Gerald Alfred Quigley

CS33378849.jpg
Gerald-Quigley.jpg

• Age at disappearance: 25
  • Missing Since: 03-Apr-1999
  • Missing from: Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tyne and Wear
  • Reference No: 08-005270
His profile on Missing People org page - Help us find Gerald Quigley

FB group created by his family. I wanted to cry seeing it has only 35 members so far. Gerald, former soldier, has been missing 20 years this year! Please join and share to bring awareness to his case - Log into Facebook | Facebook

37045765_10156445294682456_8369178886507855872_n.jpg

Last edited:
20 November 2015
Sixteen year mystery: fresh appeal to find missing man

Police are launching a fresh appeal for information to try and trace a missing man who was last seen in 1999.

Gerald Alfred Quigley, who was from Courtfield Road in Walker, Newcastle, was last seen at his home on April 3, 1999.

He was reported missing by his girlfriend at the time and a missing person investigation was carried out.

Gerald was known to have links with London and Surrey.

When Gerald went missing he was 25-years-old and around 5ft 6ins tall. He had a spotty complexion and brown eyes. He had "Always wanted, Always loved" tattooed across his shoulders and a skull tattoo on his left arm.
---
Gerald has been missing for more than 16 years and in that time police have carried out a full missing persons investigation and a number of reviews, to try and locate him.

We know that when he went missing Gerald was acting unusual - his girlfriend at the time told us that he looked distressed, however he had never been missing before and his disappearance was very out of character.
---
We have to keep an open mind in terms of what happened to him. He may have gone missing or he could have been the victim of foul play - there is a chance that something criminal could have happened to him, and if that's the case then we want to investigate this and find out what happened.

He could have gone anywhere in the country and we are launching this fresh appeal in the hope that someone, somewhere, may have some information that might help us get answers for his family. I'd urge anyone with any information at all to contact us, pass it on, and try and help us solve this 16-year-old mystery".

– Detective Inspector Helen Anderson, from Newcastle CID

Sixteen year mystery: fresh appeal to find missing man

19 NOV 2015
New investigation launched into Walker man who vanished 16 years ago

Officers are urging anyone who knows what happened to Gerald Quigley, of Walker, Newcastle, to break their silence now
---
The 25-year-old vanished without a trace from his Newcastle home in 1999 and no one has seen or heard from him since.
---
Gerald was born in the South East but had settled in the Walker area of Newcastle, where he lived with his partner Sharon on Courtfield Road, after a spell in the army.
---
He was last seen leaving the house they shared at around 5pm on April 3 1999. He was reported missing to police on April 13 after his family, who were unused to going so long without speaking to him, became worried.

In the run-up to his disappearance Gerald and Sharon had been going through some relationship problems. But Det Insp Anderson explained it was unheard of for him to go so long without contacting his wife or his mother and brothers, who live in London.

“He was a person who would regularly keep on contact with his family, he was one of five brothers and close to his family,” she said. “It was completely out of character, they would have expected him to have been in contact with them and there was no reason why he wouldn’t have been. We know that when he went missing Gerald was acting unusual - his girlfriend at the time told us that he looked distressed.
---
When Gerald went missing he was 25-years-old and around 5ft 6ins tall. He had a spotty complexion and brown eyes. He had “Always wanted, Always loved” tattooed across his shoulders and a skull tattoo on his left arm.

New investigation launched into Walker man who vanished 16 years ago

Case Study - Gerald Quigley

10 Jul 2018 — Gerald Quigley was born in the South East but had settled in the Walker area of Newcastle when he went missing after serving in the British Army. He was 25yrs old and was last seen on 3 April 1999 leaving the home he shared with his partner on Courtfield Road.

Gerald is approximately 5ft 10in with brown hair and brown eyes. He has “Always wanted, Always loved” tattooed across his shoulders. He has links to London and Surrey.

A note from Peter Quigley (brother)

“For those who know nothing or little of Gerald's case, on the 3rd April 1999 at the age of 25, he left his home in Courtfield Road, Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne. However, his disappearance was not reported to Northumbria Police until the 13th April, some ten days after him walking out. The fact there are ten days between disappearance and reporting, leads me to believe Gerald may have come to harm by someone he knew, or was deliberate to allow him a head start in leaving his old life behind him. What resources Gerald had on him when he left, we do not know. The police have been unable to trace or recover his mobile phone, there are no signs of him having his passport and money. Although if he had any money it would have been very little. So with the background covered, I am now going to talk about 'our' experiences as a Missing Persons Family with the authorities over the nineteen years since Geralds' disappearance in 1999.

