UK UK - Jack O'Sullivan, 22, left friends after night out, last seen Brunel Lock Road/Brunel Way, Bristol at 3.15am, 2 Mar 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Notice they don't give any information about their visit to the address, really.

They don't say whether they believe he was ever at this address.

They don't say they were able to rule out involvement of someone at that address. (And even if they had said they ruled them out, I would still wonder.)

They don't say if they believe their visit yielded any useful information.

It seems so important, this address and their visit. Yet they don't want to say anything about it yet. Wonder what that could mean.
The address was an electricity substation not a house.

Well, that certainly makes a difference! So there was no one to talk to there, I suppose. Which leaves the question of how did his phone get there? And why is this not a crucial element of the search for Jack?
From the Find Jack Facebook group, his mum has confirmed the police enquired about Ring Doors down that road, but this didn't yield any results. The Ring Doors that were there did not hold any footage of that date (suspected on the FB page that the owners simply don't pay for the subscription. You need to do this in order to access historical videos). Annoying. There is no evidence that he was physically at Granby Hill.

From the Find Jack Facebook group, his mum has confirmed the police enquired about Ring Doors down that road, but this didn't yield any results. The Ring Doors that were there did not hold any footage of that date (suspected on the FB page that the owners simply don't pay for the subscription. You need to do this in order to access historical videos). Annoying. There is no evidence that he was physically at Granby Hill.
Just to clarify, he wasn't there, but his phone was? As in someone else had his phone there? Or neither he nor his phone was there, and the info that tracked it there was in error? thx

Just to clarify, he wasn't there, but his phone was? As in someone else had his phone there? Or neither he nor his phone was there, and the info that tracked it there was in error? thx

Phone was sending signals from an address at Granby Hill, about 3 hours after he was last seen on CCTV. He’s not on any camera after being seen on Bennett Way.

I guess it comes down to how accurate are these pings. Is it to the metre, in which case the phone was indeed at that house. Or is it a more general area? Could be within a much wider area, in which case the phone could have been anywhere within a certain radius. Even in the Basin or the River.

Well, that certainly makes a difference! So there was no one to talk to there, I suppose. Which leaves the question of how did his phone get there? And why is this not a crucial element of the search for Jack?
His phone most likely was not there. The Find My Friends and similar apps are not always accurate, they depend on lots of different factors to try to pin point where a device is, including whether the phone has wifi switched on and connected, whether there are lots of other iphones in the vicinity to triangulate with and other factors. That is one main reason why police cannot use these apps to get a search warrant -- because they are not always all that accurate.

So it is very possible that the phone was in the very general area but not there specifically.

The address was an electricity substation not a house.
It's quite a long road and judging from the distance from his last known location he must have either gone back on himself to get there and if he got there then that means he was away from the water which only adds to the suspicious nature of this... If that last ping at Granby hill wasn't there then I would put it down to drunk lad fell in the water but Granby hill is away from water so it's a bit dodgy

It's quite a long road and judging from the distance from his last known location he must have either gone back on himself to get there and if he got there then that means he was away from the water which only adds to the suspicious nature of this... If that last ping at Granby hill wasn't there then I would put it down to drunk lad fell in the water but Granby hill is away from water so it's a bit dodgy
But his friends say he wasn’t even that drunk. Unless someone did something to him, pushed him in the water, stole his phone and then ditched it at Granby but even then where is the phone now and where’s Jack??

But his friends say he wasn’t even that drunk. Unless someone did something to him, pushed him in the water, stole his phone and then ditched it at Granby but even then where is the phone now and where’s Jack??
I haven’t read any comments from his friends. Do you have a link for this?

His Mum has posted on the Facebook group today:
“Please help us find our son Jack. Someone knows something. Pass on any information that will help us find him. Thank you”

Do you think the released data has shed some new information or am I looking into it too much?

I have been following the story of Jack O'Sullivan which is a real mystery and tonight I came across this very informative and well written article:

Jack's family managed during this past week to get EE to release the phone data from Jack's phone to an independent analyst for scrutiny, living in the hope of finding Jack.

