Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #13 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know - that’s why I was wondering if he would be called as a “witness” as the last person to see her, to establish state of mind and rule out other scenarios. NOT to at all explore with him any suggestion of foul play, which he hasn’t even been charged with. I know that would only happen in court. In particular, if it’s P himself putting out the story that he merely gave a lift to a crying girl. For example, would Libby’s flatmate, who put her in the taxi be called as a witness? Or even Greybeard who spoke to her? Or will it be only relatives and the people involved in finding Libby.
Well no because he will deny he was the last to see her - that’s for the police to prove. The others maybe, but more likely they’ll read a statement from them, and Any appearance would be at trial.

I couldn't help but feel really saddened and touched when I heard the positive ID of Libby. It shocked me as to how upset I felt. Even though most of us were pretty certain she was dead for the entirety of the search and investigation, I felt like we somehow got to know her a little. I found myself unable to look at photos or videos of her any more, I just found it too upsetting. For someone I never met and never knew, it's a new and odd experience for me.

Anyway, I felt compelled to show my respects so I visited the bench today.

I printed out some of your comments and wishes from this thread, and I gifted a bunch of white roses, on behalf of you all...
View attachment 175644
View attachment 175648View attachment 175649
I tied the comments and the roses to the back of the bench...
View attachment 175643

The thing that really got me, while I was tying the messages and the roses to the bench, was the smell of scented candles thick in the air. By a fluke of where the bench is, it's out of the wind, and there are lots of little candles burning there. The smell of them just broke me up, it really did.

While I was about to leave I noticed a woman and 2 girls with some flowers. Apologies for the video being from the other side of the road, bit I didn't want to intrude.

There were 5 or 6 media vans there. And there was a couple of people walking around with BBC lanyards on. Some young lass was hovering while I was there, I did speak to her. She was from the press, radio in Leeds, and was keeping her distance, she looked terrified when I spoke to her! I told her I wasn't going to attack her, she looked relieved! I guess that there are plenty of places these reporters are sent where they are not appreciated by the locals.
View attachment 175645

That was such a lovely thing to do. I drove past the bench today and although it was a sad sight to see, it shows how much Libby has been taken into the hearts of the people of Hull.

Maybe I’m mad but this says to me that a coroner can call anyone who may somehow be responsible for a death as a witness. Also, anyone present while the deceased was in their care can be called (I would argue that if Libby was with P in an inebriated state, then she was in his care?) So to me, until charges are pressed, in which case the inquest would be suspended anyway, I don’t see why P wouldn’t be called as a witness. Happy to be educated on this, I am relying heavily on Dr Google!

Attachments

• 23B1032D-D53F-4E95-A294-140981D7D0D1.png
    23B1032D-D53F-4E95-A294-140981D7D0D1.png
    277 KB · Views: 13
Well no because he will deny he was the last to see her - that’s for the police to prove. The others maybe, but more likely they’ll read a statement from them, and Any appearance would be at trial.
He will just refuse to answer he is under no obligation to answer if it could be used against him, and if no criminal chargesbarent brought then everyone who came into contact with her that night will be called as a witness but it purely finding of facts, they can't accuse you of lying etc just dismiss your evidence as unreliable. The facts are collected to the best of the coroners ability then he writes his conclusion of events to the best of his knowledge and delivers a verdict of cause of death.

Last person on record to see her. Either way, in contact with her on night she disappeared, possibly whilst she was in a distressed state , therefore able to provide key info which could point to way in which Libby died - which is obviously a main factor at inquest. I’m not concerned with whether he would appear in person or not - I know most witnesses provide written statements. I’m just questioning where he stands on being called to provide evidence.

Maybe I’m mad but this says to me that a coroner can call anyone who may somehow be responsible for a death as a witness. Also, anyone present while the deceased was in their care can be called (I would argue that if Libby was with P in an inebriated state, then she was in his care?) So to me, until charges are pressed, in which case the inquest would be suspended anyway, I don’t see why P wouldn’t be called as a witness. Happy to be educated on this, I am relying heavily on Dr Google!
It will be adjourned until after all criminal cases are concluded and if there's no guilty culprit by then the coroner cal call him doesn't mean he has to answer he can sit there and say no comment, also the coroner can only put known facts to him and if they can't press charges I doubt there's any known facts concerning him

I think that first sentence means like if it was an accident - I would not think they’d call a suspect or “person of interest” in her disappearance.
The person in care bit implies person in care home, or child living in care of others, or without mental capacity.?It doesn’t mean a 21 year old woman who can look after herself, albeit a bit drunk.

