GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have hust watched the news and the police have now erected scaffolding and tarp to cover both basements flats reported by Sky news

Just seen the aerial shots from the B.B.C news helicopter. The scaffold appears to be like a big ramp. It starts at the back of C.J's and rises up. It appears to be a screen to hide whatever is going on behind there from view.

Can you see any cars in the drive? I wonder if the person does not own a car and that is what was meant by 'or did anyone borrow your car'.... that may have sparked a phone call?

Can you see any cars in the drive? I wonder if the person does not own a car and that is what was meant by 'or did anyone borrow your car'.... that may have sparked a phone call?

Cars are in there, but it's more than likely the Police?

The scaffold seemed to be up against the house like a big slope it is.
It's got to be to find a hiding place for the body, or evidence?? It seems an awful lot of trouble to go too. Don't know what to think.

Thing is, let's say we agree to say that we'll call the person "Mr X".
Going on to say, "I think Mr X killed Jo with a shoelace because I think he's a drug-using paedophile who votes Republican* and tortures dogs" and so on and so forth *is* damaging.
I think we have to accept that the sleuthing activity is by its nature potentially damaging, but that we do our best to be at the lesser end of the range of harms and that our comments are on balance acceptable because we have the best intentions of trying to work out who has done some of these terrible things.
Just my tuppence worth...

* Sorry, couldn't help it...

No problem at all with sleuthing, but what I do have a problem with is naming someone who may have absolutely nothing to do with this case.

Lets just say for example this guy isn't charged for 48 hours. But the speculation is that his name is Kevin Smith and he lives at 44 The Street, Bristol. Whilst he is in police custody his family and his close friends are not. Some person may take it upon themselves to harrass Kevin Smiths friends or family.

This is just one of the reason why it is dangerous to name names.

This is so unfortunate but was bound to happen when sites were sleuthing and naming him. Very unfortunate indeed.

It is unfortunate! I hope it doesn't end up trending. Would be awful if it isn't him whose been arrested although from what I'm reading about sealing off the two basement flats and things, it sounds like whoever they've got they really think it is him this time.

[<snip> A Dutch architect in the area? Does he know Joanna, or does he know the boyfriends half-brother's friend?

He lives at 44. I remember coming across him weeks ago while checking out the occupants of 44 and 46, so there's a chance I misremembered at that it was 46, but I'm 90% sure it was 44.[/QUOTE]

so yet ANOTHER oddball in that house....
the mind boggles....

son reports many police around today...watching him de-ice his cae...

The police aren't doing this because they enjoy hard work.
Perhaps someone they suspect has told them 'go here, you find this'.
Who knows.

Maybe something bigger than a surprise is coming. Are you ready for a shock?

Who knows.

EXACTLY.. I just had the same thought. They've sealed the road off for the first time, the scaffold too.
Perhaps something much bigger to come :worms:

Cars are in there, but it's more than likely the Police?

The scaffold seemed to be up against the house like a big slope it is.
It's got to be to find a hiding place for the body, or evidence?? It seems an awful lot of trouble to go too. Don't know what to think.

I just saw it on Skynews, I think it is possibly to stop prying eyes.... aren't there flats that face the back of the property, might be a precaution, I'm sure the press wouldn't be adverse to offering a few bob to residents that have a birds eye view.

It is unfortunate! I hope it doesn't end up trending. Would be awful if it isn't him whose been arrested although from what I'm reading about sealing off the two basement flats and things, it sounds like whoever they've got they really think it is him this time.

Look how they ripped CJ's place apart and found nothing though.

Phillb, I rarely digress but that can of worms is a hoot!

I keep thinking 'house of awful horrors.' Surely not.

re: Philb

Phillb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myserty64
Who knows.

EXACTLY.. I just had the same thought. They've sealed the road off for the first time, the scaffold too.
Perhaps something much bigger to come

come on philb...any clues on where you are going?

re: Philb

Phillb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myserty64
Who knows.

Perhaps something much bigger to come

come on philb...any clues on where you are going?

Well as far as I know their only wanting to find a pizza box, or sock for evidence. The scaffold seems a bit OT.T for that. I'd have to say they may think there's more bodies to find??

Well as far as I know their only wanting to find a pizza box, or sock for evidence. The scaffold seems a bit OT.T for that. I'd have to say they may think there's more bodies to find??

You know, I can't remember the details of the other people who had been murdered/gone missing in the area, but, I hope that if there is anything else in/under that building, that it will allow closure for the other peoples loved ones. I hope you get what I mean - I don't mean to sound callous or cold hearted...just it would be nice for this situation to bring closure for people.

On the issue of naming names, it seems that several distinct objections are being made, some legal and some moral. The name given may not be the man arrested. The man arrested may not be charged. The man arrested, if charged, may be acquitted. Naming him may prejudice his trial. Naming him may cause him and his family distress if it turns out that the man named is not the man arrested or, if arrested, is not guilty. Sleuth forums shouldn&#8217;t have given the name to the media. The media shouldn&#8217;t have given the name to the sleuth forums, etc.
Some of this is just daft. Obviously the name was going to come out. If it&#8217;s &#8220;very regrettable&#8221;, it&#8217;s regrettable like wasps at a picnic: unfortunate but inevitable.
And if it turns out that the name given is wrong, the error will be very quickly and 100% rectified by the revelation of the real name. A person so misidentified would not suffer 1% of the distress that Greg Reardon has undergone at the hands of imaginative cybersleuths.
Nor do I buy the idea that this is a temporary hiccup like the CJ arrest. The police announcement, with its references to the Yeates family and Greg, sounded to me very different. This time they have made no mistake. (Not that we have yet been informed that the arrest of CJ was a mistake &#8211; far from it.)
Damaging the reputation of persons who may be innocent is certainly wrong and some people have unfortunately done it on this forum. That should not happen again but probably will.
But what is immediately urgent is not to prejudice the trial. That will not be done by naming the arrested man but by saying stupid things about him such as that he looks like a murderer or has taken an absurd length of time to get his PhD. or that he probably did or didn&#8217;t use the sock.

Martin Brunt, on Sky News, said the man was being named locally but they were not yet naming him but that police were examining the flat adjoining JY's where a Dutch student had been living.

A man has been arrested, lets hope he's the man we' r looking for and is safe behind bars, just have to wait and see now. Justice for Jo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim