GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you enjoy playing statistics, let's recall that the defence pathologist gave a range of 15-45 seconds. The median is 30 seconds. Agreed ?

The defence pathologist also said:

"it is difficult to put a time on it ... I would readily accept it is an incredibly inexact science."

Which was rather my point. If you must do something potentially dangerous, how do you know when to stop?

Well that would be very interesting if anyone was claiming that he was a police officer trying to arrest her or that they were engaged in sport or Russian Roulette at the time.

Well, if you are not able to understand my point that people do dangerous things which can result in manslaughter but that are not perceived as murder, I would at least be glad if you didn't simply try to make fun of my argument.

Does anyone know if the DF and PR closing statements have to be submitted to the judge beforehand for approval of content so they do not contravene any protocol and fall within the rule of law ?

Does anyone know if the DF and PR closing statements have to be submitted to the judge beforehand for approval of content so they do not contravene any protocol and fall within the rule of law ?

I don't believe so. But there are certain conventions, such as not introducing new evidence. If that happens, the judge may intervene or (mor rarely) the opposing counsel may raise an objection.

Given that VT's presumably had no income since January, it's likely that legal aid would cover his defence.

I would imagine it's VTs family picking up the tab. I dont imagine WC is available via legal aid and I don't think WC would have taken this Pro Bono

The defence pathologist also said:

"it is difficult to put a time on it ... I would readily accept it is an incredibly inexact science."

Which was rather my point. If you must do something potentially dangerous, how do you know when to stop?
My first point here, Veggiefan, made with a wink, is that if you want us arbitrarily to take the median of the stated time range when it comes to fixing when he throttled her, you must also allow us arbitrarily to take the median of the stated throttling duration.

I personally don't think the median is relevant in either case. The truth lies somewhere in the range stated. One thing sticks out like a sore thumb on the throttling duration which is that VT himself put it at about 15 seconds in words and about 20 seconds when asked to demonstrate to the court what happened and he sure wasn't going to overestimate it.

My second point is that if you consciously do a potentially lethal action for any length of time capable of resulting in death you are guilty of murder, not manslaughter, if death results. There is no question of when he should have stopped. He should never have started... Perhaps if he had throttled for just one second and stopped at once it could be credited that the thought that he might kill or seriously injure her had not flashed through his mind. But he is not even claiming that.

...if you are not able to understand my point that people do dangerous things which can result in manslaughter but that are not perceived as murder, I would at least be glad if you didn't simply try to make fun of my argument.

Your thinking looks decidedly foggy to me, Veggie, but please don't take offence at my efforts to say why I think this. No offence is intended. There is no such thing as an action "which can result in manslaughter". Actions result in death. Whether it is murder or manslaughter depends on whether the killer ought to have realised it was liable to result in death or serious injury.

I quite accept your general point that sometimes people do potentially lethal things with no intention or thought of killing. You gave several examples of such acts. My point is that I see no way anything remotely resembling the examples you gave can apply to the case we are considering.

Once again, let's remember, we can't read minds, so the law tells us to assume that people act with ordinary human awareness unless it is shown, for instance, that they are mentally abnormal. Which, once again, is not claimed in this case.

Daily Mail on the day's proceedings at link:

Tabak 'could have let Joanna Yeates go if he wanted to but decided to kill her'
• Strangulation 'is a method of killing that takes time and it isn't done in the spur of the moment' says prosecutor in closing speech
• QC calls on jurors not to be taken in by 'intelligent' defendant labelling him 'dishonest, deceitful and a liar'
• Defence said court should reject the assertion that her death was 'planned, premeditated and sexually motivated'

[...] if you consciously do a potentially lethal action for any length of time capable of resulting in death you are guilty of murder, not manslaughter, if death results. There is no question of when he should have stopped. He should never have started... Perhaps if he had throttled for just one second and stopped at once it could be credited that the thought that he might kill or seriously injure her had not flashed through his mind. But he is not even claiming that.

Amen.

It will be interesting to see if the jury is impressionable enough - stupid enough? - to be taken in by some of the brazen deflection tactics on show here.

To be fair, the jury are probably not as au fait with murder cases as some people on this forum might be.

