UK Uk - Irish Sea, Body discovered in fishing nets, Mar'19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

HayLouise

Law Student
Reaction score
_106185128_body3.jpg

A body recovered from the Irish Sea has been brought to Portavogie harbour in County Down by the fishing crew who discovered it in their nets.

The trawler, Elegance, was fishing for prawns near the Isle of Man when the decomposed body became caught.

The boat arrived back in Portavogie early on Tuesday. The crew and skipper are said to be very shocked.

Police and forensic teams examined the boat and removed the body.

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out.

The harbour master, Eddie Robinson, was called to the scene late on Monday night.

"When I came down, there wasn't much I could do other than take care of the crew," he said.

"I brought them down to our rest room, there was heating on for them and I got them settled in for the night.

"These guys live on the boat. They had nowhere else to go. The Fishermen's Mission is looking after them now and they will take good care of them."

Mr Robinson said the skipper of the boat was "badly shaken up" and the crew were shocked and "at sixes and sevens".

He said the boat is operated by a local skipper.

He said he believed most of the crew were from India.

Crew spot body caught in trawler's nets

Human remains discovered at sea near Northern Ireland harbour

Peye%20Body%20find%2003.jpg

Efforts are underway to establish the identity and a cause of death of the deceased. There are no further details at present.

Strangord MP Jim Shannon said that a fishing vessel had discovered a body near the harbour.

SDLP Councillor Joe Boyle said: “I would appeal to anyone with information to contact the PSNI at this time."

Human remains discovered at sea near Northern Ireland harbour - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Discovery of body by Northern Ireland fishermen a 'real shock to the system'

2019-03-27_new_49075784_I1.JPG

"I got a call from the Coastguard to say that there had been an incident at sea and everybody had been brought ashore," he said.

"The crew were not allowed on the boat at that point because it was regarded as a crime scene.

"It was a real shock to the system for everyone, they were all badly shaken up by it."

"He (Alan) felt that if he stayed at home he would just sit there thinking about it," he said.

"The crew members live on the boat so there is nowhere for them to go they're all away back out. They just want to move on as soon as possible."

Discovery of body by Northern Ireland fishermen a 'real shock to the system' - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

DNA testing for remains discovered by fishermen

190514189-57c210fb-725f-4987-8a15-7513497f471f.jpg

A decomposed body, discovered after being pulled up in nets by fishermen working on a Co Down vessel is to undergo DNA testing.

DNA testing to try and identify the remains against a data base of missing people will now take place, with efforts to establish how the body came to be in the Irish Sea.

The body was brought to Portavogie harbour in Co Down on Monday by the fishing crew who discovered it while fishing for prawns near the Isle of Man.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/nort...-by-fishermen-to-undergo-dna-testing-1583794/

Portavogie Harbour sealed off after human remains found

0_Portavogie-Body-5_Lewis.jpg

A spokesman told Belfast Live: "Police are currently at Portavogie Harbour following the discovery of human remains at sea.

"Efforts are underway to establish the identity and a cause of death for the deceased.

"There are no further details at present."

Co Down harbour sealed off after human remains found

A friend said: “They are all quite shocked by the incident. The six crew are non-European nationals with work permits and they live on the trawler – it’s one of the biggest ones in the harbour.

“So that made it a bit more difficult for them. This trawler is their home.

“The skipper thought it would be better to get back to work or they’d be thinking what had happened.”

A source said: “It’s going to be quite a task to identify this poor man. He could be from anywhere. He could have been working on a cargo ship, a fishing ship, a harbour or even a coastal farm.

“It’s been a shock to the community but we have to be grateful that this man who has been missing has now been found and his family will be able to have their goodbyes.”

Mr Robinson said: “We have lost people to the sea and have recovered bodies but we have never had a trawler pull in a body.

“The situation has been very upsetting. We just hope now some good will come out of it for this person’s family. We hope they will get some closure.”

Co Down fishermen tell of shock at dredging up human remains

bbm

Q Radio News‏ @qnewsdesk

Portavogie Harbour Master Eddie Robinson says the crew of a fishing boat have been left shaken after a dead body was found in one of their fishing nets early this morning. The red vessel (seen behind him) has just set off back to sea.

Q Radio News on Twitter

(Video at link)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x