Identified! UK - Longridge Fell, Preston, deceased male between 30-70, 5ft 5-5ft 7, weighing 28kg possibly with beard/mustache w/ walking gear, April 9 2023 - n/a

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Can you help us solve a mystery?

Earlier this month we were called to Longridge Fell to a report that a body had been found in woodland just off Birdy Brow.

Emergency services attended, including Bowland Mountain Rescue, and sadly found the body of a deceased male.

Despite a number of enquiries, we still have not been able to identify the man and we need your help to try and find out who he is.

The man’s death is being treated as unexplained, although there are no suspicious circumstances at this time.

A Home Office post-mortem examination was inconclusive and further tests are needed to try and establish how he died.

He is described as a white male aged anywhere between 30 and 70, between five ft five ins and five ft seven ins tall, described as very thin and only weighing 28kg. He may have had a beard and or moustache and had short dark greying hair. He did have a scar on his stomach which is consistent with an appendectomy.

We think the man’s body had been at the scene for some weeks but maybe as long as a few months.

He was wearing a pair of Salomon Quest 04 walking boots, a black Rab waterproof jacket and a black Rab and an Arc’teryx top underneath. He was also wearing Rohan trousers (pictures attached) and was suitably dressed for walking this type of terrain.

Det Insp Tammy Woodhouse, of East police, said: “While we have carried out a number of enquiries to try and find out who this man is we have so far been unable to identify him and I’m hoping that someone out there will recognise the description or the clothing and will be able to help us. Judging by his clothing he was probably someone who did a lot of walking or spent a lot of time outdoors and I would ask if you know someone like that who you haven’t seen for a while then please give us a call.

“It’s sad to think that we haven’t been able to identify this man or been able to contact any relatives he may have had so if you think you can help us, please do give us a call.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact us on 101 quoting log 0730 of April
1681984363542.png1681984315177.png1681984270774.png

Attachments

• 1681984244300.png
    1681984244300.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 3
My God. 28 kg is 62 pounds for you Americans. That’s about how much the average seven year old child weighs. If he’s been deceased for a few weeks he’s gotta be a bit decomposed. Maybe that affected his weight. Maybe he died from such a low body weight? Maybe he had an eating disorder in life such as anorexia or bulimia. I was this man’s weight when I was 10 and I was still underweight at 4’3” and 62 pounds (I was very small as a child.) so at 5’6” ish and 62 pounds, I cannot even picture it. I’m 109 pounds and I’m thin, even for a short girl like me, being just 5’2”. I looked emaciated at 4’10” 86 pounds at 13. This man probably had a very severe eating disorder. Or another thought: he was disabled. He maybe was unable to walk properly or had weak leg muscles and low muscle tone. Something consistent with a disability such as cerebral palsy.

Is it possible that the weight reported is incorrect? The weight reported would give him a BMI in the region of 13 which is extremely underweight and I’m not convinced he would have been physically able to go hiking. It would be useful to know what size the clothes were. The clothing brands are fairly expensive, proper outdoor gear which does suggests someone who was into hiking/spent a lot of time outdoors. There is a Rohan store in Preston which is relatively close by. I wonder if they would be able to identify the style of trousers and whether they are a current line or old stock.

Also interesting that they haven’t reported that any other possessions were found. He is wearing good quality walking clothes and hiking boots. It would seem quite unusual for a hiker to go out without a backpack or at the very least a water bottle & mobile phone.

Is it possible that the weight reported is incorrect? The weight reported would give him a BMI in the region of 13 which is extremely underweight and I’m not convinced he would have been physically able to go hiking. It would be useful to know what size the clothes were. The clothing brands are fairly expensive, proper outdoor gear which does suggests someone who was into hiking/spent a lot of time outdoors. There is a Rohan store in Preston which is relatively close by. I wonder if they would be able to identify the style of trousers and whether they are a current line or old stock.
I can see him maybe being 38 kg not 28 kg. 38 kg is 84 pounds. He’d still be emaciated but still able to move. My friend is 5’6” and he is about 85 pounds and moves just fine, he’s just very skinny. I can see how that’s the case for this man.

Although quite a distance away, this fellow’s description is not that far off.

Last edited:
Although quite a distance away, this fellow’s description is not that far off.

He’s a bit taller than John Doe but of course height may be affected by decomposition and muscle relaxation and contraction.

Further to our earlier appeals, we have now identified the body of a man found earlier this month in woodland off Birdy Brow in Longridge Fell.

Enquiries are ongoing to identify and speak to his next of kin.

The death is not being treated as suspicious.

Thank you to everyone who shared our appeals for information.
He got ID’d? Yay!

On the fbook link someone posted it was her father
Oh, bless her. That’s so sad. I’m not very close to my dad, I’ll admit we fight a lot, but I still love him. He is very important to me and if I lost him, I would be devastated and not know what to do.

Edit: Which link? The identification link or the link for when the body was found?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back