I think that first sentence means like if it was an accident - I would not think they’d call a suspect or “person of interest” in her disappearance.
The person in care bit implies person in care home, or child living in care of others, or without mental capacity.?It doesn’t mean a 21 year old woman who can look after herself, albeit a bit drunk.

Ok, thanks. Will re-read with your interpretation in mind. Regardless of what the law says, in my mind, if you pick a drunk person off the street - be they 21 or 101, they are in your care.

The way I read the extract you attached, it doesn't seem to be a list of people who may be called as witnesses. Rather, it's a list of people who may be permitted to question the witnesses.

It will be adjourned until after all criminal cases are concluded and if there's no guilty culprit by then the coroner cal call him doesn't mean he has to answer he can sit there and say no comment, also the coroner can only put known facts to him and if they can't press charges I doubt there's any known facts concerning him

So, the inquest will open on Monday, as scheduled, but then be adjourned, until police either charge or decide P is no longer a suspect? Sorry for all the questions! Just genuinely keen to understand it all :)

The way I read the extract you attached, it doesn't seem to be a list of people who may be called as witnesses. Rather, it's a list of people who may be permitted to question the witnesses.

Ok, I did read it that way the second time, but then when I read a few other papers around it I thought my original thinking was right! Can definitely see where you are coming from on that interpretation

Only genuinely interested parties can question witnesses, but they can't ask anything that isn't factual as to COD not who caused that cause, also if any questions could incriminate rule 22 is explained by the coroner to the witness and they can refuse to answer

I couldn't help but feel really saddened and touched when I heard the positive ID of Libby. It shocked me as to how upset I felt. Even though most of us were pretty certain she was dead for the entirety of the search and investigation, I felt like we somehow got to know her a little. I found myself unable to look at photos or videos of her any more, I just found it too upsetting. For someone I never met and never knew, it's a new and odd experience for me.

Anyway, I felt compelled to show my respects so I visited the bench today.

I printed out some of your comments and wishes from this thread, and I gifted a bunch of white roses, on behalf of you all...
View attachment 175644
View attachment 175648View attachment 175649
I tied the comments and the roses to the back of the bench...
View attachment 175643

The thing that really got me, while I was tying the messages and the roses to the bench, was the smell of scented candles thick in the air. By a fluke of where the bench is, it's out of the wind, and there are lots of little candles burning there. The smell of them just broke me up, it really did.

While I was about to leave I noticed a woman and 2 girls with some flowers. Apologies for the video being from the other side of the road, bit I didn't want to intrude.

There were 5 or 6 media vans there. And there was a couple of people walking around with BBC lanyards on. Some young lass was hovering while I was there, I did speak to her. She was from the press, radio in Leeds, and was keeping her distance, she looked terrified when I spoke to her! I told her I wasn't going to attack her, she looked relieved! I guess that there are plenty of places these reporters are sent where they are not appreciated by the locals.
View attachment 175645
Thank you for doing that . My children at hull uni placed a condolence card there today and, promted by another member earlier on this thread, I donated to Humber lifeboats - RNLI. Totally gutted

So, the inquest will open on Monday, as scheduled, but then be adjourned, until police either charge or decide P is no longer a suspect? Sorry for all the questions! Just genuinely keen to understand it all :)
Yes that's exactly right, adjourned until after any possibility of criminal charges, as the law court will do the fact finding in that case the coroner just delivers a verdict afterwards

A relative of mine was found a few days after his (natural causes) death and although they told us the estimated date of death after the PM, the official date of death was registered as the date of the PM. You could have this changed but had to wait 6 weeks (not sure why)
While this may suffice for natural deaths, I don't think it would do in the context of homicide. If they fixed the date of death as the date the body was found, or when officially declared dead by a doctor, it would be difficult to charge someone who had been in custody at the time, no?
This is why our legal system uses a date range when the date of death isn't known.

While this may suffice for natural deaths, I don't think it would do in the context of homicide. If they fixed the date of death as the date the body was found, or when officially declared dead by a doctor, it would be difficult to charge someone who had been in custody at the time, no?
This is why our legal system uses a date range when the date of death isn't known.
In the law courts they will try to prove beyond reasonable doubt the time frame for death.
For example I put it to you that in the early hours of February 1st you knowingly disposed of the deceased victim solely to hide your crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper