UK UK - Lincs, Partial Human Remains, Apr'19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A police investigation into the grim discovery of a severed foot found on a New Waltham footpath is approaching the start of its third year.

[...]

Police say missing person lists both locally and nationally have been extensively examined to see if the profile of the woman's foot fits anyone reported missing.

Officers have also searched databases across Europe but have not yet been able to identify the person.

Severed foot found on path remains a mystery two years on

A police investigation into the grim discovery of a severed foot found on a New Waltham footpath is approaching the start of its third year.

[...]

Police say missing person lists both locally and nationally have been extensively examined to see if the profile of the woman's foot fits anyone reported missing.

Officers have also searched databases across Europe but have not yet been able to identify the person.

Severed foot found on path remains a mystery two years on

Crazy that a random foot can just appear!

If it does turn out to be medical waste. How far away is the nearest hospital which presumably would it have come from? Clinical waste bins in hospitals are locked at all times so someone would've had to smuggle the foot out of the hospital and physically put it on that path? In order to have access to a clinical waste bin you would have to work for the NHS and more importantly work specifically in an area with authorised access to the bins.

If it does turn out to be medical waste. How far away is the nearest hospital which presumably would it have come from? Clinical waste bins in hospitals are locked at all times so someone would've had to smuggle the foot out of the hospital and physically put it on that path? In order to have access to a clinical waste bin you would have to work for the NHS and more importantly work specifically in an area with authorised access to the bins.

There are two hospitals within a few miles of where this foot was found, the main hospital for the area - The Diana Princess of Wales Hospital and also a smaller private hospital - St Hugh's.

I work at one of these hospitals, and I can't imagine how anyone would be able to get away with smuggling a human body part out.

Last edited:
There are two hospitals within a few miles of where this foot was found, the main hospital for the area - The Diana Princess of Wales Hospital and also a smaller private hospital - St Hugh's.

I work at one of these hospitals, and I can't imagine how anyone would be able to get away with smuggling a human body part out.

Thanks for this info! I used to work in a hospital (neither of these two hospitals) until recently and I too struggle to see how a foot could end up outside of the hospital, either on purpose or by accident. Very strange.

This is an odd question, but if you have an amputation, can you legally request to keep it?

Just thinking that could be how it got out of a hospital.

This is an odd question, but if you have an amputation, can you legally request to keep it?

Just thinking that could be how it got out of a hospital.

I believe so yes. It's your body part after all. Not quite the same, but an example is when a women gives birth she is given the option to keep the placenta. However I do know that body parts/organs start to decompose fairly quickly so if you did request to keep it you would need a way to refrigerate it and get it home in a fairly decent condition. So a hospital would need to make a decision on if they can store the limb appropriately until the patient is discharged home.

I've added a couple of links to support my above comment.

The ethics of disposing of amputated limbs | Journal of Medical Ethics blog

What can you do with an amputated limb?

I believe so yes. It's your body part after all. Not quite the same, but an example is when a women gives birth she is given the option to keep the placenta. However I do know that body parts/organs start to decompose fairly quickly so if you did request to keep it you would need a way to refrigerate it and get it home in a fairly decent condition. So a hospital would need to make a decision on if they can store the limb appropriately until the patient is discharged home.

I've added a couple of links to support my above comment.

The ethics of disposing of amputated limbs | Journal of Medical Ethics blog

What can you do with an amputated limb?

It's a bit grim, but maybe a friend could take it for the patient. Not sure how they would preserve it...pickled?

I guess at some point there may be a DNA match, or partial one thrown up on the system.

Yes a very ghoulish thought...once it was home what would you do with it? It would have to be kept in a freezer maybe? I would've thought that someone would've come forward by now if they knew it was their recently amputated limb they lost on the way home? o_O

Yes a very ghoulish thought...once it was home what would you do with it? It would have to be kept in a freezer maybe? I would've thought that someone would've come forward by now if they knew it was their recently amputated limb they lost on the way home? o_O

I was more thinking along the lines of it taking a certain type of person to want to take their foot home, and maybe that type of person might find humour in leaving outside for someone to find.