Jacks mum says that the police have let them down after fixating on the notion that Jack ended up in the River Avon. Extensive searches of the Avon spanning 200 hours, have, however come up with no trace of Jack.

But because of the police fixating on the assumption that Jack will have ended up in the Avon, they did not retain vital CCTV footage which goes beyond the last sighting of Jack walking back up Bennett Way, hence the family have lodged a complaint about the police to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Catherine (Jacks Mum) however, seems to be fixating herself on the notion that Jack got into some sort of vehicle and for some unknown reason, was driven off and just dropped off somewhere and is still alive.

If this had been the case, surely by now Jack, reportedly good at keeping in touch with his family, would have found his way to get word to his family as to where he was, even if that meant a long walk from being dumped in some remote location perhaps to raise the alarm. So does her notion stack up?

Sometimes even the most intelligent of people decide they just cannot handle their lives and up sticks and disappear.

The actor Stephen Fry went missing on his family and spent that time in oversees where he had a breakdown. Once Fry came to terms with this he returned to the UK and had the courage to come out as gay. This is not a unique story.

Many years ago when I lived in a big old house divided up into flats in Liverpool where I went to University I dropped my then 4 year old daughter off at school and I went home and had made myself a drink and walking into my living room I noticed a poor homeless man sit on a low wall around Sefton Park which I lived opposite from, it was snowing and he was shivering.

I went out and offered him a hot coffee and to my utter astonishment this homeless vagrant in a very posh accent replied "Oh that would be most welcome"!
He saw my shocked face at his posh accent and explained that he had been pressured by his wealthy parents into reading law, they wanted him to become a barrister.
He said he hated mixing with their pretentious friends and being forced to be someone he really preferred not to be and so he absconded and is now happier living rough and being who he wants to be as he has his freedom and whilst it's cold out on the street he doesn't have to feel forced to achieve what others tried to design him to achieve.

I was shocked by this, but it sure made me realise that sometimes people choose to disappear and for all sorts of reasons, not perhaps ones you would expect.

I offered this guy a warm meal in my apartment by a warm fire, but he was happier just having me take him a cup of coffee in a paper cup and maybe a few sandwiches and to eat them outside, he didn't want to get used to cosy home comforts in case he slipped back into what he said might be a horrid restrictive lifestyle numbed by warm home comforts.

People who are sensitive cannot handle pressure and this poor man had felt a lot of pressure from family and just absconded. Often it is the most unlikely people who disappear.

If someone wants to disappear there are ways to do this.

But in the case of any missing person there are several options
(1) They are made to disappear by an attacker
(2) They chose to disappear
(3) They fall into water or meet an untimely end through an accident
(4) they end their lives in a remote location where they choose not to be found
(5) they elope with a love partner who they feel their family may not approve of and these are just some reasons.

But a hypersensitive young person struggling with pressure will want to disappear, they may show no signs of being hypersensitive but deep down they are and something triggers a snapping point and off they go into oblivion until they either want to reappear of if not they just reinvent their lives to live them as they wish to.

An overbearing and smothering family with high expectations of their children achieving well, all too often unwittingly, plunge their children into a domestic and emotional Stockholm Syndrome from which it is hellishly hard to detach from both mentally and emotionally.

Law courses are tough and a very high percentage of law students drop out of their law courses in the first 12 months.

The Law Conversation course Jack was on is apparently 3 years of intensive study condensed into 1 or 2 years, it is supposed to be a very tough course.

I lived in Hoylake on the Wirral many years ago and there was a female tramp who used to try and climb into the tumble dryers in the launderette to get warm.
Then the station porter took pity on her and allowed her to sleep on the benches in the station waiting room where he lit a coal fire for her at night.
Snobby people used to tell the station master off for allowing her to soil the seats in there which was disgraceful and one day I went into the station waiting room to wait for a train and there she was, they used to call her "Blanket Lil" because she pulled a shopping trolley everywhere with a blanket on the top of it.
I saw that she was not well and had a bad cold.
I used what little money I had to buy her some cold medication in the nearby chemist and took it into the station waiting room for her with a hot drink.
She told me that she chose to live the nomadic life she was living to escape her spiteful family who came round to her house to sponge money off her and fight to get her to leave them and not others her wealth.
She could take no more so she became a tramp to escape them.