It's easy to think that planning and premeditation are needed to prove murder. It's also a lot easier to go for a guilty verdict if you can get your head around "why" he killed her. In this case, there is no clear motive. The prosecution have suggested it was sexually motivated but there is no undeniable proof of that.

The judge will no doubt explain all about state of mind at the point he killed her, what is meant by "intent", what would a reasonable and sober person think etc etc

The jury will only hear that explanation once before they go into deliberation. Unless there are people amongst those 12 who can keep the group focussed on the crucial point, I suspect that some may want to err on the side of "reasonable doubt" simply because they find it impossible to reconcile why it happened

My first point here, Veggiefan, made with a wink, is that if you want us arbitrarily to take the median of the stated time range when it comes to fixing when he throttled her, you must also allow us arbitrarily to take the median of the stated throttling duration.

I personally don't think the median is relevant in either case. The truth lies somewhere in the range stated.

Yes, but nobody seems to know where in the range. It is obvious that pressing the neck for one second is unlikely to kill, and that pressing it for a long time is likely to do so. Agreed that he should not have been doing it all, but given that he did, how should he have known when to stop?

I am frankly annoyed by people here who claim that because he has a Ph.D he should be clever enough to know these things. I have a Ph.D (in early 13th-century musical notation) and I know for certain that my studies didn't include the length of time it takes to strangle a young woman.

On the contrary, I would have assumed that the body going limp is a sign that the victim has passed out (like a Victorian woman in need of smelling salts) and that it is time to stop. I had no idea that strangulation can, as in JY's case, cause death from heart attack rather than from asphyxiation - and I'm a well-educated person in later life - at least the ordinary "man in the street" that the courts sometimes refer to.

All of this is important because, if VT's intention was murder, I'd not have expected him to stop at what could have merely been a faint, but to make sure the job was done properly by further physical assault.

My second point is that if you consciously do a potentially lethal action for any length of time capable of resulting in death you are guilty of murder, not manslaughter, if death results.

That's not what the law says. Intention is the key issue.

If you ignore faulty electrical wiring in your ice-cream shop, and a customer dies through electrocution when opening a fridge door, you will not be charged with murder because there was no intention to kill. There was gross negligence, perhaps recklessness, quite possibly manslaughter, but there was no intent to kill.

No offence is intended.

Accepted.

There is no such thing as an action "which can result in manslaughter". Actions result in death. Whether it is murder or manslaughter depends on whether the killer ought to have realised it was liable to result in death or serious injury.

Agreed. What I cannot honestly say is at which precise second VT should have made this realisation.

Once again, let's remember, we can't read minds, so the law tells us to assume that people act with ordinary human awareness unless it is shown, for instance, that they are mentally abnormal. Which, once again, is not claimed in this case.

And, as I say, I am not aware of how long it takes to strangle someone to death (was it aneurin who said that the sheep he strangled took much longer than he expected?), nor was I aware that a heart attack might bring life to an end much more quickly than one might expect strangulation to take.

(For avoidance of doubt, I'm not trying to defend VT, but neither am I one of those posting here saying I hope he gets done for murder: nothing on this earth can now help JY, but there is no point in compounding the tragedy by falsely convicting VT for murder, if that was not his intention).

swns also has a summary of today's summing up by both sides. The Prosecution one in particular highlights just how much of his testimony Tabak hadn't disclosed pre-trial

http://swns.com/vincent-tabak-murder-trial-the-prosecutions-argument-251722.html

a really good summary.... although I had to re-read this bit

Tabak admitted to the police that had eaten pizza for tea that night.

Mr Lickley said: ”Vincent Tabak took it, as he took one of her socks. Why he took it only he can say.

”Was it to eat after the incident?”

VT may be some things, but a sock eater? :crazy:

swns also has a summary of today's summing up by both sides. The Prosecution one in particular highlights just how much of his testimony Tabak hadn't disclosed pre-trial

http://swns.com/vincent-tabak-murder-trial-the-prosecutions-argument-251722.html

''Killer Vincent Tabak murdered Jo Yeates during a sexually-motivated attack in her bedroom – before he coolly ate her pizza, a court heard today.''

If journalists want to be taken seriously, they should get their facts straight.

James Beal must be reading opinions on Websleuths. ;)

On the question of the definition of intent, I've realised that I've managed to confuse myself in the labyrinth of homicide. (In particular I thought that the Dawson case was relevant, which it isn't really.)

Proof of criminal intent is defined in s8 of the Criminal Justice Act 1967, as follows:-

A court or jury, in determining whether a person has committed an offence,—

(a)shall not be bound in law to infer that he intended or foresaw a result of his actions by reason only of its being a natural and probable consequence of those actions; but

(b)shall decide whether he did intend or foresee that result by reference to all the evidence, drawing such inferences from the evidence as appear proper in the circumstances.

What is referred to as the model guidance was laid down in R v Nedrick and confirmed by R v Woolin:-

if the jury are satisfied that at the material time the defendant recognised that death or serious harm would be virtually certain (barring some unforeseen intervention) to result from his voluntary act, then that is a fact from which they may find it easy to infer that he intended to kill or do serious bodily harm, even though he may not have had any desire to achieve that result.

Personally I have absolutely no problem in accepting that "death or serious harm" was indeed "virtually certain" as a result of VT's "voluntary act" in grasping JY around the throat and applying pressure until she "went limp", and therefore I find it easy to infer that he intended to kill or do serious bodily harm, irrespective of whether or not he had the desire to achieve that result.

The prosecution have suggested it was sexually motivated but there is no undeniable proof of that.

I really cannot understand why they continued to go with that idea - it's an absolute no-hoper and I think weakens their case, because I'm sure it will leave some of the jury wondering what else they have "bigged up" to try to support a case in which there is very little evidence.

The jury will only hear that explanation once before they go into deliberation. Unless there are people amongst those 12 who can keep the group focussed on the crucial point, I suspect that some may want to err on the side of "reasonable doubt" simply because they find it impossible to reconcile why it happened

If it's anything like my experience of jury service some years ago, there is good reason why the authorities are keen to keep the secrets of the jury room under lock and key.

Far from being the great bastion of British justice, I found myself ensconsed with a charming elderly lady doing her knitting, who said she hadn't understood a word of the case, but reckoned that anyone with bushy eyebrows is likely to be guilty. Then there was the one who fully supported any crime against HMRC, another who said he knew the defendant was guilty because he's read about it in the Daily Mail long before the case started, and the jury foreman who never stopped complaining that - as a self-employed businessman - he was losing a fortune every day, and would we please agree on something, and he'd go along with whatever it was.

To be frank, it was a shambles - Gilbert and Sullivan would have had a field day. At one point I complained to the court usher, who simply said "don't worry, it's always like this - just try to decide on something, or we'll have to put you up in a hotel for the weekend, and there's not the budget to do it".

British justice? Lottery, more like.

I am frankly annoyed by people here who claim that because he has a Ph.D he should be clever enough to know these things. I have a Ph.D (in early 13th-century musical notation) and I know for certain that my studies didn't include the length of time it takes to strangle a young woman.
I think the PhD relevance is not knowledge but intelligence. He is not daft.

Nausicaa : "...if you consciously do a potentially lethal action for any length of time capable of resulting in death you are guilty of murder, not manslaughter, if death results."
Veggiefan : "That's not what the law says. Intention is the key issue."

The intention to kill is undoubtedly one half of the key issue. The other half is how to establish it. I think my statement is a correct statement of the law when the act is immediately and directly death-dealing by nature.

If you ignore faulty electrical wiring in your ice-cream shop, and a customer dies through electrocution when opening a fridge door, you will not be charged with murder because there was no intention to kill. There was gross negligence, perhaps recklessness, quite possibly manslaughter, but there was no intent to kill.

In your examples there is a long lapse of time between the act and the fatal consequence and the true probability of each act of bad wiring leading to death is quite low.

BTW I am the sheep-strangler, not Aneurin !

I would just add on this topic of diagnosing intent, Veggie, the remark that any theory which enables a killer to evade a murder conviction simply by killing without witnesses and lying about his awareness of the likely effects of his actions is obviously wrong in theory and disastrous in practice.

"The flirting was not mentioned. The fact that he thought Jo Yeates was interested in him – not mentioned. The intent to kiss – not mentioned. The fact that it happened in the kitchen – not mentioned. Moving the body into the bedroom – not mentioned. The killing taking place after the 9.30pm text message – not mentioned.”

I must admit I wasn't aware until now, that all those things were not in VT's defence statement, their absence is quite damning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kudo-magician179