DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Next week's witness timetable Witness Timetable | The Thirlwall Inquiry

Week 4 – Part B evidence

Monday 30 SeptemberSir Robert Francis KC – Expert Witness
Tuesday 1 OctoberDr John Gibbs – Consultant Paediatrician
Wednesday 2 OctoberDr Rachel Lambie – Paediatric Registrar

Dr Matthew Neame – Paediatric Registrar

Dr Huw Mayberry – Paediatric Registrar (remotely)

Dr Cassandra Barrett – Paediatric Registrar
Thursday 3 OctoberDr Elizabeth Newby – Consultant Paediatrician

Dr Murthie Saladi – Consultant Paediatrician

Dr Suzy Holt – Consultant Paediatrician

I think the serial killer nurse is always going to find a way to do harm, knowing what the cameras capture and don't capture. I think what went wrong in this case could be prevented with a better system of flagging up unexpected events, and communication of that to all senior team members, adhering to rules about two person procedures, and regular training and preparedness to think anybody, whatever impression you have of them, could be causing deliberate harm, or independent and rapid evaluation of serious incidents from an outside agency, who does not know the personnel at the hospital.
And this is the salient point, imo. Someone who is intent on doing something illegal is going to do it. Whatever safeguard you put up is just a obstacle for someone to negotiate. These things might stop some people and might make the careless or reckless consider their actions more but anyone with highly nefarious intent is going to find a way. Someone who is actually worried about the consequences of being caught will be deterred but the true criminal wont be - my grandfather used to use the phrase ...locks are only to keep honest folks out.... In the end, I think that LL reached a point where she either didn't think she'd be caught or didn't care if she was.

Don't get me wrong, when we discussed this months back I was quite in favour of having cameras on patients but for all the reasons mentioned I don't see much benefit and the privacy issues alone outweigh any benefit, I think.

The second highlighted point is the real issue here; the issues relating to LL were most certainly flaged by the group of doctors but management simply dismissed those concerns and even made threats towards these doctors. The system actually worked well as regards this stuff being brought to the attention of the relevant people, it's just that the relevant people didn't act on it and even appear to have acted in such a way as to make the problem of LL even worse. This, imo, is going to be the main conclusion of the inquiry.

When a group of senior, highly experienced doctors are all saying the same thing you should be taking that as face value and investigating.

It's awful to think that there is the potential to generalise a cause of death due to prematurity in the same way as if the victim is very elderly
I didn't think they recorded things like that anymore. Didn't it change after Shipman? He was writing causes of death as "old age" but old age doesn't kill you - specific physiological things do - like your heart stopping, for instance.

Speaking as a totally uneducated person as regards medical stuff, it's surely the same as regards prematurity? Things caused by the prematurity cause death, not prematurity per-se?

It's hard and I understand the recent fears of some of the medical staff now because if the coroners start automatically looking at each case as if it could be suspicious death, then is it more probable that various nurses or doctors will be suspected and accused of harm, even if innocent?
I'm not sure every death needs to be looked at by the coroner as if it could be suspicious. If there was a system of ticking a box marked "unexpected", and a further box to elaborate on the medical history, signed off by two doctors so that there is oversight to make sure the box is ticked where appropriate, it would only happen where warranted.

Imo this article is bang on ...the no blame culture and procedures to "better" staff who are incompetent or "bad apples" are extreme.
We often said it's virtually impossible to.lose your job in the nhs
I think that’s true in many many places sadly- it always surprises me though that nothing was put in place. I understand it swings both ways and often HR may stick to the side of caution before going all in- but where are the in between steps. Liverpool women’s hospital saw issues, did they implement a training plan, or monitoring plan, or were they just glad to sign off on someone and send them elsewhere in the hope they would do better? Complaints were made at the countess and she was moved off ward duty- but then what, how they mitigate or improve or monitor her practice, or did they just send her back onto the wards. There is a lot of “well this was our scope of engagement and we did our bit”- which ultimately ended up with nothing being actioned anywhere- but I’m sure lots of paperwork and tick boxes completed.

It seems hospitals, or at least the two mentioned lack any sort of internal protocol for investigating concerns and it’s a big leap to being sacked via HR or even suspended without those intermediary procedures normally happening. There policy below will have been updated now I’m sure, but there were so many other routes that should have been taken, not just well we told HR and they didn’t take us seriously

LADO, existed at the time and is independent of the place of work, and not as formal as the police- we used it in schools and childcare settings and it was equally pushed for NHS and care settings- were they ever informed?

I didn't think they recorded things like that anymore. Didn't it change after Shipman? He was writing causes of death as "old age" but old age doesn't kill you - specific physiological things do - like your heart stopping, for instance.

Speaking as a totally uneducated person as regards medical stuff, it's surely the same as regards prematurity? Things caused by the prematurity cause death, not prematurity per-se?
Yes I agree..I meant the pathologist and the Neonatal consultants themselves to a degree are unlikely to be suspicious of a death of a very prem baby in the same way as if the deceased was very elderly.
It seems almost like a take your pick of common premature complications such as NEC , lung disease or infection even if the clinical tests didn't particularly indicate it.
In the same way as in the very Elderly it might be a pneumonia or heart or kidney disease
An automatic mindset of not digging deep to look for a cause if that makes sense

Lucy Letby Thirlwall Inquiry: I failed to protect babies, doctor tells inquiry

10:51AM

Evidence hearing begins​

It’s week four of the Thirlwall Inquiry. Today, the inquiry is hearing evidence from Dr John Gibbs, a consultant paediatrician who worked at the Countess of Chester during the years Lucy Letby was a nurse on the neonatal unit.

Over the last two weeks, the inquiry has conducted private sessions with witnesses the heard expert evidence.

11:14AM

Doctor initially had ‘no concerns’ over child’s sudden death​

Dr John Gibbs said that he originally had ‘no concerns’ over the death of Child C who deteriorated quickly and died in June 2015.

Letby was convicted of killing the baby just four days after its birth by injecting air into its stomach.

Dr Gibbs said he was called to the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester in the evening, at which point Child C had already collapsed and staff were attempting resuscitation.

He said: “When a baby suddenly collapses you would hope to get some response even if it was not sustained.

“I attended 10 minutes into the resuscitation and there was no response onwards. I didn’t know why Child C had collapsed and died.”

Asked by Nicholas de la Poer KC, counsel for the inquiry, whether he had any concerns that there was anything ‘wildly out of the ordinary’, he replied: “Not at all.”

Dr Gibbs also said he did not feel that Child C had the same rash as the other babies, which had been later deemed as a sign of air ambolism.

11:20AM

I worried baby deaths were from ‘superbug’ or contamination, says doctor​

Dr John Gibbs, a paediatric consultant at the Countess of Chester, said that he was concerned that there was an infection or medical problem behind the deaths of babies on the unit.

He told the hearing. “There was something that was affecting these babies.

“I worried at this stage that we had some kind of medical problem on the unit, you do get superbugs or some nasty infection, or as has happened on some units, contamination of the feeding fluid for babies.”

11:33AM

Doctor felt sympathy for Letby after noticing correlation​

Dr John Gibbs, a consultant at the neonatal unit, said he originally felt sympathy for Lucy Letby after it was noticed she had been present at the resuscitation of four babies who had died.

He said that he himself had experienced a ‘bad run’ where there had been a high number of incidents and deaths.

“I felt sympathy for Letby at that time, because I felt she had been unlucky to be involved in a number of incidents,” he told the hearing.

“It can happen to any of us, and it’s happened to me during my career, that you have a bad run when you’re on call or on duty, and in a short space of time a number of unfortunate incidents and other deaths may happen, but that stops happening, it’s just an unfortunate coincidence.

“I’m not sure how closely we considered other members of staff. Obviously Letby wasn’t the only nurse involved in all of those.”

11:58AM

It is not always possible to explain a death, says doctor​

Dr John Gibbs said that he was initially satisfied that Child C’s death had been “partly explained”. After receiving a cause of death from a post mortem, he said he felt a sense of “relief”.

He added: “It would not compensate for the tragedy of losing a child, but is likely to help a bit with an explanation for the child’s death.

“Some causes of death will have an influence or possible consequences for future children or pregnancies and so on.”

He said that in his experience of neonatal units “it was not always possible to explain a death”.

He added: “When that situation keeps arising, something very strange is happening.”

12:07PM

‘Serious collective failure’ from paediatric team​

Dr John Gibbs said that with “hindsight” it was a “serious collective failure” on the part of the paediatric team not to recognise the significance of blood test results relating to Child F in 2015.

The results showed that insulin had been given to him, but Dr Gibbs told the inquiry he only became aware of them two years later.

12:21PM

Doctor presumed Letby’s innocence​

Discussing the death of Child I, who Lucy Letby killed with an injection of air into her stomach and bloodstream, Dr John Gibbs said he did not realise at the time that she was responsible for other attacks.

He said this influenced his thinking as to why the baby had collapsed. “I thought this was a baby who was quite precarious, who decompensated quickly,” he said.

Dr Gibbs denied telling the mother of Child I that her baby needed to have a post-mortem in order to clear the hospital of wrongdoing.