The station master made Blanket Lil a meal and his kindness in letting her sleep in the warm waiting room was rewarded when she left him 3 huge houses she owned on the promenade in Hoylake.
Her legacy enabled him to sell one of the houses to pay to save the life of his daughter who developed a rare kidney cancer and it afforded her treatment in a top American hospital, so Blanket Lil lives on in the station masters daughter whose life she saved by leaving him her estate.

Blanket Lil is a legend in Hoylake still. The station master found poor Blanket Lil dead in the station waiting room one cold winter morning but she was at least in the comfort of being near a warm coal fire still in the grate near where she lay. There are Angels in many disguises out there.

So sometimes those who misjudge a vagrant lose out on having the honour of getting to know an Angel in disguise.

Jack attended the prestigious Clifton College in Bristol where his Dad Alan apparently taught him and is a house master, his Mum Catherine is a matron at Clifton College, currently on compassionate leave because of Jack going missing.

Jack by all accounts will be a bright guy and at 5ft 10 tall not easy for any unsavoury person to conceal should they have harmed him, heaven forbid.

Jack went to the party in the Hotwells area which looks like a rather dicey area as with the underpasses in the Cumberland Basin.

Clifton College is close to the Hotwells and Ben, Jacks brother lives at the top of Granby Hill in a flat in an large old house which is where Clifton joins Granby Hill.
Interestingly enough Ben's home is within the ping radius where Jack's phone last pinged on the network before it dropped off the network at 6.44 am which was around 3 hours after Jack was last seen walking up Bennett Way at 3.44 am.

So the plot thickens and many theories are out there but no sign of Jack.

Catherine has said that a psychic medium has told her than Jack is in Liverpool but that is a long way from Bristol.

Jacks Monzo debit card has not been used since he disappeared.

But someone wanting to disappear would stash a wad of cash to finance their disappearance and sustenance until they found a place to live and work elsewhere.

Jack was wearing some Armani Trainers, an Armani watch, a Barbour jacket, his keys were attached to an Apple Air Tag (Apple are refusing to release the vital data off that so they may as well have bought snake oil for £600), he had an I-Phone 11 on him, a lambs wool jumper and a pair of Chinos - all expensive items to be wandering around the dangerous and dark paved areas underneath the overhead road system in the Bristol harbour area in the small hours of the morning worse for wear from drinking a lot (and we now know that he did drink a lot) and having fallen down 4 stairs and banged his head, a fellow partygoers stood at the bottom of the stairs mocked Jack saying he had had enough to drink but Jack once he had risen from the floor shoved the guy and left without saying goodbye to the host of the party and his friends - apparently out of character for Jack.
But how many students do you know who would go to a student party in an area like the Hotwells and attempt to walk around a dangerous unsavoury area in search of a taxi for over half an hour before just vanishing?
Was Jack some designer kid, designed by his Mum to look the part to become the perfect son and he got cheesed off with this and the events of the party was the last straw?

I wonder if someone spiked Jack's drink and that is why he was fractious and left the party without saying goodbye to people? He was apparently riled by the teasing from the man who saw him fall down the stairs. Perhaps more went on at that party than has been told to the Private investigator now on the case, then police neglected to find about this so-called light altercation. Not very effective police work is it? No wonder Jack's family are disenchanted with the police.

Perhaps Jack feared he would have to cope with some serious mocking once it got around the Uni he was at the following week and felt unable to face the embarrassment of the ridicule and decided he could not face life in Bristol anymore, so hitched a lift out of the city?

By all accounts something is very wrong.

The more that time passes the more there is a risk of a negative outcome. But the Facebook Find Jack group very swiftly shuts down anyone who make a comment that is in some way negative and is nicknaming Catherine as a "Lioness" and perfect Mum. Catherine rises to this.

