UK UK - Janet Murgatroyd, 20, Preston, Lancs, 15 June 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

LaRojaPyramid

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the Janet Murgatroyd case from 1996? Attacked and murdered in Preston, Lancs. Body disposed in the river. Three suspects really.....main ones. Andrew Greenwood (whom served time for this crime, then was released), A local drug addict (Raymond Hayes), who was found with some of her possessions and her ex boyfriend. Is anyone on here from the Lancashire area and knows anything about this case? She was walking home across a bridge after a night out, she had been watching the England national soccer team playing in the Euro 96 soccer tournament. Andrew Greenwood confessed to the murder, and pleaded drunken memory loss. He was later released after appeal. Apparently police had not entered a piece of evidence (DNA on underwear) that linked her ex BF. Police have stated that they will not pursue anymore suspects or evidence in the case. Does anyone who is familiar with the case agree with this stance? Raymond Hayes was the other suspect in the case was a known thief (currently in jail for it) who was questioned due to being in possession of some of Janet's belongings. He admitted to taking items from her, not realizing she was deceased. He was cleared based upon a strange alibi linked to the temperature of a takeaway he took home to friends after. Apparently this made the timeline impossible. I find Mr.Hayes extremely interesting. If you look into her offenses after, they are mainly attacks from behind. Does anyone else feel like the alibi is flimsy and convenient?
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/10-years-...he-hunt-for-her-killer-still-goes-on-1-107295
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/murder-girl-thief-is-jailed-for-robbery-1-136094http://www.lep.co.uk/news/the-vital-evidence-that-janet-jury-did-not-hear-1-140769

Hi-I live in Lancashire and coincidentally I am also a reporter on the Lancaster Guardian, which is a sister paper of thr LEP. I'm not familiar with this case but as it happened 20 years ago it was slightly before my time with the company. I do however, know the photographer Darren Andrews who it mentions in the copy, found JAnet's bloodstained shirt. I read all three articles and this Raymond Hayes does seem a likely suspect as he was the last person to see her alive. Also he had no compunction when stealing from JAnet while she lay gravely injured, so who is to say he didn't inflict those injuries? It would seem a good case for the police to look into 20years on. I might even be able to speak to the crime reporter on the LEP and see if she could make some enquiries with police. Even after 20 years the case is still solvable with the advent of dna and advanced forensics. I will post again on here with any updates.

That woukd be incredible. A relative of Andrew Greenwood reached out to me, asking for a contact, but I have heard nothing. Hayes is a big person of suspicion I agree. Pickpocketed her at the taxi rank? No chance. Her timeline means she would have just been left by Connell and what girl goes on a walk after being pickpocketed? He had her locket....thats not a pick pocket. Hayes has stated he stoke from her at the taxi rank. Yet other reports say while she was injured? Her Ex BF was also prone to violence apparently, once spitting in her face in public. I have wrote to Graham Gooch who was part of the investigation team....no response. I believe they think they got the right man and thats it.

Leave it with me. I do have contacts within Lancashire Constabulary. . I believe they do have a cold case unit. It's git to be worth a shot. It might take a while but I'll get there. I'll be in touch.

Hi sorry it has taken me so long to get back in touch, I have had some serious family and personal issues to deal with. I have spoken to the police press office and they said the best officers to get in contact with regarding Janet's case would be the serious investigation unit. If you could message me some contact details I could pass these on through the press office and they have said that hopefully an officer can get in touch. I think you can send me a private message through here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know if this is relevant info but it might be .There are only two bridges that you can cross the River Ribble to get from Preston back to Penwortham (where Janet lived).They questioned lots of people who lived in Penwortham and were out in Preston that night(my uncle included) to see if they saw anything on there way home.Maybe some information from these interviews were overlooked?

Don't know if this is relevant info but it might be .There are only two bridges that you can cross the River Ribble to get from Preston back to Penwortham (where Janet lived).They questioned lots of people who lived in Penwortham and were out in Preston that night(my uncle included) to see if they saw anything on there way home.Maybe some information from these interviews were overlooked?

