GUILTY UK - Louise Smith, 16, Havant, Hampshire, 8 May 2020 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't remember hearing that this was confirmed ?

I remember reading "IN" in the updates - I half thought it was a typo and it should be "ON".
but then I read about the hole, and I thought it must be linked. I think he made the hole to pour the liquid in

As for the sexual assault bit: the prosecution said there were signs the murder was sexually motivated, but I don't know whether they had other evidence apart from one particular injury... If they were able to find it. It wasn't mentioned in the updates. And then the papers just went with it!

MOO

Last edited:
I remember reading "IN" in the updates - I half thought it was a typo and it should be "ON".
but then I read about the hole, and I thought it must be linked. I think he made the hole to pour the liquid in

As for the sexual assault bit: the prosecution said there were signs the murder was sexually motivated, but I don't know whether they had other evidence apart from one particular injury... If they were able to find it. It wasn't mentioned in the updates. And then the papers just went with it!

MOO

I agree. I think the hole was to pour the liquid into. And the papers have just run with the suggestion of sexual assault - the bit about he feared he had made her pregnant when they have no real proof that he actually raped her

Rebbecca Cooper, Louise's mother, said in a statement:

"We would like to thank everyone who contributed in finding justice for our beautiful daughter Louise.

"No words can describe the loss we feel on a daily basis. She was our sunshine, and is truly missed by all that knew her.

"I cannot put it into words, but the pain inside is unbelievable just knowing we will never see her again.

"It has been a very hard few months, and the last four weeks have been traumatising to say the least.

"I want to say thank you to Mr Newton-Price and his team for all the hard work you have done on this case, and thank you to the police for everything you have done for us as a family.

"Please respect our wishes and let us finally grieve for our daughter."

Louise's father, Bradley Smith, has released the following statement:

"Louise was very much loved her whole young life. As a family, we wanted to give her happy times like taking her on holiday.

"We all find it impossible to accept that we will never hear her voice or see her cheeky smile again.

"Our chance to see her grow up has been ripped away from us.

"As a father, I moved away to try and build a life for both of us. I’ll never get a chance to share that with her.

"The loss of Louise has destroyed our family.

"I want to thank the community of Leigh Park for supporting my family and the investigation into her killing.

"Please respect our privacy, and allow us to grieve as a family."

Man convicted of murdering 16-year-old Louise Smith from Leigh Park

Glad to hear it confirmed, not that I had any doubt that he was guilty, but you never know what may happen until the verdict is in. I hope he gets a decent sentence, it'll probably end in my usual irritation at our sentencing guidelines though, they never seem long enough to be a fair reflection of modern-day lifespans: no matter the sentence, at his age he'll be out while still young enough to be perfectly capable of something similar :(

I was like this waiting for the Alesha MacPhail verdict,it was awful

Gah, that one was awful, especially as an islander (though a different one).

Unsurprised at the verdict, since it seemed the only possible one, but glad to see Mays away for life or a long while at least, and deeply sad for Louise's family and friends, who must miss her terribly.

And thanks to all who have tirelessly posted updates over the past weeks in order for the rest of us to scroll smoothly (if sometimes faintheartedly) through the trial as it happened.

Last edited:
I've had the busiest day with the kids today so only now catching up! Not surprised at Guilty as that is what he deserved! I am slightly suprised at how quick it was. So glad justice was done. Louise can now rest in peace.

Many thanks again to the updates team!

Sentencing - sounds like he's on CVP today

The Crown Court
at Winchester

Daily Courtroom List for Wednesday 09 December 2020
FINAL 1

WINCHESTER

Court 1
- sitting at 10:30 am

THE HONOURABLE MRS JUSTICE MAY DBE

COUNSEL TO ATTEND COURT UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED OTHERWISE

For Sentence
T20207045 MAYS Shane L
44PC0407020 PORTM Crown Prosecution Service

defendant to be produced

22 minutes ago
Sentencing today
Shane Mays will be sentenced today for murdering Louise Smith. Jurors convicted him in just more than two hours yesterday

b25lY21zOjkyN2JjYTM3LWRiNjUtNGY3NS1hZTFkLTQxYzY3MTRiMjNmNDpiYjA5ZmU4MS04YTBkLTQ5NWYtYTg0Zi1iY2FkNjI4YzM2ODY=.jpg

Louise Smith trial: Shane Mays convicted of brutally murdering teenager
BRUTAL Shane Mays has been convicted of murdering 16-year-old Louise Smith in a ‘perverted sexual lust’ after luring her to a secluded clearing.

Live updates as Shane Mays is sentenced for murdering teenager Louise Smith

21 minutes ago
Learning review to take place
Hampshire County Council confirmed a learning review will be carried out following Louise's death.

As reported, the teenager had a social worker who she spoke with the day before she was murdered by Mays.

The county council statement said: ‘We do not provide details about individual cases.

‘All of the evidence heard in court will be considered alongside all other relevant information from the council and other agencies by the Hampshire Safeguarding Children Partnership in its learning review.’

10:04EMMA PENGELLY
Good morning
The sentencing of Shane Mays, the 30-year-old man found guilty of murdering the teenager Louise Smith, is due to take place today (December 9).

After around two hours of deliberations yesterday (December 8), the jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty.

Mays had already pleaded guilty to manslaughter, but was charged with murder.

We will be providing live updates from today's proceedings in this blog.

Shane Mays to be sentenced for murdering Louise Smith - live

9 minutes ago
Mays in the dock - court begins
Mays is in the dock now. Prosecutor James Newton-Price QC, and defence counsel Andrew Langdon QC are in court along with the judge, Mrs Justice Juliet May.

2 minutes ago
‘Pure evil’
Statement from Louise’s mother Rebbecca Cooper says: 'You have taken away a part of my heart away which will never be replaced.

‘You killed my daughter Louise in such a traumatic way but then did what you did afterwards is beyond words - you are a monster - what gave you the right to do that?’

She adds: ‘You came to my house the day you killed her, looked me in the eyes with no remorse when you knew what you had done was pure evil.’

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back