At no point, however, in any of the TV and media interviews, appeals and posts on Facebook has Catherine said anything like "if only I had not persuaded Jack to go to that party" and Jack had been in two minds as to whether to go or not.
If something makes you undecided then your gut feeling is telling you that if in doubt you should leave it out.

Jack may not have gone to that party had Catherine not pushed for him to go and meet new friends.
Why is she not showing any more public regret of this? No tears, nothing, very composed and very confident whilst for the most part her husband Alan remains silent and looking somewhat weak and hen pecked and when he has spoken he seemed sheepish as if he feared saying something that Catherine would disapprove of.
Just a vibe and a strong one.
But I guess we all act differently in such situations so I am not in any way condemning Catherine here, I have had loved ones go missing on me at times and it is harrowing so I empathise and I have learned from these harrowing events triggered off sadly by the people who went missing on me, suffering a complete breakdown and just bottling up things instead of reaching out to people, they said they were too embarrassed to do this, I was hurtful and sad to hear this, but everyone is different so we have to make allowances for this.
We are all, only human after all.

It is hard to accept that anyone would go missing in a day and age where we are on CCTV everywhere we go.

I tried to put it to Catherine and her admin on the Facebook group that Jack may now have a full beard and moustache and maybe longer hair and different clothes on, assuming he chose to disappear. I was immediately *advertiser censored* down on that as if I should not dare to assume that Jack would want to appear unshaven and unkempt!

Such a very strange and mysterious case. The outcome could be positive or negative but whatever this may be, I sure hope Catherine for one will be able to cope and that Jack has not come to harm but it is not looking good so far in all honesty, is it?!

Last edited:
I have been following the story of Jack O'Sullivan which is a real mystery and tonight I came across this very informative and well written article:

Jack's family managed during this past week to get EE to release the phone data from Jack's phone to an independent analyst for scrutiny, living in the hope of finding Jack.

Jacks mum says that the police have let them down after fixating on the notion that Jack ended up in the River Avon. Extensive searches of the Avon spanning 200 hours, have, however come up with no trace of Jack.

But because of the police fixating on the assumption that Jack will have ended up in the Avon, they did not retain vital CCTV footage which goes beyond the last sighting of Jack walking back up Bennett Way, hence the family have lodged a complaint about the policer to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Catherine (Jacks Mum) however, seems to be fixating herself on the notion that Jack got into some sort of vehicle and for some unknown reason was driven off and just dropped off somewhere and is still alive. If this had been the case, surely by now Jack, reportedly good at keeping in touch with his family, would have found his way to get word to his family as to where he was, even if that meant a long walk from being dumped in some remote location perhaps to raise the alarm. So does her notion stack up?

Sometimes even the most intelligent of people decide they just cannot handle their lives and up sticks and disappear.

The actor Stephen Fry went missing on his family for 2 years and spent that time in France where a French physician diagnosed him with Bi-Polar depression. Once Fry came to terms with this he returned to the UK and had the courage to come out as gay. This is not a unique story.

Law courses are tough and a very high percentage of law students drop out of their law courses in the first 12 months.

The Law conversation course Jack was on is apparently 3 years of intensive study condensed into 1 or 2 years, it is supposed to be a very tough course.

Jack attended the prestigious Clifton College in Bristol where his Dad Alan apparently taught him and is a house master, his Mum Catherine is a matron at Clifton College, currently on compassionate leave because of Jack going missing.

Jack by all accounts will be a bright guy and at 5ft 10 tall not easy for any unsavoury person to conceal should they have harmed him, heaven forbid.

Jack went to the party in the Hotwells area which looks like a rather dicey area as with the underpasses in the Cumberland Basin. Clifton College is close to the Hotwells and Ben, Jacks brother lives at the top of Granby Hill in a flat in an large old house which is where Clifton joins Granby Hill. Interestingly enough Ben's home is within the ping radius where Jack's phone last pinged on the network before it dropped off the network at 6.44 am which was around 3 hours after Jack was last seen walking up Bennett Way at 3.44 am.

