Found Deceased UK - Gaynor Lord was last seen in Norwich city centre on London Street heading towards Norwich Cathedral, 2:35 pm, 8 December 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but that's looking like where this could be heading. Did her and her husband have a huge argument recently? What's her life like? Financially stable etc?

What I don't quite understand, is that if she was feeling suicidal, she had plenty of opportunity to throw herself in front of a car - but she didn't. In fact, she was somewhat careful to avoid being hit by a car.

And I don't understand her smile before leaving work. But we don't know what's running through someones head, so it's possible the smile was just a "work face" and didn't show her true mental state.
BBM. Very good point IMO.

The leaving work early and running to somewhere doesn't immediately make suicide spring to my mind. I'm thinking she had a phone call or text about something and had to go. If it was a family emergency I'm pretty sure she would of told a colleague on the way out what was happening though so probably nothing family related. If it is suicide then she must've found something out absolutely horrendous to then decide to jump in water as none of it appears planned. Her belongings scattered about make no sense either. All very odd.

I feel 99.9% that, sadly, she's in the river.

But to wildly speculate on the .1%..., could she:
1. Have met with something/someone sinister in the park? Not sure how to explain the clothing and especially the jewelry left behind, though.
2. Planned her own disappearance, either alone or with the help of someone else? Could she have used her time in the cathedral to put on an underlayer (something that would have fit in her bag), then shed her outer clothing and belongings in the park (but then still had something on as protection from the cold)? Could she have used a kayak or stashed away bike? Gotten a ride from an accomplice? Do any small boats travel that part of the river? Could she have gotten to one of those (maybe by swimming), then "disappeared" that way?
3. Had some sort of medical event (taking off clothes, maybe from thinking she was hot) but wandered somewhere else (not the river) and is either in distress somewhere on land/in a shed or other building/in a wooded area, or met with an untimely end at the hands of another?

Complete speculation. Imo.
I agree Occums Razor its likely she is in the river, but equally I remember not that long ago following the case of the missing Italian Chef who I was convinced was no longer alive in a secluded unkempt cemetery corner, turned out to have run away and managed to slip away unseen. With the NB case fresh in people's mind it would be an idea to disappear on a cold day after so much rain near a river. JMO

Edited to add: JMO

I do feel like with the way the river is, it’s quite clear some days and you can see a LOT of weed. If you ended up in there it maybe hard to get out. It does also flow fairly steadily. A body could end up a log way down stream. As we know. IMOO

Back to basics - all this talk of her taking her rings off. Do we know when she took them off? Was it when she got to the park? I think it could make some difference to our theories if we knew when she took them off.
@formerpolicestaff

Gaynor’s clothing, that she had been wearing when she went missing, including a white shirt, yellow tank top plus two rings and her mobile phone and glasses, were found in the park in various locations. Her olive-coloured coat was discovered in the water

See CCTV in link above.

She is running and walking at apace, which would indicate she had to be somewhere quickly to do something or meet someone.

This does not seem like the actions of someone about to take their own life. It could transpire a Nicola Bulley situation where she was in a hurry and took shortcut and fell into the water.
I think all we can really conclude is that she looks purposeful. She doesn’t appear to be meandering aimlessly.

Worth remembering, too, that people sometimes take their own life while suffering from hallucinations, delusions or mania too. If you believed, for example, that an assassin was chasing you (as experienced by my friend, once upon a time), you might also walk fast and do unexpected things.
JMO and not suggesting there’s any indication that Gaynor suffers from any of the above.

@formerpolicestaff

Gaynor’s clothing, that she had been wearing when she went missing, including a white shirt, yellow tank top plus two rings and her mobile phone and glasses, were found in the park in various locations. Her olive-coloured coat was discovered in the water
That's what I read too, which makes me think 2 things:

1) was all of this forcefully removed from her by someone?
2) in a fit of mania, she removed it all herself

If it's 2), then she must have been going through something extremely bad for her to resort to doing that.

There's a lot more to this story, I think.

Just caught up with this thread after seeing the headline on BBC News.

It's perplexing this one and the following details make it difficult to really settle on a theory. I hope this is due to the police withholding information for whatever reasons and that's why it doesn't really make sense at the moment.

* Leaving work 1hr 15mins early - this draws attention from other staff and management, imo suicide unlikely
* Rushing, near collision with a car - her mind definitely on where she needs to be. Meeting someone? Emergency phone call?
* Clothing, coat and jewellery left in different spots - leans more towards suicide, but then I'd question if 4pm would be the best time, surely early morning or late evening would reduce the risk of being seen/saved.
* Unaccounted time in cathedral - I believe police know what's occured here, as others have suggested there would be CCTV. Did she go to pray before jumping in the river? Did she meet someone there? She is still walking with purpose and focus leaving the cathedral in my opinion.

* Yoga - I'm with others with this, I suspect she was seen sat on the grass meditating/deep in thought, rather than doing downward dog. It's a strange time of day and year to be doing yoga in a park...in your work clothes.

* Do we know for sure that she didn't leave the park? And that the items left are red herrings, placed either by herself or by unknown other?

The build up to Christmas is a rubbish time for some people and can be very stressful. Some people can't face another new year :(

I highly suspect she is in the river either suicide or accidental. However it would not surprise to find out the police have a person of interest at a further press release.

Yes she’s clearly wearing wedding / engagement rings in the photos of her leaving work. The new photos issued look like a completely different person to the earlier released images, I wouldn’t have thought this is the same woman.
I hope I am wrong but this I fear will not end well.

Just wanted to comment that Gaynor looking happy/smiling when leaving work, doesn't equate to suicide being unlikely, or no signs of it. A few years ago on mental health training I learnt that a common phenomenon prior to someone attempting/completing suicide is an apparent uplift in mood, seeming happier etc. This is due to the fact that the person has made a plan, and feels somewhat relieved by it.

<modsnip: Please don't discuss other members>

Her walking briskly could also be due to the fact that she had a plan. Of course there could be many other reasons; wanted to get out of the busy town environment, feeling stressed etc.

I also think it's not surprising that her husband refused to comment - *to press*. Remember what was said about NB's partner, just awful. Also he is probably beside himself, concerned for his daughters, feels unable to speak and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to comment that Gaynor looking happy/smiling when leaving work, doesn't equate to suicide being unlikely, or no signs of it. A few years ago on mental health training I learnt that a common phenomenon prior to someone attempting/completing suicide is an apparent uplift in mood, seeming happier etc. This is due to the fact that the person has made a plan, and feels somewhat relieved by it.

Obviously we don't know for sure what happened, but those commenting that seeming happy means it's unlikely to be suicide, or that there is no indication of suicide are very misguided.
Her walking briskly could also be due to the fact that she had a plan. Of course there could be many other reasons; wanted to get out of the busy town environment, feeling stressed etc.

I also think it's not surprising that her husband refused to comment - *to press*. Remember what was said about NB's partner, just awful. Also he is probably beside himself, concerned for his daughters, feels unable to speak and so on.
I don't think anyone has said that a smile means it's not likely suicide, but rather what a few of us have identified is that most pics of her show her smiling, and she didn't go missing then - which brings into question the possibility of foul play. As you say, no one knows.

<modsnip>

That being said, I completely agree that the smile could be a facade, I mentioned that a few posts ago. But all accounts say this behaviour is totally out of character for Gaynor, which makes it all the more strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back