scroll down.
http://www.noonsite.com/General/MedicalSafety

Here is a long article about a lost cruise ship which contains interesting information about what recent research has revealed about ocean drift etc. Some yellow rubber ducks lost from a container ship have helped a lot. But the news isn't good for lost vessels - drift is much more extensive and unpredictable than previously thought. The yellow rubber ducks ended up on shores as disparate as Scotland and Hawaii.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140319-ghost-ship-malaysia-airliner-atlantic-ocean/

Another article from a professional sailing site. It boils down to; under optimum weather conditions (calm seas, warm air/water temps) and with good rations, people can survive for long periods. But people can also expire quickly if they have become wet and cold, and survival times are short for anyone ending up in the water, without a liferaft.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/05/22/branson-backs-cheeki-rafiki-search/

Good questions about the other yachts figtree. Branson was quick to back the McCanns with his cash.
The next time his butt is on the line, I will petition to make him foot the bill.

The poor families will always wonder if they could have been found, had we not lost precious time searching. I feel so badly for them.

^^^ Well Said ^^^ :banghead:

:loveyou:
Thanks to everyone keeping us up to date with this.

Special Thanks to FigTree & zweibel

A very extensive article regarding the Search and Crew and Cheeki Rafiki...

Haunting last picture of missing British sailors emerges as families say they still have hope despite US Coast Guard search drawing to a close
Daily Mail. Read More:

article-2635955-1E22410200000578-839_634x416.jpg

The last picture of the crew of the Cheeki Rafiki: Pictured are Andrew Bridge (front left), James Male (front right), Paul Goslin (centre back in stripes) and Steve Warren (behind Paul Goslin)

Andrew Bridge, 22, from Farnham, James Male, 23, from Southampton, Steve Warren, 52, from Bridgwater and Paul Goslin, 56, from West Camel, are seen leaving an awards ceremony at Antigua Sailing Week.
Just hours later contact was lost with the Cheeki Rafiki around 620 miles east of Cape Cod.

The Malisi skipper, Frenchman Patrick Michel, told the BBC earlier: 'We are currently just in the north part of the search area, our third night out here, and we did see during this night a few little [pieces of] debris which I have reported to the US Coast Guard with the times and positions, so there is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.'

article-2634843-1E13E9BC00000578-287_634x371.jpg

Inside family Ops room: The dining room at James Male's house has become an information centre where friends and family interact with social media to spread the word

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back