So the plot thickens and many theories are out there but no sign of Jack.

Catherine has said that a psychic medium has told her than Jack is in Liverpool but that is a long way from Bristol.

Jacks Monzo debit card has not been used since he disappeared.

But someone wanting to disappear would stash a wad of cash to finance their disappearance and sustenance until they found a place to live and work elsewhere.

Jack was wearing some Armani Trainers, an Armani watch, a Barbour jacket, his keys were attached to an Apple Air Tag (Apple are refusing to releaser the vital data off that so they may as well have bought snake oil for £600), he had an I-Phone 11 on him, a lambs wool jumper and a pair of Chinos - all expensive items to be wandering around the dangerous and dark paved areas underneath the overhead road system in the Bristol harbour area in the small hours of the morning worse for wear from drinking a lot (and we now know that he did drink a lot) and having fallen down 4 stairs and banged his head, a fellow partygoers stood at the bottom of the stairs mocked Jack saying he had had enough to drink but Jack once he had risen from the floor shoved the guy and left without saying goodbye to the host of the party and his friends - apparently out of character for Jack. But how many students do you know who would go to a student party in an area like the Hotwells and attempt to walk around a dangerous unsavoury area in search of a taxi for over half an hour before just vanishing? Was Jack some designer kid, designed by his Mum to look the part to become the perfect son and he got cheesed off with this and the events of the party was the last straw?

I wonder if someone spiked Jack's drink and that is why he was fractious and left the party without saying goodbye to people? He was riled by the teasing from the man who saw him fall down the stairs.

Perhaps Jack feared he would have to cope with some serious mocking once it got around the Uni he was at the following week and felt unable to face the embarrassment of the ridicule and decided he could not face life in Bristol anymore, so hitched a lift out of the city?

By all accounts something is very wrong.

The more that time passes the more there is a risk of a negative outcome. But the Facebook Find Jack group very swiftly shuts down anyone who make a comment that is in some way negative and is nicknaming Catherine as a "Lioness" and perfect Mum. Catherine rises to this.

At no point in any of the TV and media interviews, appeals and posts on Facebook has Catherine said anything like "if only I had not persuaded Jack to go to that party" and Jack had been in two minds as to whether to go or not. If something makes you undecided then your gut feeling is telling you that if in doubt you should leave it out. Jack may not have gone to that party had Catherine not pushed for him to go and meet new friends. Why is she not showing any more public regret of this? No tears, nothing, very composed and very confident whilst for the most part her husband Alan remains silent and looking somewhat weak and hen pecked and when he has spoken he seemed sheepish as if he feared saying something that Catherine would disapprove of. Just a vibe and a strong one.

It is hard to accept that anyone would go missing in a day and age where we are on CCTV everywhere we go.

I tried to put it to Catherine and her admin on the Facebook group that Jack may now have a full beard and moustache and maybe longer hair and different clothes on, assuming he chose to disappear. I was immediately *advertiser censored* down on that as if I should not dare to assume that Jack would want to appear unshaven and unkempt!

Such a very strange and mysterious case. The outcome could be positive or negative but whatever this may be, I sure hope Catherine for one will be able to cope and that Jack has not come to harm but it is not looking good so far in all honesty, is it?!
Stephen Fry was not missing for two years. He was missing for several DAYS, and resurfaced in Belgium, not France, after having a nervous breakdown while performing in a play with Rik Mayall. And he was diagnosed in the UK.

He came out in the 80s, years before his breakdown.

Last edited:
Stephen Fry was not missing for two years. He was missing for several DAYS, and resurfaced in Belgium, not France, after having a nervous breakdown while performing in a play with Rik Mayall. And he was diagnosed in the UK.

Hi there, I have edited my post in line with your information which I am thankful for, but I got my information from an online newspaper article which I believed to be correct.

Hi there, I have edited my post in line with your information which I am thankful for, but I got my information from an online newspaper article which I believed to be correct.
Yeah, he came out long before his breakdown, too. I just added a link about that.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves
Back