Although along the way I have done what I could do in the search for Gerald, it was my parents who have not given hope that Gerald will either return to us in person, or will be found and it was my late father who kept up the contact between the family and the Police, until his passing in early 2013.

In the begining we were visited by a local police constable from the Metropolitan Police, telling my late father he was to make contact with Northumbria Police. Soon after this request was made, two detectives travelled down, they interviewed us individually, my parents together and the whole family. There seemed to be something not quite right with the way they spoke with us, however we gave them their answers and as much information regarding Gerald and his life thus far as we could. At this time they were unsure of Gerald's whereabouts but offered great hope in the efforts to locate him.

Within a couple of months, my father was asked to attend the local police station with a family member or close friend. As he had suffered tragedy in his own young life, he asked a local priest and close friend of the family to accompany him. He was shown some photographic evidence of human remains, which thankfully were unidentifiable to be Gerald. The priest informed the police that my father was not in great health and if there was an easier way of going through this process? Later that month some police officers attended my parents home to take their DNA and informed that whenever human remains are found, DNA is taken and run through a national DNA register/database. Which meant both the Police and the family could potentially know quicker and with less anguish caused to my parents.

Soon after this my mother wrote to Nick Ross at Crimewatch, to see if they could appeal for Gerald. The response was not a positive one when we were told that Crimewatch only appealed cases supplied to them by the various Police forces around the UK.

Gerald at this point had only been missing for a couple of years and we felt very much alone. When my mother received this response my father contacted Northumbria Police who informed him to get in touch with the local Missing Persons unit as Gerald's case had not been reopened for a little while. At this time through an acquaintance we made contact with Missing People who also took up a torch in the search for Gerald.

My father with the Police saw Gerald's case was sent for review and then sent back as it was felt that the Police had not investigated properly and there were things which needed reviewing and re-examining. Obviously details were not mentioned as not to compromise the case. My father was informed that procedure meant Gerald's case would be open for annual review to which he probably only received a small number of phonecalls and then nothing.

In 2009, I made contact with the BBC's program 'Missing' and they were to air an appeal for Gerald. As I worked for quite a large flagship company at the time, they kindly allowed for Gerald's case to be broadcast around the business in the UK. Then right at the last minute the appeal was pulled from air, for someone whose needs were greater. In order to have Gerald's case aired we needed permission from Northumbria Police. At the time his case was still with the area station, but none there knew it was meant to be an active ongoing case and so were happy for us to act and go ahead.

A while after Dad died, my brother's ex-wife appeared, re-establishing contact through social media. Things that had been said in the past were no longer been mentioned and recollections had drastically changed as if there were denials. After a conversation lasting the course of a few nights with our Mum, I decided to enquire regarding complaining over the way Gerald's case had been handled and so began to research how this could be done. I then sat and composed a letter raising my concerns and a belief that there were failings on the part of the Police.

The police asked us what we as the family wanted, obviously we wanted Gerald back, we responded with a new investigation which was agreed upon. It was always made known that my letter had led Northumbria Police to discover there were over fifty family's in the same position as us and it had caused a shake-up in the manner they dealt with missing people cases. Certain people the police wanted to speak to in the Newcastle area were no longer available to speak with and certain lines of enquiry were followed with negative results.

Although we believed the Police were doing all they could, including a media campaign, we still felt anguished and helpless. Soon we were given the news that it would be down to us to keep looking for Gerald through social media, the internet and other family members, as his case would remain unsolved and eligible only for an annual review.

Northumbria Police failed to make contact at the begining of 2017 and so I made contact with them, not only due to not receiving the promised annual review but because Gerald's eldest daughter had made contact with me with some messages from her mother, which I thought the Police should look into further, even if they were just sent in anger, there was still some weight to them. Eventually the case was given to a detective to re-examine and make certain checks that the police are able to make with other government agencies, but no movement on other issues raised. The officer also made some promises but then I feel I was fobbed off with a standard answer to say it had previously been done and there was no need to go down that route again.

