UK UK - Jill Dando, 37, Fulham, London, 26 Apr 1999

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something that sticks out to me from the Netflix series is the fact her killer was able to, quite efficiently, take her down to the ground without a struggle. It suggests to me that this person has some type of training in karate or similar type combat type training.

The other speculation I have is that they have killed using this method before or has simulated killing this way. They could have just as easily put the gun to her head while she was upright. Forcing her onto the ground is a specific action which to me indicates preplanning. Kinda rules out random chance crime imo.

Something that sticks out to me from the Netflix series is the fact her killer was able to, quite efficiently, take her down to the ground without a struggle. It suggests to me that this person has some type of training in karate or similar type combat type training.
If someone comes at you from behind when you're not expecting it, you won't put up much of a struggle.

If someone comes at you from behind when you're not expecting it, you won't put up much of a struggle.
Ya I understand that but you can easily just put the bullet in the back of her head and achieve the same results. It was a deliberate move imo and one that assured her execution was successful. That doesn't sound like a random event.

I believe the front had a bushes around it to keep it private so did somebody walk up behind her as she open her gate which she would of noticed if somebody was standing around next door looking at her as she opened her gate or were they hiding in the front garden bit?

Ya I understand that but you can easily just put the bullet in the back of her head and achieve the same results. It was a deliberate move imo and one that assured her execution was successful. That doesn't sound like a random event.
I have to confess I have only watched episode 1 and i'm a bit rusty on the case.

How do they know she was taken down to the floor and then shot, as opposed to shot whilst standing?

If Jill was killed by a hitman that morning, then it has to point to someone who knew her well enough to be passing information on to the killer. After all, hitmen only need to know 2 things - the time and the place.

So who was it who knew that Jill would be at her home alone that morning and would be there around 11.30? There can't have been many people who would have that information.

If Jill was killed by a hitman that morning, then it has to point to someone who knew her well enough to be passing information on to the killer. After all, hitmen only need to know 2 things - the time and the place.

So who was it who knew that Jill would be at her home alone that morning and would be there around 11.30? There can't have been many people who would have that information.

Her neighbor and her agent are two. Her Neighbor giving evidence in court. I find it strange he didn’t find the scream alarming when he seemed to know a lot of what happened that morning. IMO

Last edited:
Her neighbor and her agent are two. Her Neighbor giving evidence in court. I find it strange he didn’t find the scream alarming when he seemed to know a lot of what happened that morning. IMO

I agree, there are one or two odd statements that came from RH:

Richard Hughes said he had heard a scream just after the TV presenter's car had drawn up outside her home at 29 Gowan Avenue, Fulham, south-west London. "It was a female scream. I did not consider it to be significant at the time. I thought it was someone surprising somebody," said Mr Hughes, who lived at No 31. "The next thing I heard was the clicking of the gate." Shortly afterwards, he heard women talking outside and went out. "I first saw her after three ladies asked me if it was Ms Dando. I looked over the wall and said 'yes'," Mr Hughes explained.

Ok, so RH hears the clicking of the gate as the male was leaving the scene, but why did he not hear the clicking of the gate when Jill entered a few seconds earlier? Also, his statement about the 3 ladies is odd because they all knew it was Jill as one of the 3 was Helen Doble, who was a neighbour of Jill and also the person who first saw Jill's body. Why would they need RH to confirm who it was?

Mr Hughes was in his upstairs bedroom when he heard the sound of a familiar car alarm.
"It was similar to my wife's car alarm. I heard footsteps walking towards the doorstep about five seconds after hearing the alarm. "The next thing I heard was a scream. It was about 30 seconds after the alarm. I did not form any impression of where it was coming from," he said. Mr Hughes looked through the shutters of the bedroom window and had a clear view of a male figure walking left towards Fulham Palace Road.

So RH hears Jill's car alarm, and then hears footsteps walking towards the doorstep. Again, no mention of a clicking of the gate from someone entering the scene or hearing another set of footsteps but he hears the clicking of the gate and catches a glimpse of the man as he leaves the scene.

Mr Hughes said Ms Dando came to her home once a week, usually on a Monday between 10am and 12pm.

So RH would be one of the few people who knew Jill would be home that morning sometime.

Few thoughts:

Although looks like an execution all other things indicates that whoever did this was not a hitman:
  • Full daylight in public place while probably there could have been a better time and place with much lower risk for the perp
  • bullet cartridge crimping looks more like a handmade ammunition which seems very unlikely for a professional hitman
  • Would a hitman really had forced her on the ground before shooting while he could have just done it without contact?
If this was not a commissioned murder, then we might think someone close to her would have wanted her dead. But again for someone close to her there would have been for sure a better time and circumstances to kill her than doing it at that time in that place and in that way. Also if it was someone she knew why doing it outside of her house while they could just have waited to get inside the house with her for example.

To me all things point towards someone who was maybe passing by, who was maybe obsessed with her to some degree.

few more points:
  • the handmade ammunition I think is very important. could be a fanatic of guns, probably a loner that made his own ammunitions and could have found during his trials the right amount of gunpowder so as to have it quieter when fired. May have carried the gun with him not necessary for killing purpose and could have fantasized about robbing or raping
  • if he was there for any reason when Jill arrived, he could have caught the occasion and gone after Jill
  • the way Jill was shot is another very interesting point in my opinion which I think should be analysed better. Could the killer have shot by accident for example?

