GUILTY UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mrs Justice Jefford said she did not accept Angharad Williamson’s claim that she sought to get help for son Logan on July 29 following an attack on her son by John Cole and the youth.
Mrs Justice Jefford said: “You described an assault where John Cole punched Logan so he fell back on his bottom and told [the youth] if he flinched again to sweep his legs from under him. He did that and pushed his head in the ground.”
She described how Wiliamson left the flat pursued by the youth but when a van driver asked her if she needed help she returned to the flat. The judge said: “That was an account you made up after the event to protect yourself and realised you could try to shift the blame….
“This was your characteristic dramatic behaviour completely and was inconsistent with getting away from your partner to seek help for your son. When help was offered to you you went back inside.”
She said there may be some truth in Williamson’s account of the assault, which she did not believe was responsible for causing Logan’s death .She added: “You had an opportunity to protect your son from further injuries and did not. The next day you went to the shops…
“I am sure what in fact happened was a far more serious assault on Logan later the same day or the following day.”

A statement has been issued on behalf of Logan's school, Tondu Primary, following the conclusion of the hearing. They also released pictures of a 'buddy bench' and memorial garden created using funds raised in Logan's name.

The pupils, teachers, staff and governors at Tondu Primary School were all devastated to learn of the death of Logan Mwangi and the school community remains shocked and deeply saddened by his loss. As a friendly, energetic, and popular little boy Logan leaves us with many fond memories. He was a loving, sweet-natured child who was polite and articulate at all times.
Logan was always smiling and was described in court by his own teachers as having the kind of smile that could light up a classroom. He was a highly inquisitive child who enjoyed his lessons, particularly when using the outdoor classroom where he would have great fun with his friends.
Logan loved playing with his classmates, especially games like hide-and-seek or pretending to be superheroes. His favourite character was always Spiderman and he would display a keen and vivid imagination in his games.
Ultimately we remember Logan as being a bright, happy child who was caring and loving and an absolute pleasure to teach. As a school community we continue to feel his loss and to offer support to one another as we look towards the future. We are also united in our condemnation of the terrible actions of those who ended Logan’s short life in such a cruel and brutal way and are grateful that they have been held accountable for their crimes. Our thoughts remain with Logan.
0_CDR_MAI_300622LOGANMEMORIAL99999.jpg

A ‘buddy bench’ set up at Tondu Primary School in memory of murdered pupil Logan Mwangi (Image: Bridgend County Borough Council)
0_CDR_MAI_300622LOGANMEMORIAL100001.jpg

The memorial garden (Image: Bridgend County Borough Council)

Mrs Justice Jefford discussed Logan’s injuries and death during her sentencing remarks. She said: “Whatever time the ferocious assault happened on Logan he was for most of that Friday injured and dying. If anyone would have sought medical assistance for him he had an 80% chance of survival despite the severity of his injuries.
“Nothing could have provoked the attack other than the boisterous behaviour of a child confined to his room for a week, separated from his family.
“None of you saw Logan as a child to be cared for as part of your family.
“I find the physical assault on Logan was committed by you John Cole and [the youth]. Angharad Williamson I am also sure in this small flat, this fatal attack could not have taken place without your full knowledge and collusion.
“It cannot be known whether he slumped into unconsciousness or fell unconscious immediately.
“In a final act of callousness all three of you agreed to cover up Logan’s death as an accident. John Cole and [the youth] have taken Logan from the flat flung over John Cole’s shoulder and dumped him in the river.
“He was placed well out into the water to make it look like he wandered off or drowned or to provide an explanation for his injuries. The stories you told about flytipping in the river was to disguise your wrongdoing.You regarded dumping Logan’s body as akin to dumping rubbish.”

The judge in her sentencing remarks also rejected Angharad Williamson’s claim she was asleep when Logn died and his body was discarded. Mrs Justice Jefford said: “This was completely unbelievable. Activity on your phone and footage caught on CCTV when you were the only person in the house made it quite clear you were up and about and participating in this plan.

“I have no doubt your activity in identifying Logan’s pyjama top as evidence you needed to dispose of and the bed sheets was incriminating. You gave John Cole and [the youth] the pyjama top and put the washing machine on. This was careful and calculated and not the product of panic.

“Angharad Williamson, you made the 999 call to police reporting Logan missing and you John Cole and [the youth] pretended to look for Logan and engaged in a persistent attempt to mislead the police investigation.”

Mrs Justice Jefford said Cole and Williamson were in a position of trust and “wholly” breached that trust in the background of “dehumasing treatment” .

She said: “What happened to Logan must have involved appalling mental and physical suffering. It’s impossible to imagine the terror of a five-year-old child as these injuries were inflicted on him... in the presence of his own mother.”

She said all the defendants took part in the plan to conceal Logan’s body and incriminating evidence. The judge added: “This was particularly heartless and utterly calculated and carefully orchestrated. It was not a plan made up in panic.”

good point that there was no panic involved, Logan was slowly dying for hours and hours. They knew this and were creating a plan for when he eventually passed. They were sitting there organising how to dispose of a 5 year old that was a part of their family and in their care. This is different to Arthur and Star's case when a final brutal assault resulted in the child collapsing. Logan would have been in extreme pain for hours

Last edited:
Tragic end of Logan’s life, so heartbreaking. Glad the adults got hefty sentences - killing a child is so unfathomable. Poor baby, another victim. And the youth - sounds like he willingly participated but so young and heavily influenced by the adults.
Thanks for all the links and information posted.