He said he “was sure the mother” thought he said that “so he was not going to argue with her”, but said he would never tell the family of a patient that they were being forced into having a post-mortem.

12:30PM

Letby’s involvement realised by early 2016​

Dr John Gibbs has been asked about a thematic review that took place in February 2016 into the higher-than-expected mortality rate at the unit in 2015.

He said: “By 2016 [there was] definitely the realisation that Letby was involved with most of them.

“There were some deaths and collapses that I knew she wasn’t around at the time, but that association was causing concern.”

He added that it would have been “inappropriate” to tell CQC inspectors who visited the hospital that same month about their concerns.

“It is a bit inappropriate to just tell the CQC inspectors when they happen to be visiting if you haven’t tried to sort that out within your own trust management structure,” he said, adding: “It’s almost like telling Ofsted you’ve got a problem with the teacher, and you’ve never told anyone in the school.”

12:40PM

I should have gone to the police after senior nurses closed ranks, says doctor​

On 7 April, 2016, Lucy Letby was moved to day shifts after concerns were raised about a connection between her working at night when babies collapsed unexpectedly.

Dr John Gibbs said “one aspect that made it more difficult” to “confirm his suspicions” was a “very firm pushback” from senior nurses.

He said: ”There was a very strong argument being put forward from the senior nurse on the unit, that this suspicion was totally wrong and that it was maligning nurse Letby and that she was a very competent, safe nurse.”

Dr Gibbs admitted that he should have gone to the police following the thematic review.

He said: “I regret that we or I didn’t go to the police at this time after the thematic review. Why didn’t I go straight to the police, why didn’t we paediatricians go straight to the police?

“I know the parents of the later babies will not thank us for this”.

He said that while there were suspicions that something might have been done to the babies “it was best managed” through senior levels in the trust.

1:00PM

Doctor did not suspect Letby despite further deaths​

Dr John Gibbs said that even after further collapses occurred in April, including those of Child L and his twin brother, Child M, he “still wasn’t clear that harm was happening to the babies”.

He said: “Despite that thematic review most of the babies had an explanation for their deaths from the post mortem.”

Dr Gibbs said that while all of the babies hadn’t had post-mortem’s the majority had done.

He continued: “Because we had explanations for all the deaths I wasn’t sure that harm had happened to these babies.”

He said that while some of the babies did “have risk factors”, there were “unusual features like strange rashes”.

“They were deaths that had explanations but they weren’t entirely satisfactory, especially when you look back at them.”

Following the collapse of Child O, on 23 June 2016, however, Dr Gibbs said his first thought was not “it’s Letby again” but just that “we have had another collapse”.

He said: “Looking back on it it sounds foolish to say I just wasn’t sure what’s happening on the unit.”

1:12PM

Inquiry breaks for lunch​

The inquiry will resume at 2.05pm

2:59PM

Letby only allowed back onto ward if CCTV installed​

After the death of two babies, Child O and P, on successive days in June 2016 , Lucy Letby was removed from the hospital’s neonatal unit after consultants suspected she deliberately harmed them.

Dr John Gibbs said after Letby was removed from the unit she could only be allowed to return to the ward if CCTV cameras were installed, or she was monitored by another nurse “at all times”.

He said: “I didn’t think that was likely to be possible… We’d never have got them up in time.” He said that it was just “a way of trying to make it difficult for her to come back”.

Discussing the use of air embolism to kill the babies, he said it was: “A devious and subtle way of trying to harm patients which tends to leave nothing behind afterwards for the post mortem to find”.

He said it was “a silent, hidden way of killing that leaves nothing at post mortem.”

Lucy Letby Thirlwall Inquiry: Senior nurses closed ranks around Letby, says doctor

3:10PM

Nurses falsely accused elsewhere weighed on doctor’s mind​

The inquiry heard that Dr John Gibbs had previously told colleagues “we should be cautious in necessarily attributing a causal relationship with Letby” following the case of another nurse at a nearby hospital who had been falsely accused.

He said that in that case the nurse had been wrongly accused after there was a “correlation between her being present and certain incidents”.

He said it was the parallel with the case against Letby that had raised his concerns and made him more cautious.

He added: “I think we don’t want to go there too much because of what’s been said about the Letby trials, but there are other nurses who have been accused of harming children because they seem to be around at the wrong times.”

Dr Gibbs said a review of the unit by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child health in September left him “disappointed”.

He said: “It’s just disappointing that they didn’t pass an opinion on whether they felt the deaths were explained by pressures on the unit.”

3:22PM

Confidential review reported Letby link in 2016​

The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health was invited to review the spike in baby deaths by the hospital in 2016 and produced two reports.