It seems to be such a brazen crime, that I find it hard to believe no one heard anything. I suppose it does depend on location though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi sorry it has taken me so long to get back in touch, I have had some serious family and personal issues to deal with. I have spoken to the police press office and they said the best officers to get in contact with regarding Janet's case would be the serious investigation unit. If you could message me some contact details I could pass these on through the press office and they have said that hopefully an officer can get in touch. I think you can send me a private message through here.

They all appear to be retired

Does your uncle remember the type of questioning? What is your theory on this case? Has your uncle ever shared his thoughts?

Are you still interested is talking about this? I have important information.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-40299576
Janet Murgatroyd murder: Cold case appeal on 21st anniversary

• 16 June 2017

attachment.php

"Janet was a young woman with her whole life ahead of her. A student at the University of Central Lancashire and a part-time staff member with Lancashire Police, she had much to look forward to and enjoy."However, this was all taken away from her in a vicious attack, which we believe was sexually motivated.
"This was an opportunist offence by a very dangerous man who, despite the passage of time, still needs to be brought to justice."
She was seen leaving The Adelphi pub with a man before separating from him and was later spotted sleeping on Fishergate near Preston Railway Station.

Janet was subsequently seen fleeing from a man across Penwortham Bridge, by a taxi driver early on 16 June.

Two witnesses described hearing the sound of a female moaning and saw a man crouched down on the bank of the River Ribble. Detectives think this was Janet and her killer.

Attachments

• _96513830_janet_lancspolice.jpg
    _96513830_janet_lancspolice.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 56
Published on Jun 16, 2017
Detectives investigating the murder of a Penwortham woman 21 years ago have today (Friday, June 16) launched a new appeal for information

Janet Murgatroyd was just 20 when she was found dead in the River Ribble on June 16, 1996. She had been out with a friend the night before but was attacked as she walked home alone from Preston town centre.

On the 21st anniversary of her death detectives have issued a renewed appeal for information in the hope of finding her attacker.
[video=youtube;PJ8z4FRFEO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8z4FRFEO4[/video]

http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2017/0...urgatroyd-was-found-dead-in-the-river-ribble/
Posted on - 16th June, 2017 Author - Ed Walker
Janet’s clothing, with the exception of her jeans, was found on the river bank by Priory Park.

A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as drowning and head injuries.
Following extensive enquiries detectives arrested a 22-year-old man. He was charged by police before being prosecuted and convicted for her murder in October 2002. However, his conviction was later quashed at the Court of Appeal.

The new appeal

Det Chief Insp Gary Brooks said: “I would like to use the 21st anniversary of Janet’s death to appeal to anyone with information which may assist us to please come forward.

“The date was significant for two reasons. Firstly, the bombing of the Arndale Centre in Manchester and secondly, when England played Scotland in Euro 96. These events may help may people to remember what they were doing 21 years ago.
“The person responsible for Janet’s death will have had this horrific act on their conscience for more than two decades. There has to be a possibility the offender confided in someone or someone suspected they may be responsible due to a change in behaviour around this time. Even if you think the information is insignificant, please come forward so we can investigate.

“We still desperately want to solve this crime and anyone who has information about the murder can contact Lancashire Police or Crimestoppers in confidence.”

Anyone with information can call police on 101. Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 5555111.

There will be a podcast on this case in the upcoming week.

Lets hope that this helps movement....

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...t-murgatroyd-murder-new-cctv-footage-revealed
[h=1]Janet Murgatroyd murder: New CCTV footage revealed[/h] The last CCTV footage of a 20-year-old Preston student has been released by Lancashire Police on the 21st anniversary of her death.
The body of Janet Murgatroyd, who attended the University of Central Lancashire, was found in the River Ribble in Preston following a night out in the city.
Lancashire Police have issued an appeal for people to contact them if they have information that might help to catch her killer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson
Back