Addressing the defendants in turn Mrs Justice Jefford told John Cole she believed he participated in the final assault and instructed the youth defendant. She said: “You were actively involved in the death of Logan and disposal of his body.

“I can’t be sure you intended to kill Logan but this makes little difference. You carried out a forceful attack on a small defenceless child. The fact you didn’t intend to kill him provides very little mitigation.”

Turning to Williamson Mrs Justice Jefford said it appeared the defendant had in the past been “a fantastic mother” and was, if anything, an overanxious mother who encouraged Logan to learn, took part in activities, and demanded the best for him.

The judge added: “Something changed and changed significantly and tragically. I have no doubt your relationship with John Cole is what triggered that change.

“I do not accept your claims you had been in fear of John Cole. You had a volatile and argumentative relationship but you were perfectly able to stand up for yourself and did so.

“Your relationship caused your focus to shift away from Logan…. He became superfluous and the badly behaved, naughty, and demented child that no-one else who knew him described.

“Things had not changed so much that you would have physically attacked your own son and I sentence you on the basis you did not physically assault Logan but I am sure this ferocious and fatal assault would not have taken place without your full knowledge and collusion.

“You did not intend for Logan to die but the brutality of this assault means this carries little weight. To think of the anguish it would have caused Logan knowing his mother was involved in the assault and did nothing to protect him is unimaginable.”

The judge added: “You took part in and persisted in an extraordinary performance of a distraught mother of a missing son. You have not accepted any responsibility for your son’s death and have shown no remorse for your actions. You tried to pin the blame on [another woman]."

Turning to the youth defendant Mrs Justice Jefford said: “You will be taken to a secure place and not allowed to leave until you are told you can….

“I sentence you on the basis you physically assaulted Logan and were responsible for at least some of his injuries. You did what John Cole told you to do or you mirrored him.

“You were not involved in any mistreatment of Logan prior to the events that led to his death.”

The judge made reference to the youth referring to Logan as “the five-year-old” and of making threats to kill him.

She also did not take into account an allegation by Williamson that youth had pushed Logan down the stairs in 2020, referring to this evidence as “thoroughly unsatisfactory”.

She said she did take into account’s Logan’s age and his vulnerability would have been obvious to the defendant. The judge said: “You helped to dispose of the body and put on a show for the police.”

After sentencing Mrs Justice Jefford expressed her sympathies to the Mwangi family and thanked members of the jury and the police for their “thorough investigation”.

Wales online are posting several statements from bodies such as CPS, NCPCC, Council leaders, MPs. I won’t copy those over, but they are at the link I’ve posted previously if you want to read them. The Judge should be coming in soon to make a statement on the reporting restrictions on the youth, I’ll come back and post that

I really did not expect this

Youth's identity can now be revealed​

The youth convicted of murdering Logan Mwangi can now be revealed as Craig Mulligan, the 14-year-old stepbrother of his victim. The killing happened just a week after Mulligan came to live at Lower Llansantffraid after the family courts awarded custody of the teenager to Cole with the support of Williamson.

Craig Mulligan had been taken in by foster carers for eight weeks but they were unable to cope with his scary behaviour and he was allowed to return to Logan Mwangi's home

He also had a history of "cruel" attacks on young children, vulnerable adults and small animals and was trained in martial arts.

One foster carer said: "He was pure evil and enjoyed causing anxiety and fear. He knew no boundaries."

Mulligan had previously been taken in by foster carers for eight weeks in June and July 2021 but they were unable to cope with his scary behaviour and he was allowed to return to Mwangi's home.

Bridgend Social Services were aware that the foster family had been unable to cope with his behaviour.

After fostering 80 children over almost 50 years it was the first time the foster family had asked for a child in their care to be removed.

They had always done long term fostering but they were asked by the council to take in the teen for two months.

However, the teen soon showed his nasty side and on the first night showed their daughter a vape and a knife and they would regularly find knives hidden behind his pillows.

Mulligan was then moved into the family home just five days before the murder - a cruel fact described as "not a coincidence" in court.

His tragic move was approved by a family court judge after it was supported by Mulligan's social worker Debbie Williams.

Delivering her conclusion in respect of the reporting restriction covering Craig Mulligan the judge, Mrs Justice Jefford, said: “A crucial part of the case is the family dynamics and his relationship with the adult defendants and Logan.

“Evidence heard at trial was that Craig idolised his father -

have to assume she means JC, who took on the role of a parent ?

I really did not expect this

Youth's identity can now be revealed​

The youth convicted of murdering Logan Mwangi can now be revealed as Craig Mulligan, the 14-year-old stepbrother of his victim. The killing happened just a week after Mulligan came to live at Lower Llansantffraid after the family courts awarded custody of the teenager to Cole with the support of Williamson.

I expected him to be named, and I'm glad that he was. It wasn't the name i had heard though.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back