Found Deceased UK - Gaynor Lord was last seen in Norwich city centre on London Street heading towards Norwich Cathedral, 2:35 pm, 8 December 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnip - quoted post was removed for telling others how to post>

They are conducting an autopsy, which means they don't know "why" this happened, and so I wondered about a health condition. <modsnip - response to quoted post>

I do hope they know what they're doing when looking for answers for any victim's family. If similar happened to my relative, and an uncommon health condition caused the out-of-character actions, I'd rather find that out than not.

I don't expect we would actually find out anything more about this case, nor should we.
I guess autopsy is always performed in such cases.

JMO

Her suicide could also have been a side effect to a medication. jmo

When a body is fished out of a river, there is always a postmortem.

There will also be an inquest. There has to be an inquest whenever reasonable grounds exist to suspect that a person has died from other than natural causes. Even it's fairly clear they died in an accident, that's not natural causes and there will be an inquest.

A body was found on Friday. An inquest will probably be opened today.

The body has not been identified. Norfolk police said on Saturday that it was "due" to be identified yesterday, Sunday. We're nearly 11 hours into Monday already.

IF 1) the body is identified as Gaynor Lord's, and IF 2) the police statement stands up that no indication of third-party involvement (I think this means the same as what is also called "foul play") emerged from the postmortem, and IF 3) no indication of foul play emerges from any other source, THEN the verdict will be a) suicide, b) accident, or c) indeterminable between a) and b) and therefore open.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for telling others how to post>

They are conducting an autopsy, which means they don't know "why" this happened, and so I wondered about a health condition. <modsnip - response to quoted post>

I do hope they know what they're doing when looking for answers for any victim's family. If similar happened to my relative, and an uncommon health condition caused the out-of-character actions, I'd rather find that out than not.

I don't expect we would actually find out anything more about this case, nor should we.
There could be any of many different considerations of legitimate public concern, including safety or perceived safety in the park, the maintenance of the river bank, the safety, prescription and licencing of medications, the quality of pastoral care, the diagnosis of illness, to goodness knows what.

Last edited:
For those interested, Norfolk Police have updated their timeline of Gaynor's last known movements. Interesting that this new version now explains the missing half-hour. Also IMO interesting that she twice walked along a road adjacent to the river, there and back, like she was checking something out maybe? JMO.
I wish they (or someone) would publish a map, for the benefit of those of us who are unfamiliar with Norwich city centre. At 2.50 she enters the cathedral grounds, and at 3.22 she exits "through the archway" which may possibly mean she exits from the cathedral grounds having stayed in them since 2.50, but not knowing Norwich I don't know. Certainly a cathedral close can be distinct and separate from what people call the cathedral grounds and it can have its own archway entrances. (Whether this is so in Norwich I don't know.)

Norfolk police say the last sighting of GL on CCTV was at 3.49. They then list three later times and places at which she was walking - and a fourth when she was either stationary or walking and in connection to which they refer to a sighting.

How are the police choosing what info to release? What we're getting is almost all to do with GL walking after she left work, rather than, say, any points at which she stayed still, or spoke to someone, or did something other than walking along, and what she did before she left work, whether an hour before or a week before.

I wish they (or someone) would publish a map, for the benefit of those of us who are unfamiliar with Norwich city centre. At 2.50 she enters the cathedral grounds, and at 3.22 she exits "through the archway" which may possibly mean she exits from the cathedral grounds having stayed in them since 2.50, but not knowing Norwich I don't know. Certainly a cathedral close can be distinct and separate from what people call the cathedral grounds and it can have its own archway entrances. (Whether this is so in Norwich I don't know.)

Norfolk police say the last sighting of GL on CCTV was at 3.49. They then list three later times and places at which she was walking - and a fourth when she was either stationary or walking and in connection to which they refer to a sighting.

How are the police choosing what info to release? What we're getting is almost all to do with GL walking after she left work, rather than, say, any points at which she stayed still, or spoke to someone, or did something other than walking along, and what she did before she left work, whether an hour before or a week before.

If you go to google maps, you can enter Norwich, UK cathedral, go to street view and see the areas she walked. Hope that helps.

She is listed on the police site as having been walking on Riverside Road and Riverside walk during that half-hour where it was previously thought she was in the cathedral grounds. I've looked at the route on Google Maps. It's quite long-winded and her movements don't entirely make sense. IMO it looks like she went back on herself after checking a route out. JMO.

She is listed on the police site as having been walking on Riverside Road and Riverside walk during that half-hour where it was previously thought she was in the cathedral grounds. I've looked at the route on Google Maps. It's quite long-winded and her movements don't entirely make sense. IMO it looks like she went back on herself after checking a route out. JMO.
I wonder if she had second thoughts?

Norfolk police announced at 2.18pm today (Monday) that the body found in the river was identified yesterday as GL's.

They say Friday's Home Office postmortem found no indications of "any third-party involvement" (i.e. homicide). They are not treating the death as suspicious. They say they're awaiting a toxicology report before confirming the cause of death, the first indications being "consistent" with drowning. (I'm guessing they want to form an opinion on whether she was under the influence of any substances.)

They continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding GL's disappearance.

Going by the water a few times could mean that she was waiting until there were no witnesses. She may have noticed people and kept walking until there were none.

My BIL took his own life. His wife knew how much he struggled, but few other people did. It is a horrible thing to recover from for the survivors. My thoughts are with her loved ones - friends and family alike.

Going by the water a few times could mean that she was waiting until there were no witnesses. She may have noticed people and kept walking until there were none.

My BIL took his own life. His wife knew how much he struggled, but few other people did. It is a horrible thing to recover from for the survivors. My thoughts are with her loved ones - friends and family alike.

I had a friend who took her own life some years ago. Nobody knew that she was desperate. On the outside she was glowing, almost manic. She wrote us all a letter asking us to give a talk that she was due to give 'in case I don't turn up.' It was so very unexpected and shocking.

I had a friend who took her own life some years ago. Nobody knew that she was desperate. On the outside she was glowing, almost manic. She wrote us all a letter asking us to give a talk that she was due to give 'in case I don't turn up.' It was so very unexpected and shocking.

I am so sorry for your loss during that time. I think that if someone hasn't experienced a suicide from someone close to them, it is hard to understand how shocking it really can be!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor
Back