Some might even be triggered by the colour red, imo. fwiw

''Nicknamed “The Red-dress killer” or “The Red-dress slasher”, because his victims were lone women walking alone either wearing red-dresses or another type of red, he sparked a panic among women in Central China, with public officials warning them to stop wearing red throughout the years he was active''

1695959290680.png
''In 1995, Jodi anchored KIMT's morning show "DayBreak" that aired at 6 a.m. She usually reported to work by 3:30 a.m.
A co-worker last spoke to Jodi shortly after 4:00 a.m. The anchor had overslept and said she was on her way, but she never arrived.
'Police found Jodi's high-heeled red shoe next to her car.'
1695956195125.png
1695956484685.png
rbbm.
''Her neighbour, Richard Hughes, heard a scream from Jill but believed it was somebody surprising her – not her being shot.
Seconds later, he became the only person to get a sighting of the murderer, a six-foot-tall white man, in his 40s.''
1695955674504.png

I agree, there are one or two odd statements that came from RH:

Richard Hughes said he had heard a scream just after the TV presenter's car had drawn up outside her home at 29 Gowan Avenue, Fulham, south-west London. "It was a female scream. I did not consider it to be significant at the time. I thought it was someone surprising somebody," said Mr Hughes, who lived at No 31. "The next thing I heard was the clicking of the gate." Shortly afterwards, he heard women talking outside and went out. "I first saw her after three ladies asked me if it was Ms Dando. I looked over the wall and said 'yes'," Mr Hughes explained.

Ok, so RH hears the clicking of the gate as the male was leaving the scene, but why did he not hear the clicking of the gate when Jill entered a few seconds earlier? Also, his statement about the 3 ladies is odd because they all knew it was Jill as one of the 3 was Helen Doble, who was a neighbour of Jill and also the person who first saw Jill's body. Why would they need RH to confirm who it was?

Mr Hughes was in his upstairs bedroom when he heard the sound of a familiar car alarm.
"It was similar to my wife's car alarm. I heard footsteps walking towards the doorstep about five seconds after hearing the alarm. "The next thing I heard was a scream. It was about 30 seconds after the alarm. I did not form any impression of where it was coming from," he said. Mr Hughes looked through the shutters of the bedroom window and had a clear view of a male figure walking left towards Fulham Palace Road.

So RH hears Jill's car alarm, and then hears footsteps walking towards the doorstep. Again, no mention of a clicking of the gate from someone entering the scene or hearing another set of footsteps but he hears the clicking of the gate and catches a glimpse of the man as he leaves the scene.

Mr Hughes said Ms Dando came to her home once a week, usually on a Monday between 10am and 12pm.

So RH would be one of the few people who knew Jill would be home that morning sometime.
No mention of a gun shot?

No mention of a gun shot?
No, he said he heard Jill scream but did not hear a gun shot. As no-one else heard a gun shot that morning it would appear a silencer was used on the weapon.

The one thing about Jill's murder that has always bothered me is how the killer went about his business seemingly unseen that morning, both before and after the killing. There are the odd reports about someone possibly being seen 2 or 3 hours before hanging around opposite Jill's house, and someone afterwards in a black coat running off up the road, and some sweaty bloke being seen at a bus stop - not really much to go on, is it?

However, if you lived where RH did right next door to Jill, you would have the perfect opportunity. I believe it's changed now, but back in 1999 there was only a 3 foot wall between the 2 gardens. So if you stood by your front door, as soon as Jill came into her garden and walked towards her door, you could jump over the wall, do the deed, then jump back over the wall and into your house. All that would probably take less than a minute.

However, while it would explain how the killer managed to get away so quickly and unseen, i don't really believe RH had anything to do with it. For example, what would his motive be?

Though it was not mentioned in the documentary, I did read, that Dando made a sound of suprise, probably as the killer walked up to her. However it wasn't considered a sound of fear, almost like it was someone she knew. If this is true, either she knew the person, or was just being friendly thinking this person was going to ask her something. I don't think the killer was crouching in the bushes. He followed her up to the door, so probably came from a car, or was standing on the street.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for bad source>

Going back to the Netflix documentary (Episode 1), did anyone else find it odd that when the police put up the 3 posters of Alan Farthing, Bob Wheaton & 'Agent' Roseman, they only actually put a cross through Wheaton's name? Roseman had one line through his (do they half-suspect him then) and there was nothing at all through Farthing's name - so does that mean he is still a suspect in their eyes? Or was it just bad editing on the documentary makers part?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok no worries!

Going back to the Netflix documentary (Episode 1), did anyone else find it odd that when the police put up the 3 posters of Alan Farthing, Bob Wheaton & 'Agent' Roseman, they only actually put a cross through Wheaton's name? Roseman had one line through his (do they half-suspect him then) and there was nothing at all through Farthing's name - so does that mean he is still a suspect in their eyes? Or was it just bad editing on the documentary makers part?
I noticed that too and it made me wonder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back