I feel that even though the Police have tried to make up for their past shortcomings, there is something with Gerald's case which just not ring true and someone, somewhere knows a vital piece of information concerning his disappearance and complete lack of contact with his family. I have one parent that has gone to his grave having buried his siblings and his baby daughter, but not knowing what happened to his second son. I do not want my mum to suffer the same fate”.

https://www.change.org/p/introduce-...sure-more-missing-people-are-found/u/22994723

Police are launching a fresh appeal for information to find a missing Newcastle man – who was last seen 20 years ago today.

55818964_10156297006771309_388129172267991040_n.jpg

55833093_10156297006241309_2503927098473709568_n.jpg
56165165_10156297006221309_3617777023595839488_n.jpg

(new photos released - click to enlarge)

Gerald Alfred Quigley, who was from Courtfield Road in Walker, Newcastle, was last seen at his home address on April 3, 1999.

He was reported missing by his girlfriend at the time and a missing person investigation was carried out at the time of his disappearance.

An investigation to trace him was carried out but detectives have never been able to trace Gerald. Gerald was 25-years-old when he went missing and was known to have links with the London and Surrey areas.

Officers are keeping an open mind around the circumstances of his disappearance but they are still keen to get answers for his family.

When Gerald went missing he was about 5ft 6ins tall, had a spotty complexion and brown eyes. He had "Always wanted, Always loved" tattooed across his shoulders and a skull tattoo on his left arm.

Detective Sergeant Laura Stabler has been reviewing the case as part of the 20 year anniversary and says any new information will be reviewed and investigated.

She said: "Police carried out an extensive search to locate Gerald in both Newcastle and in the south of the country. “Over the years we have received bits of information but nothing has been able to shed any light on why he may have disappeared.

"He could have gone anywhere in the country and we are launching this fresh appeal in the hope that someone, somewhere, may have some information that might help us get answers for his family. “We have to keep an open mind in terms of what happened to him and there is always a chance that he is still alive, however unlikely that may seem.

“He may have gone missing of his own accord or he could have been the victim of foul play, if that is the case then there will be people out there who will have information.
“We know that when he went missing Gerald was in a low mood, however he had never been missing before and his disappearance was very out of character.

“I'd urge anyone with any information at all to contact us, pass it on, and try and help us bring Gerald’s family some closure almost two decades after he disappeared.”

Gerald’s brother has also backed the fresh appeal for information and has encouraged anyone who can help the search to contact police. Peter Quigley, who lives in London, said: “It has been 20 years today since Gerald disappeared and we still want to know what has happened to him.

“It has been impossible for us to get any closure and until we know otherwise, there is a chance that he is still out there and living his life. “If that is the case I want to ask him directly to get in touch with police and let us know that he is okay.

“If somebody does know where he is, I would want to encourage them to come forward. Two decades have passed but I believe someone out there can give us some answers.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Northumbria Police on 101 quoting reference M003725/11 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

You can also report online at www.northumbria.police.uk, email central.intelligence@northumbria.pnn.police.uk or contact the charity ‘Missing People’ on 116000 or 116000@missingpeople.org.uk

Northumbria Police

Last edited:
I'm trying to get a hold on this man's domestic situation as the words "girlfriend", "partner" and "wife" are all used in these articles and it's confusing.

Was he separated from his wife and with a new woman at the time?

It sounds like his daughters mom knows something...

I'm trying to get a hold on this man's domestic situation as the words "girlfriend", "partner" and "wife" are all used in these articles and it's confusing.

Was he separated from his wife and with a new woman at the time?

It sounds like his daughters mom knows something...

Hi,

I am Gerald's younger brother. I have only come across this site today and saw that you posted a question sometime ago in relation to Gerald.

Although separated from his wife, he allowed her to remain in the home, as not to see her out on the streets or in a toxic environment that she previously lived in. I have since learned that the person we believed to have been Gerald's girlfriend/partner at the time of his disappearance may just have been a female acquaintance he also allowed to use his home.

Hi,

I am Gerald's younger brother. I have only come across this site today and saw that you posted a question sometime ago in relation to Gerald.