Although one report was made public, a second “confidential” version was also written, which stated consultants had identified Lucy Letby was on shift for all deaths and had become “convinced by the link”.

The authors said that view was “quite subjective” and warned there was “no other evidence or reports of clinical concern beyond this simple correlation”.

Following the RCPCH report Dr Gibbs said his head was left “swimming” and in January 2017 senior consultants were called into a meeting to discuss Ms Letby’s future.

He said: “It was emotional, a letter was read out from Letby by one of the senior nurses in a quite emotional tone.

“Then we were told how much we’d upset Letby by the chief executive, and told firmly that the board had accepted the findings that there had been no evidence of any wrongdoing, and that Letby was exonerated, or, I don’t know if he used the word exonerated, but no evidence against her, and that a line was being drawn under this.”

He added: “It was clear that was the end of it. These reports had shown no wrongdoing, and we were to apologise to Letby.”

3:42PM

We defied NHS managers’ orders and urged BMA to investigate, says doctor​

Dr John Gibbs told the inquiry that in February 2017 he contacted the British Medical Association to ask for advice.

When asked why he had done so, he said: “[Because] we were going against what the managers clearly advised that that was the end of the discussion about Letby.”

He added: “We defied what we were told and we were starting to ask questions.”

A letter was sent to the Chief Executive by the consultants urging a coronial investigation into the deaths. At this time Letby was still working in the hospital but in a non-clinical role.

Dr Gibbs said that by February 2017 “trust between ourselves and senior executives was breaking down”.

Police were not brought in to investigate the increased mortality rate until May 2017 as Letby remained at the hospital in a non-patient role until her arrest in July 2018, the inquiry has heard.

3:49PM

Apology letter was for stress caused not false accusation, says doctor​

On 28 February, the consultants, including Dr John Gibbs “wrote a letter of apology” to Lucy Letby.

Dr Gibbs told the inquiry that he had not been apologising for the accusations, but for the “stress that had been caused”.

He said: “Some of my colleagues say we never accused her of anything. I think we were implying quite strongly what we were accusing her of.

“We didn’t apologise for having raised concerns that she may have harmed patients.”

Lucy Letby Thirlwall Inquiry: Senior nurses closed ranks around Letby, says doctor

But by February 2016, he [Dr Gibbs] agreed that concerns had begun to "coalesce" about whether a member of staff was causing deliberate harm.

He told the inquiry he could not remember whether suspicions began to form before the end of 2015, but the "big worry" followed an internal review in February which examined mortality rates and showed a breakdown of how many incidents Letby had been on duty for.

The review also revealed that six babies had deteriorated suddenly between the hours of midnight and 04:00.

He said: "I didn’t realise there had been quite so many deaths either, so the full enormity of it started to hit me when I saw that review."

[...]

Dr Gibbs said on 30 June [2016] there was a specific discussion amongst the consultants about whether Letby had been harming babies by injecting them with air bubbles.

He told the inquiry that he now believed that he and the other consultants should have bypassed senior management and contacted the police themselves - a year before hospital bosses actually did so.

The inquiry heard that following a third baby death in June 2015, he emailed his consultant colleagues to relay concerns from registrars that the infants involved “showed a strange purpuric looking rash” and that nurses on the unit were also “very worried”. Dr Gibbs said Letby’s name came up as a “common factor” in July 2015 because she was involved in the resuscitation attempts of all three babies and another infant who was successfully revived. [...]

He said it was his understanding that Dr Brearey told medical director Ian Harvey and director of nursing Alison Kelly on May 1 2016 about their suspicions Letby was deliberately harming babies. Dr Gibbs said: “He fed back to us that no decision had been made but senior managers would consider the problem and hopefully would come to a decision.

“That could have been a trigger, it should have been a trigger, that we bypass the managers and went to the police. We failed to do that.”

more at link

4:43PM

Inquiry finished for the day​

The inquiry will resume at 10am on Friday morning when it will hear evidence from paediatric registrars Dr Rachel Lambie, Dr Matthew Neame, Dr Huw Mayberry, and Dr Cassandra Barrett.

How strange. These witnesses were scheduled to give evidence every day this week except Friday.

4:43PM

Inquiry finished for the day​

The inquiry will resume at 10am on Friday morning when it will hear evidence from paediatric registrars Dr Rachel Lambie, Dr Matthew Neame, Dr Huw Mayberry, and Dr Cassandra Barrett.

How strange. These witnesses were scheduled to give evidence every day this week except Friday.
Very odd, the BBC said it would resume tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241001_181616_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_181616_Chrome.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members