Found Deceased UK - Iain Hughes, 42, missing whilst swimming for charity across the English Channel, 20 June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

StillDiggin

Reaction score
A firefighter has gone missing while on a charity swim across the English Channel, it has been confirmed.
Iain Hughes, from Dudley, started the solo challenge with a support boat on Tuesday from Dover before disappearing.
Mr Hughes, 42, remains missing despite a search involving military helicopters and navy and police boats.
Based at Wednesbury fire station, he posted on social media two weeks ago that the swim had been delayed because of bad weather.
In a statement, West Midlands Fire Service said: "We are heartbroken to confirm that one of our crew managers, Iain Hughes, is missing after his inspiring attempt to swim the English Channel for charity."
Mr Hughes, a married father-of-two who has been with the fire service since the age of 19, currently works in its technical rescue unit.

The support boat didn't see him go under? I'm assuming it follows next to him, but maybe not.
I'm sure they did, I'm a ultra swimmer (23 miles plus etc). The thing is you can go under quickly and not enough time for the boat to reach you...you can usually be 25 meters plus away from the boat. I was following his swim on the tracker and was wondering what happened as we all watched the boat retrace, and not in a normal turnaround pattern. If it was sudden, like stroke or heart attack he could be gone in seconds sadly. At least he passed doing what he loved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCpsyche
Back