Although separated from his wife, he allowed her to remain in the home, as not to see her out on the streets or in a toxic environment that she previously lived in. I have since learned that the person we believed to have been Gerald's girlfriend/partner at the time of his disappearance may just have been a female acquaintance he also allowed to use his home.

Hi Pete, thank you for answering my question and sorry to see you here under these circumstances.

Do you have any thoughts on what you think happened to your brother?

Hi Pete, thank you for answering my question and sorry to see you here under these circumstances.

Do you have any thoughts on what you think happened to your brother?

Obviously for my family's sake, I have to keep an open mind, especially as there is no definitive evidence that supports any theory. However, having had no contact from Gerald, I feel there can only be two outcomes. The first he has suffered some sort of mental break and has just up and left to go at life alone or under a new identity. The second and most devastating is that he has come to harm, either by the hands of others or by his own. But again, there is no defining evidence to support either.

When Gerald left his home, his resources would have been limited, but then there was a time of silence between him leaving home in Newcastle to being reported as a missing person. He has not claimed anything from the state, well not under his real name, no medical records since prior to disappearance, so if he is alive, it could be as some one else.

Obviously for my family's sake, I have to keep an open mind, especially as there is no definitive evidence that supports any theory. However, having had no contact from Gerald, I feel there can only be two outcomes. The first he has suffered some sort of mental break and has just up and left to go at life alone or under a new identity. The second and most devastating is that he has come to harm, either by the hands of others or by his own. But again, there is no defining evidence to support either.

When Gerald left his home, his resources would have been limited, but then there was a time of silence between him leaving home in Newcastle to being reported as a missing person. He has not claimed anything from the state, well not under his real name, no medical records since prior to disappearance, so if he is alive, it could be as some one else.

Did he suffer with mental health problems prior to him going missing?

It would definitely be easier to up sticks and start again back in the 90's compared with today with all of the technological advances in the last 20 years. Would he have had any reason to leave? I know you said obviously he was separated from his wife.

Do you know who the last person to see him was? Was it the ex-wife? Who noticed he was missing first and reported it?

Sorry for all the questions I just feel these are important details.

Thank you

April 3, 2024

Danielle Cranson, from Ashington, is desperate to find out what happened to the dad she never knew

When adopted Danielle Cranson went in search of her birth parents she had no idea she would discover a tragic mystery had been haunting her family for years.

Danielle, who was just three years old when she was adopted, had hoped for a happy reunion with her real parents when at the age of 20 she decided to try and track them down. But instead the 28-year-old found out her father, Gerald Quigley, had vanished without a trace around the time she was taken into care, and he is still missing now 25 years later.

Continued at link.

Brother hopes sibling will return after 25 years​

3 April 2024

Old photograph of Gerald Quigley in a living room.

IMAGE SOURCE, PETE QUIGLEY
Gerald Quigley, who was living in Walker, Newcastle, was reported missing by his girlfriend in 1999

The family of a man who went missing 25 years ago said they remain hopeful that one day he will return.

Gerald Quigley was 25 years old when he disappeared from his home in Walker, Newcastle, on 3 April, 1999.

Despite no new information or sightings, his family, who live in the south-east of England, continue to search for answers.

Northumbria Police is urging anyone with information to make contact so Mr Quigley's loved ones can get "the closure they deserve".

His younger brother, Pete Quigley, now 45, from Kingston upon Thames, said he still has hope his brother is alive after being missing for a quarter of a century.

"Until there's evidence to show otherwise you have to hold on to that hope, cause it's that hope that drives you forward," he told BBC Radio Newcastle.

Their mother, Yvonne, said her "maternal instincts" lead her to the same conclusion, and their late-father, Gerry, also believed he would see his son again.

Mr Quigley said, after his father's death in 2013, it was "difficult to know they will never reconnect".

Pete and Gerald Quigley as children riding a fair ride
IMAGE SOURCE, PETE QUIGLEY
Pete Quigley, pictured left as a young boy with Gerald, believes his brother could be alive

He added "the door is always open" for his brother to return home, no matter how much time had passed.

[…]

Anyone with new information should contact the force through its report a missing person page.

[…]

• AGE AT DISAPPEARANCE​

• MISSING FROM​

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Tyne And Wear
  • MISSING SINCE​

03/04/1999
  • REFERENCE NO​

08-005270

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online