It's a long shot, but then everything is a long shot with this case, whatever angle you come at it!

Unrelated, just noting... this female foot found on a California highway in May.
5/5/21
Severed human foot found in middle of California freeway prompts police probe
''A severed human foot found in the middle of a California freeway has prompted a police investigation.

The foot was discovered in the center median of 210 Freeway in San Bernadino by a California Department of Transportation worker on Monday morning''

''The foot may have belonged to a woman, added Officer Ivan Sandoval of the highway patrol. At the time it was found, the severed limb was not in a sock or shoe.''

No patients missing a foot were reported at nearby hospitals, said Sergeant Robinson, adding that investigators were working to connect the discovery to any known deaths or missing person cases.''

Unrelated, just noting... this female foot found on a California highway in May.
5/5/21
Severed human foot found in middle of California freeway prompts police probe
''A severed human foot found in the middle of a California freeway has prompted a police investigation.

The foot was discovered in the center median of 210 Freeway in San Bernadino by a California Department of Transportation worker on Monday morning''

''The foot may have belonged to a woman, added Officer Ivan Sandoval of the highway patrol. At the time it was found, the severed limb was not in a sock or shoe.''

No patients missing a foot were reported at nearby hospitals, said Sergeant Robinson, adding that investigators were working to connect the discovery to any known deaths or missing person cases.''

You'd think it would be connected to a traffic accident if it's on/by a road? I'd love to hear an update on this one!

You'd think it would be connected to a traffic accident if it's on/by a road? I'd love to hear an update on this one!

CHP Says Foot Found On 210 Freeway In San Bernardino Belonged To Pedestrian Struck By Vehicle
May 7, 2021 rbbm.
''A Caltrans worker found the foot, believed to belong to a woman, in the center median of the 210 Freeway, just west of State Street, on Monday.
According to California Highway Patrol investigators, additional bone fragments were recovered and the coroner was able to identify the victim.''

''CHP said the finding was the result of a recent collision where a driver struck a pedestrian.''

rbbm.
Detectives investigating missing foot case near Grimsby appeal for local women to come forward | Daily Mail Online
45456177-9789453-image-a-70_1626298842416.jpg

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Curtis has now put out an appeal to speak to any woman in the area who has had her left foot amputated privately since 2014.
July 15 2021
Detectives investigating missing foot case near Grimsby appeal for local women to come forward | Daily Mail Online
''Detectives investigating a severed foot found on a pathway more than two years ago have asked any women who are missing one to come forward.

Police have combed through NHS records and checked databases across Europe since the small section of a lower leg and foot were discovered.

It was found on a footpath in New Waltham, on the outskirts of Grimsby, in April 2019.

Humberside Police have also tried forensic testing and DNA analysis but have been unable to find a match for the discovery, which is believed to have come from a woman aged over 16 who is around 5ft 2in tall. ''

Investigations are now focused on the Humberside area.''

‘The NHS has been able to provide certain information relating to historical surgeries but this would not include any private medical procedures, so by issuing this appeal now we are hoping to rule out anyone within this category of patient.‘If you have had such a medical procedure in the past eight years, whether through the NHS or through private medical services, I would ask you to call us.’

It might be time for some DNA genealogy!
Such a strange request for left lower leg and foot amputees to come forward! They must have some evidence that the person survived the removal of their limb. Did the limb have signs of being preserved in some way?
This is weird
Moo

It might be time for some DNA genealogy!
Such a strange request for left lower leg and foot amputees to come forward! They must have some evidence that the person survived the removal of their limb. Did the limb have signs of being preserved in some way?
This is weird
Moo

BBM, I was wondering if it had been in a freezer or something as it didn't sound like it could be 8 years old in the initial reports.

She could be way taller (or shorter) than 5'2".

I'm 5'7" and a small size 5, often needing a 4. Whereas my friend is also a size 5 but only 4'11" tall.

I think a size 4 foot could belong to anyone between maybe 4'8" - 5'7", although more than likely in the middle of that range.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back