UK - Lois and John McCullough, 70s, daughter accused of killing parents between 21 Aug 2018 and Sept 2023, Chelmsford, Essex, 15 Sept 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

AcbMurders

Reaction score

Virginia McCullough, 35, of Pump Hill, near Great Baddow, Chelmsford was arrested on Friday.
Essex Police received reports for the welfare of two people in their 70s on Wednesday and said, based on available evidence, they believe they are no longer alive.

McCullough was arrested shortly after noon on Friday from an address in Pump Hill, Great Baddow, and officers remain at the address. Photographs show detectives dressed in white overalls entering the property, which remains cordoned off with police tape. Officers say the "investigation is at an early stage", but the are "making fast progress as they look to establish the circumstances of this matter."

Detective Superintendent Rob Kirby, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “Although we have received authorisation to charge Virginia McCullough, this complex and in-depth investigation will be continuing at pace throughout the coming weeks and months. I would also reiterate that our continued to belief is that this is an isolated incident and there is no threat to the wider Chelmsford or Essex public.

The police must have enough evidence to charge her with murder .

Last edited:

John Malcolm MCCULLOUGH​

Filter appointments​

Filter appointmentsCurrent appointments

Total number of appointments 2​

Date of birthJanuary 1949

SCIGOLF LIMITED (01622750)

Company statusDissolvedCorrespondence address7 Pump Hill, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 7JT
RoleSecretaryAppointed on5 May 2006
NationalityBritish

SCIGOLF LIMITED (01622750)

Company statusDissolvedCorrespondence address7 Pump Hill, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 7JT
RoleDirectorAppointed before1 October 1991
NationalityBritishCountry of residenceUnited KingdomOccupationConsultant

Woman charged with murdering her parents in Essex​

Virginia McCullough, 35, is accused of murdering John and Lois McCullough between 21 August 2018 and 15 September 2023 in Chelmsford, Essex, according to a court charge sheet.

Essex police said she had been charged with the murders of a man and a woman aged in their 70s. It is understood they are the defendant’s parents.

McCullough, from Chelmsford, was not asked to enter pleas during a two-minute hearing at Chelmsford magistrates court on Monday.

She spoke only to confirm her personal details. No details were opened in court. She was accompanied by a custody officer as she stood in the courtroom’s secure dock.

McCullough is next due to appear before Basildon crown court on Tuesday for a bail application hearing.

Essex police said they began an investigation after receiving reports of concern for the wellbeing of the two people aged in their 70s. The force said it believed the pair had died.

An Essex police spokesperson said: “A woman has been charged with two counts of murder following an investigation by detectives and staff from our serious crime directorate.

“On Wednesday September 13, we received reports of concerns for the welfare of two people aged in their 70s. As a result of the extensive work carried out by a dedicated investigative team, our strong belief based on all the evidence available is that the two people in question are no longer alive.

“The Crown Prosecution Service is in agreement with this assessment.”

The force said it had been authorised by the CPS to charge McCullough with two counts of murder.

Interesting (and slightly off topic?) that I cannot find an actual picture of her anywhere, or the victims. I wonder if they were a fairly reclusive family, considering that it seems there wasn’t much concern over not seeing the victims in several years. JMO. Curious to hear more.

Interesting (and slightly off topic?) that I cannot find an actual picture of her anywhere, or the victims. I wonder if they were a fairly reclusive family, considering that it seems there wasn’t much concern over not seeing the victims in several years. JMO. Curious to hear more.
No bodies and a very wide time frame for the possible murder date. But the police and CPS have enough evidence to charge VMc with double murder.

As a true crime ghoul I'm finding this all too fascinating! I wonder if any more information will be released after crown court appearance tomorrow?

UPDATE: Monday 18 September
Detectives investigating the deaths of a man and a woman in Chelmsford are in a position to confirm the remains of two people have been located.

This is all moving very quickly!

Court 2 - sitting at 09:45 am

Her Honour Judge Leigh

SITTING AT 09:45 am
For Preliminary Hearing
U20231089R Vs Virginia McCullough
DEFENDANT VIA PVL, PRE - CON 09:30am LV07. COUNSEL VIA CVP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back