Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Julia Reid Tweet

Delaney: it is not possible to quantify the amount of force applied or the duration of compression.

KirstyGardnerKirsty Gardner

Pathologist Dr Delaney now being cross-examined by Julian Clegg representing Vincent Tabak. Agrees death could have happened in seconds

As long as the prosecution can show that she died by strangulation by his hands, and that it took a significant amount of time, I can't see that he has a snowball's chance in hell of a manslaughter verdict.

The trouble is, the proseuction's expert witness has just admitted that he cannot quantify the duration of compression. It may have been over "in seconds".

Re: cider

Friend said she'd had one and half pints in the pub so even if she drank some of the small bottle at home, she still hasn't consumed much altogether.

If they can only tell to this degree of accuracy and she was drinking cider in the pub, maybe they can't tell if she drank cider at home, especially as there was only a small amount missing from the open bottle

Would there not be DNA traces on the bottle if she drank from it?

Defence is definitely going to go for "not much force" for "not a long time" to tie in with "accidental death".

TM- 'love you, bus is very quiet and tame only me and nic drinking'

VT: Love you too, hopefully party is more lively, just got home. Missing you *advertiser censored*

Sorry, I see it has been already answered above!!

Yes, that's it. Thank you and also to Clio and veggiefan.

Asked if screams and thud heard by Lehman's over matter of a few seconds could be time frame of Jo's death Delaney says "it could"

I thought the defence were going to claim the screams were unrelated!

Defence is definitely going to go for "not much force" for "not a long time" to tie in with "accidental death".

It happens all the time. Pop round to see the neighbour and seconds later they are dead in the hallway.

...the proseuction's expert witness has just admitted that he cannot quantify the duration of compression. It may have been over "in seconds".

Does the above statement mean the same thing as this explanation from the prosecution?

“There was a violent struggle by Miss Yeates to try and survive. Despite that VT continued to hold her neck, to kill her...he was in control, more powerful and at more than 1ft taller had the advantage. He might have let go at any point but he chose not to. He knew that she was in pain and struggling to breathe...death was not instantaneous...the strangulation would have been uncomfortable and painful. Two hands were used. Her neck was held for long enough and hard enough for it to kill.”

Does the above statement [the proseuction's expert witness has just admitted that he cannot quantify the duration of compression. It may have been over "in seconds"] mean the same thing as this explanation from the prosecution?

“There was a violent struggle by Miss Yeates to try and survive. Despite that VT continued to hold her neck, to kill her...he was in control, more powerful and at more than 1ft taller had the advantage. He might have let go at any point but he chose not to. He knew that she was in pain and struggling to breathe...death was not instantaneous...the strangulation would have been uncomfortable and painful. Two hands were used. Her neck was held for long enough and hard enough for it to kill.”

The defence will argue that the second statement is simply the prosecution "bigging it up". If the expert witness says that he cannot quantify the duration (or the amount of force) used, and it could all have been over in seconds, that is a scenario that the jury will be obliged to consider.

rupertevelyn
Asked if injuries to Jo were suffered during life? Delaney responds "Yes". #JoYeates

:(

this makes me wonder if Jo was still alive when he tried to get her over te wall? perhaps she was unconcious but he thought she was dead??

"Thank you" to everybody supplying the tweets....

I think it is benefiting the defence so far...

I though the defence were going to claim the screams were unrelated!

I think they are but what they are trying to establish is that death was quick so if they get agreement that death could have occurred in the same time frame as the screams, then all they have to argue is that death took place later but was just as quick.

Does the above statement mean the same thing as this explanation from the prosecution?

this will be the crucial point ....did it only last a few seconds...the result of a loss of control / a defensive action /

or did it take longer implying a detemined effort to kill

Oh dear.

Defence asks why the use of the broom handle to attach the straps to move #Joannayeates' body was not in statement.

The defence will argue that the second statement is simply the prosecution "bigging it up". If the expert witness says that he cannot quantify the duration (or the amount of force) used, and it could all have been over in seconds, that is a scenario that the jury will be obliged to consider.
Exactly! (I was trying to be subtle in my post. ;))

It happens all the time. Pop round to see the neighbour and seconds later they are dead in the hallway.

Defence is most likely going to argue that there were events leading up to "the accidental death" that took longer than a few seconds (or even minutes).

I have just read a tweet that said that there was significant force applied to her neck, possibly by the end of a finger

Was he trying to compress the artery or feel for a pulse?

The trouble is, the proseuction's expert witness has just admitted that he cannot quantify the duration of compression. It may have been over "in seconds".

He's got no choice though, I guess he was always going to have to say that if asked. It's not an exact science, is it.

Bear in mind the jury has seen photographs of the extent of the injuries. It's been conceded that some may be unconnected with Tabak's assault, but I'd think that can only refer to one or two bruises or scratches at most - GR will be asked about any previous cuts or bruises she may have been carrying. Speaking for myself, I've always got a bruise or two somewhere from banging into things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suns12035